Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
***Official Bengals Free Agency Thread***
(03-16-2021, 04:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I thought i read somewhere, that's what the team's sentiment was. Fix Oline through FA and get some toys in the draft. 

Well...

I've seen both that they plan on adding an offensive weapon at 5 and that they're locked in on Sewell.  I think people are just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-16-2021, 03:55 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Wonder what the numbers are?

(03-16-2021, 04:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote:  

Damn, that's a pretty good deal if I say so myself.
[Image: 442477217_947289567407463_69894548258261...e=6657196A]

So with the second CB signing the Bengals are pretty much back to where they were in 2020, right? Lost a DE and two CBs, added a DE and two CBs. More or less lateral moves.

Would like to see the team actually improve now and protect the damn QB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(03-16-2021, 01:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would say Hendrickson also creates pressure.. he started playing more in 2019 and not starting much of the year, he had more sacks with limited snaps than Lawson and pressures were ok.. last year he had both sacks and pressures with the amount of snaps...

I see no problem signing him especially with back issue of Lawson and Hendrickson seems to be stronger at point of attack which adds to his game

Unfortunately, your opinion does mesh with the facts of numbers. 

On total snaps, Hendrickson creates a pressure every 13.6 snaps, Lawson every 10.2 snaps, for their careers.
On just pass rush snaps alone, Hendrickson creates a pressure every 9.0 snaps, Lawson every 6.9

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(03-16-2021, 11:36 AM)Au165 Wrote: I believe it is probably what we talked about in another thread. I think they overestimated their cap against that of the rest of the league and when it became clear they were not in the financially dominant position they thought they were they got caught in no man's land. 

When I kept hearing/reading about teams across the league restructuring players contracts, in an attempt to get under/create cap space, I had a feeling that the Bengals were going to miss out on the cream of the OL crop.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-16-2021, 04:13 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Hendrickson - 26 years old
Awuzie - 25 years old (26 in May)
Hilton - 27 years old

Awuzie and Hilton should really strengthen the back end...and hopefully help the guys up front. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(03-16-2021, 04:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When I kept hearing/reading about teams across the league restructuring players contracts, in an attempt to get under/create cap space, I had a feeling that the Bengals were going to miss out on the cream of the OL crop.

Honestly, they have done pretty well at this point, at least compared to a lot of teams. Maybe not where we wanted but they have gotten solid players.
(03-16-2021, 04:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: I've seen both that they plan on adding an offensive weapon at 5 and that they're locked in on Sewell.  I think people are just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

Yeah its hard to say what we will do, but I think if Sewell is there he would be hard to pass up. The good thing is OL is deep in this draft, so even if we go for a playmaker in the 1st, there will be plenty of quality OLmen left. I was hoping for at least one of the OLmen that are already off the market in FA and we definitely tried to bring back Zietler, but he didnt sign here. So now we have to look at more second tier guys and the draft. Spain and XFS were both upgrades over Michael Jordan, Alex Redmond and Fred Johnson as a G though. We just didnt have those two guys for a lot of the season. Even with them as the starting OG's, Williams with another year under his belt, and Sewel, I think we will look better than we did most of last season at OL. But one injury could mess things up, so we need some second tier FA's and 2-3 OLmen in the draft imo. 
(03-16-2021, 04:14 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: At this point, I really want to see them just sign one new body for the offensive line.

Can they make a signing and just sort of acknowledge, "Hey we know the line sucks and we are going to bring in new people."

Seriously, get someone and show the fans you aren't completely clueless to the biggest weakness on the team.

If they could just get Reiter that would change my outlook from "ASSHOLES!!!!", to "ohhhh, lookin pretty good!". 

And add Golladay and i might just jizz my pants. 

John Ross just signed with the Giants... Good luck stay healthy.
Gotta remember that the Bengals also have Trae Waynes joining the secondary along with DJ Reader and Josh Toupo joing the Dline next year. Defense should make a nice jump in 2021. Go get one guard in FA and were all set for the draft.
(03-16-2021, 04:51 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Awuzie and Hilton should really strengthen the back end...and hopefully help the guys up front. 

Yeah, this secondary isn't too shabby:

SS Vonn Bell
FS Jessie Bates
CB Trae Waynes
CB Chidobe Awuzie
Slot Mike Hilton
(03-16-2021, 04:39 PM)Whatever Wrote: I've seen both that they plan on adding an offensive weapon at 5 and that they're locked in on Sewell.  I think people are just throwing shit against the wall to see what sticks.

It's getting to a point where they're not going to have an option.

Though, being 'forced' to take Sewell isn't really a bad thing. I'd still like to see Reiter in here and let Hopkins and all the other guys fight it out for the G spots. 

(03-16-2021, 04:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Damn, that's a pretty good deal if I say so myself.

At some point they've got to pony up for 1 big ticket item though. 

(03-16-2021, 04:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: Honestly, they have done pretty well at this point, at least compared to a lot of teams. Maybe not where we wanted but they have gotten solid players.

I agree, a premier pass rusher and a pair of CBs that fit perfectly into our defensive scheme, really takes some pressure off of the draft.  Would like to see them pick up an OL and a WR to further take the emphasis of the draft from being so need centric.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-16-2021, 04:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: ..and then we fool everyone by taking SurtainII

Sheesh! I hope not man! (unless they get something done upfront prior...  Cool )

"Better send those refunds..."

(03-16-2021, 05:01 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: At some point they've got to pony up for 1 big ticket item though. 

Trent Williams or WR is really the only remaining big ticket items.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

A lot of people calling these moves lateral. They could be. Just spit balling here, but maybe part of the plan is to purge the system of "Marvin's guys"?

In some ways that makes sense, but in some ways it doesn't. Because "Marvin's guys" are also "Duke's guys".
(03-16-2021, 04:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah, this secondary isn't too shabby:

SS Vonn Bell
FS Jessie Bates
CB Trae Waynes
CB Chidobe Awuzie
Slot Mike Hilton

They should be able to get Alexander back at a reasonable price.