Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Okay is everyone done crying and moaning?
(07-01-2019, 02:47 AM)Joelist Wrote: I know the Williams injury threw people for a loop and also that some expression of anger/cynicism/pain can be therapeutic.

Hasn't it been enough now? The reality is Williams is out and nothing anyone feels or says will change it - time to move on.

The next big point is training camp. Then comes preseason where for the first time we get to see the new schemes and coaches in action. That will provide a lot more information than we have now,

IF this causes the Bengals to be unable to block in 2019, the crying hasn't even begun yet.   The moaning will be Dalton and others carried off the field in injury due to no blocking.   Without blocking, no scheme or playbook can work.  Call any plays you want, they will all get blown up as defense is unblocked.  Many 3 and outs and our defense going on the field too often and often starting with opposition already in or near scoring position thanks to no blocking on offense. Very much like Slippery Rock vs Alabama or other college mismatch games of 70 to 0 scores.

Now I said IF the Bengals can't block. IF, IF, IF.....Bengals still have time to adjust, bring blockers in, coach up the blockers they have. 4th Round pick Michael Jordon, the O Lineman from Ohio State now has the door swing open for playing time in 2019. Also any undrafted O linemen brought into camp. Bengals probably will need to bring in more O Linemen and look at who teams cut in preseason, and this is why I'm all for resigning Bengal Jake Fisher who is probably better than most they could bring in or have just brought in. Fisher would help to fill out the bench depth and could be even more than that. The high draft pick of Bengals Fisher is worth considering resigning very much now.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 09:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Learning curve is one thing. I think it remains to be seen if ANY coach can win a championship here with the way the Bengals front office operates.

Let's face it...not signing 2-3 quality upgrades in free agency puts soo much pressure on the draft each year...and they've been whiffing.

Losing Williams this year is extremely costly.

Right.  There is whining and there is admitting that bad luck and sluggish ownership have put ZT behind the eight ball to start his rookie campaign.  

I don't Think anyone will get on ZTs case immediately if things are rough, but that's when we will go back to whining and complaining about the off season
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 11:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right.  There is whining and there is admitting that bad luck and sluggish ownership have put ZT behind the eight ball to start his rookie campaign.  

I don't Think anyone will get on ZTs case immediately if things are rough, but that's when we will go back to whining and complaining about the off season

Yes - People can say what they want, but in many cases when teams hire a new coach, they bring in some upgrades to positions. The Bengals chose to basically rely on injuries to a roster that has not finished .500 each of the past 3 years.

Now with Williams and Boling likely out...our line could be worse and LB is highly questionable.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 11:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yes - People can say what they want, but in many cases when teams hire a new coach, they bring in some upgrades to positions. The Bengals chose to basically rely on injuries to a roster that has not finished .500 each of the past 3 years.

Now with Williams and Boling likely out...our line could be worse and LB is highly questionable.

You forgot we're all worried Ross might get hurt running during the off season so need to put a stop to that.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 07:04 PM)sandwedge Wrote: And if I remember correctly he only won 1 game as HC.....?

Close.....they went 3-8.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
This same team was 4-1 with stale coaching, a worse RG, and no plan once Eifert went down.  Let's see if the whiz kid is as advertised, and if they can remain healthy at key positions (unlike last season) before we throw in the towel......

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 09:23 AM)Wyche Wrote: This same team was 4-1 with stale coaching, a worse RG, and no plan once Eifert went down.  Let's see if the whiz kid is as advertised, and if they can remain healthy at key positions (unlike last season) before we throw in the towel......

If you look at it from the perspective that we were on pace to go 12-4 before the football gods smote us in 2018, suddenly the pressure to compete for the AFC crown ramps up for ZT.

We were 4-1 before injuries last year. So unless this team suffers similar injuries to key players an 8-8 finish might not look so promising. 
Reply/Quote
I’ve never seen so many people cling to a quarter season record so much in my life...

Lots of teams go on nice runs for short stretches, it means nothing. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. And we’re not the only team to deal with injuries.

Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 10:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve never seen so many people cling to a quarter season record so much in my life...

Lots of teams go on nice runs for short stretches, it means nothing. It’s a marathon, not a sprint. And we’re not the only team to deal with injuries.

I get it, but I also recall when Brian Hoyer and the Browns were in 1st place in the division in week 12 or so...and then they weren't.

But like I said, if this is a 4-1 kinda team sans injuries then ZT had better get winning and fast. 
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2019, 11:19 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't Think anyone will get on ZTs case immediately if things are rough,

I will try to seperate ZTs performance from the talent he has.  If he seems to be making coaching mistakes I will criticize him, but if the talent is just not there I will give hima break.

But if things start off slow I guarantee the natives will get restless quickly.  Some fans will be quick to point out that this same team started 4-1 last year.

And some people will complain no matter what happens.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 10:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’ve never seen so many people cling to a quarter season record so much in my life...

Indeed 

And a couple of those wins where probably just as much luck as anything else. 
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 10:29 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Indeed 

And a couple of those wins where probably just as much luck as anything else. 

Wins are wins, but id wager one could poke holes in our promising start as one could point out the 2018 Browns didn't notch many impressive wins either.

Lets see....rusty Luck (they started the season 1-5), terminal Flacco, losing season Falcons and losing season Dolphins with a QB who is now a back up who practically handed our defense points. 

I'm being as critical as possible, but we didn't exactly face a murderers row there. 
Reply/Quote

And I have never seen "fans" try so hard to shit on wins by their own team.

Bengals win a close game it is all "luck".  Bengals lose a close game it is because Bengals suck.

Bengals win over Colts doesn't count because Luck was recoverying from an injury, but when Bengals lose players to injury it does not matter because "every team has injuries".
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 10:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And I have never seen "fans" try so hard to shit on wins by their own team.

Bengals win a close game it is all "luck".  Bengals lose a close game it is because Bengals suck.

Bengals win over Colts doesn't count because Luck was recoverying from an injury, but when Bengals lose players to injury it does not matter because "every team has injuries".

That's the beauty of the NFL.  You can "shoulda" practically any team into or out of the SB.  

The 4-1 last year counts...but so does the 2-9 that followed.  This off season analysis is all about stuffing the data into our own personal narratives. 
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 11:05 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The 4-1 last year counts...but so does the 2-9 that followed.  This off season analysis is all about stuffing the data into our own personal narratives. 

You can blame our offensive coaches for not being able to adjust to the loss of Eifert, but there was claerly a huge difference after he was gone last year.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 11:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You can blame our offensive coaches for not being able to adjust to the loss of Eifert, but there was claerly a huge difference after he was gone last year.

Every one should get fired for designing a team so heavily dependent on a guy who is healthy for about 3 or 4 games per year. 
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 10:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And I have never seen "fans" try so hard to shit on wins by their own team.

Fred nobody is shitting on anything and nobody said it was all "luck". 

It's just that to hear some peeps tell it we were just kicking arse and taking names on offense during the 4-1 start and that's stretching things a bit to say the least ! We had a good qtr and a half to start the Ravens game then fell flat on our face for the remainder of the game. The O played well coming back against Atlanta. 

As strange as it is the defense played a big role in the Dolphins and Colts wins. Colts were driving down the field and may well have won were it not for the fumble return for TD by Fejedelem. The D was responsible for what 14, 17 ? in the final 10 minutes of the Dolphins game or that would have been a loss. The worst D in the NFL that had like 5 takeaways all year played major roles in two wins.

We could easily have started out 2-3

One could break down every game and play the woulda, coulda, shoulda, game..... I get it. The point is let's not act like we were dominating those games and strutting to victory, if the word "luck" bothers you.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 11:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I do say so, and you are my proof.

If you reject null hypothesis you might sound like a doctor, though.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 11:45 AM)Nately120 Wrote: If you reject null hypothesis you might sound like a doctor, though.

This is why you're a HOFer.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2019, 11:52 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: This is why you're a HOFer.

That and the odd sexual favor here and there.
Reply/Quote