Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OJ Howard coming to Cincinnati-came and went-no contract
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/01/texans-sign-o-j-howard/
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 08:08 PM)CincinnatiKid Wrote: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/01/texans-sign-o-j-howard/

Curious how much they paid Howard and why he chose the Texans. Maybe because they don't have an TEs of note and he can get more involved than as TE2 at Cincinnati? Certainly would get more exposure with the Bengals even if TE2. Maybe it was money?
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 07:50 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Dosent seem likely now. I can’t be mad, I have no idea who this other guy is. Guess I’ll do some homework.

How you been man? Hope everything is going well. I’m not on here as much as I use too. I try to stay away during pre season, can’t stand seeing players injured and out for the year in pre season. Anyway stay safe man, you’ve always been pretty cool with me on here. Who-Dey

Yeah, it isn't in the cards, he signed with the lowly Texans. He might be washed up. Asiasi might be a good blocker that CAN
catch the ball similar to Sample. We do need blocking TE's as Uzo was pretty good and left and he was a better blocker than 
Hayden Hurst who I think will offer more in the passing game.

Been great brother. It was actually about the best Pre-season I have seen as a Bengals fan as far as important players not 
getting hurt. We are AS healthy as I can remember going into a season, way more healthy than last season when Ossai was
on IR and both Burrow and our starting Center in Hopkins were both banged up coming off of ACL tears.

Who-Dey! Think we are in for a special year, even more special than last but it will be a battle no question as it should be. Rock On

(09-01-2022, 07:52 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Joey Franchise gave him some fresh squeezed OJ and said "good luck in TX with whomever hae QB is over there bruh"

Damn rights lol

(09-01-2022, 07:57 PM)Tony Wrote: Sample got straight bullied on that play. I was totally done with him after that...

He did get bullied a bit, should of fought much harder for the ball. Was a great play by Myles Jack but you cannot let that happen.
Reply/Quote
(09-01-2022, 08:19 PM)Nepa Wrote: Curious how much they paid Howard and why he chose the Texans. Maybe because they don't have an TEs of note and he can get more involved than as TE2 at Cincinnati? Certainly would get more exposure with the Bengals even if TE2. Maybe it was money?

for younger players $$ is driving force, for older veteran playing for a winning team with a chance to win in playoffs can be a driving force
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2022, 12:41 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I agree on OJ, but disagree totally on Moss - undersized, slow, not a good blocker and had a terrible drop on the best pass thrown all preseason by a Bengals QB. His cut was not surprisingly whatsoever.

That was a really bad drop on a really nice pass, but he is a solid blocker and not slow.  His combine/pro day times were done with a fracture in his foot.  I remember a report last year that, now healthy, he was a very difficult assignment to cover for LBs in practice.  

The penalties probably did him in as much as the one drop.  I give the guy more slack than most because it had been quite a while since he was fully healthy and he was working to get his feel back.  Hope he at least stays on PS and gets another shot someday. 
Reply/Quote
Howard is a bust in the NFL. No big loss here.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 09:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That was a really bad drop on a really nice pass, but he is a solid blocker and not slow.  His combine/pro day times were done with a fracture in his foot.  I remember a report last year that, now healthy, he was a very difficult assignment to cover for LBs in practice.  

The penalties probably did him in as much as the one drop.  I give the guy more slack than most because it had been quite a while since he was fully healthy and he was working to get his feel back.  Hope he at least stays on PS and gets another shot someday. 

You give him more slack than most for sure.  I just dont see him as a NFL level TE.

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 11:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Howard is a bust in the NFL. No big loss here.

Howard is only a bust as a 1st round pick, but still a productive NFL caliber player. Asiasi is both a bust as a 3rd round pick and a bust as even being a productive NFL caliber player.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 02:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Howard is only a bust as a 1st round pick, but still a productive NFL caliber player. Asiasi is both a bust as a 3rd round pick and a bust as even being a productive NFL caliber player.

Fair point.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 11:08 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Howard is a bust in the NFL. No big loss here.

But let’s be honest, if OJ lived up to his hype, we wouldn’t be entertaining the idea of signing him right now.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 03:21 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: But let’s be honest, if OJ lived up to his hype, we wouldn’t be entertaining the idea of signing him right now.

The Bills signed him and ate $3 million to get rid of him. That should be extremely telling.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2022, 09:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: That was a really bad drop on a really nice pass, but he is a solid blocker and not slow.  His combine/pro day times were done with a fracture in his foot.  I remember a report last year that, now healthy, he was a very difficult assignment to cover for LBs in practice.  

Thaddeus DID look much faster this Preseason and in TC than he did earlier in the year.

Makes sense he was injured with a foot fracture, that would really slow a guy down, ouch.

He looked pretty good this Preseason and surprised the heck out of me as I was thinking he would be out of the league
soon with not showing anything. But he finally shown something and glad he is on the PS.
Reply/Quote
Not upset about this. OJ came into the league with tantalizing potential but at some point you gotta produce. I don't hear many Bucs fans complaining about letting him go. Eventually it becomes clear that he's not the guy you thought he was and you cut your losses.

The Bengals' TE room is not a strength but that's a function of how the roster was constructed. This team will sink or swim based on how they perform downfield and outside the #'s. Howard wasn't going to change that.
Reply/Quote
I watched Asiasi play at UM before transferring to UCLA - everybody thought he was going to be a beast but then he transferred. The potential is there - former borderline 5-star, potential first round talent - as a backup FA, I think he is a plus but I'm not as down on Sample as some. PFF stats prove he is an elite blocker at TE, the question is that worth having on a team when he can't do much else.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 02:57 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: I watched Asiasi play at UM before transferring to UCLA - everybody thought he was going to be a beast but then he transferred. The potential is there - former borderline 5-star, potential first round talent - as a backup FA, I think he is a plus but I'm not as down on Sample as some. PFF stats prove he is an elite blocker at TE, the question is that worth having on a team when he can't do much else.

With Joey B getting sacked all the time it is plenty worth it keeping Sample!
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2022, 02:57 AM)DYT_Bengal Wrote: I watched Asiasi play at UM before transferring to UCLA - everybody thought he was going to be a beast but then he transferred. The potential is there - former borderline 5-star, potential first round talent - as a backup FA, I think he is a plus but I'm not as down on Sample as some. PFF stats prove he is an elite blocker at TE, the question is that worth having on a team when he can't do much else.

Thanks for this on Asiasi is all I have seen of him is in those highlights provided.

(09-03-2022, 03:05 AM)Yogo Wrote: With Joey B getting sacked all the time it is plenty worth it keeping Sample!

True. Don't think Joe will be sacked near as much this season but Sample helps. Just don't have him trying to block a 
team's #1 Defensive End. Cannot expect any TE to do this. Seeing him lined up against Myles Garrett gives me chills.

Hurst isn't even near as good of a blocker as Uzo, let alone Drew Sample. TE's need to chip, not be O-lineman.
Reply/Quote
OJ Howard caught both of his targets today for 38 yards and 2 TDs.

Meanwhile the Bengals had Mike Thomas play a majority of the game, and spent a chunk of the game with both Mike Thomas and Trent Taylor on the field.

Asiasi was a healthy inactive.

Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: OJ Howard caught both of his targets today for 38 yards and 2 TDs.

Meanwhile the Bengals had Mike Thomas play a majority of the game, and spent a chunk of the game with both Mike Thomas and Trent Taylor on the field.

Howard is a te though. I thought Hurst played very well.

Maybe OBJ if we're going to play 5 wr?

The Mike Thomas miss where he heard footsteps was infuriating.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: OJ Howard caught both of his targets today for 38 yards and 2 TDs.

But can OJ Howard long snap?
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2022, 07:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Howard is a te though. I thought Hurst played very well.

Maybe OBJ if we're going to play 5 wr?

The Mike Thomas miss where he heard footsteps was infuriating.

Could have at least moved to 2 TEs. Anything to keep PS guys off the field. The most important part is they were 1 injury away from Mike Thomas being a major part of the offense. That was never a good plan and they needed to add another NFL caliber pass catching threat.

Yeah, he really pulled out on that.

Reply/Quote