Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
O-line prediction
(03-09-2022, 12:04 PM)kalibengal Wrote: So Orando Brown Tagged, + I read TB wants to retain Jensen, which starts to thin down our options and competing with the other teams like Pitt that might pay more for O Line Talent. Add to this that Hobson article ..... Anyone else worried we may be stuck looking at players we didnt really have on radar?  
Its such a critical HIGH priorty this yr that it makes me nervous...and I can see the O line sports agents using that against us.

You raise fair points. I was just posting about the JC Jackson rumor. Maybe it's more wise to invest big money in a player like him and then go after a guy like Bozeman or Jones to play center on a lesser deal? If Brown and Jensen are off the market, as you said, the other OL players available might not worth going after. It's interesting to think about from the perspective of what Duke and Zac have to decide.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 01:10 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: You raise fair points. I was just posting about the JC Jackson rumor. Maybe it's more wise to invest big money in a player like him and then go after a guy like Bozeman or Jones to play center on a lesser deal? If Brown and Jensen are off the market, as you said, the other OL players available might not worth going after. It's interesting to think about from the perspective of what Duke and Zac have to decide.

JC's guaranteed money will be more of a factor than his salary in my opinion. CB's are right behind QBs in demanding large guarantees. DO we really want to add 40-60M to that escrow that is about to jump 150M after this season? Thats a lot of cash.

Jensen is not off the market but will be expensive salary wise, not really guaranteed money problems like a  JC. Bozeman then becomes the #1 option for everyone, is younger and his price rises.  Jones may be an option even though he is a power blocker and older.

It would be great if we had any idea what those guys are thinking.  To be fair they are very limited compared to other teams, like the Rams who could really go for it, cap be damned, because they can restructure contracts with a ton of bonus money which comes directly from the billionaire owner in future seasons.  We get in cap hell we will be the Saints & Bucs of the 70's for a long while.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 01:24 PM)casear2727 Wrote: JC's guaranteed money will be more of a factor than his salary in my opinion. CB's are right behind QBs in demanding large guarantees. DO we really want to add 40-60M to that escrow that is about to jump 150M after this season? Thats a lot of cash.

Jensen is not off the market but will be expensive salary wise, not really guaranteed money problems like a  JC. Bozeman then becomes the #1 option for everyone, is younger and his price rises.  Jones may be an option even though he is a power blocker and older.

It would be great if we had any idea what those guys are thinking.  To be fair they are very limited compared to other teams, like the Rams who could really go for it, cap be damned, because they can restructure contracts with a ton of bonus money which comes directly from the billionaire owner in future seasons.  We get in cap hell we will be the Saints & Bucs of the 70's for a long while.

I appreciate your perspective regarding the JC dollars. Yes, it would be interesting if we had any idea as to what front offices and players/their agents are thinking. I'm glad we are at least getting to talk about free agency with hopes our winning team keeps on winning rather than talking about a top five draft pick because the Bengals are trash. I'm ready for the free agency to commence! I'll reserve judgement for the period to be over. I'm intrigued to see what approach Duke and Zac take for improving the roster.
Reply/Quote
I read an article one of the Bills sites yesterday that talked about Buffalo being open to trading G/T Daryl Williams. He would have about a 6.3m cap hit to the team that traded for him. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but would be an interesting option as the Bengals had him on their radar before.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2022, 05:20 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...I mean, I think the stuff Fred says about us having a lot of starters that are free agents that need signed...kind of goes with this theory. On paper, we appear to have a lot of cap space, but we do have free agents that need signed too. Or that creates other holes.

So we'll see. I sure hope we sign a couple external free agents to upgrade the line.

IF Reiff stayed healthy, I'd be happy bringing him back. But he didn't.

The free agent offensive lineman market is tricky. We could spend a decent amount of money on 2...and they could be minor upgrades.

Minor upgrade at RT is really all we need, Reiff wasn't terrible but Moses or Trent Brown are younger and could be upgrades.

All we need is to have decent Guard play at RG and that is a major upgrade as Adeniji was down right terrible.

(03-08-2022, 05:28 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: PFF has this as Morgan Moses contract prediction. IF you can sign him for that, I think you do it:
Contract Projection: Three years, $22.5 million ($7.5M per year, $14.5M total guaranteed)

I would happily do that. It allows us to draft our future RT either this year or the next to develop under a vet.

(03-08-2022, 08:06 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: We probably can't afford All Pro's at every Off line positions. Would love to have a tone setter in Ryan Jensen though.
We just need competent Veteran players that can give us 2-3 years while we hopefully develop some of our draft talent.
I think/hope Jackson Carmen and D'Ante Smith will have a bigger impact in 2022 but neither one should be given a job.
If we could sign Moses for 7.5 mil I am all in for that.

Armstead is out of the question pretty damn sure, but other then him we can afford 3 upgrades no problem and we 
need to do it as the Superbowl and the Playoffs overall blatantly shown. Agree on Jensen and Moses, that would be fine
with me and we could draft a Guard early to compete for RG while letting Carman and D'Ante battle it our at LG.

I think this would be at the very least a big upgrade.

(03-08-2022, 08:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: None of those on our "wish list" were franchised. That means we can bid on the likes of:

James Daniels
Laken Tomlinson
Branden Schreff
Andrew Norwell
Ryan Jensen
Trent Brown
ect...

Really surprised Daniels wasn't tagged. I think he is a Bengal after this, perfect fit with his versatility and our scheme. ThumbsUp

(03-09-2022, 11:45 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I don’t think we are being unrealistic about the possibilities.  I think we are being about the outcome.  Look at the chiefs last year.  The signed thuney to a massive deal.  Made a huge trade for Orlando brown and drafted creed Humphrey.  

It can be done.  No one knows how far they are willing to go.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt, not many of the predictions are unrealistic. Maybe the ones that have Armstead as he will be really expensive.

(03-09-2022, 11:53 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Ugh, I totally forgot about last offseason when the Chiefs were intentional about changing up their OL to better protect Mahomes. Fair point, our fandom desire is realistic but the outcome is not likely to meet our expectations. I'm looking forward to free agency though, it's a fun time to be a Bengals fan!

Our OL was arguably worse than the Chiefs too in the Superbowl.

Pretty much the same situation, we need to do the same or something similar.
Reply/Quote
Injuries happen. But the Bengals have no business complaining about injuries last year. We lost a couple of players to COVID and then we lost Rieff toward the end of the year. That's it. When Reiff was playing, Hopkins was not playing well. That meant we had 2 (or three if Spain had a bad day) starting players who weren't playing well next to each other. It was a problem.

I don't see a world where everyone on our line is an above-average player on their second or third contract. The Chiefs had two rookie starters last year. The Bengals have to pick their spots. No one wants to overpay; let's not forget Trae Waynes. But also don't forget DJ Reader, who only played 5 games last year, but was amazing this year.

Free agency, like the draft, is a chance to improve your team. This year, those free agency opportunities are along the IOL, CB2s, Safety, WR1 and some good QB backups. If you are looking at DT3, CB1, or RT, you're probably going to overpay. Finally, there are also cut-down days to shore up your weaknesses.

My hope is to start the season without question marks starting over question marks and surrounded by question marks. We need solid players who don't become worse because they are next to someone having a bad day. IMO that's not just at the top of the market.

Lastly, I only entertain the idea of replacing Hopkins with another free agent because 1) He's a 6M cap hit. 2) He's 30 and in the last year of his contract. So can he be replaced by a better player on a longer contract for similar money? I don't know if he should be re-signed next year if he plays lousy, or because he's average, or because he plays great. He's either cheap and bad, mediocre and moderately expensive, or good, older, and pricey. There are some good centers in FA this year. That doesn't always happen.
Reply/Quote
McShay's mock draft has us taking Zion Johnson G/C at 31.

Interestingly, the pick before us has KC taking Daxton Hill, a S from Michigan that has good speed and coverage ability to replace Matthieu.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 03:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Really surprised Daniels wasn't tagged. I think he is a Bengal after this, perfect fit with his versatility and our scheme. ThumbsUp
It would be extremely rare for an interior olineman to get tagged because they are lumped in with LTs when calculating number. Same with Middle LB
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 01:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I read an article one of the Bills sites yesterday that talked about Buffalo being open to trading G/T Daryl Williams. He would have about a 6.3m cap hit to the team that traded for him. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but would be an interesting option as the Bengals had him on their radar before.

Williams is a tough dude, he'd fit in well in the AFCN.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 05:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It would be extremely rare for an interior olineman to get tagged because they are lumped in with LTs when calculating number. Same with Middle LB

This is what I was thinking but he was arguably their best young player going into FA and others said he would get the tag.

Happy we can get a look at Daniels and hopefully sign him to a long term contract. He fits exactly what Pollack said he wants
and can play all the interior positions. Makes Hop and Spain expendable.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 01:54 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I read an article one of the Bills sites yesterday that talked about Buffalo being open to trading G/T Daryl Williams. He would have about a 6.3m cap hit to the team that traded for him. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but would be an interesting option as the Bengals had him on their radar before.

I like this thought as well, Daniels at C and Daryl Williams in a trade at RG would help big time. 

Then get Moses or Trent Brown in here. Badaboom.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 07:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like this thought as well, Daniels at C and Daryl Williams in a trade at RG would help big time. 

Then get Moses or Trent Brown in here. Badaboom.

Why not the Williams bros at bookend considering this FA class is stronger in the interior?
Reply/Quote
I feel like the Jensen rumors are starting to sound legit. There's a tweet going around from a Pittsburgh insider on 937 the Fan (local radio in that godforsaken shithole), where the "insider" is discouraging Steeler fans from getting their hopes up about signing him because he feels that there's a 95 percent chance that Jensen to the Bengals is a done deal.

A lot can change by the 14th, but there's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be some fire with that rumor.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 10:11 PM)samhain Wrote: I feel like the Jensen rumors are starting to sound legit.  There's a tweet going around from a Pittsburgh insider on 937 the Fan (local radio in that godforsaken shithole), where the "insider" is discouraging Steeler fans from getting their hopes up about signing him because he feels that there's a 95 percent chance that Jensen to the Bengals is a done deal.

A lot can change by the 14th, but there's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be some fire with that rumor.

I could see us adding Jensen...but I don't get all the talk of it being a done deal. You can't negotiate yet.

Jensen is an upgrade for sure.
Reply/Quote
PFF projected Jensen to Bengals on Feb 21. 3 years $39 million. Which appears to be the exact numbers that Adam Jones little birdie told him last week...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-free-agency-landing-spots-pff-top-50-free-agents
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:35 PM)fredtoast Wrote: We have 2 O-linemen who are free agents (Rieff,  Spain).

We sign 2 free agents to replace them. Good chance we re-sign Spain. The RT will not be Rieff, but will be a quality ($8+ million) player.

Center is up in the air. I believe Hopkins will still be our OC. But the could sign an upgrade due to Hopkins $7+ million salary.  We could sign a $10+ million center if we release Hopkins.

Either Smith or Carman will be RG.

Tiger

So are you really telling us to get ready for par for the course approach or... Who does Fred like in FA to the Bengals? 
Reply/Quote
Im not all that excited about signing Jensen. I dont know if it is wise for the Bengals to spend 13 million a year on a center with a 70.3 PFF. I know Jensen made the Pro Bowl but Creed Humphrey by comparison had a 91.4 PFF. Despite the Pro Bowl nod, I think Jensen is overrated.

As much as I think the O-line needs a major overhaul, I think that 13 million could be better spent elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2022, 12:36 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Im not all that excited about signing Jensen.  I dont know if it is wise for the Bengals to spend 13 million a year on a center with a 70.3 PFF.  I know Jensen made the Pro Bowl but Creed Humphrey by comparison had a 91.4 PFF.   Despite the Pro Bowl nod, I think Jensen is overrated.

As much as I think the O-line needs a major overhaul, I think that 13 million could be better spent elsewhere.

Jensen is a beast.  You would love him.  We haven't had a guy like him in a long time.  Bucs wont let him go easily and I think we have a much less chance than what others are saying.  With Marpet retiring, Cappa and Jensen in free agency they are reeling.  They need to keep one badly and Jensen is their favorite.

Bozeman would be very good and not much cheaper, but Jensen is the man.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2022, 11:29 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

So are you really telling us to get ready for par for the course approach or... Who does Fred like in FA to the Bengals? 

I don't know enough about who is available and how much they will cost to give specifics. But I am guessing we sign an OG for $5-$7 million and a RT for $8-$10 million.

Only way we sign a Center is if we release Hopkins.
Reply/Quote
I watched Laken Tomlinson against the Rams defense.

His Pass Blocking is an issue. He may be a better run blocker than Spain but Pass blocking was not much better.
Reply/Quote