Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ohio State defense
(11-03-2018, 02:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Right now this team is an absolute joke.  Both Saturday and Sunday I have to sit and watch two of the worst defenses I can ever recall seeing.

Today's debacle wasn't all on the defense.  They had a couple of opportunities to take command of this game, and force Nebraska to become one dimensional.  Instead, they turned the ball over, both on downs and on fumbles, not to mention an INT in the end zone the opening possession of the second half.

Now, I'm not saying that the defense isn't without it's faults.  A targeting foul, many, many missed tackles and blown coverages, not to mention allowing Nebraska to continue gaining positive yardage on the ground.  Schiano is terrible, it's past time for him to go.

Dad and I were talking during the 1st half, we both agree that it's time for Urban to either step down or just plain retire.  Sure, you can point to the number of his assistants that have left for head coaching gigs, but the team just seems to not have that "fighting spirit" that they had early on, while he was serving his suspension.  Yeah, they got up for the Penn St. game, nice job.  But, since then, it's been a steady decline in both determination and execution, on both sides of the ball.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 02:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Right now this team is an absolute joke.  Both Saturday and Sunday I have to sit and watch two of the worst defenses I can ever recall seeing.

I was sitting here today thinking it's like watching the same D. Out of position, poor tackling, blown coverages ! You think it's the same guys and coach ?  Say What

(11-03-2018, 04:57 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Imagine in offseason Bengals fire Austin and Buckeyes firing Schiano. Bengals then hire Schiano as new DC.

Not funny  Smack

(11-03-2018, 04:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: That ain’t even funny. Making a voodoo doll of you right now.

I'll hold the doll down while you run it thru  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 05:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Today's debacle wasn't all on the defense.  They had a couple of opportunities to take command of this game, and force Nebraska to become one dimensional.  Instead, they turned the ball over, both on downs and on fumbles, not to mention an INT in the end zone the opening possession of the second half.

Now, I'm not saying that the defense isn't without it's faults.  A targeting foul, many, many missed tackles and blown coverages, not to mention allowing Nebraska to continue gaining positive yardage on the ground.  Schiano is terrible, it's past time for him to go.

Dad and I were talking during the 1st half, we both agree that it's time for Urban to either step down or just plain retire.  Sure, you can point to the number of his assistants that have left for head coaching gigs, but the team just seems to not have that "fighting spirit" that they had early on, while he was serving his suspension.  Yeah, they got up for the Penn St. game, nice job.  But, since then, it's been a steady decline in both determination and execution, on both sides of the ball.

Agreed, badly need a new spark, some fire. It's just not there with Urban they're just going thru the motions.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 05:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Today's debacle wasn't all on the defense.  They had a couple of opportunities to take command of this game, and force Nebraska to become one dimensional.  Instead, they turned the ball over, both on downs and on fumbles, not to mention an INT in the end zone the opening possession of the second half.

Oh the offense played their own role as well.

And no I don’t think you move on from Urban. You do move on from Schiano.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 05:59 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'll hold the doll down while you run it thru  ThumbsUp

Why does this sound like a X-rated movie?  Nervous

Ok, I'm in.  Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 06:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh the offense played their own role as well.

I think Urban probably moves on himself with the health and all. Schiano has to go ! Fire him now !

I'm not sure they could handle Alabama or whoever but this team is better than they're playing, that's my thing. I don't think they're all in right now with Urban.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 06:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Oh the offense played their own role as well.

According to some Buckeye publication that my Dad gets, it's entirely possible that the arachnoid cyst that's causing Meyer all of those painful headaches, may just force him to step down.  The article went on to speak about a "short list" of candidates to replace Urban Meyer.  Top two on the list are Matt Campbell of Iowa St. and Ryan Day of Ohio State.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 06:45 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: According to some Buckeye publication that my Dad gets, it's entirely possible that the arachnoid cyst that's causing Meyer all of those painful headaches, may just force him to step down.  The article went on to speak about a "short list" of candidates to replace Urban Meyer.  Top two on the list are Matt Campbell of Iowa St. and Ryan Day of Ohio State.

I don't know much about Campbell but I'd be all for Day taking over.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 06:53 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I don't know much about Campbell but I'd be all for Day taking over.

Here, acquaint yourself with Matt Campbell, he's an Ohio guy, born and bred, son of a coach at a famous Ohio HS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Campbell_(American_football_coach)

However, if Ryan Day were to get the nod, I would have zero problems with it.  He not only steered the ship in Meyer's absence, but had it running at optimal performance.  When asked about Day in reference to possibly being a successor to Meyer, Chip Kelly was quoted as saying "He's built for it", meaning that he can handle the pressures and responsibilities of a major attention position.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Here, acquaint yourself with Matt Campbell, he's an Ohio guy, born and bred, son of a coach at a famous Ohio HS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Campbell_(American_football_coach)

However, if Ryan Day were to get the nod, I would have zero problems with it.  He not only steered the ship in Meyer's absence, but had it running at optimal performance.  When asked about Day in reference to possibly being a successor to Meyer, Chip Kelly was quoted as saying "He's built for it", meaning that he can handle the pressures and responsibilities of a major attention position.

It seems Campbell has a decent resume, probably wouldn't be a horrible choice ? But there just seems to be something about Day I like. His poise, quiet confidence ? I agree with Chip Kelly.

Perhaps I'm all wrong ? But it seems to me the Buckeyes hearts aren't really in it. And it's appeared that way for the last few games, even before Purdue. I think a change is needed.
Reply/Quote
Whoever it is you better make sure they can recruit. If you can’t do that everything else is meaningless.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 07:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Whoever it is you better make sure they can recruit. If you can’t do that everything else is meaningless.

True
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 07:34 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Whoever it is you better make sure they can recruit. If you can’t do that everything else is meaningless.

The recruiting will be there.  Logos means a lot in the CFB recruiting world.  Not to mention that similar to the political world, college athletics is run by wealthy alumni donors.  That same network of money and influence that convinced Urban Meyer to come out of retirement and coach at OSU, would certainly bless the next coach of their choice with all of the similar backing and benefits.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 08:02 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The recruiting will be there.  Logos means a lot in the CFB recruiting world.  Not to mention that similar to the political world, college athletics is run by wealthy alumni donors.  That same network of money and influence that convinced Urban Meyer to come out of retirement and coach at OSU, would certainly bless the next coach of their choice with all of the similar backing and benefits.

Michigan has all that and went straight in the crapper when they picked the wrong coach. Today they are far better than they were four years ago because they have far better players, and they have far better players because they have a guy that can bring in players.

Reply/Quote
OSU will lose against the school up North this year. I must say, the bucks look like a shell of a team and soulless. They do not deserve to be in the CFP and I am a huge buckeye fan.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 08:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Michigan has all that and went straight in the crapper when they picked the wrong coach. Today they are far better than they were four years ago because they have far better players, and they have far better players because they have a guy that can bring in players.

So, it only took the Michigan alum what, 3 or 4 tries to get a "good" guy?  Last two Buckeye coaches have turned in National Championships.  I have faith that they'll select the right guy.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 08:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: OSU will lose against the school up North this year.  I must say, the bucks look like a shell of a team and soulless.  They do not deserve to be in the CFP and I am a huge buckeye fan.

Agree mostly,

Buckeyes sleep walking right now and really have been for last 3 or 4 games. But Michigan is big rivalry game so everything kinda goes out the window. However I'd say for Buckeyes to have any chance ball is gonna have to bounce their way - a lot. Turnover or two, blocked punt, KO return. That kinda stuff. They'd have next to no chance in CFP's though.

Not playing like they are anyways !
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 06:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why does this sound like a X-rated movie?  Nervous

Ok, I'm in.  Hilarious

But if I am the doll..... Freakout
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 08:35 PM)Millhouse Wrote: But if I am the doll..... Freakout

We'll get Harley's dog to catch you, teach you to even joke about stuff like that.
Reply/Quote
(11-03-2018, 08:21 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: OSU will lose against the school up North this year. I must say, the bucks look like a shell of a team and soulless. They do not deserve to be in the CFP and I am a huge buckeye fan.

I think that’s close to assures. Their D is really good and their O is good enough to truck this defense.

Reply/Quote