Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
I'd like to believe the "low ball offer" was 14 million per year, which is what his predicted market was and only sounds like a low ball after we hear that KC offered him 16M per year, which makes him the highest paid interior Lineman (centers, left guards and right guards) in the entre NFL with the exception of Brandon Scherff who is on his second consecutive franchise tag.

But, honestly, after the whole Whitworth debacle, I'm just ready to assume "low ball" means like they offered him 9 million AAV or something.
(03-15-2021, 06:58 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is a bit of a gray area.
Per a report from July 28, 2020, Warford was offered by multiple teams.
Instead, he decided to opt out of the 2020 season rather than sign with a team.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29554086/free-agent-guard-larry-warford-opts-2020-season

Yeah, he wasn't on a team. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-15-2021, 06:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 3, actually.

Thuney to Chiefs
Linsley to Chargers
Zeitler to Ravens

Free agency is a two way street.  It starts with a team making an offer and a player accepting that offer.  As much as I root for the Bengals lets face it, Cinci is probably not number one of many top free agent's list due to the Bengals history, reputation and current status as being at the bottom of the AFCN.   So it probably takes a lot more money for the Bengals to sign top free agents.  It isn't like free agents are forced to accept the first offer they get. 

If you had a choice to play for the Bengals or Chiefs and the money was similar what team would you choose?  I know it sucks rooting for a team that players may not want to play for.  I'm not making excuses for the Bengals organization and how often it is poorly run. But it is what it is.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
(03-15-2021, 06:59 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: Let ya ALL in on a little secret.....MOST NFL contracts are ridiculous! Just seems like some teams can get ridiculous deals done and some...well...you know....I mean look at Dallas...Look at Zeke's contract, look what Dak just got paid, yet just heard on the NFL network today that Dallas STILL has between 18-20 million to spend in FA this year. HOW!?!

I think I know the answer to this in an article I read on restructuring contracts in KC. https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-patrick-mahomes-travis-kelce-chris-jones-restructure-contracts

I don't care if the Brown family has to spend extra money or overpay for talent. I want to watch good football players. Bengals should have given Thuney a top dollar offer (before anyone posts, "How do you know they didn't?", check yourself).
(03-15-2021, 07:02 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Free agency is a two way street.  It starts with a team making an offer and a player accepting that offer.  As much as I root for the Bengals lets face it, Cinci is probably not at the top of many top free agent's list due to their history, reputation and current status as being at the bottom of the AFCN.   So it probably takes a lot more money for the Bengals to sign top free agents.  It isn't like free agents are forced to accept the first offer they get. 

If you had a choice to play for the Bengals or Chiefs and the money was similar what team would you choose?  I know it sucks rooting for a team that players may not want to play for.  But it is what it is.

Thuney is from the area and already won 2 Super Bowls.

There was a ton of evidence out there that he was really interested in coming here, so yes if the Bengals offer had been the same I think he would have been happy to play close to his family.

After that signing other FA's see you are seriously making the needed changes and they start thinking about jumping on-board. You have to be committed to winning, not committed to making money... and that is where the Bengals always fail.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

It really feels like typical Bungles....

Last year they actually open the checkbook. Then they get hit by freak injuries. As a result they go back into their lethargic shell and let all the actual high performing free agents at THE need position go. This is shades of the Antonio Bryant fiasco - they take a chance; doesn't work out; get scared and go back to being WAY too passive...
What the **** are we doing?
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
(03-15-2021, 07:08 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What the **** are we doing?

Saving money to roll over for Burrow's extension in a few years.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(03-15-2021, 07:01 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, he wasn't on a team. 

Correct, but he could have been. He chose to opt out instead of play.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(03-15-2021, 07:11 PM)pally Wrote:
This would be a great move. Watched alot of Saints games living down here, and Hendrickson finally get regular reps and played extremely well. Just hope it wasn't the product of playing opposite an All Pro.
(03-15-2021, 07:11 PM)pally Wrote:

I like it. PK and Millz love this guy and think he makes the Browns complete
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-15-2021, 07:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Thuney is from the area and already won 2 Super Bowls.

There was a ton of evidence out there that he was really interested in coming here, so yes if the Bengals offer had been the same I think he would have been happy to play close to his family.

After that signing other FA's see you are seriously making the needed changes and they start thinking about jumping on-board. You have to be committed to winning, not committed to making money... and that is where the Bengals always fail.

Rumors.  Again if the offers were the same Chiefs that are at the top of their game with a Super Bowl winning head coach and QB or Bengals at the bottom with a head coach many claim has no clue and is in over his head?

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
OP is supposedly a fan of this team?
Read on bleacher that Bengals trying to resign Lawson and Trey Hendrickson is thier"back up" plan
Bad messaging there ...why not say they are pursuing both? Saw Browns are intersted too....guess who likely wins?
I already questioned it in the other thread but even the statement “low balled” is relative. It’s supposedly coming from a sister and not an agent, so what do they know in context. Is 13 per year a low ball? Is 10? 16 reset the market for guard so relative to that a top 5 deal could have been considered a “low ball” offer.
I hear people say..."Bengals are going to have to overpay"....or......"That guy was NEVER going to come here anyway!" I say..."How many years are we going to hear this tripe?" Who dug the franchise into this hole to begin with? Are we ever going to get out of this rut? Bengals money not as good as KC's? We spent some money last year, but didn't get any of the top Oline FA last year either. Bummer.

I guess were just a third rate ran franchise that should expect lower expectations?

[Image: DuBDNUXU4AUuUJG.jpg]
(03-15-2021, 07:14 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Rumors.  Again if the offers were the same Chiefs that are at the top of their game with a Super Bowl winning head coach or Bengals at the bottom with a head coach many claim has no clue and is in over his head?

If you have already won 2 Super Bowls and want to be close to your family, then you probably aren't worried about the head coach. 

I took a job that paid less then another to move back to Cincinnati because I wanted to be near my family. It's actually kind of common. Read the reports of WJIII looking at signing with the Texans, because he wants to go back to Houston... comfort in your surroundings is a big deal.

So... again, it was not rumors it was written about widely that Thuney liked the idea of being close to his family and back home. There was a great opportunity and we wasted it and the only people who don't seem to get that are Mike Brown defenders.

Hendrickson will use the Bengals as leverage to get a better contract elsewhere and while he does that, Lawson will sign elsewhere.

Roll that cap space over.