Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Game Strategy vs. Buffalo
(12-29-2022, 05:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sounds like Isiah Prince will be starting over Adeniji on Sunday. Burrow kind of spilled the beans today. 

Prince, Oh my.  I'm also a big Ohio State Buckeyes fan, and Prince played RT.  In pass blocking,  it seemed like he would lose his balance and leverage against good DEs.  It seemed like every time the Buckeyes took a big sack, Prince was involved.  I hope our line coaches have improved him from last year. 
Reply/Quote
Game plan.  Pound Mixon and throw deep... Buffalo is horrible against the run and deep ball..
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 03:37 PM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: Thanks for the links and for pointing me in the right direction.

There is a bit of irony here, you folks jump all over me for using PFF.com stats and tell me PFF.com isn't for "Jack Shit."  THEN, y'all turn around and point me right back to PFF.com  You folks are a tough crowd!   Hilarious  Who Dey

I wouldn't trust their "grades" as far as i could throw their building, but stats are stats and completely different than grades. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 05:19 PM)Synric Wrote: Next Gen Stats says to let Burrow sling it.

So, quick passes, intermediate passes and deep passes, Burrow has a noticable advantage. 

I guess as long as they don't spend all day throwing check downs, they'll be fine.  Hilarious

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
2.5, 3.0, 3.5 ... I would try it up by 22 in the 3rd q at 2nd and 2 any day.. Not continue throwing that results in a holding penalty, then a pick 6. Burrow is great, I certainly agree but why not play smart football? A little balance will help Joe not hurt him.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 05:45 PM)Tony Wrote: Game plan.  Pound Mixon and throw deep... Buffalo is horrible against the run and deep ball..

I think your favorite head coach has a great game plan.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
The problem with throwing too much is increased probability of sack, tipped pass, or INT. (See opening drive against TB)
I, too, would like to see a more balanced attack. Mixon and Perine aren't scrubs.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2022, 05:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Sounds like Isiah Prince will be starting over Adeniji on Sunday. Burrow kind of spilled the beans today. 

Really?  I hate that.  I don't think that guy has played at all.  If he starts, they better be ready to help him or pull him if he struggles.  
Reply/Quote
Yeah, throwing deep passes a lot will be predicated on the protection time, and Prince/Adeniji is playing, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Pound the rock, pound the rock. If Mixon isn't getting it done (dancing a bit too much) then slam Perine at them for a bit.

Buffalo's run defense is suspect, so make them pay and force their defense to cheat up for the run then take your few deep shots.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 02:17 PM)Bengal Billy Wrote: Yeah, throwing deep passes a lot will be predicated on the protection time, and Prince/Adeniji is playing, so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Pound the rock, pound the rock. If Mixon isn't getting it done (dancing a bit too much) then slam Perine at them for a bit.

Buffalo's run defense is suspect, so make them pay and force their defense to cheat up for the run then take your few deep shots.

I agree, if the Bills are going to rush 3 and drop into a deep umbrella zone or a Tampa cover 2 zone, then we make them pay for it using the run, under routes, and the TEs.   We can slow the rush down with the screen and mix in a few misdirection plays with Chase and Taylor, and then hit them deep with T-Higgs.  I look for us to get everyone involved in this one.  
Reply/Quote
I don't know enough about the Bengals to come up with a strategy, but off-the-cuff, i would say pick on whoever is covering Tee Higgins as I would imagine Tre White and some Safety help would be looking at Chase most of the game. Tre White isn't back to 100%, so you can keep the Bills honest.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 02:58 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I say we go old school and run the ball down their throats until they can prove they can stop us.   I say this b/c the Bills' run defense is horrendous with a 49.2 PFF-Grade. A VERY POOR tackling team; with a PFF grade of an abysmal 32.7, they're terrible at defending the run. As a matter of fact, the BUFFALO BILLS are the VERY WORST tackling team in the entire league.  This is their Achilles' heel, and I say we exploit it with our backfield.

I feel we have a 3 headed monster at RB with Mixon, Perine, and Williams. I do wish Trayveon Williams would get more carries b/c this guy is a beast.  I say rush, rush, and run the ball some more until these 3-RBs legs fall off. If nothing else, you're throwing body blows into a good pass-rush/ coverage defense.  

Once they load the box, and they will, we have them on the ropes--then we let our passing game prevail.  

See the link below.
https://premium.pff.com/nfl/teams/2022/REGPO

Tiger

I agree with that strategy Big Daddy. Need to run it tons in this game and use the Gap scheme while doing it. The Bills Secondary
is great at covering, that is their strength. We have some hard to tackle RB's and an OL that when playing physical can really impose
their will on Defense's in the run game. I know the Bills have had a high ranked Defense for years but every time I watch them play I
am very unimpressed with their tackling. Nothing like our Defense that is a very good tackling one.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 10:32 AM)Tomkat Wrote: The problem with throwing too much is increased probability of sack, tipped pass, or INT.  (See opening drive against TB)
I, too, would like to see a more balanced attack.  Mixon and Perine aren't scrubs.

You know it Tomkat. Those pass deflections are Burrow's weakness right now and we all know the Bills Defense will be looking
to deflect balls for interceptions all day long. Take away those chances for a bad play going the other way.

(12-30-2022, 03:59 PM)BillsGuy1986 Wrote: I don't know enough about the Bengals to come up with a strategy, but off-the-cuff, i would say pick on whoever is covering Tee Higgins as I would imagine Tre White and some Safety help would be looking at Chase most of the game. Tre White isn't back to 100%, so you can keep the Bills honest.

Thanks, didn't know White was banged up but damn near everybody is a bit this time of year. I think Ja'Marr Chase is pissed about
his wrong route and fumble in the Patriots game that resulted in 2 turnovers. He might be the guy to watch out for in this game more
than Tee honestly. Chase is the type when he does something poorly he makes up for it big time the next time he plays.
Reply/Quote
Since we have no defense strat thread, I will post this here.

Sam Hubbard said they are going to rotate to lower snap counts on some injured guys now and rotate more in the future. I love to hear this I remember our defensive line wearing teams down thru the first three quarters and going off in 4th because o-lines get winded. This will help develop the depth and help keep our starters stay healthy. With our longer extended season because of playoff games this should help a great deal since the playoffs should be something we go thru each and every year.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2022, 02:58 AM)BIGDADDYFROMCINCINNATI Wrote: I say we go old school and run the ball down their throats until they can prove they can stop us.   I say this b/c the Bills' run defense is horrendous with a 49.2 PFF-Grade. A VERY POOR tackling team; with a PFF grade of an abysmal 32.7, they're terrible at defending the run. As a matter of fact, the BUFFALO BILLS are the VERY WORST tackling team in the entire league.  This is their Achilles' heel, and I say we exploit it with our backfield.

I feel we have a 3 headed monster at RB with Mixon, Perine, and Williams. I do wish Trayveon Williams would get more carries b/c this guy is a beast.  I say rush, rush, and run the ball some more until these 3-RBs legs fall off. If nothing else, you're throwing body blows into a good pass-rush/ coverage defense.  

Once they load the box, and they will, we have them on the ropes--then we let our passing game prevail.  

See the link below.
https://premium.pff.com/nfl/teams/2022/REGPO

Tiger

Uhm.... I'd rather not waste the first half trying to do something that we are not the best at... It can work both ways, use run to open pass, OR use pass to open run.  We are better at passing, so that's the way we should play. Pass to open Run.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 07:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree with that strategy Big Daddy. Need to run it tons in this game and use the Gap scheme while doing it. The Bills Secondary
is great at covering, that is their strength. We have some hard to tackle RB's and an OL that when playing physical can really impose
their will on Defense's in the run game. I know the Bills have had a high ranked Defense for years but every time I watch them play I
am very unimpressed with their tackling. Nothing like our Defense that is a very good tackling one.

Paper stats...
Not saying they aren't good against the pass, but turnovers will make the biggest difference and TOP. Taking care of those two should lead to a close win.
Sometimes the best Defense is Offense. Keep Josh off the field and lower their chances of winning.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2022, 10:32 AM)Tomkat Wrote: The problem with throwing too much is increased probability of sack, tipped pass, or INT.  (See opening drive against TB)
I, too, would like to see a more balanced attack.  Mixon and Perine aren't scrubs.

Absolutely - We should at least pretend we want balance and run enough to keep the defense honest.  Especially if we have the lead.  If it isn't working, throw it.  Running 3 times and netting 10 yards IS WORKING. We do not need to throw 50 times to win.  Mix the run in and force the defense to respect the run.  That will slow the pass rush and OPEN better pass situations as well.

One dimensional football is not a good plan.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2022, 10:07 AM)M.W. Wrote: Absolutely - We should at least pretend we want balance and run enough to keep the defense honest.  Especially if we have the lead.  If it isn't working, throw it.  Running 3 times and netting 10 yards IS WORKING. We do not need to throw 50 times to win.  Mix the run in and force the defense to respect the run.  That will slow the pass rush and OPEN better pass situations as well.

One dimensional football is not a good plan.

Every fan would love a good running attack. But most games the Bengals have not had a good running game. They averaged 3 yards/run in the New England game with Perine averaging 0.8 yards/run.  Running the ball on the first two downs has resulted in too many thirds and long and the defense teeing off on Burrow passing on third down. Passing on early downs has been very effective. And the Bengals also use short passes to the side, which are virtually running plays that start away from the defensive line. 

running 3 times and netting 10 yards would be great, but if they run 3 times they inevitably end up with less than 10 yards and have to punt. Or 3rd and long and obvious passing situations when the pass rushers tee off on Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2022, 10:02 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Paper stats...
Not saying they aren't good against the pass, but turnovers will make the biggest difference and TOP. Taking care of those two should lead to a close win.
Sometimes the best Defense is Offense. Keep Josh off the field and lower their chances of winning.

And just how do you keep the ball outta Josh Allen’s hand and the Bengals allow their offense to be their best defense….? You do that with a strong ground attack By running the damn ball. I’ll also take the 7-yd pass to the TE, or a 5-yard check down any day of the week.
Reply/Quote
Bengals gotta deploy the same offensive strategy they used against KC.

Perine had 21 carries for over 5 ypc against KC. If Mixon isn’t getting the job done on the ground, they NEED to give Perine the ball.
Reply/Quote