Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officially Signed: Sheldon Rankins
(03-18-2024, 11:55 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Anyone else listen to the press conference?

Dude does not lack confidence...that is for damn sure lol

He also made it sound like he's going to be a direct replacement for Reader which I found interesting...

That’s the plan.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 02:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Rankins will replace Reader

I see where you're coming from, and the depth chart aggress with you, but I don't 100% agree with the concept from the sense of snap count.

DJ Reader was out there on downs he probably shouldn't have been, but the Bengals had no better option in those situations. I mean, who were they going to put out there over Reader? Even on obvious passing downs, who? Cam Sample? Zach Carter? No way. Maybe Murphy towards the end of the season, but I don't know if they had confidence in that. That would have been interesting, though.

I think Rankins, if healthy, allows the Bengals more situational flexibility at either DT spot. I'm not looking at Rankins as a "Reader replacement" because I think the defense is changing how it wants to function. Just not so sure that from a situational defense perspective we'll see a prominent NT role.

I will note...

This draft is SCREAMING for a 2 (or even 3) DT draft. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th round will have incredibly high value guys there. They can get some premium talent to replace Carter, Tufele, & Davis.

If they came away from this draft with 3 O-linemen, 3 D-Linemen, 1 TE (or any mix of those positions) & a splash of whatever the hell else I would be excited because that means they went for where the talent is in this draft. And, frankly, it should be easy for any rookies to come onto the Bengals roster at those positions and supplant the dead weight hanging around.

- Hill, Smith, Carman, & The INVISBLE MAN at RT on the O Line? Absolute BUMS. No thought at all to replace them all.

- Tufele, Carter, Davis at DT? Easy to bounce off the roster.

- I would love to see 2 TEs drafted this draft, too. Gesicki & Hudson on 1 year deals? Easy choice to grab 2 TEs in a loaded TE draft class.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I see where you're coming from, and the depth chart aggress with you, but I don't 100% agree with the concept from the sense of snap count.

DJ Reader was out there on downs he probably shouldn't have been, but the Bengals had no better option in those situations. I mean, who were they going to put out there over Reader? Even on obvious passing downs, who? Cam Sample? Zach Carter? No way. Maybe Murphy towards the end of the season, but I don't know if they had confidence in that. That would have been interesting, though.

I think Rankins, if healthy, allows the Bengals more situational flexibility at either DT spot. I'm not looking at Rankins as a "Reader replacement" because I think the defense is changing how it wants to function. Just not so sure that from a situational defense perspective we'll see a prominent NT role.

I will note...

This draft is SCREAMING for a 2 (or even 3) DT draft. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th round will have incredibly high value guys there. They can get some premium talent to replace Carter, Tufele, & Davis.

If they came away from this draft with 3 O-linemen, 3 D-Linemen, 1 TE (or any mix of those positions) & a splash of whatever the hell else I would be excited because that means they went for where the talent is in this draft. And, frankly, it should be easy for any rookies to come onto the Bengals roster at those positions and supplant the dead weight hanging around.

- Hill, Smith, Carman, & The INVISBLE MAN at RT on the O Line? Absolute BUMS. No thought at all to replace them all.

- I would love to see 2 TEs drafted this draft, too. Gesicki & Hudson on 1 year deals? Easy choice to grab 2 TEs in a loaded TE draft class.

I think they are done at TE but wouldn’t pass up on someone who fell to them. Rankins is replacing Reader. They may bring someone in the get snaps or is a run stuffer situationally. But Rankins will get the vast majority of Readers snaps.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: I see where you're coming from, and the depth chart aggress with you, but I don't 100% agree with the concept from the sense of snap count.

I will note...

I think they know they much have to flip the room completely and are well on their way. 

The question to me is, do you sign another free agenct (Tart) or rely on the draft in either the first two rounds to fill out the actual rotation? They CANNOT go into the year with the roster as is, and rely on even an early draft pick to account for STARTING rotational player snaps. 

They need to replace the DEPTH (Tufele, Tupuo) with draft picks and bring in another proven quality starter to play a long with Hill and Rankins. 

Think of the room of the Super Bowl team. It had Hill, Ogobjubi, and Reader. THAT was a solid rotation. Three solid players rotating. We have missed that the past two years and I dont want to rely on a draft pick to bring that back. 

I don't want to live in a world where a guy like Tupuo is getting rotational snaps. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:10 PM)PDub80 Wrote: This draft is SCREAMING for a 2 (or even 3) DT draft. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th round will have incredibly high value guys there. They can get some premium talent to replace Carter, Tufele, & Davis.

It is very possible.  You need a NT.  Even if you do sign Tart you would still want a backup and someone you can rotate at that NT position like Sweat.  BJ Hill is in the last year of his contract so you may want someone on the roster you can groom to take over the position next year.  It would not surprise me at all if they took 2 DTs.  I could also easily see 2 or 3 offensive linemen drafted. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 02:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe on pass rushing downs/situations but there was a reason we still hosted Tart and we are still looking at NT's in the draft from what I have been told by someone who is close to another NFL team. I do think it is likely Rankins starts and Hill plays more of a back up to him though at the 3T.

Agree as usual. Honestly BJ Hill is more likely to replace Reader than Rankins. BJ is bigger and a better run stopper.

Rankins is a better pass rusher than BJ. Both are considered 3-techs, but Rankins is more of one in my opinion. BJ Hill is more of a hybrid.

In between a NT and a 3-tech even if he has played 3-tech for us the entire time.

We will still have to get a true NT no question, that is why they looked at Tart and still might sign him.
Reply/Quote
They didn’t bring in Rankins for 13 million to split time with anybody. Doesn’t mean they don’t draft someone as a rotational piece like Murphy

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:24 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: It is very possible.  You need a NT.  Even if you do sign Tart you would still want a backup and someone you can rotate at that NT position like Sweat.  BJ Hill is in the last year of his contract so you may want someone on the roster you can groom to take over the position next year.  It would not surprise me at all if they took 2 DTs.  I could also easily see 2 or 3 offensive linemen drafted. 

I agree!
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:33 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They didn’t bring in Rankins for 13 million to split time with anybody. Doesn’t mean they don’t draft someone as a rotational piece like Murphy

Who said he is splitting time with anybody? Rankins is the starting pass rushing 3-tech now, that is what they brought him in for.

Reader was our Nose Tackle and never played that many snaps, some are acting like he played more snaps than BJ Hill over the last 
few years which is simply not the case. Murphy is a Defensive End not a Defensive Tackle.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:24 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think they are done at TE but wouldn’t pass up on someone who fell to them. Rankins is replacing Reader. They may bring someone in the get snaps or is a run stuffer situationally. But Rankins will get the vast majority of Readers snaps.

- I agree and see that Rankins will take on Reader's snaps & place on the depth chart. I just think the role of DJ Reader - Big Body run stuffer, hold up point of attack guy - will be done by someone other than Rankins. I think you & I are discussing 2 different things, but in the same way. I see your perspective and agree with it.

- 2/3rds of the TEs on the roster are on 1 year deals. This draft is loaded. I think they would be CRAZY to not grab 1 or even 2 in an effort to find stability & a long term high end weapon. Something to think about there, too, is that a high end TE is a lot cheaper to pay than a high end wide receiver. They aren't even on the same planet $ wise.

I also think 2 to 3 DTs & 2 to 3 O Linemen make sense this specific draft. It's just time to change the bath water there on the guys behind the starters. I just realized Cam Sample is listed as a DE. I hadn't realized that.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who said he is splitting time with anybody? Rankins is the starting pass rushing 3-tech now, that is what they brought him in for.

Reader was our Nose Tackle and never played that many snaps, some are acting like he played more snaps than BJ Hill over the last 
few years which is simply not the case. Murphy is a Defensive End not a Defensive Tackle.

I was referring how Murphy is a rotational piece at DE and not a starter. And yes Reaser when healthy got the majority of snaps at DT. Again Rankins is taking Readers spot, He will start next to B J. He will replace Reader and get his snaps.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Who said he is splitting time with anybody? Rankins is the starting pass rushing 3-tech now, that is what they brought him in for.

So where does that leave BJ Hill (last years starter) and his 10 million dollar contract? The bench? 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I was referring how Murphy is a rotational piece at DE and not a starter. And yes Reaser when healthy got the majority of snaps at DT. Again Rankins is taking Readers spot, He will start next to B J. He will replace Reader and get his snaps.

Rankins doesn't play Readers position. Rankins is a 3T, not a nose tackle. Why do you think the Bengals are currently trying to sign Tart (a nose tackle)? 

Rankins and Reader play different positions, this has been talked about a length. The DL is a rotational unit. You need more than BJ Hill and Rankins. You need another quality player that is going to share in the rotation with those guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 04:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Rankins doesn't play Readers position. Rankins is a 3T, not a nose tackle. Why do you think the Bengals are currently trying to sign Tart (a nose tackle)? 

Rankins and Reader play different positions, this has been talked about a length. The DL is a rotational unit. You need more than BJ Hill and Rankins. You need another quality player that is going to share in the rotation with those guys.

Bj hill played nose at times with reader out, they are still DT and with 4 man front depends on shifts and stunts there is at times no true NT, I've seen reader line up as a 3T, not saying we could not use a bit more running stopper signed also but to act like neither Rankin or BJ can't play NT is not accurate. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 04:04 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Rankins doesn't play Readers position. Rankins is a 3T, not a nose tackle. Why do you think the Bengals are currently trying to sign Tart (a nose tackle)? 

Rankins doesnt play Reader's position but he will take Reader's starting spot on the defensive line next to BJ Hill.  They will in all likelihood have Hill take over the Reader role since he is better suited to do so than Rankins.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 04:24 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Rankins doesnt play Reader's position but he will take Reader's starting spot on the defensive line next to BJ Hill.  They will in all likelihood have Hill take over the Reader role since he is better suited to do so than Rankins.

I really don't like banking on Hill playing NT but he will play plenty of snaps in the rotation and they'll both be out there on passing downs.  I wonder though if they could get him closer to 320 if that helps, but he had to play in a rotation before so I'm not sure this is the best use for BJ even if it's our best plan if we had to start the season tmrw with only this roster. 
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 04:02 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: So where does that leave BJ Hill (last years starter) and his 10 million dollar contract? The bench? 

Nope, he is starting right next to Rankins. The thing about BJ Hill is he is a good run stopper and a good pass rusher. Versatile.

But we do need a NT to come in on running downs next to BJ instead of Rankins who is not a good run stopper.

But Rankins is the guy you want in there on passing downs over BJ.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 02:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Rankins will replace Reader

Pretty sure this was NOT the original plan, but may very well be the case now.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:58 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I was referring how Murphy is a rotational piece at DE and not a starter. And yes Reaser when healthy got the majority of snaps at DT. Again Rankins is taking Readers spot, He will start next to B J. He will replace Reader and get his snaps.

TLL has the numbers on Reader's snaps, he shown them many times, he didn't have near as many snaps as BJ Hill.

Agree that Rankins is starting next to BJ Hill, but BJ is more of a NT than Rankins is, Rankins is not a Nose Tackle at all. Pure 3-tech.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 04:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: TLL has the numbers on Reader's snaps, he shown them many times, he didn't have near as many snaps as BJ Hill.

Agree that Rankins is starting next to BJ Hill, but BJ is more of a NT than Rankins is, Rankins is not a Nose Tackle at all. Pure 3-tech.

I watched Rankins introductory interview earlier today. He's a personable dude. Speaks his mind freely..lol. He was ask about his 3 game sack against us last year and said he was disappointed because he should have had 5 or 6. Talked about beating Cappa and Ted like a drum  Hilarious

Maybe he can give our o-line some pointers  Ninja
Reply/Quote