Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-15-2021, 06:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What we really need is:

A thread for discussion of Bengals only free agent signings or re-signings...once they start happening.

There's various other threads to talk about who we didn't get and none really belong in JN.

This is a fun & exciting proposal. But there’s a very real chance the first thread never populates.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-15-2021, 06:13 PM)J24 Wrote: Don't be surprised if the Bengals make a trade for a veteran player. WFT and Patriots have attractive players.
5th to 14th for Stephan Gilmore
5th to 19th for Brandon Scherif, or Montez Sweat, or Johnathan Allen

Would you trade a top 5 pick for one year of Scherff? He’d never re-sign with us.

(03-15-2021, 06:13 PM)J24 Wrote: Don't be surprised if the Bengals make a trade for a veteran player. WFT and Patriots have attractive players.
5th to 14th for Stephan Gilmore
5th to 19th for Brandon Scherif, or Montez Sweat, or Johnathan Allen

I'd be beyond surprised if they did anything that resembled a competent thought about improving the O-line.

Right now, they are sitting there thinking to themselves, no worries we will get our guy in the draft and watch some team jump them to take Sewell.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(03-15-2021, 06:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: So, the girl in that pic talking to that guy is blonde... Joe Thuney's sis is SUPER SUPER red head and not skinny like that chick. I've met her, like 15 times. That pic is NOT his sis.

I call BS on this guy.

What gave it away......Him starting with "I really wasn't wrong".

I agree it sounds like a troll job but good for Thuney getting paid.

My dudes are still out there...Trent Williams, Larry Warford, Trai Turner, Mike Schwartz 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-15-2021, 05:54 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: This team had a local guy interested in being here and all they had to do was show up with a legit offer... and boom... he's gone.

I call BS.

Give me your source on the claim that Thuney would have taken less money to play with the Bengals.

No one with a brain believes that Thuney would have played here for less than a Super Bowl team offered.
(03-15-2021, 06:16 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Would you trade a top 5 pick for one year of Scherff? He’d never re-sign with us.

I would flip 5 for 19 but no I would trade 5 for Schreff. The only guy I would do that for is Chase Young!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Good Luck Burrows' kneecaps!
(03-15-2021, 06:15 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: This is a fun & exciting proposal. But there’s a very real chance the first thread never populates.

It literally has to. I've been around many FA season and it starts the same on here every season. 

(03-15-2021, 06:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I call BS.

Give me your source on the claim that Thuney would have taken less money to play with the Bengals.

No one with a brain believes that Thuney would have played here for less than a Super Bowl team offered.

The offer the Chiefs made was a legit offer and should have been matched.

This team has tons of ***** cap room and a huge hole at Guard and a chance to bring in an All-Pro to protect the franchise you just got injured by not addressing it.

I don't care how much they have to over pay... you get the best guys out there to protect Burrow and then fill in with the draft.

(03-15-2021, 06:14 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yup.

The team wasn't ready for the franchise QB yet... and by the time we actually build a team around him, he'll either be like Luck or he'll be due a contract extension and want out of town and use the Palmer method. 

If nothing, this free agent period shows the Carson was right in what he did to Mike Brown. Was promised changes (like all the stuff that was being put out about the O-line will be a focus and upgraded) and surprise, surprise, the Brown family idea of an upgrade is a lot different then the intelligent idea of an upgrade.

Sure, 59 is better then 57 as a grade, but they both still suck, but Bengal logic... hey we did an upgrade... see... look at that...

Well, the Chargers weren’t ready for a franchise QB either (their OL is almost as bad as ours) but they’re actively working to fix that. I still think taking Burrow was a no brainer, but after that waiting until the 6th round to go OL was a terrible decision.

(03-15-2021, 06:13 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I can picture Burrow’s face watching the FA unfold.....like finding out Santa doesn’t exist.

Burrow is not some irrational drama queen.

He is not going to freak out just a few hours into free agency.  He will wait until it plays out.

He might still be upset then, but knows there are still other good players out there that could help this team a lot.
(03-15-2021, 05:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If Sewell is gone I’m now completely 100% for trading back. We need at least 3 players on the OL alone.

Not sure you can make that gamble at this point.  If you trade back to far, you'll miss out on one of the top 2.  I don't think that's a great idea.
(03-15-2021, 06:19 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The offer the Chiefs made was a legit offer and should have been matched.

This team has tons of ***** cap room and a huge hole at Guard and a chance to bring in an All-Pro to protect the franchise you just got injured by not addressing it.

I don't care how much they have to over pay... you get the best guys out there to protect Burrow and then fill in with the draft.

You honestly think that the Bengals were just one player away from being good and that Thuney was the ONLY player that could help us?

Hilarious
(03-15-2021, 06:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It literally has to. I've been around many FA season and it starts the same on here every season. 

Do you aim to convey some sort of anger at the fans who see the dark clouds? Or are you asserting that we don’t exercise enough patience?

I’d love to be a cockeyed optimist, but I’ve been through it with this franchise enough to know the gloom and doom is always justified.

May not be a lot of fun, but no one affiliated with this franchise ever promised fun. We’re a sacred group of flatulent morons who see the plane’s headed into the mountain range but dammit, it takes too much effort to jump.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

(03-15-2021, 06:24 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not sure you can make that gamble at this point.  If you trade back to far, you'll miss out on one of the top 2.  I don't think that's a great idea.

I don’t really want Slater anyway. Trade back and land Darrisaw, Cosmi, etc. plus another 2nd to use on Leatherwood, Humphrey, etc.

But I agree I don’t want to drop back too far.

New here, but here are some of my thoughts.

Joe Thuney got 16 million per year, 48 guaranteed. That is a MASSIVE offer. Just because we 'low balled him doesn't mean it was an awful offer. Just much lower than the offer he got. We probably offered 14 per year with 32 guaranteed or something like that.

Also, personally my MAIN priority coming in was to resign Carl Lawson. That is still in the process of happening and that is a huge step if we can get it done. I've read some peoples thoughts on here about Carl and Will being average players and I literally had to laugh out loud. Carl is 26 years old and isn't even at his peak. He is going to command around 15 million per year. Personally, I'd let Will walk because he's getting older. Try to sign someone like Troy Hill or Ronald Darby.

Yes, we missed on Thuney. He is an elite Offensive guard. However, we have MULTIPLE holes across the oline and we have to remember that we started the WORST guard combo in the NFL last year. We just need upgrades over them to get us to average. An average Oline goes a long way. We don't need to be paying market setters to have a workable Oline where Joe doesn't get hurt.

As of now, there is no reason to panic as we still have multiple avenues to take and different options on the table. If we lose Carl that will be a HUGE domino and will severely hurt us.
(03-15-2021, 06:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You honestly think that the Bengals were just one player away from being good and that Thuney was the ONLY player that could help us?

Hilarious

Jesus... sometimes I read your stuff and think, hey Fred is starting to get it, then you post 100% absolute troll crap like this and I remember why you get suspended so often.

What part of over-pay to fix the O-line... that means overpay for 3 or 4 guys to fix the line, and then use the draft, 7 picks sounds like one players away to you??

That looks like... 7 + 4 = 11

And that is just to be a non-crap team and protect Burrow for a season. The defense would still suck and you'd need another season, but you have to keep Burrow alive till you can draft enough good players.

But hey... let's pull an Indy and just pray our trash like Jordan and Redman improve while we sign another XSF

(03-15-2021, 06:25 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Do you aim to convey some sort of anger at the fans who see the dark clouds? Or are you asserting that we don’t exercise enough patience?

I’d love to be a cockeyed optimist, but I’ve been through it with this franchise enough to know the gloom and doom is always justified.

May not be a lot of fun, but no one affiliated with this franchise ever promised fun. We’re a sacred group of flatulent morons who see the plane’s headed into the mountain range but dammit, it takes too much effort to jump.

I'd just like to have a thread to discuss actual Bengal signings when they happen and information on those signings. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's other thread to bytch about what we haven't done 5 hours into the process. But perhaps I should check. Let me hit the back arrow and see if I see anything about Thuney

(03-15-2021, 06:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I'd just like to have a thread to discuss actual Bengal signings when they happen and information on those signings. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there's other thread to bytch about what we haven't done 5 hours into the process. But perhaps I should check. Let me hit the back arrow and see if I see anything about Thuney

Here you go:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Brandon-Allen-Re-signed

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-CB-Jalen-Davis-1-year-extension

Exciting stuff.

We're going to need at least 1 free agent center or guard. At the absolute very least.

If we have to draft for interior o-lineman, you better take them in the 2nd/3rd round to make sure these guys have a higher % of panning out.