Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Officially picking 9th in the 2017 NFL Draft
(01-02-2017, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF?

Possibly the single most impressive thing about Barnett is the fact that he got most of his sacks against top competition.

South Car (3 games)....7 sacks (8 TFL)
Florida (3 games)........4 (6 TFL)
Georgia (3 games).......3 (4.5 TFL)
Alabama (3 games)......2 (4.5 TFL, a FF and an int)
MIssissippi...................2  (4 TFL) in '14 when they were a top 25 team
Texas A&M..................1
Oklahoma....................1
Nebraska.....................1 *bowl game*
Northwestern...............1 (FF) *bowl game*

I agree 100%.  Barnett has been the most consistent productive pass rusher in the draft.  We would be fools to pass on him.  
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: But Mike Williams would eventually be our #1 WR considering AJ is 29.  Mellow

In the overlapping years, we'd have one badass duo at WR.

You only want Barnett because he's a Tennessee guy.  Ninja

I watched A LOT of Tennessee this year (CBS had them on for 3 weeks straight and 4 of 5) and 5 guys stood out consistently, game to game:

Dobbs
Kamara
Hurd
Malone
Barnett

There were also good performances from other players, but all of these guys appear to be on the right track for NFL greatness (Hurd is a different story, obviously).

- Kamara has another year
- Dobbs is out this year and we don't need QB
- Malone is awesome but, Tennessee WRs have been up and down in the past decade, in the NFL (and I think he has another year, not sure)

That leaves Barnett. And he also happens to be at a position that we need and is "slotted," in a draft slot that we're picking.

Its a complete no-brainer.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 02:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You only want Barnett because he's a Tennessee guy.  Ninja

I see the ninja, but guys familiar with the draft forum know that I have called out some UT players as overrated (Ju'Wuan James, Robert Ayers, Turk McBride).  And every time Albert Haynesworth was a free agent I was the only guy saying we should stay away from him.

Of course I also said Cordarrelle Patterson would be an All-Pro WR.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 01:09 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: What about defensive tackle we were gashed in the run game all year. Peko needs to go

Hopefully Billings is that guy. Fingers crossed.

Reply/Quote
Well now that Hooker has announced, my choice has changed
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
If Cam Robinson Mike Williams Barnett Cook and Foster we're all there at number 9 in the draft it would be a tough decision.  As much as this team needs OT  I don't think it would draft Robinson.  It would mean that team failed in draftng Fisher and OG.  I don't see the Bengals drafting running back high in the draft So Cook would be out.  So my line of thinking it would come down to Foster at linebacker Barnett at right defensive end and Mike Williams as wide receiver. I am leaning towards Mike Williams.  Draft another tight end in the top four rounds.

It would be scary for NFL defensive coordinators to game plan against Mike Williams AJ Green Boyd and Tyler eifert.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 08:45 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Cam Robinson Mike Williams Barnett Cook and Foster we're all there at number 9 in the draft it would be a tough decision.  As much as this team needs OT  I don't think it would draft Robinson.  It would mean that team failed in draftng Fisher and OG.  I don't see the Bengals drafting running back high in the draft So Cook would be out.  So my line of thinking it would come down to Foster at linebacker Barnett at right defensive end and Mike Williams as wide receiver. I am leaning towards Mike Williams.  Draft another tight end in the top four rounds.

It would be scary for NFL defensive coordinators to game plan against Mike Williams AJ Green Boyd and Tyler eifert.

I dont see how we could pass on Cam Robinson. Our #1 weakness was OL. Cam is as pro ready as they come from the best program in ncaaf with plenty of big game experience. 

He looks like Tyron Smith to me. 

I love Whit. But the great teams dont hang on to aging players until its too late. And Whit seems hell bent on getting a big pay day. If we hand out big money to an OL this year it should be the younger entering his prime Zeitler.

I dont like giving up on draft picks too early. But Ogbuehi gave me no reason to have hope. He gave up two sacks and then talked about how he thought he had a good game. Plays way too soft and passive for my liking.

Fisher showed promise. And at least he plays with some of the nastiness necessary to be a good NFL OL.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 01:09 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: What about defensive tackle we were gashed in the run game all year. Peko needs to go
That's what Billings is for but I hope we sign peko for one more year let him retire a Bengal.
(01-02-2017, 01:17 PM)milksheikh Wrote: 70+ tackles, 4 sacks and 1 INT.

That's decent for a LB/S, go look at his highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJB4a1jNem4
1 int for his college career and that was on a tipped pass against osu. If ur picking him as safety u want a bunch of picks. Sorry but if I'm picking a safety give me a mix of ed Reed and Eric berry in Malik hooker all day.

(01-02-2017, 01:39 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I really want a DE to pair opposite of Dunlap and the Dline in general needs to get younger. Barnett seems to be the perfect fit, but with his height "only" 6'3, will that scare the Bengals off? They seem to like taller DEs.

I'm down for a pick on either line or a WR. I don't think WR is a pressing need, but if you want elite play out of Dalton, you have to surround him with elite talent. I'm fully Team Dalton, but a difference maker at WR will never be a bad pick. Andy's not a guy who is going to elevate the play of those around him but those around him will certainly elevate his play.

But at some point, the team has to start getting younger on the defensive front. I think Billings and Hardinson will help as role players, but need a difference maker to pair with Dunlap and Geno.
Demarcus Walker out of fsu is 6"4/6"5 and had more sacks and tackles than Barnett and in all the mock games I've played u can get him late 3rd early 4th. So get Williams in first elflien in second Walker in third.
(01-02-2017, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: WTF?

Possibly the single most impressive thing about Barnett is the fact that he got most of his sacks against top competition.

South Car (3 games)....7 sacks (8 TFL)
Florida (3 games)........4 (6 TFL)
Georgia (3 games).......3 (4.5 TFL)
Alabama (3 games)......2 (4.5 TFL, a FF and an int)
MIssissippi...................2  (4 TFL) in '14 when they were a top 25 team
Texas A&M..................1
Oklahoma....................1
Nebraska.....................1 *bowl game*
Northwestern...............1 (FF) *bowl game*
He only had 56 tackles on the year. I think he is gonna be a bust relative to number 9 pick. I prefer demarcus walker better sacks and better tackles and they don't move him all over the place for better match-up like they do with Barnett.
(01-02-2017, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: -You never use a #9 pick on a WR who is not going to be your #1 WR.

-The value of LBs is reduced in 4-3 schemes, so the only way you take a LB at #9 is if he is a total game changer.

-Peppers will be the biggest bust in the draft unless he goes to a team that schemes for his skill set and has talent around him.
By the time Williams needs resigned green will be 34 if green resigns with us in 2020.
(01-02-2017, 02:30 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Sorry to say this but do you even watch football.   And what the heck are you talking about.    Jones is far more inconsistent than Lafell ever has been.  Jones had one good year here in 4 years.   I doubted Lafell but the guy was money this year.   Not great but very solid.   And you saying Barnett will be a bust? Based on what.    He just broke Reggie White sack record at Tennessee in 3 years.    He's going to be a good one.  Only negative is he will probably only be 602 and you know the idiot Bengals will find that to short.     
I don't take offense ur stating ur mind Jones only played here 2 years due to ankle injurys so he was here 4 he played his rookie season and his last season.so he wasn't consistent his rookie season like all rookies and was great his last season. So in the 1 year where he wasn't a rookie he played amazing. And Barnett being a bust relative to the position at number 9 he was picked. hes not gonna be a world beater. Walker is better more sacks and more tackles and didn't move him all over the line to put him in favorable match-up and we can get him in the third. He's also 6"4/6"5 so Bengals will pick him more than likely so probably goes something like 3rd Walker fsu 2nd elflien osu 1st Williams Clemson.
(01-02-2017, 02:50 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I watched A LOT of Tennessee this year (CBS had them on for 3 weeks straight and 4 of 5) and 5 guys stood out consistently, game to game:

Dobbs
Kamara
Hurd
Malone
Barnett

There were also good performances from other players, but all of these guys appear to be on the right track for NFL greatness (Hurd is a different story, obviously).

- Kamara has another year
- Dobbs is out this year and we don't need QB
- Malone is awesome but, Tennessee WRs have been up and down in the past decade, in the NFL (and I think he has another year, not sure)

That leaves Barnett. And he also happens to be at a position that we need and is "slotted," in a draft slot that we're picking.

Its a complete no-brainer.
Prefer walker to Barnett better stats and didn't move him to be put in favorable match-up we can get Walker in 3rd would take Williams in 1st
(01-02-2017, 08:45 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Cam Robinson Mike Williams Barnett Cook and Foster we're all there at number 9 in the draft it would be a tough decision.  As much as this team needs OT  I don't think it would draft Robinson.  It would mean that team failed in draftng Fisher and OG.  I don't see the Bengals drafting running back high in the draft So Cook would be out.  So my line of thinking it would come down to Foster at linebacker Barnett at right defensive end and Mike Williams as wide receiver. I am leaning towards Mike Williams.  Draft another tight end in the top four rounds.

Could not agree more I like a draft of Williams elflien Walker and butt if he falls to 4th can u imagine butt eifert and Boyd in the middle with 2 legit number 1 receivers on the outside?
Reply/Quote
Hooker coming out causes me pause.
He is one of those players that can impact games day in and day out. The problem is they just signed Williams to a long-term contract so I think they pass on hooker
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 09:48 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Prefer walker to Barnett better stats and didn't move him to be put in favorable match-up we can get Walker in 3rd would take Williams in 1st

Can you stop posting this crap?

What coach in their right mind would NOT exploit matchups like that? Do you thing that everything has to be done according to you?

"Oh, he does really well against this tackle, so instead of putting him there to take advantage, let's put him at a less favourable matchup, so that Jpoore can continue to hate on the guy."

Stupid friggin' narrative, so drop it.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 10:39 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Hooker coming out causes me pause.
He is one of those players that can impact games day in and day out.  The problem is they just signed Williams to a long-term contract so I think they pass on hooker

He's a mix of Reed and berry but he's a legit fs Williams is a ss so if they feel that Williams can't convert to fs they may take hooker I'm between hooker and Williams. Either one won't get a complaint from me.
Reply/Quote
My early and personal list for #9 based on who I think will be available and what we could use before Free Agency starts is...

1. Rueben Foster - Pair this guy with Burfict and you have a LB corp comparable to Carolina with Davis and Kuechly. This guy is not the typical ILB that Bama has had the past several years where they are more suited for 2 down run stuffing (Mauluaga types) but instead he is an athletic guy that can cover, get to the QB when asked, and a tackling machine more similar to a Kuechly or Burfict with great insticts.

2. Cam Robinson - A lot of people question his character but to me he is still the #1 OT in the draft talent wise and a player that we could really use to shore up the line. We may end up having to move Ogbuehi or Fisher inside to Guard if Zeitler leaves and even if we re-sign Whit, how many years does he have left? Adding the #1 OT talent while you have a top 10 makes a ton of sense to me.

3. Mike Williams - I understand the argument for not taking a WR with the way Lafell, Boyd, and Core played toward the end of the year but with AJ and Eifert starting to compile quite a few injuries over the last few years I think it would be wise to take a guy with Williams talent if he is BPA at this point. Pair him with Green and Boyd and I think the Offense could get back to rolling like last year when Sanu, Jones, and Green were all making plays regardless of what we do to shore up the line.

4. Malik Hooker - This is my personal pick here and not necessarily what I could see the Bengals doing. They don't pay Shawn Williams the money they gave him and then turn right around and replace him with a top 10 pick. However, Malik the Freak is going to be an All Pro really soon in his career and I would be ecstatic if the coaches had the balls to take the best talent at pick #9 (if available) and not worry about Mike Brown's wallet.

5. Dalvin Cook - This kid is special. Hill isn't getting it done and we should move on. If they want to keep him for goal line for one more season then fine but don't lose Burkhead (which is likely) and also pass on a talented RB you like early just because Hill is on a cheap contract. Gio is a good #2 RB but he has a tendency to get injured so adding another RB in one of the first few rounds should absolutely be an option.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2017, 10:50 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Can you stop posting this crap?

What coach in their right mind would NOT exploit matchups like that? Do you thing that everything has to be done according to you?

"Oh, he does really well against this tackle, so instead of putting him there to take advantage, let's put him at a less favourable matchup, so that Jpoore can continue to hate on the guy."

Stupid friggin' narrative, so drop it.

It has nothing to do with me hating on him it has to do with how it translates to the NFL. U think our coaches are going to move him all around the line for better match-up? Hell no he'll play against the best LTS in the game. O hey sorry Carlos we think Barnett will be better going up against the RT so u Gotta move to the LT that's not happening. That is my point. If he can't do it ainst guys like Joe Thomas and other elite LTS and such he won't be a world beater in this league and that's who we need at 9.
Reply/Quote