Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Offensive Line 2024- Does It Need Fixing?
(01-16-2024, 01:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's been nearly 10 years of the same problem. I thought for sure this was fixed last year with the Orlando Brown signing. That gave us 3 starters from championship teams, plus a 1st round pick.

That should be enough talent for an o-line coach to work with.

There was 0 improvement. 50+ sacks and a bottom tier run game once again. I've run out of "we need more help" cards.

Pollack is starting to feel like LeBron James.

One of the biggest frustrations when it comes to Pollack is that the FO went out and also brought in his hand picked Asst. OL coach to help run with the pass block calls and that isn't working either. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 01:20 AM)casear2727 Wrote: Odunze is likely a very early  selection.  Brian Thomas Jr is a Tee replica except fast and athletic.  He is likely available at 18.  Some like him better than Coleman.  Either would be fine with me.

I can imagine Tee on one side, and Thomas/Coleman on the other, and Chase in the slot.  

Yeah, I have heard Odunze mostly in the top 10. I don't know much about Brian Thomas Jr? What college is he from again?

Must not of watched his team this last season.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 02:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, I have heard Odunze mostly in the top 10. I don't know much about Brian Thomas Jr? What college is he from again?

Must not of watched his team this last season.

LSU.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 02:40 PM)Whatever Wrote: LSU.

Thanks, didn't get to watch an LSU game this year no wonder I know nothing about Brian Thomas Jr.

Another LSU WR makes sense for us to pair with Ja'Marr.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 03:10 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks, didn't get to watch an LSU game this year no wonder I know nothing about Brian Thomas Jr.

Another LSU WR makes sense for us to pair with Ja'Marr.

He is very good. 

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 03:45 PM)casear2727 Wrote: He is very good. 

Wow, I don't know how I never heard about this guy until now. The size, speed, hands, route running, YAC is all there.

Haven't seen a much better highlight vid of a WR than this, wild. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 04:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, I don't know how I never heard about this guy until now. The size, speed, hands, route running, YAC is all there.

I've been against a wide receiver early because I thought Chase was enough and we don't need two first round receivers, but I'm starting to realize that Burrow would throw every play if he could and that would be our best line of attack.

I've always been the one saying that we need to establish the run but, while I still think the occasional run is necessary, give Burrow a second number one receiver and just let him smoke defenses.

Throw in the random run and screen to Mixon or Brown and just watch our offense put up insane numbers.

We still need to solidify our line though, so I wouldn't pick him over a guy that could significantly upgrade our line.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 04:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Wow, I don't know how I never heard about this guy until now. The size, speed, hands, route running, YAC is all there.

If the Bengals were looking for a comparable WR to replace Tee Higgins with, I think that Thomas is your man. 

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 05:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've been against a wide receiver early because I thought Chase was enough and we don't need two first round receivers, but I'm starting to realize that Burrow would throw every play if he could and that would be our best line of attack..

The best line of attack is to throw the ball more? Do we really want Burrow to throw more than he already does.  You dont think being able to run the ball more would be helpful?

(01-16-2024, 05:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've always been the one saying that we need to establish the run but, while I still think the occasional run is necessary, give Burrow a second number one receiver and just let him smoke defenses.

He has two #1's right now and while he occasionally he does smoke a defense,  many times he does a disappearing act even with two #1s.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 05:33 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I've been against a wide receiver early because I thought Chase was enough and we don't need two first round receivers, but I'm starting to realize that Burrow would throw every play if he could and that would be our best line of attack.

I've always been the one saying that we need to establish the run but, while I still think the occasional run is necessary, give Burrow a second number one receiver and just let him smoke defenses.

Throw in the random run and screen to Mixon or Brown and just watch our offense put up insane numbers.

We still need to solidify our line though, so I wouldn't pick him over a guy that could significantly upgrade our line.

Well if Tee is gone we will have to replace him as Boyd will probably be gone too. I don't think Iosivas is the answer even if I like the guy.

I think adding a new RT with upside like Eluemunor, Fant, Trent Brown along with a capable OL coach could get this OL back on track.

I do really like Fuaga though and would be more than fine with him at 18 to solidify RT for the future.

(01-16-2024, 06:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the Bengals were looking for a comparable WR to replace Tee Higgins with, I think that Thomas is your man. 

Sure looks like it. Looks a lot faster than Tee too.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 07:46 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The best line of attack is to throw the ball more? Do we really want Burrow to throw more than he already does.  You dont think being able to run the ball more would be helpful?
No, but I know that's how it sounds. 

What I'm saying is that giving Burrow (basically) number one receiver opposite of Chase would be far better than just the difference a back early would make over Chase Brown and I don't think it's close.
(01-16-2024, 07:46 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: He has two #1's right now and while he occasionally he does smoke a defense,  many times he does a disappearing act even with two #1s.

I think an improved and healthy line can give him the confidence to be who we all know he knows he can be.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 08:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No, but I know that's how it sounds. 

What I'm saying is that giving Burrow (basically) number one receiver opposite of Chase would be far better than just the difference a back early would make over Chase Brown and I don't think it's close.

I think an improved and healthy line can give him the confidence to be who we all know he knows he can be.

Plus Burrow learning to like playing under Center more should take the pressure off of him and the OL with an unpredictable Offense 
and a running game. I wouldn't mind adding another RB either, but I think I might rather do that in FA along with DT and RT of course.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 08:27 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: No, but I know that's how it sounds. 

I think an O line that would give him more time would certainly help.  The O line has not been good in years.  Im not sure we can do much at this point to improve it significantly though.  Getting rid of Pollack would be a start.  A stud RT would help too.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2024, 09:08 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think an O line that would give him more time would certainly help.  The O line has not been good in years.  Im not sure we can do much at this point to improve it significantly though.  Getting rid of Pollack would be a start.  A stud RT would help too.

Same thing I'm thinking but I'm hoping that we can get a good offensive line coach in here to get the most out of our guys and try to improve areas of weakness.

Maybe I'm still overestimating him in wanting to sell out to let him be a star but what's the other option? Keep things the way they are and settle for never getting over the hump? 

I'd rather take the chance.
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 03:20 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I mean what are you going to do?

Cappa, Karras, Orlando, and Volson most likely aren't going anywhere. They are all decent players who were invested in as free agents.

You can draft or sign a guy to play RT, but chances are they won't be as good as Jonah (at least year 1 anyway).

The only other option is to somehow change the scheme or fire Pollack - both of which look like they aren't going to happen.

I wouldn't bank on it improving much.

The real issue is the depth is ass too. All of our starters played pretty much all season, thank God. That's rare and next year will be even worse if and when our depth is tested.

We keep bringing in "quality" players but not getting much better...

Need a new coach
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:40 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: We keep bringing in "quality" players but not getting much better...

Need a new coach

Or, perhaps our current coaching staff needs to adjust some of their preseason practice philosophies, when it comes to OL?  I understand that Zac likes to keep the wear and tear low, in an effort to reduce injuries and for players to reach their peak late in the season, but OL is just a bit different.  OL needs to operate as an orchestrated unit, like five fingers of the same hand.  The way that coordinated precision improves is through mass amounts of repetitions together.  Getting to know exactly how each of your linemates comes off the ball, knowing exactly at which moment a pulling player will be moving behind you on a trap play, etc.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2024, 04:16 PM)Whatever Wrote: Because the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Joe took us to the SB with a trash OL.  In the two years since, we've focused on upgrading the OL and watched the RB's, TE's, and WR's get worse.  We've watched the team get worse right along with those positions.  We've regressed. There has been absolutely zero correlation between OL upgrades and the team winning more football games.  Fantasy land where Joe Burrow can just stand back there untouched for 4 seconds every down and make the latest 7th round scrub/Golden Binns winner look like Jerry Rice doesn't exist.  

Three out of our 5 starting OL are at least solid.  Volson sucks.  Williams sucks and is an UFA.  Do we need to replace Jonah?  Yes.  Should we replace him with a better player or a draft pick with the potential to be better? Yes.  Should we sell out to make wholesale OL changes again to the detriment of other positions?  No.

And S(safety's), CB's and P(punter). 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Or, perhaps our current coaching staff needs to adjust some of their preseason practice philosophies, when it comes to OL?  I understand that Zac likes to keep the wear and tear low, in an effort to reduce injuries and for players to reach their peak late in the season, but OL is just a bit different.  OL needs to operate as an orchestrated unit, like five fingers of the same hand.  The way that coordinated precision improves is through mass amounts of repetitions together.  Getting to know exactly how each of your linemates comes off the ball, knowing exactly at which moment a pulling player will be moving behind you on a trap play, etc.

Never thought about it that deeply but it makes sense.

I know it's like that with quarterbacks and receivers because they need to be as one with their routes, timing, breaks, and ball placements, but it definitely makes sense about the line too.

It also adds to the theory that offensive linemen are the smartest football group on the field.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 04:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Or, perhaps our current coaching staff needs to adjust some of their preseason practice philosophies, when it comes to OL?  I understand that Zac likes to keep the wear and tear low, in an effort to reduce injuries and for players to reach their peak late in the season, but OL is just a bit different.  OL needs to operate as an orchestrated unit, like five fingers of the same hand.  The way that coordinated precision improves is through mass amounts of repetitions together.  Getting to know exactly how each of your linemates comes off the ball, knowing exactly at which moment a pulling player will be moving behind you on a trap play, etc.

New coach might fix that too if the current one wont due whats needed to have players ready to play Game 1
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2024, 05:51 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: New coach might fix that too if the current one wont due whats needed to have players ready to play Game 1

You may be missing the point of what I was saying, I'm not sure that it's the OL coach that dictates how much the OL gets to practice..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote