Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officially Signed: Sheldon Rankins
(03-18-2024, 04:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Pretty sure this was NOT the original plan, but may very well be the case now.

There are two biggins in the draft for certain, and maybe 2 other possibilities. The Texas kid will be sought after by NT/DT needy teams.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:11 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: There are two biggins in the draft for certain, and maybe 2 other possibilities. The Texas kid will be sought after by NT/DT needy teams.

He’ll be gone at 49
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 04:39 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Pretty sure this was NOT the original plan, but may very well be the case now.

Don’t know what their original plan but I was told extremely deadpanned Sooner “ Rankins and BJ are your starters”
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t know what their original plan but I was told extremely deadpanned Sooner “ Rankins and BJ are your starters”

As has been said in this thread, starters is relative on the DL. Not uncommon for a starting DT to only play around 50% of snaps. Rotation is key.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:27 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: As has been said in this thread, starters is relative on the DL. Not uncommon for a starting DT to only play around 50% of snaps. Rotation is key.

That’s a given. You have to rotate on the entire DL. My point was Rankin will start in place of Reader whether Hill moves over or not but I don’t think that’s the plan.

Reply/Quote
If you're thinking of Sweat remember he showed up at combine WAY out of shape and way overweight - he may slide a good distance as the conditioning concerns could scare teams off.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:42 PM)Joelist Wrote: If you're thinking of Sweat remember he showed up at combine WAY out of shape and way overweight - he may slide a good distance as the conditioning concerns could scare teams off.

Thought I heard the opposite, think he was 366 pounds but some thought he would be more like 380.

And he did well on the drills for such a monster.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 03:33 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They didn’t bring in Rankins for 13 million to split time with anybody. Doesn’t mean they don’t draft someone as a rotational piece like Murphy

I can see us playing more 5T so you can play Rankins and Hill along with a rookie NT. They have all talked about how he can rush from the edge which doesn't seem to be a coincidence. This would get all 3 on the field and then you play Hendrickson as your overhang and rotate Murphy and Hubbard in for different looks. I think we will be multiple but we will still get a NT to play on running downs in base looks, we are still doing a TON of work on the top NT's in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:08 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: I watched Rankins introductory interview earlier today. He's a personable dude. Speaks his mind freely..lol. He was ask about his 3 game sack against us last year and said he was disappointed because he should have had 5 or 6. Talked about beating Cappa and Ted like a drum  Hilarious

Maybe he can give our o-line some pointers  Ninja

Sounds like a fun guy we added. Will have to watch the interview, thanks Coach. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:48 PM)Au165 Wrote: I can see us playing more 5T so you can play Rankins and Hill along with a rookie NT. They have all talked about how he can rush from the edge which doesn't seem to be a coincidence. This would get all 3 on the field and then you play Hendrickson as your overhang and rotate Murphy and Hubbard in for different looks. I think we will be multiple but we will still get a NT to play on running downs in base looks, we are still doing a TON of work on the top NT's in the draft.

That’s certainly possible. But as I believe Caesar said Rankins may not have been the original plan. May not have. My comments were mostly directed at they aren’t going to bring a NT to start. The DT’s are Rankins and Hill. Everybody seemed convinced Rankins was not Reader’s replacement. Well you can semantic it to death but he is. Whether Hill and him switch or they draft a bigger body. Like you said and I said they could bring in someone as a rotational piece like Murphy is at DE.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’ll be gone at 49

I really want the Bengals to work out a trade with the Cardinals.
Trade 18 and 49 for 27 and 35.

Bengals could get something like Guyton and Sweat with those picks, locking up RT and NT.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 06:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s certainly possible. But as I believe Caesar said Rankins may not have been the original plan. May not have. My comments were mostly directed at they aren’t going to bring a NT to start. The DT’s are Rankins and Hill. Everybody seemed convinced Rankins was not Reader’s replacement. Well you can semantic it to death but he is. Whether Hill and him switch or they draft a bigger body. Like you said and I said they could bring in someone as a rotational piece like Murphy is at DE.

Didn't Hill play some NT a couple years ago when Reader was injured, making it Ogunjobi and Hill next to each other for a time?
Or did I just manifest that in my head?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 08:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Didn't Hill play some NT a couple years ago when Reader was injured, making it Ogunjobi and Hill next to each other for a time?
Or did I just manifest that in my head?

I can’t remember but we’ll see

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 08:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I really want the Bengals to work out a trade with the Cardinals.

Bengals could get something like Guyton and Sweat with those picks, locking up RT and NT.

Well I saw Sweat in OU/Tx 4 years not a fan.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Don’t know what their original plan but I was told extremely deadpanned Sooner “ Rankins and BJ are your starters”

It certainly is now. 

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 06:34 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: That’s certainly possible. But as I believe Caesar said Rankins may not have been the original plan. May not have. My comments were mostly directed at they aren’t going to bring a NT to start. The DT’s are Rankins and Hill. Everybody seemed convinced Rankins was not Reader’s replacement. Well you can semantic it to death but he is. Whether Hill and him switch or they draft a bigger body. Like you said and I said they could bring in someone as a rotational piece like Murphy is at DE.

Rankins was always a target, losing DJ or not having a NT altogether was not.  Benglas made an offer to DJ, possibly 2, neither was close. 

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 05:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: He’ll be gone at 49

(03-18-2024, 08:26 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I really want the Bengals to work out a trade with the Cardinals.

(03-18-2024, 08:53 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well I saw Sweat in OU/Tx 4 years not a fan.

We will see how early Sweat goes. I wont be sad if we do not get him, I think his snap count could be very limited. Im also not as big on Guyton, especially if we do not sign a quality bridge guy. I would be shocked if they took Guyton over Latham or Mims.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 09:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Rankins was always a target, losing DJ or not having a NT altogether was not.  Benglas made an offer to DJ, possibly 2, neither was close. 

Reader signed for 13.62 million per year with only 9 million guaranteed over the two year contract.  The Lions didnt even guarantee a full season in that contract.  They guaranteed 2/3 of one season.  There is no reason the Bengals couldnt have done that.  Now they are in need of a run stopping NT in the hardest division in football with very few options.  Royal screw up by the front office handling that one.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 09:12 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We will see how early Sweat goes. I wont be sad if we do not get him, I think his snap count could be very limited. Im also not as big on Guyton, especially if we do not sign a quality bridge guy. I would be shocked if they took Guyton over Latham or Mims.

Nobody was at Guyton’s pro day that could evaluate him. I don’t get the idea they are interested. He may turn out to be great but his upside is as great as his downside.. We’ve got to get this right

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2024, 09:09 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Rankins was always a target, losing DJ or not having a NT altogether was not.  Benglas made an offer to DJ, possibly 2, neither was close. 

I was disappointed they didn’t retain Reader. He was worth some overpay. They could have done like Detroit hedge on the guarantee. His locker room character and immovable presence was worth it. But I’m not surprised. I’ve said on several threads a couple of weeks ago I’d traded Tee and Browning and moved up in both the first two rounds.

Reply/Quote