Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OJ Howard coming to Cincinnati-came and went-no contract
(08-31-2022, 05:21 PM)pally Wrote: Drew returned to practice today so that option is more and more unlikely

Okay, thanks Pally didn't know that. Good, need Sample's blocking. Still would like Howard over Asiasi if healthy.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:55 PM)TigerStripes Wrote: Long time reader who rarely posts, but I just copied and pasted below from something I just read online.  According to this, Howard may not be "off the table" despite the Asiasi signing....

"According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport during a television appearance, the Bengals still want to add Howard. That came after Bengals head coach Zac Taylor told reporters on scene that there were no more planned transactions for the day, per Paul Dehner Jr. of The Athletic.

Meaning, Howard could still sign tomorrow. He’s in the building and doing the routine things like taking a physical. The addition of Asiasi does make it more complex though, as adding a fourth tight end might mean losing a player at another position. That, or they have plans to throw one of, if not both Drew Sample and Mitchell Wilcox on injured reserve.

Either way, the latest update says the Bengals and Howard could still come to an agreement as early as Thursday."

Take it for what it's worth, but interesting if true.

Sounds like when we were getting reports that La'el Collins had left Cincinnati without signing and then turned out had just left the building and was being spotted elsewhere in the area. Like the mall. In this case, the report is he's still in the building.
Reply/Quote
The TE in Tampa I wanted to see in stripes is Brate.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 02:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Not anymore. Looks like Devin Asiasi will take the TE spot over OJ Howard.

I can't find much at all on Asiasi as a pro. 2 receptions on 7 targets. That was 2020. Nothing in 2021. Doesn't seem to generate enough interest to have sports writers providing biographical info on his pro career. Anyone else have information on his pro career? Was he inactive almost all of 2021? How was his blocking? Route running? Hands?
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 06:29 PM)Nepa Wrote: Sounds like when we were getting reports that La'el Collins had left Cincinnati without signing and then turned out had just left the building and was being spotted elsewhere in the area. Like the mall. In this case, the report is he's still in the building.

Hope it is the same outcome and both contribute in a great way for us this year in La'el and OJ Howard.

(08-31-2022, 06:55 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: The TE in Tampa I wanted to see in stripes is Brate.

Dude was always very underrated. I agree.

(08-31-2022, 09:15 PM)Nepa Wrote: I can't find much at all on Asiasi as a pro. 2 receptions on 7 targets. That was 2020. Nothing in 2021. Doesn't seem to generate enough interest to have sports writers providing biographical info on his pro career. Anyone else have information on his pro career? Was he inactive almost all of 2021? How was his blocking? Route running? Hands?

Hope the coaches see something if they take Asiasi over OJ Howard. I sure don't see it in those highlights.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 09:15 PM)Nepa Wrote: I can't find much at all on Asiasi as a pro. 2 receptions on 7 targets. That was 2020. Nothing in 2021. Doesn't seem to generate enough interest to have sports writers providing biographical info on his pro career. Anyone else have information on his pro career? Was he inactive almost all of 2021? How was his blocking? Route running? Hands?

Devin Asiasi and Dalton Keene are both question marks because they played in that really really bad 2020 Cam Newton run offense where no one was good. In 2021 the Patriots signed Jannu Smith and Hunter Henry and pushed both down the depth chart.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 04:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: No, just under tall.... Hilarious

Ha! This reply is so underrated
Reply/Quote
Really was pounding the table for Howard when he was drafted. I was excited when I heard the news about the visit but thinking about it now I’m not sure if it would have been the right move. Think I was still thinking he would be great, but he’s going on his 3rd team in what 5 years? Maybe less. He had Brady and Allen throwing him the ball and he still couldn’t stand out. Give me the unknown with potential.

Who am I kidding, it still would have been pretty bad ass having OJ Howard in the mix. Sad
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:00 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Really was pounding the table for Howard when he was drafted. I was excited when I heard the news about the visit but thinking about it now I’m not sure if it would have been the right move. Think I was still thinking he would be great, but he’s going on his 3rd team in what 5 years? Maybe less. He had Brady and Allen throwing him the ball and he still couldn’t stand out. Give me the unknown with potential.

Who am I kidding, it still would have been pretty bad ass having OJ Howard in the mix. Sad

OJ actually was very productive his first 2 seasons. It was absolutely still the better choice over #15
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:00 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Really was pounding the table for Howard when he was drafted. I was excited when I heard the news about the visit but thinking about it now I’m not sure if it would have been the right move. Think I was still thinking he would be great, but he’s going on his 3rd team in what 5 years? Maybe less. He had Brady and Allen throwing him the ball and he still couldn’t stand out. Give me the unknown with potential.

Hey, it still might be in the cards TKUHL. I feel the same way.

Not impressed with this Asiasi even though the Patriots wanted him back.
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:03 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: OJ actually was very productive his first 2 seasons. It was absolutely still the better choice over #15

And then he tore his Achilles and has not been the same.  Damaged goods. 
Reply/Quote
Asiasi has 2 receptions for 39 yds.in his career.I guess he blocks well.I guess Sample is back at practice.Also brought in OJ Howard.Weird!?!
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 11:09 PM)Mgbrown66 Wrote: And then he tore his Achilles and has not been the same.  Damaged goods. 

Uzomah bounced back from his Achilles for a career season. You just never know.

Reply/Quote
The Sample hate is comical. He was over-drafted and is not a threat as a receiver, but he fills a role well.

OJ was graded as the 2nd worst TE in the NFL last season (out of 70 TEs).
Asiasi has not gotten any playtime.

Sample is the TE2, Asiasi would be his backup.

Hurst is without a doubt TE1, if we signed OJ, he would be his backup.

Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 05:07 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Sample's Run and Pass blocking grades double OJ's who was 3rd worst out of 70 TE's last season.  Definitely NOT an upgrade.

There's way more to a TE than blocking, how about the ability to be a playmaker? 
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:57 AM)740Bengal Wrote: There's way more to a TE than blocking, how about the ability to be a playmaker? 

Drew Sample has 1 TD in 3 years. What more do you want? Ninja

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 10:57 AM)740Bengal Wrote: There's way more to a TE than blocking, how about the ability to be a playmaker? 

They would call that a luxury. It all depends on what kind of an offense you run. For most TE's that make the NFL (and damn near all TE's back in the day ) I'd say that if you can flat-out block then you can make a team and play. Just look at all the TE's that have come out of OSU the past 20 years. Plenty of starters have played/are playing for years now and are being used more in the passing game as receiving threats than they were at OSU.
Reply/Quote

Some (old school?) people will argue blocking is the most important piece of TE, whereas some will argue being a weapon in the passing game is more important.

Both are valuable, and I think it depends on the scheme that's being ran.
Personally, I prefer a TE who is a receiving threat.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 11:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Drew Sample has 1 TD in 3 years. What more do you want? Ninja

But in his defense he came really close to having like three more.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 11:45 AM)michaelsean Wrote: But in his defense he came really close to having like three more.

Like the one where Myles Jack punked him for his lunch money?

Reply/Quote