Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open Coaching Positions
(01-18-2016, 09:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And you usually end up better for it anyways....now if we would actually grow a pair and offer one of them a promotion....

Promotion to where, though?  The upper jobs are filled.

They sure made it sound like they had some arrangement with Vance to keep him here long term.  Apparently, that was not the case because one year isn't exaclty long term.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 09:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: And you usually end up better for it anyways....now if we would actually grow a pair and offer one of them a promotion....

So fire Guenther? He had the best scoring defense lol

When you are successful coaches leave cause everyone wants what you got.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 09:46 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looks to me like they are setting up Haslett as the next DC if Guenther leaves in the future.

How do you figure that?

If anyone is in line to take over the defense it's Coyle. But I don't see Guenther going anywhere
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 09:52 PM)McC Wrote: Promotion to where, though?  The upper jobs are filled.

They sure made it sound like they had some arrangement with Vance to keep him here long term.  Apparently, that was not the case because one year isn't exaclty long term.

OC, HC, DC...eventually those spots will be open

(01-18-2016, 09:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: So fire Guenther?  He had the best scoring defense lol  

When you are successful coaches leave cause everyone wants what you got.

Where did I say that? 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 09:42 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They made a change to fit their new scheme.   They just got a new DC last year and are adjusting their staff as contracts run out.   They basically wiped the defensive staff.     This is very common.

And if Jay didn't give him a recommendation, marvin and Pauly wouldn't hire him.

It's just as likely, if not more so, that the recommendation came from Haslett, as he was the d-coordinator when Burney was coaching d-line in DC.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 08:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I kinda like Lazor.   Will add some scheme diversity exp. to the staff.

So we basically traded VJ and Burke for Coyle and Lazor.

VJ and Burke for Coyle and Haslett? Hayes for Lazor.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 10:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's just as likely, if not more so, that the recommendation came from Haslett, as he was the d-coordinator when Burney was coaching d-line in DC.

From what I read, it seems like he's had pretty good success.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 09:45 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I just wanted some youth back on this team. We went from great young up and coming coaches to older established guys with little to no upside outside of Lazor. 

On the other hand, maybe the older established guys can help with discipline and self control.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 10:27 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: It's just as likely, if not more so, that the recommendation came from Haslett, as he was the d-coordinator when Burney was coaching d-line in DC.

Possibly. But no way the hire happens without marvin calling jay to see why they were moving on.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 10:33 PM)gobobro Wrote: VJ and Burke for Coyle and Haslett? Hayes for Lazor.

I was making a joke because we lost 2 coaches to Miami and we hired 2 from Miami.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 10:43 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: On the other hand, maybe the older established guys can help with discipline and self control.  

I don't see why anyone would be upset that we hired someone with extensive experience.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 10:43 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: On the other hand, maybe the older established guys can help with discipline and self control.  

Possibly. I think marvin and Pauly wanted established guys to take this thing to the next level. We have veteran players on defense so we need technically sound coaches. Less needed on motivation.
Reply/Quote
I like all 3 of these new coaches and the promotion of Zampese. I feel this team isn't going to lose a step, but continue to get even better. Another solid draft and the AFC North is ours to lose. Of course the Pittsburgh teat-sucking media is going to project the Steelers winning it next season with a revamped Baltimore team coming in second. I put money on the talking heads over at NFL.com and ESPN predicting we come in 3rd place and they'll all cite losing Hue Jackson as too much for our offense to overcome.
Reply/Quote
Marvins got a connection with Burney from his days in Baltimore. Sounds like a high energy detailed guy. Big game experience. Hobs says 2 more coaches are coming. Assistant DB and O quality control coach.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 10:05 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: OC, HC, DC...eventually those spots will be open

Where did I say that? 

Eventually.  The thing about that word that makes it so handy it that expresses an indeterminate amount of time.  One size fits all.  Could be tomorrow, could be ten years from now.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 11:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvins got a connection with Burney from his days in Baltimore. Sounds like a high energy detailed guy. Big game experience. Hobs says 2 more coaches are coming. Assistant DB and O quality control coach.

Good stuff. Going to go find the story now
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 11:07 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvins got a connection with Burney from his days in Baltimore. Sounds like a high energy detailed guy. Big game experience. Hobs says 2 more coaches are coming. Assistant DB and O quality control coach.

Interesting. Maybe Zampese needs help? Or maybe this is just an extra set of eyes that can help tweak the offense through the season.

Do most teams have a position like this? I honestly don't know. I don't recall us having anyone with a similar title before.

Btw, what is Bratkowski's current role with the team? Hopefully it's getting coffee for Mike.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2016, 09:46 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looks to me like they are setting up Haslett as the next DC if Guenther leaves in the future.

Guenther is most likely our next head coach. The FO thinks very highly of him.

(01-19-2016, 12:27 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Interesting. Maybe Zampese needs help? Or maybe this is just an extra set of eyes that can help tweak the offense through the season.

Do most teams have a position like this? I honestly don't know. I don't recall us having anyone with a similar title before.

Btw, what is Bratkowski's current role with the team? Hopefully it's getting coffee for Mike.

Most teams have offensive/defensive quality control coaches. They're the bottom spots on the coaching totem pole.  They're usually guys breaking into coaching.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Was nice to read that Coyle has been working for the bengals since being fired as a forward scout to start game planning.
Reply/Quote
Wonder if Simmons would every get consideration as a HC. His teams units have been really good for awhile now. It isn't common to see ST coaches get HC jobs, but it's not impossible. Believe John Harbaugh was and ST guy in Philly before getting the Baltimore job.
Reply/Quote