Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
OT Jordan Mills visiting
(04-03-2019, 09:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Who says the Bengals are the worst team ever and every move they make is wrong? I've freely admitted that I've felt Marvin did a good job with the team during the regular season making them respectable. Seems like you're creating that myth that there are people on this board acting like the Bengals were 90's level bad under Marvin...

They actually do make some decent moves. They made great moves finding Atkins and Green. Atkins in the 4th Round may have been one of the best draft finds ever. But, over the last 5 years they've whiffed a lot.

Is resigning Bobby Hart to be the starting RT praiseworthy? Would any teams fanbase be happy if they had $50 million cap space going into the offseason and the big free agent signings were Kerry Wynn, BW Webb, and Jonathan Miller?

I'm dissatisfied because with that much cap space, I prefer to see 2-3 CLEAR UPGRADES. Not, be sitting here hearing our best chance to compete is Taylor being a genius, or having the team totally healthy, or having all the teams in our division get worse and relying on a last place schedule.

I just feel like it's a hamster wheel of them not fixing O-Line issues and having sub-par linebackers.

It's just keeps going round and round.

We can only hope they draft well at this point and get day 1 starters for a few positions in those areas.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 10:01 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I just feel like it's a hamster wheel of them not fixing O-Line issues and having sub-par linebackers.

It's just keeps going round and round.

We can only hope they draft well at this point and get day 1 starters for a few positions in those areas.

Even back when we had really good rosters in 2015 it was obvious to anyone watching that the Bengals had issues at Center and MLB...yet unaddressed.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 10:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Even back when we had really good rosters in 2015 it was obvious to anyone watching that the Bengals had issues at Center and MLB...yet unaddressed.

It all started when they were rotating centers and went downhill from there.

Paul Alexander was a focal point for sticking with poor players too long, whether it was ego, or he was just being a yes-man to Mike Brown we'll never know.

I'm just not jumping for joy until the season begins and improvements are realized.

It's all speculation from positive to negative comments.  We can only go by these players track records.

I really, really, really want to be wrong about my doubts and worries.

The crowd that prefers being right to players they have trashed on just so they can say "I told you so" can GTFO.

That's not what I'm about and don't really like to be negative.  This ownership just puts me in a position to question and doubt them.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 10:25 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: It all started when they were rotating centers and went downhill from there.

Paul Alexander was a focal point for sticking with poor players too long, whether it was ego, or he was just being a yes-man to Mike Brown we'll never know.

I'm just not jumping for joy until the season begins and improvements are realized.

It's all speculation from positive to negative comments.  We can only go by these players track records.

I really, really, really want to be wrong about my doubts and worries.

The crowd that prefers being right to players they have trashed on just so they can say "I told you so" can GTFO.

That's not what I'm about and don't really like to be negative.  This ownership just puts me in a position to question and doubt them.

Well under Mike Brown's tenure, we've been under .500 17 times.

We've been over .500 7 times. (All during Marvin's tenure as HC.) (Marvin was under .500 5 times and .500 even 3 times. So 7 winning seasons. 8 non-winning seasons.)

That's the track record for regular season.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Of course I believe it.  Why wouldn't I?  But to win a playoff game you have to have a winning season and make the playoffsBut you never mention those numbers when talking about the Bengal over the last 16 years because they are in the top half of the league in those measures.

Right now you worship at the alter of the "playoff win" metric and ignore other like "championships" or "total wins" because they do not make the Bengals look as bad.  But as soon as the Bengals win a playoff you game you will move on to something else.  Suddenly your ultimate measurement will be "meaningless if you don't win a championship".

Granted, its a cherry picked stat but that is what happens when you are dead last at something.

We are focused on playoff wins like the Browns fans dying to get 8 wins and end that losing streak and the Lions fans would be ecstatic to make their first SB.

Different sport and all, but I have a lot of friends who are Pirates fans and when they were the first pro team in any sport to have 20 losing seasons in a row just breaking .500 was orgasmic.

I worked across the river from PNC and when they hosted that one wild card game people in the office were going nuts and scrambling to get tickets.  It was pretty crazy, especially since these same people had experienced multiple championships via the Steelers and Penguins.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 11:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Granted, its a cherry picked stat but that is what happens when you are dead last at something.

We are focused on playoff wins like the Browns fans dying to get 8 wins and end that losing streak and the Lions fans would be ecstatic to make their first SB.

Different sport and all, but I have a lot of friends who are Pirates fans and when they were the first pro team in any sport to have 20 losing seasons in a row just breaking .500 was orgasmic.

I worked across the river from PNC and when they hosted that one wild card game people in the office were going nuts and scrambling to get tickets.  It was pretty crazy, especially since these same people had experienced multiple championships via the Steelers and Penguins.

And playoff wins lead to Super Bowl wins. I posted the stats above. The 11 teams with the most playoff wins since 1991 ALL have Super Bowl wins and some multiple Super Bowls.

The bottom 10 teams in playoff wins...only 1 team has a SB win over that span.

Super Bowl teams don't just come out of nowhere like catching lightening in a bottle. 
Reply/Quote
As far as the assertion that we're a great regular season team:

From 2000-2010 we have the 26th best regular season record:
26. Cincinnati Bengals 72-103 regular season record, .411 winning %, 2 playoff appearances, Playoffs: 0-2, 0 Super Bowl wins, 0 SB appearances

From 2017 - Our 10 year record was 14th.
14. Cincinnati Bengals (83-74-3)
https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417

The losing seasons the past 2 years won't inflate that ranking much.

Yay!!! The Golden Era for a 10 year span over the past 27 years is the 14th best regular season ranking in the league!!!
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 11:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As far as the assertion that we're a great regular season team:

26. Cincinnati Bengals 72-103 regular season record, .411 winning %, 2 playoff appearances, Playoffs: 0-2, 0 Super Bowl wins, 0 SB appearances

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/every-nfl-teams-10-year-record-ranked-32-1-010417

Yay!!! The Golden Era for a 10 year span over the past 27 years is the 14th best regular season ranking in the league!!!

Damn you and your facts. If it wasn’t for Andy Dalton throwing a interception against the Steelers n getting hurt on said play we would be super bowl champs. Even the playoff games were hard to watch. Let’s not bring up how we do against the Steelers the past few years. Brutal
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But if you admit that then it is harder to claim the Bengals are the "worst" or a "laughingstock".

Well, "laughingstock" and "worst" were certainly fitting terms for Mike Brown. Marvin Lewis came along and changed that, but it took many years. Just think of those 90's all over again where the team couldn't buy a winning season if it had won every state lottery in the land.

Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 11:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As far as the assertion that we're a great regular season team:

Given that 14th out of 32 is just above the half way mark, I guess we can now call this team "average".

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 01:50 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Given that 14th out of 32 is just above the half way mark, I guess we can now call this team "average".

Well and that was during our peak. When we made the playoffs 7 times.

When 2010-2019 is completed, we may fall below 14 as the past 2 years have been below .500.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 11:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: As far as the assertion that we're a great regular season team:

No one asserted that we're a great regular season team.

I was just pointing out how all the complainers ignore our regular season record because it does not make the Bengals look like the worst team in the league.  In fact it puts us in the top half of the league.  That is not good enough, but it certainly puts a hole in "the worst team in the league" argument.  

You can't have a better record than a majority of the teams without doing something right.  But all I hear is how we can't draft, we don't sign good free agents, and we had the worst coaches.  At some point you have to look at the numbers and give the Bengals credit for doing SOMETHING better than a majority of teams in the league.  
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 11:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And playoff wins lead to Super Bowl wins. I posted the stats above. The 11 teams with the most playoff wins since 1991 ALL have Super Bowl wins and some multiple Super Bowls.

The bottom 10 teams in playoff wins...only 1 team has a SB win over that span.

Super Bowl teams don't just come out of nowhere like catching lightening in a bottle. 

Same exact thing could be said about regular season wins and their correlation to chances of winning the Super Bowl, but for same strange reason you never mention that metric.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No one asserted that we're a great regular season team.

I was just pointing out how all the complainers ignore our regular season record because it does not make the Bengals look like the worst team in the league.  In fact it puts us in the top half of the league.  That is not good enough, but it certainly puts a hole in "the worst team in the league" argument.  

You can't have a better record than a majority of the teams without doing something right.  But all I hear is how we can't draft, we don't sign good free agents, and we had the worst coaches.  At some point you have to look at the numbers and give the Bengals credit for doing SOMETHING better than a majority of teams in the league.  

Nobody is trying to make the Bengals look like the worst team in the league. Currently, there are definitely worse teams.

At our peak, we were the 14th best regular season team. Does that make you happy? Are there speeches to get players fired up at the start of the year that are like 'Maybe. Just Maybe...if EVERYTHING GOES WELL...we'll be the 14th best team over the decade!!!'

This proves one of my theories that the 90's were so bad that many fans are happy to just be average. It also explains why Marvin Lewis lasted so long.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 09:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Anyone (FRED) care to reply to this post that there IS indeed a correlation between playoff wins and Super Bowls?  Super Bowl wins.

Any comments? 

Anyone care to comment on the correlation of regular season wins to Super Bowl victories?
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You can't have a better record than a majority of the teams without doing something right.  But all I hear is how we can't draft, we don't sign good free agents, and we had the worst coaches.  At some point you have to look at the numbers and give the Bengals credit for doing SOMETHING better than a majority of teams in the league.  

Would you also apply this to the Owner, Fred ?

Did Mike outperform a majority of the other Owners during that same span or was Mike still the "worst owner" during that span?

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:12 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Same exact thing could be said about regular season wins and their correlation to chances of winning the Super Bowl, but for same strange reason you never mention that metric.

Show me numbers. I've yet to see them.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No one asserted that we're a great regular season team.

You're touting regular season wins:
From 2000-2010 we were 26th in the league.
From 2007-2017 we were 14th. And this span is probably the best 10 year span that could be cherrypicked to prove the Bengals are good. And it's still 14th!

I don't know that those numbers disprove people saying we need a GM. More scouts. An indoor practice facility.

Some people are just happy we're not 1990's level bad I suppose.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2019, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know that those numbers disprove people saying we need a GM. More scouts. An indoor practice facility.

They certainly disprove the claims that we can't draft, we had the worst coaches, and we don't sign any good free agents.  But why address what I actually said?  What would be the fun in that?

(04-04-2019, 10:28 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some people are just happy we're not 1990's level bad I suppose.

Really?

Who?

Give me a name.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 10:03 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Even back when we had really good rosters in 2015 it was obvious to anyone watching that the Bengals had issues at Center and MLB...yet unaddressed.

This is what frustrates me the most. We were a couple of players away and didn't use free agency to go get them. Just ride with what we got. Now we are even more players away and we are riding with what we got. Signing the same players that didn't get you anywhere is not being active in free agency to improve. When your only improvement is a debatable BW Webb you have to be a brain washed cult member to defend that. I hate that we had a ton of talent in there prime and we just sat back and let the years go bye. It is sooooo frustrating but come September I will be in front of the tv rooting away. Damn you MB and your koolaid.
Reply/Quote