Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-line prediction
(03-09-2022, 08:45 PM)WVUHomer Wrote: Why not the Williams bros at bookend considering this FA class is stronger in the interior?

Sounds good to me, Daryl can play OT too so that would be a nice trade for us depending on how expensive it would be.

(03-09-2022, 10:11 PM)samhain Wrote: I feel like the Jensen rumors are starting to sound legit.  There's a tweet going around from a Pittsburgh insider on 937 the Fan (local radio in that godforsaken shithole), where the "insider" is discouraging Steeler fans from getting their hopes up about signing him because he feels that there's a 95 percent chance that Jensen to the Bengals is a done deal.

A lot can change by the 14th, but there's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be some fire with that rumor.

Hmmm, people sure are putting a lot of stock in this rumor that is for sure.

(03-09-2022, 11:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I could see us adding Jensen...but I don't get all the talk of it being a done deal. You can't negotiate yet.

Jensen is an upgrade for sure.

Yes Jensen is and he plays mean at times, something Hopkins hardly ever does.

(03-09-2022, 11:26 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: PFF projected Jensen to Bengals on Feb 21. 3 years $39 million. Which appears to be the exact numbers that Adam Jones little birdie told him last week...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-landing-spots-pff-top-50-free-agents

Still think that is a bit spendy for a Center at his age but wouldn't hate it as long as we can still get a RT like Trent Brown
or Morgan Moses. 

(03-10-2022, 12:36 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Im not all that excited about signing Jensen.  I dont know if it is wise for the Bengals to spend 13 million a year on a center with a 70.3 PFF.  I know Jensen made the Pro Bowl but Creed Humphrey by comparison had a 91.4 PFF.   Despite the Pro Bowl nod, I think Jensen is overrated.

As much as I think the O-line needs a major overhaul, I think that 13 million could be better spent elsewhere.

PFF isn't everything. You watch Jensen on the field and he looks better than that IMO.

Speaking of Creed Humphrey he has shorter arms and he fell cause of it. Thinking Linderbaum will fall to us with his shorter 
arms and we should consider him if we don't get a Center in Free Agency.

(03-10-2022, 01:35 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Jensen is a beast.  You would love him.  We haven't had a guy like him in a long time.  Bucs wont let him go easily and I think we have a much less chance than what others are saying.  With Marpet retiring, Cappa and Jensen in free agency they are reeling.  They need to keep one badly and Jensen is their favorite.

Bozeman would be very good and not much cheaper, but Jensen is the man.

Would love to add both Jensen and Cappa, yah never know.
Reply/Quote
LT: JONAH
LG: LAKEN TOMLINSON
C: JENSEN
RG: ZION JOHNSON
RT: LA'EL COLLINS

I would like to see a camp battle between Zion, Carman and D'ante for RG but ultimately I think ZJ would win. I would do dirty, nasty things for this OL.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 08:42 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: LT: JONAH

I would like to see a camp battle between Zion, Carman and D'ante for RG but ultimately I think ZJ would win.  I would do dirty, nasty things for this OL.

I love it but you might want to go cheaper than Tomlinson, maybe Norwell on a big discount?  Just dont see them paying this much on 3 guys.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 08:42 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: LT: JONAH

I would like to see a camp battle between Zion, Carman and D'ante for RG but ultimately I think ZJ would win. I would do dirty, nasty things for this OL.

I really think Carman is a starter on the line next year, somewhere. They invested a 2nd round pick on him. Honestly, they need to see this out and see if he can take a big next step next year. I see 2 tier B FA signings, one around 12M APY and one around 9M APY. Pick 31 will be either Corner or O line.

They will resign Ogenjobi 8M APY (this puts his cap hit for DT around 20th in the league). Possibly Apple if we can get him end of Free agency on a near vet mim. Deal. Like 1-2M. I also think they try to get Uzomah back 7M APY.

After that (including Bates 13M) FA is basically over.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 09:56 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I really think Carman is a starter on the line next year, somewhere. They invested a 2nd round pick on him. Honestly, they need to see this out and see if he can take a big next step next year. I see 2 tier B FA signings, one around 12M APY and one around 9M APY. Pick 31 will be either Corner or O line.

They will resign Ogenjobi 8M APY (this puts his cap hit for DT around 20th in the league).  Possibly Apple if we can get him end of Free agency on a near vet mim. Deal. Like 1-2M. I also think they try to get Uzomah back 7M APY.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised by Carman but the fact of the matter is he didn't start this season over the worst guard in the league.  If he ends up a swing backup at both guards he will likely see playing time.  Id rather have too many capable OL than not enough.  We can't mess around with this and let Joe take 70 sacks again.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 10:02 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I would love to be pleasantly surprised by Carman but the fact of the matter is he didn't start this season over the worst guard in the league.  If he ends up a swing backup at both guards he will likely see playing time.  Id rather have too many capable OL than not enough.  We can't mess around with this and let Joe take 70 sacks again.

I do agree with that thought. I just highly doubt the Bengals took a second round pick on a LT, don’t start him year 1, and don’t start him year 2.

If we sign 3 O line FA + bates, we have no more CAP for anyone else. We still need 2 more DT, a starting CB, starting TE. I think Carman starts out of necessity.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 07:46 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what I was thinking but he was arguably their best young player going into FA and others said he would get the tag.

Happy we can get a look at Daniels and hopefully sign him to a long term contract. He fits exactly what Pollack said he wants
and can play all the interior positions. Makes Hop and Spain expendable.

Great points.  We have to land at least one long term player if not two, even Jonah isnt locked in.  

The fit is perfect in scheme and financially, call him at the start and if 10M/yr is all it takes let him pick the years.  The bigger picture is it lets you go after the next best FA fit no matter if it's guard or center after that since he plays both well.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 12:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I've been concerned from the beginning.

Center has 2 strong candidates and like the OP said the Bucs really want Jensen back.  
Leaves Bozeman to take advantage of a bidding war.
Jones is older,  
Karras and Daniels are guards who can play center.  
The Lions have a prospect behind Ragnow that could be very good, I'll keep watching.

If we wiff on Jensen and Bozeman Evan Brown was the guy I was talking about before.  He is on a reserve/future contract with the Lions and has stepped in for Ragnow and played very well.  Ranked 17th Center PFF 72.4 PassBlk. Depends on what his tender is but if they keep him on his original-tender then we can offer anything above $2M to grab him...

Video credit & info to Mike Santagata
[/url]@bengals_sans

[url=https://twitter.com/bengals_sans]

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 10:02 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I would love to be pleasantly surprised by Carman but the fact of the matter is he didn't start this season over the worst guard in the league. 

And I can provide a list of dozens of GREAT NFL players that did nothing as rookies.

Not syaing Carman will be a great player.  Just saying it is crazy to give up on a second round pick after his rookie season.  

No matter how much a team "works the cap" at some point you have to get production from your draft picks under rookie contracts.  No team in the league can completely built in free agency.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 09:56 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I really think Carman is a starter on the line next year, somewhere. They invested a 2nd round pick on him. Honestly, they need to see this out and see if he can take a big next step next year. I see 2 tier B FA signings, one around 12M APY and one around 9M APY. Pick 31 will be either Corner or O line.

They will resign Ogenjobi 8M APY (this puts his cap hit for DT around 20th in the league).  Possibly Apple if we can get him end of Free agency on a near vet mim. Deal. Like 1-2M. I also think they try to get Uzomah back 7M APY.

If they can get Larry O for $8M, Apple for $1-2M, AND Uzomah for $7M, then they are definitely drugging those players' agents.  Mellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
OK, here we go. Easy stuff first.

1) Keep Jonah. Our only guaranteed starter returning. He is a decent but not superior LT.

2) Upgrade C. Jensen is the primary target. Release Hopkins. Jensen will be pricey but Hopkins going will save us $6+ million. Unlikely Linderbaum falls to us.

3) Find a RT in FA or via trade. Unlikely we get a starting RT at #31. I'd be willing to deal a pick for Collins.

4) Re-sign Spain and go get a mid-tier FA G or fill with a draft pick (Zion Johnson, Kenyon Green, etc). I think the Bengals do not like to pick out of need and would rather have this taken care of pre-draft because we pick so late. IF an OL falls to us and we are overloaded, we can always swing a deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And I can provide a list of dozens of GREAT NFL players that did nothing as rookies.

Not syaing Carman will be a great player.  Just saying it is crazy to give up on a second round pick after his rookie season.  

No matter how much a team "works the cap" at some point you have to get production from your draft picks under rookie contracts.  No team in the league can completely built in free agency.

Yea I get a rookie not starting his first year

But Adeniji was the worst starting right guard in the league
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And I can provide a list of dozens of GREAT NFL players that did nothing as rookies.

I agree ?. That’s why I’m pretty sure Carman will be a starter somewhere on the line.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 11:55 PM)phil413 Wrote: Great points.  We have to land at least one long term player if not two, even Jonah isnt locked in.  

The fit is perfect in scheme and financially, call him at the start and if 10M/yr is all it takes let him pick the years.  The bigger picture is it lets you go after the next best FA fit no matter if it's guard or center after that since he plays both well.  

Exactly, Daniels can play all over the interior so we can be so versatile in any way we go afterwards. I could see us starting 
Carman at LG if he impresses this Offseason like I expect. Also the Jensen rumor seems to have some merit and I don't know
why there are rumors of us being interested in Laken Tomlinson and Bozeman if we aren't looking for some big names in FA.

Daniels fits our wide zone scheme that Pollack runs. Same with Morgan Moses who shouldn't be too expensive and we only 
need a vet for our young guys to develop behind. Lots of options. I expect at the very least Daniels and Moses.

(03-11-2022, 02:12 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: I agree ?. That’s why I’m pretty sure Carman will be a starter somewhere on the line.

LG and keep him there, I bet he plays well too. We all saw the flashes, he just needs the snaps to gain consistency and work
on his hand placement and he seems so much more comfortable at LG. My prediction now as we inch closer to FA...

LT - Jonah Williams
LG - Jackson Carman
C - Ryan Jensen (3 year deal)
RG - James Daniels (4 year deal)
RT - Morgan Moses (2 year deal)
Reply/Quote
I’d follow a couple rules over the next week.
No rookies planned or wanted to start.
No FA signed to a long term deal who is already 30 years old or older.

I expect Williams and Carmen start next season.
Make offers for RT, OG, C but likely only two can be long term deals for top talent. Center and guard look the most likely for long term FA deals. Collins has the talent but Jones wants draft picks in return, not the Bengals way.
If no long term deal, rent a player on 1 year deal then draft replacement on day 1 or 2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote