Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OJ Howard coming to Cincinnati-came and went-no contract
Sample's lifetime ypc is 8.2. Howard is at 14.6.

Sample's 3 years, his long receptions each year....21, 23 and 19.
Howards's 5 years, his long receptions were 58, 75, 33, 33 and 21.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sample is an average blocker that would of been available round 5. OJ is most definitely an upgrade.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm certain Sample is a better blocker than OJ. However, last year with Joe Burrow, Sample had 11 receptions for 81 yards and zero TD's.

I'm not so certain that if Howard can stay healthy at all he can't best that ?

OJ had more competition in front of him with all the weapons Tampa had last year, and still put up better receiving numbers than Sample lol

Really, look at all the weapons brady was throwing to that were ahead of him. Sample couldnt even out produce the 8th/9th passing option for tampa
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm certain Sample is a better blocker than OJ. However, last year with Joe Burrow, Sample had 11 receptions for 81 yards and zero TD's.

Yeah, and when Uzomah was injured, we had no TE weapon at all in Sample. In the KC game, when Uzomah went down in the first quarter, Sample caught one pass for 4 yards over the rest of the game. 
Reply/Quote
Better Howard than the guy we took in that round...... who's name I will not mention.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Not exactly what you want to learn about a guy who's played football his entire life, heading into his 5th NFL season.

that was the same problem Chad Johnson had when he went to NE.

We shall see what will happen with Howard.  He has to 1) agree to terms (with his GTD salary from the Bills, I don't see much more than Vet's minimum from the Bengals 2) He has to pass a physical

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:30 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Better Howard than the guy we took in that round...... who's name I will not mention.

bengals might've made the playoffs in 2018 if they had drafted Howard in 2017. Prob not, but Howard was a legitimate top 5 tight end that year before he got injured in week 10
Reply/Quote

Howard can definitely best that...
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:24 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: OJ had more competition in front of him with all the weapons Tampa had last year, and still put up better receiving numbers than Sample lol

Really, look at all the weapons brady was throwing to that were ahead of him. Sample couldnt even out produce the 8th/9th passing option for tampa

All true, kind of similar to Hurst honestly with all the talent he has had in front of him. Andrews and then Pitts.

Tampa was the most loaded team in the league Receiver wise when OJ Howard was there.

I think the Bills may regret cutting OJ Howard and us picking him up...
Reply/Quote
I wonder what impact claiming TE Devin Asiasi off of waivers will have on the Howard potential signing

Reply/Quote
He is a perfect guy to give a 2nd chance to prove himself if healthy and at right price.

Has a higher ceiling than shown and at the end of his rope, should give maximum effort as well. Plus whoever he replaces will probably remain on practice squad and still be available.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:51 PM)pally Wrote: I wonder what impact claiming TE Devin Asiasi off of waivers will have on the Howard potential signing

I also wonder, if we have four TEs rostered, if ZT is planning on using more 2TE sets this year than we’re used to seeing. For a position that “doesn’t see much useage in ZTs passing game” they sure are sort of loading up by adding Howard AND Asiasi.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 08:39 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yes! I wanted him when he was a FA the first time around. I really wished we got him when I saw how little the Bills had to pay him. He should come cheap and give us real depth at the TE position. Hurst, OJ and Sample is a lot better than it could have been.

That's what i don't get. They could have brought him in during FA, but didn't. 

Lower price maybe?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:51 PM)pally Wrote: I wonder what impact claiming TE Devin Asiasi off of waivers will have on the Howard potential signing

I know I have heard of Devin Asiasi but my mind has gone a blank on the player.

Where did he play again?

(08-31-2022, 01:52 PM)Go Cards Wrote: He is a perfect guy to give a 2nd chance to prove himself if healthy and at right price.

Has a higher ceiling than shown and at the end of his rope, should give maximum effort as well. Plus whoever he replaces will probably remain on practice squad and still be available.

Completely agree.

He should be replacing Thad Moss who he is better than, but Thad should stick on the PS and he was our best TE in the 
Preseason, good for him cause I had us cutting him and him not sticking around the NFL anymore. Thad surprised me in 
a good way.

(08-31-2022, 01:54 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: I also wonder, if we have four TEs rostered, if ZT is planning on using more 2TE sets this year than we’re used to seeing. For a position that “doesn’t see much useage in ZTs passing game” they sure are sort of loading up by adding Howard AND Asiasi.

What is nice about both Hurst and Howard is they can both line up at WR too with their speed and quicks.

Could be a nice change up at times especially if one of our top 3 WR's go down. Us losing Pryor concerns me but the 
addition of Howard who was just as fast as Higgins at the Combine helps with this concern.

I have no faith in Morgan or Thomas coming in to fill in for any of our top 3.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's what i don't get. They could have brought him in during FA, but didn't. 

Lower price maybe?

Hurst has a better upside at this point.  And he did sign for over a million less in GTD money

Reply/Quote
This is not bait, but I am just genuinely confused by all of the excitement.

Similarly to the Bengals, the Bills have done an about face for their organization, so their move in releasing him AND eating 3 mil+ should have us all wondering - WTH happened, yet I see post after post of (paraphrasing) "woohoo" and "awesome" and "let's sign him" etc.

Doesn't this send up some serious red flags? I'm not excited at all by this. I want to know what everyone is seeing, that Buffalo did not.

Explanations would be appreciated.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 01:25 PM)Nepa Wrote: Yeah, and when Uzomah was injured, we had no TE weapon at all in Sample. In the KC game, when Uzomah went down in the first quarter, Sample caught one pass for 4 yards over the rest of the game. 

I'm not here just to bust on Sample, he was overdrafted it happens. But just like they say in baseball after you throw all the BS out the window you are what it says you are on the back of your baseball card.

In 3 seasons Sample has just over 50 receptions and 1 TD. Keep in mind like 25 of those games were with Joe Burrow. I'm quite certain that if Sample was getting open more/Joe trusted him more he would have more than that.

I'm also not saying Howard is going to be Gronk 2.0. It's just that if we have any issues with injuries, I'd feel a little better having Howard as an option.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What is nice about both Hurst and Howard is they can both line up at WR too with their speed and quicks.

young Howard maybe. OJ lost a step in the quicks department. But the bengals absolutely improved their TE 2 imo. Sample is now TE 3

we shall see though. Howard has to get acclumated to the playbook first
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:08 PM)Stewy Wrote: This is not bait, but I am just genuinely confused by all of the excitement.  

Similarly to the Bengals, the Bills have done an about face for their organization, so their move in releasing him AND eating 3 mil+ should have us all wondering - WTH happened, yet I see post after post of (paraphrasing) "woohoo" and "awesome" and "let's sign him" etc.

Doesn't this send up some serious red flags?  I'm not excited at all by this.  I want to know what everyone is seeing, that Buffalo did not.

Explanations would be appreciated.

I think part of the excitement comes from the team not sitting on status quo.  They saw an issue with the roster and went out to seek and rectify it.  We're still not used to that

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:07 PM)pally Wrote: Hurst has a better upside at this point.  And he did sign for over a million less in GTD money

I could be remembering it wrong, but i thought Howard was still out there quite a while after FA started. I was thinking they could have brought him in anytime then but didn't. 

Of course, he would know he's behind Hurst and maybe holding out for a better situation.

Or i'm just remembering it wrong. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote