Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Oh For The Love Of God, Get This Right Mike!
I agree with you it was Marvins idea. Scary thing is Mike could see Hue as Marvin 2.0 and feel comfortable with knowing what he'll get with Hues personality and give it a try.....

...for 16 years  Ninja 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:08 PM)GodFather Wrote: I agree with you it was Marvins idea. Scary thing is Mike could see Hue as Marvin 2.0 and feel comfortable with knowing what he'll get with Hues personality and give it a try.....

...for 16 years  Ninja 

If the Bengals weren't going to talk to any outside candidates, maybe.  But since they are interviewing outside the circle, no way he gets the job.  But, if they want an absolutely empty stadium next year, then  he is their man.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 01:18 PM)McC Wrote:   But, if they want an absolutely empty stadium next year, then  he is their man.

Hello McC
 Empty stadium? Is that a threat? Well then Id like you to meet Cincinnati's newest head coach, Mr Hue Jackson! If the people think they are going to threaten me I'll put Clevelands winningest at head coach! 

Sincerely,
Mike Brown

PS- Dont forget to buy season tickets to the "new" Bengals in 2019, why we'll even throw in a box of popcorn to your very first game!*

*popcorn is from last years inventory and the Cincinnati Bengals are not responsible for any illness caused by eating contaminated food. Infectious organisms- including bacteria, viruses and parasites- or their toxins are the most common causes of food poisoning.*
Reply/Quote
As already stated Mikes internal hires were miserable failures. His only real outside hire was Lewis who had a solid first decade. Hopefully he will see that the outside hire he made worked out much better than any of the internal promotions he made.
I am sure MB views Marvin’s tenure here as being much more successful than the fans do and this may work in our favor.
I’m shocked that Bieniemy is not at the top of the list. He’s not an internal guy but he has played here so the Brown family all know him. Also Reid’s former coaches have had great success when they have gotten their opportunities. Seems like a good fit unless Bieniemy left on bad terms or something.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 09:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: Ok lets look at Mikes history. Shula..well nothing needs to be said about that. Bruce Coslet hired as HC after Shula resigns. Lazy. After Coslet resigns guess what Mike does? Yup hires LeBeau as HC. Then after two lazy moves he puts some effort in and hires Marvin who took so much wind out of him he waits 16 years to fire him.

Is it so far fetched he would be lazy with replacing Lewis? Im just reading what the news is saying and not thinking its so ridiculous of a theory.

That being said Im elated Lewis is gone, Im just hoping Brown makes the most of this and puts the best person in a position for our team to succeed, not make another comfortable move.

(12-31-2018, 10:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Cannot argue with you at all here man. Be happy, just be happy.

Here's how you do it. 

First of all, Shula was a bad hire. Brown took a shot and it missed badly...but...Shula did NOT resign. He was fired after a loss in SF that left the Bengals 1-6, in 1996. That made Shula's overall record 19-52. After he was fired, mid-season, you don't do a search for new HC, you hire in-house. They did that by promoting Bruce Coslet who immediately "changed the culture of losing" and went 7-2 the rest of the year. That wasn't a "lazy hire". Retaining him for the next year was pretty much par for the course with how MB did/does things. 

After the Shake and Blake sensation ran it's course and the Bengals completely fumbled with the Akili Smith debacle, Coslet's run had become stale and after they started the 2000 season 0-3, after being shut out for the 2nd consecutive game--losing 37-0 to Baltimore--Coslet quit. Again, you don't do a HC search in-season so Dick Lebeau took over. That's 2 new coaches after your very first hire, but both mid-season so it's not "lazy". 

After it was apparent that Lebeau was a great DC but not a good HC, Brown did the right thing in his search for a new HC and hired Lewis. The rest, they say, is history.

None of his hires were lazy. Shula was a bad hire and he just waited way too long to make a change with Lewis.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 12:19 AM)GodFather Wrote: I am happy buddy, excited to see what happens next year and cant wait! Happy New Year my friend to you and your family! 

It will be very exciting next year to see what comes out of the locker room and Im sure this board will be rocking with anticipation!

Yes sir, would love Taylor, Bienemy, Monken, Waldron etc.

Damn near all the guys we are interviewing except the in house guys. Exciting brother!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2019, 03:10 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's how you do it. 

First of all, Shula was a bad hire. Brown took a shot and it missed badly...but...Shula did NOT resign. He was fired after a loss in SF that left the Bengals 1-6, in 1996. That made Shula's overall record 19-52. After he was fired, mid-season, you don't do a search for new HC, you hire in-house. They did that by promoting Bruce Coslet who immediately "changed the culture of losing" and went 7-2 the rest of the year. That wasn't a "lazy hire". Retaining him for the next year was pretty much par for the course with how MB did/does things. 

After the Shake and Blake sensation ran it's course and the Bengals completely fumbled with the Akili Smith debacle, Coslet's run had become stale and after they started the 2000 season 0-3, after being shut out for the 2nd consecutive game--losing 37-0 to Baltimore--Coslet quit. Again, you don't do a HC search in-season so Dick Lebeau took over. That's 2 new coaches after your very first hire, but both mid-season so it's not "lazy". 

After it was apparent that Lebeau was a great DC but not a good HC, Brown did the right thing in his search for a new HC and hired Lewis. The rest, they say, is history.

None of his hires were lazy. Shula was a bad hire and he just waited way too long to make a change with Lewis.

Those are good arguments, well done Rfaulk.
Reply/Quote
I dig the hat: Let's get a "B" on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T91VRX72OeY
Reply/Quote
The more I see of coach Monken, the more I like. I think the Bengals would be fortunate to land such a coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDzO-y97TU
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 09:34 PM)GodFather Wrote: Ok lets look at Mikes history. Shula..well nothing needs to be said about that. Bruce Coslet hired as HC after Shula resigns. Lazy. After Coslet resigns guess what Mike does? Yup hires LeBeau as HC. Then after two lazy moves he puts some effort in and hires Marvin who took so much wind out of him he waits 16 years to fire him.

Is it so far fetched he would be lazy with replacing Lewis? Im just reading what the news is saying and not thinking its so ridiculous of a theory.

That being said Im elated Lewis is gone, Im just hoping Brown makes the most of this and puts the best person in a position for our team to succeed, not make another comfortable move.

In fairness to Coslet, he went 7-2 after replacing Shula as the interim HC.  Really hard to not give the guy the job after they started 1-6.

LeBeau was the Bengals' DC for their second SB and was big name coordinator, so it wasn't like he was a relative no name like Lazor.  That hire would have been about equivalent to promoting Zimmer to HC.

Both hires didn't work out and were arguably lazy, but both guys were qualified on paper.  
Reply/Quote
I never thought in a million years I would say this, but thank god for Stephen a. Smith. Calling out Marvin and the bengals organization for mediocrity and bringing it to others that see it like us. It’s always been there, but him going on a tangent about the incompetence of our front office is always a great listen.
Reply/Quote
We CANNOT hire in house. We need a brand new fn face. If we go cheap and hire jackson, Simmons, Vance Joseph, or Lazor I'll be pissed. I want Zac Taylor
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 04:10 PM)Whatever Wrote: In fairness, the Bengals beat two playoff teams in the Colts and Ravens before getting gutted by injuries.  This team has holes, but it has plenty of good players, too.  We know that Mike wouldn't fire Marvin as a scapegoat for a bad roster, so his rationale has to be that the team is underperforming based on it's talent level.

Almost every team looks at internal candidates, so I don't really think we can read too much into this.

I don't think the Bengals are planning on taxpayer money for a new stadium, as that's no longer the norm around the league like it was when PBS was built.  Katie has said that PBS will be adequate for another 20-30 years and the team recently paid for renovations that the county is obligated to pay for in the lease agreement.  And Jesus, look how long it took Mike to can Marv.  Who really thinks he has it in him to move the team?

The Bucs beat two playoff teams

The giants beat two playoff teams

What is your Point?
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2019, 07:36 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: The more I see of coach Monken, the more I like. I think the Bengals would be fortunate to land such a coach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmDzO-y97TU

I agree, i like Monken as well. Lots of good candidates out there and there will be more once the Playoffs are over for some teams.

Kris Richard is another that i would love.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I agree, i like Monken as well. Lots of good candidates out there and there will be more once the Playoffs are over for some teams.

Kris Richard is another that i would love.

I think Todd Monken will get a HC job somewhere, Kris Richard might also, but Dallas doesn't want him to go. I am pretty open to anybody getting the HC job here in Cincinnati except for Hue Jackson, he's had two chances and I don't think the third time would be the charm.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 09:14 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I think Todd Monken will get a HC job somewhere, Kris Richard might also, but Dallas doesn't want him to go. I am pretty open to anybody getting the HC job here in Cincinnati except for Hue Jackson, he's had two chances and I don't think the third time would be the charm.

The only way Richard i think doesn't leave Dallas is if he takes over the DC job and i am with you and think he would rather want to be a HC not just a DC. Someone will pay the man i am sure and i would be more than fine if it is us. He is great at motivating his players, we need this desperately here.

Hue is out of the question, find it HIGHLY unlikely we hire him to be HC. There would be an uproar.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone think theres a realistic chance we hire from the inside or vance joseph? Im sure the front office is well aware of fan reaction if this happens and if they thought the stadium was empty with merv, wait til they hire lazor, hue, simmons, joseph. That place will be a ghost town and the front office cant stick it up there a$$
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 09:48 AM)uticabengalfan Wrote: Does anyone think theres a realistic chance we hire from the inside or vance joseph? Im sure the front office is well aware of fan reaction if this happens and if they thought the stadium was empty with merv, wait til they hire lazor, hue, simmons, joseph. That place will be a ghost town and the front office cant stick it up there a$$

They won't hire from the inside, like you said it would be a ghost town at PBS.
Reply/Quote