Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OJ Howard coming to Cincinnati-came and went-no contract
(08-31-2022, 09:00 AM)TheFan Wrote: He hasn't been the same player since his achilles injury. Hopefully with being another year removed from it he starts coming into form again but sometimes you can never recover fully from those types of injuries. 

He’s probably still way better than what we currently have behind Hurst.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:23 AM)Au165 Wrote: At this stage you can't be picky. He is the best option available at arguably our 2nd weakest spot so we atleast are trying to address the need.

What are you considering the weakest?

Reply/Quote
It's worth a shot.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What are you considering the weakest?

LG...? That's the only position I can think of but usually it's considered the OL as a whole which I don't think is worse than TE.
Reply/Quote
He's still going to be a good blocker at the very worst IMO.

Very solid signing from the Bengals... gotta love it!
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:38 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: What are you considering the weakest?

LG 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:41 AM)TheFan Wrote: LG...? That's the only position I can think of but usually it's considered the OL as a whole which I don't think is worse than TE.

Not just LG, but when you look at the OL room as a whole, the depth is really lacking.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 10:14 AM)Au165 Wrote: LG 

Right. I should have known when you specifically said spot instead of position or group.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 10:18 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not just LG, but when you look at the OL room as a whole, the depth is really lacking.

It’s still world’s better than the TE group as a whole. We have 4 guys who could start on most teams.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 10:19 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s still world’s better than the TE group as a whole. We have 4 guys who could start on most teams.

Really?  Which four of our backup OL do you see as starter material, on most teams?

I mean, I see the reasoning for bringing in Howard.  Sample is injured, and there is literally no depth after Hurst.  However, if we were to have two of our starting OL go down for any significant period of time, I don't see two starter quality backups, let alone four to fill their shoes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 10:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really?  Which four of our backup OL do you see as starter material, on most teams?

I mean, I see the reasoning for bringing in Howard.  Sample is injured, and there is literally no depth after Hurst.  However, if we were to have two of our starting OL go down for any significant period of time, I don't see two starter quality backups, let alone four to fill their shoes.

Don’t be obtuse. No team has multiple starting quality O-lineman sitting on the bench.

Reply/Quote
We needed a TE, and I would have signed him too.

But, he's hurt A LOT. Has lost some athletecism...and he's kind of been a bust in the NFL.

The Bills ate $3 million to cut him. That says a lot.
Reply/Quote
I don't know what we paid him, but it's not a bad idea to sign him. He doesn't have to be quite as good here where there are 3 huge targets in front of him in the progressions.
Reply/Quote
Better to see OJ Howard running routes than Drew Sample. At least Howard will get more than 6 yds.
Reply/Quote
Seems to be worth a shot.
Reply/Quote
Cant hurt to take a shot on OJ

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 10:26 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Really?  Which four of our backup OL do you see as starter material, on most teams?

Agree

I'm all for bringing in Howard at TE. But I would feel a lot better if they can also swing a vet Olineman to replace Adeniji and/or Prince. I'm just not real comfortable with those two as our backups.
Reply/Quote
Haden is a sleeper. Howard is a great blocker.  GJ Bengals if you get this done. Both will prob be under what the Jets payed for Uzo (still love ya bro).

Reply/Quote
I like it!

I wanted us to draft him when he came out, so this is a plus to sign him in FA!

I know he may have troubles staying healthy, but let’s hope his body holds up better when he’s not an every down player.

It would be nice to see him used in five wide sets!
Reply/Quote
They brought him in to block until Sample and Wilcox are healthy. OJ just doesn't have anymore juice.
Reply/Quote