Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ogbuehi - so is he officially done in Cincy??
whilst they made the excuse of the hot weather last week for swapping Dre Smith in, today-apart from the odd early snap- it looked like Ced was officially benched for the rest of the game.

If so does he come back from this????  or is he done with the Bengals?

We tried RT for 10'ish games before Fisher took over last year. He then went to  his 'natural' position of LT this year and has been a sieve - we've lasted into the 4th game and he is now not LT either.

he's popped up at RG for a few snaps but has looked worse there then at OT..

..where next for his amazing athleticism..blocking TE, slot receiver, kicker to beat out Fat Randy??

not sure he comes back from this...getting benched for fat Dre who could not win the RG spot over Hopkins and TJ Johnson is pretty damning 
Reply/Quote
Done? Did he ever really get started in the first place?

Seriously though, Cedric Ogbuehi is a talented guy. He was terrific in college and I think it's hard for him to adjust to Paul Alexander's so-called "technique" which hasn't been effective for decades.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just don't see them admitting they were wrong and wasted a 1st round pick. Sadly, I think we're stuck with him.

Reply/Quote
When Andre Smith beats you out at LT of all positions. You're done.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 06:56 PM)jj22 Wrote: When Andre Smith beats you out at LT of all positions. You're done.

That may not really be an accurate statement.  Andre was LT at Bama.  We had Whitworth, who was firmly cemented in the role here.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 06:47 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Done?  Did he ever really get started in the first place?

Seriously though, Cedric Ogbuehi is a talented guy.  He was terrific in college and I think it's hard for him to adjust to Paul Alexander's so-called "technique" which hasn't been effective for decades.

You make an excellent point about Paul Alexander trying to push the Zone Blocking scheme with personnel that obviously don't respond well to it.

However, as for Cedric Ogbuehi specifically;  He may be a talented athlete, but I don't believe that Professional Offensive Lineman is his true calling.  I don't see the aggressive, physical nature from him to be a brute.  And I don't see the attention to detail, perfection of craft, to even be an effective finesse/technician type of OLman that can get the job done, on a regular basis.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Fingers crossed
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You make an excellent point about Paul Alexander trying to push the Zone Blocking scheme with personnel that obviously don't respond well to it.

However, as for Cedric Ogbuehi specifically;  He may be a talented athlete, but I don't believe that Professional Offensive Lineman is his true calling.  I don't see the aggressive, physical nature from him to be a brute.  And I don't see the attention to detail, perfection of craft, to even be an effective finesse/technician type of OLman that can get the job done, on a regular basis.

Interesting coincidence: A friend who was visiting watched the game with me today -- he doesn't watch the Bengals at all --and his first question he asked was, "Why can't they open lanes for the runners like everyone else does?"
Reply/Quote
Hopefully.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 07:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Interesting coincidence:  A friend who was visiting watched the game with me today -- he doesn't watch the Bengals at all --and his first question he asked was, "Why can't they open lanes for the runners like everyone else does?"

Not to continue drifting too far off topic, as that issue has been discussed ad-nauseum around here.  I will say that in order for the Zone blocking scheme to be effective, you have to start with a group of OLmen that have good cohesion together.  It also takes good coordination between the OL coach, the RBs coach and the OC, in order to make it work.  

When it does work, like the Bronco's made famous in the late 90's, it is fantastic.  You can have the perfect OL with smaller, more athletic players.  However, unless the entire offensive coaching staff and scouting department are completely vested in it, it cannot work.  In my opinion, the team is not vested in Paul Alexander's philosophy enough to make that work here.  What I think they should do;  Is to allow Lazor to select the OL coach of his choice, one that employs the blocking schemes that he has envisioned for his offense.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 07:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That may not really be an accurate statement.  Andre was LT at Bama.  We had Whitworth, who was firmly cemented in the role here.

That's not accurate either.

Whit was LG when Andre was drafted.   Levi Jones was still the starting LT.  After Andre's rookie minicamp, Jones was released, Whit was declared the starting LT and Andre was declared the starting RT.
Reply/Quote
The offensive line is horrendous. I think Fisher is just as bad Ogbuehi to be honest with you but we don't have a 4th tackle on our roster to play over him. I knew he must have not been good last year when the Bengals tried Winston over him at RT when Ogbuehi got benched. Bodine still can't shotgun snap in year 4 or block for that matter. Westermen must really stink if Hopkins, TJ Johnson and even Redmen are ahead of him at guard.
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 07:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You make an excellent point about Paul Alexander trying to push the Zone Blocking scheme with personnel that obviously don't respond well to it.

Great post.

He looks like a prototypical tackle...tall, lean, muscular, athletic...he's just not physical. He gave up a lot of sacks in college.

As far as the question as to in he's done here. I don't know that Smith can be counted on to remain healthy for 12 games. Also who knows what the Bengals will do after the season? We know they don't like to pay money for free agents and there generally aren't a lot of talented Tackles out there. Will they draft one?

How important is an offensive line? Gurley is tearing it up for the Rams as is Goff with an improved line.
Reply/Quote
Simple....Yep
Reply/Quote
For going into their THIRD years, him and Fisher just arent good imo. They shouldve been drafted in the late rounds to be backups based on how they have played.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
We can only hope. But I doubt this coaching staff (*ahem* Alexander Rolleyes ) has the balls to admit they made a huge mistake drafting him
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 07:52 PM)Millhouse Wrote: For going into their THIRD years, him and Fisher just arent good...

We all know the Bengals hate to admit they made a mistake, but sooner or later they'll have to question if Ogbuehi and Fisher are as good as they're going to get in the scheme of things?  Rotating them in and out isn't helping their development, and giving them more snaps hurts the team. Are the Bengals going to fart around half the season like they did last year trying to force something that clearly wasn't working?
Reply/Quote
yes . keep him off the field. he ruined last year for us
Reply/Quote
(10-01-2017, 07:35 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: That's not accurate either.

Whit was LG when Andre was drafted.   Levi Jones was still the starting LT.  After Andre's rookie minicamp, Jones was released, Whit was declared the starting LT and Andre was declared the starting RT.

Whit was PUT at LG, in an effort to get the best 5 OL on the field, at the same time.  He was a Tackle in college, he's a Tackle as a Pro.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Doubtful. He was handpicked by our OLine coach. The same guy who handpicked our near-worst-in-the-league center who was given a starting job and has yet to have any competition brought in. He may be part of a rotation now, but him just losing his job and sitting his ass on the bench full-time is highly doubtful. Our OLine coach shall not be questioned.
Reply/Quote