Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Octopuses are Aliens
I'm not sure I believe any of the theories that are out there, regarding where life began and who or what created it.

IMO, there are holes in all of the theories that are out there.
(08-22-2015, 09:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I simply said they can be (most likely should have said appear) when they try to explain something they don't understand.

You mean they appear silly when they try to explain something you don't understand....which apparently is most of science since you don't believe in it.
(08-22-2015, 10:49 PM)Beaker Wrote: You mean they appear silly when they try to explain something you don't understand....which apparently is most of science since you don't believe in it.

No they appear silly when they try to explain something they don't understand.

You are all sciency. When does human life begin?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-22-2015, 11:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No they appear silly when they try to explain something they don't understand.

The options are "look for possible real answers to things I don't understand" or "use magic to explain things I don't understand".

Guess which one looks more silly to me?
(08-23-2015, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The options are "look for possible real answers to things I don't understand" or "use magic to explain things I don't understand".

There are no real answers. 

There are guesses and nothing more. 

I've watched a lot of shows and read some books on the "scientific" theories regarding where life began and find them comical at best. 
(08-23-2015, 11:31 AM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: I've watched a lot of shows and read some books on the "scientific" theories regarding where life began and find them comical at best. 

Maybe you should try reading some books that don't put quotation marks around the word "scientific".
(08-23-2015, 11:40 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe you should try reading some books that don't put quotation marks around the word "scientific".

Very large difference between "science" and "scientific theory".  
(08-23-2015, 11:44 AM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Very large difference between "science" and "scientific theory".  

Not really.  Scientific theories have their basis in science.

How can you claim to fond their claims "comical" when you do not have any more solid theories yourself?  At least they are using the scientific method to attempt to advance our knowledge.  What do you think they should do instead?

You remind me of a lot of other people around here.  Just like to call everyone stupid even though you don't have any better ideas yourself.
(08-23-2015, 11:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The options are "look for possible real answers to things I don't understand" or "use magic to explain things I don't understand".

Quote:bfine32

You are all sciency. When does human life begin?

What do your science books tell you?

(08-23-2015, 11:57 AM)bfine32 Wrote: What do your science books tell you?

Are you talking about when human life arose in history or when an individual human life starts?

And are you agreeing with the science books or disagreeing with them?

I'll gladly address your point if you will explain what your point is.

(08-23-2015, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You remind me of a lot of me.  Just like to call everyone stupid even though you don't have any better ideas yourself.
FIFY

(08-23-2015, 11:59 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Are you talking about when human life arose in history or when an individual human life starts?

And are you agreeing with the science books or disagreeing with them?

I'll gladly address your point if you will explain what your point is.

When does a human life begin according to science?

Not the origin of man.

(08-23-2015, 11:55 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not really.  Scientific theories have their basis in science.

How can you claim to fond their claims "comical" when you do not have any more solid theories yourself?  At least they are using the scientific method to attempt to advance our knowledge.  What do you think they should do instead?

You remind me of a lot of other people around here.  Just like to call everyone stupid even though you don't have any better ideas yourself.

Okay.  I saw a show on History a week or so ago with a scientist that claimed that oxygen came here on meteors.  I laughed. 

Why do I need a theory in order to laugh at the theory of others?  Anything that I came up with would be a guess, which would put me on par with all of the others. 

I'm not calling everyone stupid.  I'm calling people that act like they have all of the answers to something that we will probably never have all of the answers to stupid. 
(08-23-2015, 12:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: When does a human life begin according to science?

Not the origin of man.

What do you care?

You don't believe in science, remember?

But to answer your question human life begins at conception.  However that does not mean it is an individual due individual rights greater than those of the mother.  I have explained this before, but you just don't get it.  The law has to balance the rights of humans against each other.  You seem to act like the mother is not a human entitled to individual rights of her own.  In the case of  fetus it does not become an individual entitled to individual rights greater then the host mother until it becomes an individual.

the funny thing is that many people who claim to be "pro-life" also support a mothers right to deny medical treatment for a sick child and depend solely on prayer to save it.  Their position regarding indiviual rights flip 180 degrees to fit their religious beliefs.
(08-23-2015, 12:08 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Okay.  I saw a show on History a week or so ago with a scientist that claimed that oxygen came here on meteors.  I laughed. 

What was so funny about that?

First of all it is only a theory.  And, second, it is not impossible for oxygen producing microbes to arrive on meteors.
(08-23-2015, 12:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you care?

You don't believe in science, remember?

But to answer your question human life begins at conception.  However that does not mean it is an individual due individual rights greater than those of the mother.  I have explained this before, but you just don't get it.  The law has to balance the rights of humans against each other.  You seem to act like the mother is not a human entitled to individual rights of her own.  In the case of  fetus it does not become an individual entitled to individual rights greater then the host mother until it becomes an individual.

the funny thing is that many people who claim to be "pro-life" also support a mothers right to deny medical treatment for a sick child and depend solely on prayer to save it.  Their position regarding indiviual rights flip 180 degrees to fit their religious beliefs.
Where have I ever said I don't believe in science? I do not believe in the Theory of Evolution and the asertion that man evolved from a fish that learned to breath air, walk, and climb trees.

I do not believe a parent has the right to put a child's health in jeopardy regardless of their religious believes. We just differ in the fact that I take it all the way back to when the life began.

Duh

[Image: 4dfa926c5f0afad6fba4b031245c3750.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-23-2015, 12:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What was so funny about that?

First of all it is only a theory.  And, second, it is not impossible for oxygen producing microbes to arrive on meteors.

Because it's stupid. 

Theoretical science is every bit as much guess work as theoretical anything. 

It's possible?  Well yeah, I'd guess pretty much anything is possible.  I could sit around and make up things all day without the burden of proof. 
(08-23-2015, 12:53 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Because it's stupid. 

Theoretical science is every bit as much guess work as theoretical anything. 

It's possible?  Well yeah, I'd guess pretty much anything is possible.  I could sit around and make up things all day without the burden of proof. 

So my theory about Jon Snow's parents is just as much guess work as all of Stephen Hawking's theories?

Sweet!
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-23-2015, 12:53 PM)jakefromstatefarm Wrote: Theoretical science is every bit as much guess work as theoretical anything. 

Scientific theory have to be based on things that are scientifically possible.

That is why they exclude magic as an answer.