Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
O line struggeling
I'm hopeful that Fisher will work out fine. It's Og that concerns me. Pre-season games await. We shall see.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Mixon running the ball effectively should help keep the pass rushers at least in check on the early downs.
Reply/Quote
Trollers gonna troll

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 08:48 AM)Bronxbengal Wrote: I want to give the benefit of the doubt and see with my own eyes the effectiveness of the offensive line before making any comments.  However, with a disclaimer, I am heavily biased and believe the coaching abilities of the Paul Alexander (a.k.a The Maestro or Piano Man) are vastly over rated and totally without merit.  He has done nothing for the past 20+ years. I do expect more of the same of the underachievement witnessed over the Maestro's coaching career, but I hoping to be surprised and see a top NFL leading line evolve before our eyes.  Even A blind squirrel can find a nut and we could get lucky too.  (It is pre-season so I can be optimistic until the first snap!) 

Nice post Bronx.

Never liked PA and he should of been gone years ago let alone after last season but...

It is extremely early and i expected lots of struggles early on this year until the O-line could gain some chemistry.

Offense always takes time to get into form, lots longer than the Defense and this Defense will be pushing for #1 in the league with Houston.

As others said, this is hardly surprising.

It would be worse news to me if our Defense wasn't beating on our Offense.

This Defense should be great. Billings, Lawson and Minter are really some big time additions.

Haven't heard much about my guys Willis and Glasgow though?
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 02:40 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: O line has been looking like a bunch of men in TuTUs lately.

I hate the Piano man right now. We draft two guys he was drooling over and they're bad.

What do you guys think of the lines struggles in camp? Houston is going have a party with Dalton come Week 2

I Say :  It's too early to tell.....I keep reading on this site Dalton hits Eifert for Touchdown...Dalton hits somebody else for Touchdown.....The O Line must be doing something right....UNLESS....Dalton is hitting players for Touchdowns in practice against no Defense with No Offensive Line, and in THAT CASE these Touchdown passes become MEANINGLESS. 

Again....It's WAY TOO EARLY TO TELL......Let's see how they look Friday against Tampa Bay.  Tampa Bay will be a test because the second half of 2016, Tampa became one of the best Defenses in the NFL. They were very hard to score on the last half of 2016.  They have some good pass rushers to test us. 

Bengals ranked by most media as the worst Offensive Line in NFL, as they back it up often saying, " What do you expect with all these O Line starters gone " ....So we know Bengals are betting everything on these Tackles they drafted in 2015.  They are also betting they can replace the Guard they drafted first round in 2012, Zeitler.  They brought back Andre Smith, a first round pick in 2009 draft.  ......I still say the Bengals were stupid to draft the players they drafted with the 5 pick in rounds 3, 4 and early 5 and not draft an O Lineman.  Bengals passed on many high rated O Lineman in those 5 picks after Ross and Mixon.   With Whitworth and Zeitler gone, not picking an O Lineman until the end part of the draft wasn't smart. 

So we know this gamble on the O Line is a work in progress. We know they are going to start bad. The question is, Can they come together as a Blocking Unit and get better each week so Bengals can go back to Play-Offs ???.....Only Time will tell.....We get our first REAL look at this Mike Brown O Line Experiment Friday Night against a tough Tampa Defense.  Actually, the coaches could use some mistakes from the game on film to chew the players rear ends about.  Get the mistakes out in Preseason, so they can be fixed by regular season.  Preseason Game 3 is the real test, but it starts Friday with Tampa Bay.  Hey, I remember a Preseason Game One against Tampa as a Rookie named Munoz blocked Lee Roy Selmon all the way from mid field to the sideline.  Announcer Bob Trumpy said Mr Munoz just invited Mr Selmon to the sideline to have a hot dog.  ....Munoz BLOCKED us to 2 Super Bowls and NFL Hall Of Fame......So lets see what our new young Blockers do Friday against Tampa Bay..
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Easy to speculate with loss of Whittworth and Zeitler, we could be worse on the OL. For me thoough I have no idea how we will look game one against the Ravens, but our run blocking has been less than stellar the past few years. Maybe our run blocking with a new more explosive back will get better in 2017.

I am optimist and think likely they will not be the disaster many predict, but we well see if they get better than the 2016 group which was average at best with Whittworth and Zeitler.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I was at scrimmage and I thought the 1st team oline did a good job in protection and run blocking.. A couple penalities but that is to be expected. Sure we will miss Whit,, but they can help our tackles with formations, protection calls, screens etc. Left tackle will not be on an island all game especially when we face tough edge rushers..Dalton also will help.. he is getting the ball great... As far as run blocking, I liked what I saw today from Cedric.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 09:46 AM)grampahol Wrote: Well, we do have a formidable defensive line and one young man, Carl Lawson seems to be giving everyone fits.
I always get a bit antcy (sp) when the defense is ruling everything in practice, but I have to think that's also a good thing. Having a shutdown D just can't be all bad. 
If the O-line is having problems with the D it may mean everyone else is going to as well. 
So ask yourself,  would you rather have an offensive line that can manhandle the defense or a defensive line that can manhandle the offense? Pick your poison.  

Is our D really that good? Did everyone miss on Lawson for 4 rounds and the Bengals stole him??

OR...the flip side is...

Lawson is looking unstoppable because our O-line flat out sucks and the D as an entire unit looks great because....the o-line sucks. 

Good news is we'll have a better idea of which side is true after the first preseason game.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 04:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I was at scrimmage and I thought the 1st team oline did a good job in protection and run blocking.. A couple penalities but that is to be expected.  Sure we will miss Whit,, but they can help our tackles with formations, protection calls, screens etc.  Left tackle will not be on an island all game especially when we face tough edge rushers..Dalton also will help.. he is getting the ball great...  As far as run blocking, I liked what I saw today from Cedric.

Thanks for the eye witness account.  I've been waiting for one of the experienced, knowledgeable fans to tell us what they saw.  My curious question for you would be, how did the interior 3 look versus Geno and Billings?  Were they able to get any movement on run plays?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 04:18 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I was at scrimmage and I thought the 1st team oline did a good job in protection and run blocking.. A couple penalities but that is to be expected.  Sure we will miss Whit,, but they can help our tackles with formations, protection calls, screens etc.  Left tackle will not be on an island all game especially when we face tough edge rushers..Dalton also will help.. he is getting the ball great...  As far as run blocking, I liked what I saw today from Cedric.

Thanks Essex. This makes me feel better and is not from a doom and gloomer.

So true on the ways to help our Tackles. There are many ways to do this and if Og is already looking this good it is a great sign. :andy:
Reply/Quote
O-line looked fine today, as far as I could tell. But man is Lawson getting consistent pressure. Really looking forward to watching him on Friday.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 04:33 PM)Big Boss Wrote: O-line looked fine today, as far as I could tell.  But man is Lawson getting consistent pressure.  Really looking forward to watching him on Friday.

Lawson is looking like the steal of the draft so far. Precisely the type of player we needed.

Plays with fire and intensity and is smart.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 04:29 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks Essex. This makes me feel better and is not from a doom and gloomer.

So true on the ways to help our Tackles. There are many ways to do this and if Og is already looking this good it is a great sign. :andy:

Neither of our tackles are veterans.. the Coaching staff knows this and knows they will have to protect them with a variety of tools they have to play with as they continue to develop. I was impressed today with Kroft.. not just pass routes and catching but I iso him a few times and he blocked very well.. with him, hewitt and eifert we have blocking to help our tackles.. Finally it was so noticeable the difference Dalton and the other QBS... Dalton is so much faster in reads and getting the ball out... 

On a side note I though Driskell handled himself well at QB.. he has improved...
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 04:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Lawson is looking like the steal of the draft so far. Precisely the type of player we needed.

Plays with fire and intensity and is smart.

I agree, on defense I thought Clarke had a great scrimmage and helped himself .. I also though Gilberry did a good job.. Dunlap and Johnson were solid today
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 05:01 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Neither of our tackles are veterans.. the Coaching staff knows this and knows they will have to protect them with a variety of tools they have to play with as they continue to develop. I was impressed today with Kroft.. not just pass routes and catching but I iso him a few times and he blocked very well.. with him, hewitt and eifert we have blocking to help our tackles.. Finally it was so noticeable the difference Dalton and the other QBS... Dalton is so much faster in reads and getting the ball out... 

On a side note I though Driskell handled himself well at QB.. he has improved...

True these guys won't be left alone on the edge and Kroft blocking well is great news. That injury last year made him
look like a different player from his rookie year. Hewitt is a great run blocker, these two being healthy is a big deal.

Dalton is great at getting the ball out fast, one of the best in the NFL.

(08-05-2017, 05:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree, on defense I thought Clarke had a great scrimmage and helped himself .. I also though Gilberry did a good job.. Dunlap and Johnson were solid today

Thanks for all this Essex. Need that rotation at End to play well. Nothing on Willis?
Reply/Quote
I thought first team oline keep Willis in check... he played fine just did not shine
Reply/Quote
What is this based on? I ask because I dont keep up everyday on everything happening at camp.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 05:45 PM)Millhouse Wrote: What is this based on? I ask because I dont keep up everyday on everything happening at camp.

What is what based on very vague what do you want to know
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 06:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: What is what based on very vague what do you want to know

The o line struggling..
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2017, 05:35 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I thought first team oline keep Willis in check... he played fine just did not shine

Thanks again man. Love hearing these updates. Rock On
Reply/Quote