Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OJ Howard coming to Cincinnati-came and went-no contract
(08-31-2022, 11:41 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I like it!

I wanted us to draft him when he came out, so this is a plus to sign him in FA!

I know he may have troubles staying healthy, but let’s hope his body holds up better when he’s not an every down player.

It would be nice to see him used in five wide sets!

Agree

He's probably never going to be a regular #1 TE again. But I could see him contributing as #2 TE if he can stay on the field. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

He's probably never going to be a regular #1 TE again. But I could see him contributing as #2 TE if he can stay on the field. 

You would think he'll also have to be contributing quite a bit some special teams. Anyone know if he has done that much in his career? I'm pretty sure Sample plays on most STs.
Reply/Quote
someone know what we are paying him ? We need help but hopefully it is not over the 3 million Bill paid him.. hopefully Sample will be back, neither Hurst or Howard are known to be good blockers.. I would not mind putting a flyer on another disappointment #1 cut in Leatherwood if price is right

Not a great report from Bills camp, maybe the lightbulb will come on with this could be my last chance to stick in NFL

https://www.nfl.com/news/o-j-howard-bills-release-tight-end
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:56 AM)TheFan Wrote: You would think he'll also have to be contributing quite a bit some special teams. Anyone know if he has done that much in his career? I'm pretty sure Sample plays on most STs.

Found one sentence that suggests doesn't contribute much on special teams:

"I think it just came down to Howard not being very effective as a reserve while Sweeney and Morris provide legit special teams value.”

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/oj-howard-cut-release-contract/
Reply/Quote
This is on paper. The strongest tight end set the Cincinnati Bengals have had in years
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Waste of money
Reply/Quote
Drew Sample is now the 3rd stringer lol
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:25 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Waste of money

You don’t even know what he’ll cost yet.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:42 AM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: They brought him in to block until Sample and Wilcox are healthy.   OJ just doesn't have anymore juice.

hobbled OJ Howard is still more athletic than Sample 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:41 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I like it!

I wanted us to draft him when he came out, so this is a plus to sign him in FA!

I know he may have troubles staying healthy, but let’s hope his body holds up better when he’s not an every down player.

It would be nice to see him used in five wide sets!

He played in 17 games last year and had 135 yards receiving.

The year before, he played in 4 games.

At a certain point, we have to forget about a guys draft profile and judge him by what he is in the Pros.

I'd take a chance on this signing too, but the Bills ate $3 million to cut him. That's pretty telling.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:23 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: This is on paper. The strongest tight end set the Cincinnati Bengals have had in years

Apparently he looked slow. But Howard himself reported to a Buffalo news reporter it was because he was having trouble learning the terminology:

"Howard told the Buffalo News that he was struggling to learn the Bills’ offense, particularly the terminology, and it was forcing him to play slower than he would have liked."

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2022/08/30/buffalo-bills-roster-cuts-todays-releases-include-oj-howard/65463763007/
Reply/Quote
He won't be an every down player, but he should be able to pick up enough plays and terminology to block, be a red-zone target, and be a third-down target. He should be able to command more attention from the defense than Sample.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: Apparently he looked slow. But Howard himself reported to a Buffalo news reporter it was because he was having trouble learning the terminology:

"Howard told the Buffalo News that he was struggling to learn the Bills’ offense, particularly the terminology, and it was forcing him to play slower than he would have liked."

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2022/08/30/buffalo-bills-roster-cuts-todays-releases-include-oj-howard/65463763007/

Not exactly what you want to learn about a guy who's played football his entire life, heading into his 5th NFL season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 08:55 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Injuries have taken his athleticism and he doesn't seem to be a very assignment-true player...more of just an athlete that used his athleticism but now has lost that as well.  

People are so done with Moss because of a couple of penalties in the preseason and one drop.  I would not give up on him.  Not because of his name, but because of his connection to Burrow and his drive.  Finally healthy, I think he could surprise.

I agree on OJ, but disagree totally on Moss - undersized, slow, not a good blocker and had a terrible drop on the best pass thrown all preseason by a Bengals QB. His cut was not surprisingly whatsoever.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:28 AM)ChaseThis Wrote: When he got cut yesterday I was texting my buddies saying we should sign him as he's an obvious upgrade over Sample. They weren't on board saying that if the Bills are willing to cut him and take that big of a cap hit, there must be something up. My argument was the dude is basically at a crossroads of either a.) figuring it out and becoming something or b.) be out of the league completely within a year or two. What better place to figure it out than with a young star QB in Burrow that feeds his guys confidence?

He's only 27 and we're getting him on the cheap to be TE2. I think it's a great signing and worth the gamble. If it fails, oh well, we still have Hurst and Sample. If he plays to his actual ability this will be an absolute steal of a sign.

The Sample hate is unfounded. Drew's blocking grades are double that of OJ.  Any TE with a 31 pass block and 44 run block grades, with an overall 50 score is not better than Drew.  Bills insiders said that OJ was very slow, poor route runner and lacked the athletic ability they expected.  

Hopefully OJ gets it back, but he has a ways to go to beat out Sample, IMO.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: hobbled OJ Howard is still more athletic than Sample 

OJ will be behind Drew.  Sample cant help where he was drafted, at least he wasnt a 1st Rounder like OJ, who he is currently better than.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 08:39 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yes! I wanted him when he was a FA the first time around. I really wished we got him when I saw how little the Bills had to pay him. He should come cheap and give us real depth at the TE position. Hurst, OJ and Sample is a lot better than it could have been.

Same brother. Great pickup. Others have been saying OJ Howard is washed up but I don't believe it as he is too young and 
just didn't get much of a chance in Tampa with their great TE's and weapons. Us on the other hand only have Hurst as a pass
catcher and Sample as a blocker. Howard can do a little of both and is better than Thad Moss even if Thad was our best TE in 
the Preseason. I think this upgrades our team and Howard could even play WR for us, so it kind of kills 2 birds with one stone.
Reply/Quote
I think we could see some two TE looks. I love this signing.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:48 PM)casear2727 Wrote: OJ will be behind Drew.  Sample cant help where he was drafted, at least he wasnt a 1st Rounder like OJ, who he is currently better than.

I dont think Sample is beter than current OJ at all. You'll see throughout the year. 
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:46 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The Sample hate is unfounded. Drew's blocking grades are double that of OJ.  Any TE with a 31 pass block and 44 run block grades, with an overall 50 score is not better than Drew.  Bills insiders said that OJ was very slow, poor route runner and lacked the athletic ability they expected.  

Hopefully OJ gets it back, but he has a ways to go to beat out Sample, IMO.

I'm certain Sample is a better blocker than OJ. However, last year with Joe Burrow, Sample had 11 receptions for 81 yards and zero TD's.

I'm not so certain that if Howard can stay healthy at all he can't best that ?
Reply/Quote