Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Game Strategy vs. Buffalo
(12-29-2022, 12:15 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: OUR YPA or YPC is 3.9 and that's not bad.  Methinks too many of y'all are spoiled and are always looking for the 50+ yard play to Chase or T-Higgs.  You need to realize the 3 to 5 yard gain up the gut is very effective in setting up the big play. 

3.9 not so arguably IS bad. If you take the top 50 running backs in the NFL right now, the 25th (aka average/middle) guy is at 4.4. That's average. That goes for this year, last year, the year before, before that, etc etc etc. 

If you don't have RBs that can average 4.4+ you don't have "good" running backs. Top 10 guys average right at and above 5.0 per carry. 

If you look at entire teams rushing average, the average/middle team runs it at 4.4 per carry (see a pattern here?). The Bengals are 5th from the bottom, the 28th best at rushing average, out of 32 teams. 

That is not, not bad. That is bad. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 12:10 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's larking
He did kill a lark with a stick once.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 12:37 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: He did kill a lark with a stick once.

I always thought it was a muskrat with a tire iron?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 12:37 AM)Rotobeast Wrote: He did kill a lark with a stick once.

With a Scottish accent
Only to kill a gopher
A golfer?!?!?.  No, I said a gopher.  

BTW, their fat is much better than that of bacon or schmaltz.
Reply/Quote
The scheme change started around game 5 - since then we've rushed for a YPC of 4.25. Also, remember this is not a run first team, and that is going to affect rush totals. The way you get consistently good YPC is to run a lot and wear down a defense then pick up the yards later in the game. We don't tend to do that but rather use short passes a lot like runs in many situations.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 01:01 AM)Joelist Wrote: The scheme change started around game 5 - since then we've rushed for a YPC of 4.25. Also, remember this is not a run first team, and that is going to affect rush totals. The way you get consistently good YPC is to run a lot and wear down a defense then pick up the yards later in the game. We don't tend to do that but rather use short passes a lot like runs in many situations.

I said it earlier on here, a 7-yard pass to the TE, an 8-yard screen to Perine, or a 4-yard check down pass to Mixon is just as good as having rushing attempts making that kind of yardage. 

Exactly though, I want to see our YPC since we've done away with the zone-blocking scheme.  Also, this was a new O-line with a rookie thrown into the fire, so the first 5-games are irrelevant. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 12:07 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: bigdaddyfromcincinnati is 100% fredtoast

For the record, I am NOT Fredtoast. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 12:07 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: bigdaddyfromcincinnati is 100% fredtoast
DAMN IT!! I thought I was
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 01:12 AM)bfine32 Wrote: DAMN IT!! I thought I was

You are freaking me out with that mask, man...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 01:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You are freaking me out with that mask, man...

In all seriousness, where are you getting your stats?  I'd like to research our YPC since week 9, or if you could post them, it'd be much appreciated. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 01:34 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: In all seriousness, where are you getting your stats?  I'd like to research our YPC since week 9, or if you could post them, it'd be much appreciated. 

If you're talking about the YPC per RB and team that i posted a bit ago, i just got them from the stat page on ESPNs site. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt/dir/desc

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt/dir/desc

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 01:55 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If you're talking about the YPC per RB and team that i posted a bit ago, i just got them from the stat page on ESPNs site. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/player/_/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt/dir/desc

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/offense/stat/rushing/table/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt/dir/desc

Thanks!  What's amazing is that PFF and ESPN are reporting completely different pictures.  Maybe I made a bad investment in PFF's premium service. It's like trying to find our salary cap and two respected posters gave me two different references.  One said we had over $ 2 million, and the other said we barely have a little over $185k.

I still think we've had a good running game since the Carolina game. We have a new line with a rookie, and I think Perine changes our attitude in regards to being a "bust you in the mouth" kinda team.

Trayvon Williams needs more touches, b/c he's cut from the same mold as Perine as a physical downhill runner + according to PFF he's our best pass-blocking RB.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 01:34 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: In all seriousness, where are you getting your stats?  I'd like to research our YPC since week 9, or if you could post them, it'd be much appreciated. 

If you're looking for more specific, detailed stats, you can get them since you pay for PFF.

https://premium.pff.com/nfl/players/2022/REG/joe-mixon/11803/rushing

https://premium.pff.com/nfl/players/2022/REG/samaje-perine/11869/rushing

All RBs, sorted for at least 50% of max snaps.
https://premium.pff.com/nfl/positions/2022/REGPO/rushing?position=HB&minimum=50p

You will have to click on YPA to get them in order from best to worst.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 12:41 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I always thought it was a muskrat with a tire iron?
Tire iron ?
That'd totally wreck his manicure.

Reply/Quote
I'd like to see Ed Oliver's run stopping grades. He came into the league very light for a 3T. Overall they look to be a very good D against the run and in the red zone. Their 3rd and 4th down performance is about the only metric that doesn't look so hot for them. It'll be crucial to be efficient between the 20s. Coming away with 3 points consistently might be the key to this game.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals ran two slot seam routes to Trenton Irwin one for a touchdown the other a dropped touchdown. That's not a route I'm used to seeing from the Bengals...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 12:07 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: bigdaddyfromcincinnati is 100% fredtoast

(12-29-2022, 12:09 AM)Synric Wrote: Fredtoast would never link a PFF article.

(12-29-2022, 01:11 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: For the record, I am NOT Fredtoast. 

BigDaddy joined early last year. No way he’s FredToast. He’s not mentioned Marvin yet lol
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 01:01 AM)Joelist Wrote: The scheme change started around game 5 - since then we've rushed for a YPC of 4.25. Also, remember this is not a run first team, and that is going to affect rush totals. The way you get consistently good YPC is to run a lot and wear down a defense then pick up the yards later in the game. We don't tend to do that but rather use short passes a lot like runs in many situations.

You're wrong, but in a good way. You're including Burrows scrambles and the WR end arounds in that 4.25 number. Since week five, Cincinnati has averaged 4.58 yards per carry when they hand off to one of their backs. Now, the Carolina game is a major outlier and is really boosting those numbers up. Outside of the Carolina game, Cincinnati is averaging 4.14 yards per carry which is a much more indicative number of Cincinnati's abilities. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 01:20 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You are freaking me out with that mask, man...

Seriously. I'm just innocently scrolling down and then I see the avatar and I'm like, 'Oh, fred's back!" but then i see 'bfine' next to the picture and I'm like, "Oh, he's NOT back." (you get to pick which one is excited/happy and which one's disappointed)
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 02:58 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I say we go old school and run the ball down their throats until they can prove they can stop us.   I say this b/c the Bills' run defense is horrendous with a 49.2 PFF-Grade. A VERY POOR tackling team; with a PFF grade of an abysmal 32.7, they're terrible at defending the run. As a matter of fact, the BUFFALO BILLS are the VERY WORST tackling team in the entire league.  This is their Achilles' heel, and I say we exploit it with our backfield.

I feel we have a 3 headed monster at RB with Mixon, Perine, and Williams. I do wish Trayveon Williams would get more carries b/c this guy is a beast.  I say rush, rush, and run the ball some more until these 3-RBs legs fall off. If nothing else, you're throwing body blows into a good pass-rush/ coverage defense.  

Once they load the box, and they will, we have them on the ropes--then we let our passing game prevail.  

See the link below.
https://premium.pff.com/nfl/teams/2022/REGPO

Tiger

While I completely agree with tackling a team's weakness, for me it will all be about what alignment the Bills use to try and defend the Bengals.  If they sit back with two deep safeties, the run game will have to be leaned on.  Hopefully, we see the same energy from the rushing attack that we did for a small part of the season.  As the weather continues to turn, it will only become more important.  

I am just hoping for a balanced attack.  Joe is on absolute fire right now, and he should have had about 500 yards and 5 TDs at New England if not for some miscommunications and drops.  The ball won't be a brick Monday Night.  That should help.  

I think on defense a lot will come down to Logan Wilson and perhaps ADG spying Allen.  Force him to throw it and don't allow him to step up and run to move the chains.  That will be a huge key on defense.  
Reply/Quote