Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Officiating crew is done
I'm sure others have seen this come across the bottom line, but ESPN is reporting the officiating group from last night will not be assigned to any more post season games.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Probably because of the one thing they got right.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Referee Jerome Boger and the crew that worked the AFC wild-card game between the Las Vegas Raiders and Cincinnati Bengals are not expected to officiate again this postseason after their problematic performance Saturday highlighted by a controversial whistle.

The NFL grades officials after each game, and Boger and his crew are not expected to receive high marks for Saturday, when they ruled that a whistle occurred after Cincinnati's Tyler Boyd caught a touchdown from Joe Burrow -- although replays appeared to show otherwise.

The league usually takes officials assigned to the divisional round -- not the wild-card round -- to work the Super Bowl. But officials that earn high grades this weekend could and would be under consideration for the Super Bowl
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Probably because of the one thing they got right.

They were really bad regardless of that call. 
Reply/Quote
Lmao this is what the league always does. Something goes wrong, the game ends, then rule changes or punishments are handed out after the fact.

How about get it right before things have a chance to go bad
Reply/Quote
One of these days. the NFL will decide to hire refs full-time, rather than having officials who have other jobs. OTOH, that hasn't exactly paid dividends for MLB.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:14 PM)TheFan Wrote: They were really bad regardless of that call. 

Yup.  And that seems to ALWAYS be the case with Jerome Boger's crews.  I know that this unit was not his regular crew (which baffles me that they split crews up that have worked together for 18 weeks); but the same crap happens with them as well.

I don't know what kind of pictures Jerome has that keeps him being a referee, because he is always terrible at that job.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:14 PM)TheFan Wrote: They were really bad regardless of that call. 

Absolutely
Reply/Quote

Oh I agree, but that’s what everyone will translate it to meaning, and they can whine until they are blue in the face. Bengals are playing next weekend.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I'm confused, was the bad call when Burrow was in the air and threw it for a TD, but he was out of bounds but never touched?

Or was it a different play?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Probably because of the one thing they got right.

I see a handful of national media people complaining about not replaying the down.
Yes, technically the rule would be to replay the down if there's a preemptive whistle, but the whistle shouldn't have been blown in the first place.
The call on the field to award the TD was the correct call.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:24 PM)magikod Wrote: I'm confused, was the bad call when Burrow was in the air and threw it for a TD, but he was out of bounds but never touched?

Yes, the errant whistle play.

Among many others...
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:24 PM)magikod Wrote: I'm confused, was the bad call when Burrow was in the air and threw it for a TD, but he was out of bounds but never touched?

Yup the play where, as someone else put it, they are mad they got screwed out of screwing the Bengals.

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see a handful of national media people complaining about not replaying the down.
Yes, technically the rule would be to replay the down if there's a preemptive whistle, but the whistle shouldn't have been blown in the first place.

Huge mistake by the ref, and if I was in a Raiders fans shoes I'd be pissed as well.
Reply/Quote

The early whistle was blown because they thought Burrow stepped out of bounds.
Upon review, they realized he didn't step out of bounds and awarded the TD.
However, the whistle was technically blown about less than a second before the catch. The ball was in the air when it was blown.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:27 PM)magikod Wrote: Huge mistake by the ref, and if I was in a Raiders fans shoes I'd be pissed as well.

I can say I wouldn’t. No effect on the play, and the Bengals would have been jobbed due to incompetence

Reply/Quote
Let's blame the part timers, our plan is working!!
Reply/Quote
Jerome Boger's crew was a train wreck last night......i didnt understand half of what he was sayin and players kept walkin into the shot as he was tryin to tell us the penalty.......very unorganized..........but Joey B managed to get us a playoff win
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I see a handful of national media people complaining about not replaying the down.

But it wasn't the correct call, because of the whistle.  There are two things that were done incorrectly from the officiating crew on that play.  First, blowing the whistle after Joe threw the ball inbounds.  Second, awarding a touchdown instead of replaying the down.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 02:27 PM)magikod Wrote: Huge mistake by the ref, and if I was in a Raiders fans shoes I'd be pissed as well.

There were plenty of officiating issues.
I found it odd that there was a call overturned in favor of the Raiders that didn't require a challenge flag, but the Bengals had to use a challenge on the same type of thing just plays later.
The roughing the passer call was BS too.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote