Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Officially picking 9th in the 2017 NFL Draft
(01-02-2017, 02:25 AM)Mbfine32 Wrote: Stop, just stop

While I'm also in the minority, I also think Cook will be the superior NFL back to Fournette.  Better speed, better acceleration, better short area quicks, better passing game chops, etc.  Cook has the size to hold up as more than a c.o.p back, but would also be lethal as a 1-2 punch with another back.  Fournette is more of a 70's through 90's bell cow, or basically this year's Derrick Henry.  While Founette's still an exceptional talent, I still think that Cook will be the better fit in today's NFL.  The only red flag are the shoulder injuries.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 03:13 AM)TKUHL Wrote: I think some are forgetting how bad our Lines are. I dont think Dak and Elliot would be near as good behind this line. As much as i want a top wr or rb it wont matter with this line. I think Core can take LaFells place and Boyd will be fine. I would like the RB Foreman at some point after we address both lines. I think Hill showed us his rookie season was a fluke last season. Im sure Foreman will be gone though. Then we need some serious help with our LBers,S and more than likely TE. I never thought i would say this having the #9 pick but I hope we trade back for more picks, maybe the late teens then go DE,OL,LB,DT
I would go wr c lb DE we do not need a dt I will change that if butt falls to third though but if Williams is not there I would love to trade back
(01-02-2017, 03:22 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: While I'm also in the minority, I also think Cook will be the superior NFL back to Fournette.  Better speed, better acceleration, better short area quicks, better passing game chops, etc.  Cook has the size to hold up as more than a c.o.p back, but would also be lethal as a 1-2 punch with another back.  Fournette is more of a 70's through 90's bell cow, or basically this year's Derrick Henry.  While Founette's still an exceptional talent, I still think that Cook will be the better fit in today's NFL.  The only red flag are the shoulder injuries.
I wouldn't take fournette period. His ankles are made of glass and having weak ankles as a rb in the afc north is a recipe for disaster
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 01:15 AM)milksheikh Wrote: We need more athleticism in the LB corps, Jabrill Peppers is ranked the #3 player according to http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings and could be a nice OLB/S Hybrid for us.

If he's their BPA and he comes around I'm all for it...provided they have a plan to use him.  I don't know where his best fit is, but I've wondered if a team could collect enough talent with theses NLB/S types that they could do something special.  Maybe Williams/Peppers/Iloka roaming the middle out there with Burfict (minus a LB) behind a strong front 4 (2nd round DE?) could turn into a base the same way the nickle has basically in terms of reps.  You still have Smith out there for depth, and could go traditional at any time with true LBs.  Just a thought that if enough teams hold a natural fit against Peppers, Marvin has been known to move guys around (Pollack, Moch, MJ, Hall, etc...) so it could be a fit.  I do think Peppers could struggle in zone if made to play natural safety, so it would truly have to be a change of philosophy that they've been wanting to make.   
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 01:46 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Show me a play where he caught a ball and held on in tight coverage or went up over someone and came down with it. I'll wait.

Not the point. You said the only way he catch's the ball if he's wide open. Well, he did his job if he's wide open. Right? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 09:23 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Not the point. You said the only way he catch's the ball if he's wide open. Well, he did his job if he's wide open. Right? 

due to busted coverage? I'm sorry if ur a number 2 I expect u to not disappear for 3  quarters of the game Jones never disappeared he always was there catching balls and so was sanu. Same was our 4th option and he still showed up more than laffell does for 3 out of every 4 quarters. Nah if Williams is there u take him gives u the best receiving core 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 09:30 PM)MC Howley Wrote: With the Cardinals win over the Rams and the Panthers loss to the Bucs this week... Our draft position has been locked in...

10th - Arizona Cardinals
9th - Cincinnati Bengals
8th - Carolina Panthers
7th - San Diego Chargers
6th - New York Jets
5th - Los Angeles Rams (pick traded to Tennessee)
4th - Chicago Bears
3rd - Jacksonville Jaguars
2nd - San Francisco 49ers
1st - Cleveland Browns

Who do you want us to draft he most?

All depends on which free agents we re-sign and how the draft prospects are evaluated and what happens ahead of us in the draft.

I'd like to see a top flight pass rusher or line backer selected at this spot. Pass rusher preferred. Hunt is not starter caliber, but I see Mikey bringing him back cheap. Clarke might make an ok starter (4 sacks this year in the rotation), but he'll never be a top flight guy.

However, we could go for a top LT should one be available at #9 and Mikey low balls Whit causing him to go elsewhere or if they gives up on Oggiebuggie boy.

RB would be the wrong pick at #9. There's no Zek in this upcoming draft and our OL is weak.

Reply/Quote
What about defensive tackle we were gashed in the run game all year. Peko needs to go
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 01:18 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Peppers is terrible.

Have you looked at his numbers?

70+ tackles, 4 sacks and 1 INT.

That's decent for a LB/S, go look at his highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJB4a1jNem4
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
I really want a DE to pair opposite of Dunlap and the Dline in general needs to get younger. Barnett seems to be the perfect fit, but with his height "only" 6'3, will that scare the Bengals off? They seem to like taller DEs.

I'm down for a pick on either line or a WR. I don't think WR is a pressing need, but if you want elite play out of Dalton, you have to surround him with elite talent. I'm fully Team Dalton, but a difference maker at WR will never be a bad pick. Andy's not a guy who is going to elevate the play of those around him but those around him will certainly elevate his play.

But at some point, the team has to start getting younger on the defensive front. I think Billings and Hardinson will help as role players, but need a difference maker to pair with Dunlap and Geno.
Reply/Quote
One of the most important attributes of whomever they take at #9 will be if they can play right away. You can't redshirt a guy this high. I'd rather take a slightly lower graded DE or WR than take a LT (if one ends up rating that high) and then sitting him for a year behind Whit. The Bengals have to start building in the opportunity cost of players into the total value of the pick. Dre K eventually came on, but sitting for two years is wasted value for a guy on his first contract. You have to get production out of guys while they are cheap.
Reply/Quote
I agree the team needs edge rushers; however, nobody really makes sense at 9 unless Garrett or Allen fall. For edge a pure rusher like Lawson, R. Anderson, McKinley make more sense in the 2nd. Gimme a player that has the potential to be a generational player.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 10:06 PM)RagnarLothbrok Wrote: I feel timid about anyone from Alabama in all honesty. A lot of them are a product of their system. There are a few who are just all around great players and translate to the NFL very well, but I get nervous about Alabama players. Give me UGA players all day :) Love me some UGA.

Bama's defensive players have changed a little over the last few years.  They used to be just bigger and stronger than everyone else.  Now they are a little smaller and faster.

Still have to worry about some players looking better just because they are surrounded by other elite players, but speed transfers better to the NFL than size and strength everywhere except on the lines.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 09:32 AM)Jpoore Wrote: due to busted coverage? I'm sorry if ur a number 2 I expect u to not disappear for 3  quarters of the game Jones never disappeared he always was there catching balls and so was sanu. Same was our 4th option and he still showed up more than laffell does for 3 out of every 4 quarters. Nah if Williams is there u take him gives u the best receiving core 

Bullshit. To me, that's what Marv Jones was known for. Disappearing. I've never seen a dude have so many 2 catch 12 yard type of games, and he's been the same way in Detroit.

I actually agree with you on Williams, but not because LaFell disappears or only catches "wide open passes", which is also BS. Our WRs (including AJ) are rarely wide open. They have to work for what little separation they get.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2017, 11:21 PM)eoxyod Wrote: It has a relatively easy fix. Re-sign Whit and Zeitler and draft a C which you don't use a 1st round pick on. Even if Zeitler isn't re-signed it isn't the worst job to find a vet guard that can start. Bengals have too much investment in OL right now, even though one of those investments is terrible. Whit-Boling-rookie-FA/Zeitler-Fisher is good enough and invest in 3rd and 4th rounds.

The best plan is to draft the shit out of pass rushers. It works for the Chiefs, Broncos, and Giants, and we don't have a playmaking defensive player. We desperately need speed on defense seeing as we have none. Fix many problems at once

This.  

I almost guarantee that the Bengals will re-sign both Whit and Zeitler.  I also think either Fisher or Ogbuehi will earn the RT spot.  No need to use a first round pick on an OC.

Draft pass rush.  That is a "first round" position.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 12:12 AM)Jpoore Wrote: I think Barnett is gonna be a bust he only did good due to favorable match-up 

WTF?

Possibly the single most impressive thing about Barnett is the fact that he got most of his sacks against top competition.

South Car (3 games)....7 sacks (8 TFL)
Florida (3 games)........4 (6 TFL)
Georgia (3 games).......3 (4.5 TFL)
Alabama (3 games)......2 (4.5 TFL, a FF and an int)
MIssissippi...................2  (4 TFL) in '14 when they were a top 25 team
Texas A&M..................1
Oklahoma....................1
Nebraska.....................1 *bowl game*
Northwestern...............1 (FF) *bowl game*
Reply/Quote
-You never use a #9 pick on a WR who is not going to be your #1 WR.

-The value of LBs is reduced in 4-3 schemes, so the only way you take a LB at #9 is if he is a total game changer.

-Peppers will be the biggest bust in the draft unless he goes to a team that schemes for his skill set and has talent around him.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 01:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I agree the team needs edge rushers; however, nobody really makes sense at 9 unless Garrett or Allen fall. For edge a pure rusher like Lawson, R. Anderson, McKinley make more sense in the 2nd. Gimme a player that has the potential to be a generational player.

In just three seasons Derek Barnett broke Reggie Whites Tennessee school record for sacks.

He is also the only player in SEC history with 3 seasons of at least 10 sacks.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 09:32 AM)Jpoore Wrote: due to busted coverage? I'm sorry if ur a number 2 I expect u to not disappear for 3  quarters of the game Jones never disappeared he always was there catching balls and so was sanu. Same was our 4th option and he still showed up more than laffell does for 3 out of every 4 quarters. Nah if Williams is there u take him gives u the best receiving core 

Sorry to say this but do you even watch football.   And what the heck are you talking about.    Jones is far more inconsistent than Lafell ever has been.  Jones had one good year here in 4 years.   I doubted Lafell but the guy was money this year.   Not great but very solid.   And you saying Barnett will be a bust? Based on what.    He just broke Reggie White sack record at Tennessee in 3 years.    He's going to be a good one.  Only negative is he will probably only be 602 and you know the idiot Bengals will find that to short.     
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: -You never use a #9 pick on a WR who is not going to be your #1 WR.

-The value of LBs is reduced in 4-3 schemes, so the only way you take a LB at #9 is if he is a total game changer.

-Peppers will be the biggest bust in the draft unless he goes to a team that schemes for his skill set and has talent around him.

- why?

- is there not one? (I don't really pay attention to college)

-why do people like him so much then?
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: -You never use a #9 pick on a WR who is not going to be your #1 WR.

But Mike Williams would eventually be our #1 WR considering AJ is 29.  Mellow

In the overlapping years, we'd have one badass duo at WR.

You only want Barnett because he's a Tennessee guy.  Ninja
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote