Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
OT Jordan Mills visiting
(04-02-2019, 10:19 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: This is all a master plan to make Hart look better to justify that contract they gave him.  Mellow

(04-02-2019, 11:04 AM)jj22 Wrote: What they are doing is what another poster said, making sure whoever they sign doesn't outshine Hart and have fans calling for him to start.

At least one member of the Bengal Front Office has gotten very defensive about signing Hart and has been trying to justify the move to fans.

This is what worries me about this Organization.

They don't even seem to like to have a Rookie push some of their settled on Starters.

A.  Will they wait to Draft a more developmental rookie Offensive Tackle so as not to have a rookie beat out Hart midway through the 2019 season in order to Save Face on their decision to sign Hart ?

-OR-

B. Will they remain open minded about Drafting say a 1st or 2nd round Offensive Tackle that will LIKELY beat out Hart midway through the 2019 season and make an Upgrade ?

If the Front Office is set on Option A above, then it is a signal to me that they still don't get it.

They dig their heels in on sticking with the bad to mediocre and let their Draft be DICTATED by decisions to not provide Stiff competition to players like Hart.

If I were the GM, Bobby Hart would be quaking in his boots after day 1 or day 2 of the 2019 Draft because I would have drafted a guy that would have a High probability of taking his job fairly soon.

Not sure anyone in the Bengal Front Office thinks this way...
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 12:29 PM)depthchart Wrote: At least one member of the Bengal Front Office has gotten very defensive about signing Hart and has been trying to justify the move to fans.

This is what worries me about this Organization.

They don't even seem to like to have a Rookie push some of their settled on Starters.

A.  Will they wait to Draft a more developmental rookie Offensive Tackle so as not to have a rookie beat out Hart midway through the 2019 season in order to Save Face on their decision to sign Hart ?

-OR-

B. Will they remain open minded about Drafting say a 1st or 2nd round Offensive Tackle that will LIKELY beat out Hart midway through the 2019 season and make an Upgrade ?

If the Front Office is set on Option A above, then it is a signal to me that they still don't get it.

They dig their heels in on sticking with the bad to mediocre and let their Draft be DICTATED by decisions to not provide Stiff competition to players like Hart.

If I were the GM, Bobby Hart would be quaking in his boots after day 1 or day 2 of the 2019 Draft because I would have drafted a guy that would have a High probability of taking his job fairly soon.

Not sure anyone in the Bengal Front Office thinks this way...

What moves do you look at from the front office this offseason outside of firing Marvin (3 years too late) that says...Wow they are really changing things up?
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 12:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What moves do you look at from the front office this offseason outside of firing Marvin (3 years too late) that says...Wow they are really changing things up?

Not much of anything but they are not going to change their philosophy because they hired a new coach...The Bengals retain their own and rebuild through the draft.  The funny thing is that the last couple of years everyone on these boards said it was Marvin's fault and there was nothing wrong in general with the roster outside of a few weak spots.  So, here we are...same philosophy, above average roster and a new coach...Let's see if he can out coach Marvin.

As far as the Hart signing and possibly bringing this Mills guy in?  I would rather have a couple of bad/mediocre experienced guys to start the season than signing no one and going into camp with ONE OT (Glenn) and a couple rookies.  Everyone seems to forget that we had no other true OTs on the roster except Glenn.  That would not be a very wise move in my opinion.  Also, if someone does beat out Hart then it costs $5.5 million in dead money.  5.5 mil is middle of the road for a RT and most below him are on rookie contracts.  I think they overpaid a bit but not as much as this board has overreacted like they did.
Reply/Quote
So, Mills made it through the day, without signing a contract with the Bengals. I guess it's off to Houston for him?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 12:39 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: What moves do you look at from the front office this offseason outside of firing Marvin (3 years too late) that says...Wow they are really changing things up?

I could see Zac needing a season with Dalton & a lot of the existing players still on the Roster to get a clear picture of what he has.

Then bigger changes come in year 2 with maybe even a QB of Zac's choosing coming likely via the Draft. Hopefully they use Free Agency at least a little more in year 2.

For me this year, I am watching the Draft moves related to the Offensive line first and foremost. Most are watching linebacker.

I would take Hart's stiff competition in either rounds 1 or 2 and if the Bengals even chose to get a 3rd round offensive tackle instead then I would view that as progress.

I want potential Greatness out of their 1st round pick at pick #11 versus just a hole filler -or- a tactical trade down for more high picks or a veteran player.

I am also hoping that a few of the Draft moves have the scent of Zac on them versus the scent of Mike/Duke/Katie etc. May only know it when I sees it.

The actual Coaching itself will likely have to Overshadow anything else in year one, since I'm not expecting many earth shattering moves right away.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 12:55 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Not much of anything but they are not going to change their philosophy because they hired a new coach...The Bengals retain their own and rebuild through the draft.  The funny thing is that the last couple of years everyone on these boards said it was Marvin's fault and there was nothing wrong in general with the roster outside of a few weak spots.  So, here we are...same philosophy, above average roster and a new coach...Let's see if he can out coach Marvin.

As far as the Hart signing and possibly bringing this Mills guy in?  I would rather have a couple of bad/mediocre experienced guys to start the season than signing no one and going into camp with ONE OT (Glenn) and a couple rookies.  Everyone seems to forget that we had no other true OTs on the roster except Glenn.  That would not be a very wise move in my opinion.  Also, if someone does beat out Hart then it costs $5.5 million in dead money.  5.5 mil is middle of the road for a RT and most below him are on rookie contracts.  I think they overpaid a bit but not as much as this board has overreacted like they did.

I think people would have been more ok with Hart if he was signed for less money.

Also, if we added a couple Tier B free agents that clearly upgraded spots like LB and Guard then fans would be more accepting of Hart. But, man right after we could start negotiating with free agents hearing the 3 years up to $21 million number was kind of like a dagger to hopes that things changed in a big way.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 12:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, Mills made it through the day, without signing a contract with the Bengals.  I guess it's off to Houston for him?

Yep a lot of unneeded belly aching by the usual crowd.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 01:11 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Yep a lot of unneeded belly aching by the usual crowd.

Some people complain about the team. Some people complain about people complaining about the team under the guise of being positive.  Hilarious

We all have our role I guess.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 01:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some people complain about the team. Some people complain about people complaining about the team under the guise of being positive.  Hilarious

"belly aching" abound.

When people realize we are all in this mess together (dedicated/nearly obsessed Bengal fans). They'll be more open to other opinions.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 02:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: "belly aching" abound.

When people realize we are all in this mess together (dedicated/nearly obsessed Bengal fans). They'll be more open to other opinions.

After 27+ years that won't happen for some. They're in denial.

Then when we do get that 1st playoff win in like 30 years...boy we'll hear about how great the model is! Much like the Model Model Bengals.com article!
Reply/Quote
I actually think we take an OT before rd 3, and we take a developmental guy again in rd 5/6.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:32 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The dude is essentially a slightly older version of Bobby Hart.

PFF rated him the #70 Tackle with a 56.0 grade.
PFF rated Hart the #69 Tackle with a 56.2 grade.

Here's a PFF free agent review of Jordan Mills:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2019-nfl-free-agency-profile-jordan-mills

I guess someone on the Bengals was really impressed with the 2016 Bills offensive line.

Basically neither of these guys would be a starter anywhere else in the entire league. 
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 10:19 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: This is all a master plan to make Hart look better to justify that contract they gave him.  Mellow

Idk...if we were able to sign Mills for cheaper, it'd make the Hart contract look even worse. 

In fact, I think I'll keep an eye on what Mills eventually signs for. 

(04-02-2019, 02:26 PM)jj22 Wrote: "belly aching" abound.

It'd be nice, but some things never change. Some like to stay postive no matter what, and I respect that. Personally, I call it what it is, then hope we can have a laugh about it when things are bad. We all love the Bengals. Pretending otherwise is petty and immature, imo.

(04-02-2019, 03:05 PM)yang Wrote: Basically neither of these guys would be a starter anywhere else in the entire league. 

Well maybe in New York, but no, they're not starter quality. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 01:21 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Some people complain about the team. Some people complain about people complaining about the team under the guise of being positive.  Hilarious

It's every thread. I mean really, do we need to read the same crap in every thread. 
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 07:34 PM)sandwedge Wrote: It's every thread. I mean really, do we need to read the same crap in every thread. 

And there you go complaining about complaining. Thanks for that great contribution!  Hilarious

It is somewhat flattering that you follow my posts so closely that you feel the need to reply to them all. Pistonsmania is running wild!
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 02:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: After 27+ years that won't happen for some. They're in denial.

Then when we do get that 1st playoff win in like 30 years...boy we'll hear about how great the model is! Much like the Model Model Bengals.com article!

When we get the first playoff win the whiners will say celebrating a playoff win is "accepting mediocrity". All they do is move the goalposts so they can keep hating. They already refuse to acknowledge the success the bengals have had under Marvin and act like the last decade is ecactly like the 1990's.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2019, 11:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: When we get the first playoff win the whiners will say celebrating a playoff win is "accepting mediocrity". All they do is move the goalposts so they can keep hating. They already refuse to acknowledge the success the bengals have had under Marvin and act like the last decade is ecactly like the 1990's.

I can't wait for the day when people whine because we only win one Superbowl and fail to follow it up the next year with another one.

That is the kind of goal post moving I want around here for a change.  Tongue
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 10:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And there you go complaining about complaining. Thanks for that great contribution!  Hilarious

It is somewhat flattering that you follow my posts so closely that you feel the need to reply to them all. Pistonsmania is running wild!

It is the most circular logic ever. It's ok to go over every stat stat known to man for AD 20 times over, but we cannot do that for the Bengals lack of PO success? Do I get sort of tired of hearing how much we've sucked in the PO? Yeah, I do. But I also get tired of hearing the same guys debating our QB ad nausea (we had to make our own special little place to debate it). But it's their rub on the team. Everyone has their rub on this team; Andy Dalton, Mike Brown (Me), scouting, FA pickups, lack of PO success. The list can go on and on. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 10:19 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: And there you go complaining about complaining. Thanks for that great contribution!  Hilarious

What are you 12?
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 10:33 AM)Au165 Wrote: He isn't a starter and not meant to be (even though he has). He is young and has experience, which seems to be what we are looking for. He is a 3rd or 4th tackle that could be cut if we draft two in the draft. We need to have 4 or 5 on the roster heading into camp so I wouldn't worry too much about this, he is a depth guy.

Well, I hate to point it out, but that is exactly what people said about Hart last year and he ended up starting and being one of the worst RTs in the league. Of course, Mills is better than Ogbuehi and Fisher so the depth at the position would improve.

Reply/Quote