Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-Line Yesterday
Did Pittsburgh do something with their rush we haven't seen, was our O-Line just off or was it something else?

When given time Andy has carved apart defenses this year and even did so yesterday when he had more than 2 seconds to throw! However not having any time and getting sacked is what we saw a lot of yesterday.

Don't get me wrong and think the is a negative thread the O-line has been stellar all year just wondering what happened yesterday?
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 09:23 AM)corpjet Wrote: Did Pittsburgh do something with their rush we haven't seen, was our O-Line just off or was it something else?

When given time Andy has carved apart defenses this year and even did so yesterday when he had more than 2 seconds to throw!  However not having any time and getting sacked is what we saw a lot of yesterday.

Don't get me wrong and think the is a negative thread the O-line has been stellar all year just wondering what happened yesterday?

When there's rush everyone points fingers at the line. The fact is Gio while making his blocks was pushed back into the QB often. Eifert was beat a lot in pass protection. Steelers brought the zone blitz forcing the bengals to keep guys in to mass protect. Combine that with the receivers not getting open on their hot reads means a long day for Dalton. The worst thing about the line was bad snaps between the center and QB and the pre snap penalties.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The team didn't run the ball, that was the problem. Hill looked good, breaking nice runs early. So of course Hue decided to stop running, because you know, that's logical.

Did the O-line have their best game? No. However things were exacerbated by the fact the Steelers didn't have to honour the run. I really hope we see a few more games where we pound it. We have a good running game and I don't see why we should put too much on Dalton. Any other team, even the Patriots with Brady, lean on the running game in hostile matchups. Hue has done a good job this year, but I want to see more balance going forward.

Reply/Quote
Nothing wrong with the OL, they played their asses off. Was pretty impressed with Boling's effort, he stuck with his pass pro blocks longer than I can remember seeing him do before.

Pittsburgh just executed a good defensive game plan. Also, this is the 1st season that I can remember them having both Shazier and Jarvis Jones healthy, and playing well.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Both O Lines got beat by the D Lines....We got beat in the trenches on offense, no doubt about it......The 16 to 10 score shows DEFENSE dominated the day....It was much like the Bengals 13 to 10 win in 2012 at Pittsburg.......We are 7-0, so our O Line must be doing something right. I liked the block to break Hill for a large gain, that was a hole you could drive a bus through.  There must have been blocking on the game winning TD pass of Dalton to Green. I think our O Line will have better days than yesterday........All that said, Houston D Line will pose a problem, but so will our D Line in that game. ....Dalton and Big Ben had D players in their face most of the game. Both D Lines were on their game. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 09:23 AM)corpjet Wrote: Did Pittsburgh do something with their rush we haven't seen, was our O-Line just off or was it something else?

When given time Andy has carved apart defenses this year and even did so yesterday when he had more than 2 seconds to throw!  However not having any time and getting sacked is what we saw a lot of yesterday.

I choose to give the Steelers players and coaches credit for a great plan and an intense pass rush. Add in how hard it is for the OL to hear in a hostile environment and the OL struggled at times, but no unit is going to win every week.

I though Bodine was the weak link yesterday with the bad snaps, but being pushed back into AD's face quickly.

The Steelers defense is extremely fast and they won the LOS scrimmage yesterday. We will see them again at home so let's see how we adapt next time around.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Anyone hear about Smith- is he ok?

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 10:19 AM)kevin Wrote: Both O Lines got beat by the D Lines....We got beat in the trenches on offense, no doubt about it......The 16 to 10 score shows DEFENSE dominated the day....It was much like the Bengals 13 to 10 win in 2012 at Pittsburg.......We are 7-0, so our O Line must be doing something right. I liked the block to break Hill for a large gain, that was a hole you could drive a bus through.  There must have been blocking on the game winning TD pass of Dalton to Green. I think our O Line will have better days than yesterday........All that said, Houston D Line will pose a problem, but so will our D Line in that game. ....Dalton and Big Ben had D players in their face most of the game. Both D Lines were on their game. 

I really felt like there were moments when Ben had all day to throw.  We did get to him for some key sacks though.  
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 10:23 AM)Shouldamapads Wrote: Anyone hear about Smith- is he ok?

I read that he was pulled with concussion. 
Reply/Quote
I believe several things played into the O-line not doing so well.

1. We got behind early and stayed there. It wasn't a huge deficit but it still compounded things.

2. The penalties, bad snaps, and miscues kept us behind the chains and in unfavorable down and distance - a lot.

3. Pittsburgh game planned us well and executed it well.

4. We started off tight and pressing hard against our biggest nemesis, the snowball effect took over and it just compounded itself.

5. I think the coaches also panicked a bit and abandoned the run to early.

I'm not going to start yelling the sky is falling just yet.
Reply/Quote
Im chalking yesterday up to familiarity between the two teams. They know how to blitz us and get back there.
Reply/Quote
Our non-olinemen that are required to block weren't doing a great job of blocking.

The line made some mental mistakes and got beat quite a few more times than they should have for being a regularly stout unit.

Andy was pressured far too many times it seemed, it wasn't acceptable, but a win is a win and I can assume the pass blocking will be back to normal in a few days. Onto Cleveland.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 10:55 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Our non-olinemen that are required to block weren't doing a great job of blocking.

The line made some mental mistakes and got beat quite a few more times than they should have for being a regularly stout unit.

Andy was pressured far too many times it seemed, it wasn't acceptable, but a win is a win and I can assume the pass blocking will be back to normal in a few days. Onto Cleveland.

I agree with this.

Call me nuts, but Vernon Davis seems to available and is a very good blocker who can also stretch the field at TE. I hope we go get him as I think he helps us get better.

The RB's also need to block better.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
The play calling was bad. I don't understand why we didn't run the ball more.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 11:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree with this.

Call me nuts, but Vernon Davis seems to available and is a very good blocker who can also stretch the field at TE. I hope we go get him as I think he helps us get better.

The RB's also need to block better.

That would be quite the treat to see the Bengals go out and get some help like that to make a run. I'd be pleasantly surprised to see something like that happen. I'd have no problem with a 1 year rental on a player of his caliber. I doubt he would have a problem learning new terminology quickly, and he would be a huge upgrade over what we're lining up at TE past Eifert.

The RBs need to pick up the blitz better than they have been, but it's also hard to expect a guy like Gio being able to block the premier pass rushers of the league. I'm hoping the Steelers didn't expose a weakness in the Bengals offense, but at the same time, I don't think many other teams have the defensive personnel to do what Pitt did to us. Not every team is built on speed like that.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 10:09 AM)BritishBengal Wrote: The team didn't run the ball, that was the problem. Hill looked good, breaking nice runs early. So of course Hue decided to stop running, because you know, that's logical.

Did the O-line have their best game? No. However things were exacerbated by the fact the Steelers didn't have to honour the run. I really hope we see a few more games where we pound it. We have a good running game and I don't see why we should put too much on Dalton. Any other team, even the Patriots with Brady, lean on the running game in hostile matchups. Hue has done a good job this year, but I want to see more balance going forward.
That was certainly my feeling yesterday.   Hill was averaging 9 yards a carry in the first half and had very few carries.  Then when they decided to run it later in the game they telegraphed it with the "heavy" package.   I don't know what Hue was thinking.  I had expected them to solve that problem at half time.

I think running it more would have opened up the middle for the Bengals to utilize our TE and slot receivers more, giving Dalton more effective hot reads.

Pittsburgh had a really good game plan.  Hopefully we make the adjustments.  Otherwise we're going to have some serious troubles with St. Louis, Arizona and Denver.
Reply/Quote
The OL definitely had a tough day. That's one of the biggest reasons AD's balls were coming out higher than normal, because his pocket was never clean and the DL was in his face a lot.

It happens, Pitt had a great plan and blitzes very well. They get paid to make plays too. Hopefully we'll adjust for the next game against Pitt in Cincy.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2015, 10:39 AM)JonasNJ Wrote: I read that he was pulled with concussion. 

I blame it on him being fat and out of shape.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
O-line had problems yesterday.  But I just see it as one bad game.  They have been playing to well for to long to panic over one bad game.

Steelers have a good pass rush (5th in sacks) but our O-line has played much better against other teams that have good pass rushers.  Ravens and Chiefs are tied for 6th in the league in sacks, and the Seahawks rank 8th.  So 4 of our 7 opponents rank in the top 8 in sacks, yet Dalton has been sacked fewer times than any other QB in the league.
Reply/Quote
How many more bad snaps can we have with Bodine tho? It seems like each game Andy is running for his life to find the ball from some horrid snap. Yesterday Gio saved it thank goodness, could have been returned for a TD.

I think Bodine is a decent player after the snap, but goodness son get that ball to Andy!
Reply/Quote