Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF: Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done
(05-08-2021, 08:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think the real question is:  will they play OT their rookie season, and if not, will they be a solid option at G?  I have strong reservations on everyone on this list as a guard for year 1 aside from possibly Radunz.  Carman, however, projects as a very solid option at Guard.  I have stated a number of times that I would have much rather had Brown over Ossai to develop behind Reiff, but as it sits, I feel really good about Carman.  

I like Carman as a guard. I've said that before.
However, if the Bengals had actually addressed guard properly in FA (which they clearly showed they had the ability to do given they have ~$25 mill in cap space still to work with), they wouldn't have needed to get a guy to play guard.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 09:18 AM)PDub80 Wrote: PERFECT! So, you should be 100% pleased with Smith, the OT from ECU for that role.... a 2nd round rated prospect back in Feb.... who dominated the senior bowl 1 on 1s.... who has much better arm length, size, and feet for OT then Cosmi or Radunz. Not an immediate starter, but should quickly develop.

And, you should be 100% pleased with Carman, who projects to be a higher end Guard prospect than Cosmi or Radunz and WILL more than likely start the season at RG.

There's speculation Smith will need more development than just one year after missing basically the entire season and being down below 300 lbs at some point last year. He added weight to get above 300 this winter, but there's concern he might not be able to keep it on consistently.

We'll have to see.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 12:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's speculation Smith will need more development than just one year after missing basically the entire season and being down below 300 lbs at some point last year. He added weight to get above 300 this winter, but there's concern he might not be able to keep it on consistently.

We'll have to see.

^ A fair take!
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 08:58 AM)OSUfan Wrote: I could not agree more and I believe you are taking my statement out of context. I like what they did in the draft. My statement was in regard to another stating the X player is a sure thing when that just is not a fact at all. 

By the way D'Ante Smith may be one of my favorite selections in this draft. I believe he has the makings of being a very special lineman.

I got yah, agree on D'Ante. I love these Drafts where I don't know which pick is my favorite. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 12:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's speculation Smith will need more development than just one year after missing basically the entire season and being down below 300 lbs at some point last year. He added weight to get above 300 this winter, but there's concern he might not be able to keep it on consistently.

We'll have to see.

(05-08-2021, 02:53 PM)PDub80 Wrote: ^ A fair take!

That is what is so nice about the Reiff grab in FA. D'Ante can learn behind him and Jonah for a year to gain the added weight 
and experience. Pollack said he can also play Guard in a pinch, same as Carman. Seems a bit long for Guard but he has good 
technique to help him out.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 12:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Alaric Jackson went to the Rams as a UDFA. They think he has a good shot to make the team and also make an impact on gameday.

Yep, my point was he was a better prospect before he became a vegan, but he switched back and started to improve his strength and weight.  He could have been a day 2 pick, but that was a pretty dumb idea for an offensive lineman.  Makes me question how much he wants to play football just a bit.  
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2021, 12:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I like Carman as a guard. I've said that before.
However, if the Bengals had actually addressed guard properly in FA (which they clearly showed they had the ability to do given they have ~$25 mill in cap space still to work with), they wouldn't have needed to get a guy to play guard.

I am sure you don't mean Joe Thuney, since he got insane money.  Who did you have in mind?  And, remember, that money is likely going to be utilized to sign the likes of Hubbard and Bates to long-term extensions.  
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 10:59 AM)OSUfan Wrote: He really is not worth your time. He has changed names on here multiple times because of being banned from the boards. He has not point other than trying to insult others. Trust me not worth your time.

I haven’t changed my screen name or been banned from this board once. Your information is just as bad as some of your player evaluations.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 11:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Did he live up to his draft round and expectations? Definitely not.
However, he has been solid.
He probably should have gone in Rd 3, but people thought he would be better than he was.
He's still been way better than Ogbuehi and Fisher, so I would have preferred him over either of them if he was available at 21.

Thank you for confirming he isn’t a Top 10 franchise LT as suggested by some. Or even an OT.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2021, 12:22 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: And he should have been, unless someone just offered them a crazy ass deal to move up. When you have the opportunity in front of you to land one of those 3, it would have been foolish to pass it up without incredible compensation.

Where did I suggest they should trade out without adequate compensation?
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 09:31 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Where did I suggest they should trade out without adequate compensation?

You missed the point of my reply. You said:  'It was Tobin who was locked in on his “pic” of one of three players and refusing to view the draft any other way.' My point was that's how it should've been. His strategy was the right strategy, unless someone was willing to offer an insane overpay.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 10:16 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: You missed the point of my reply. You said:  'It was Tobin who was locked in on his “pic” of one of three players and refusing to view the draft any other way.' My point was that's how it should've been. His strategy was the right strategy, unless someone was willing to offer an insane overpay.

Then you missed the point of my reply to the accusation I was a Sewell or no one guy. I was open to the possibility of multiple players including trading back. Especially, if it included future picks next year due to this year’s draft evaluation uncertainty. But, I expected better results for the Oline at the start of the year. The Chiefs did more with less, for example.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 09:15 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am sure you don't mean Joe Thuney, since he got insane money.  Who did you have in mind?  And, remember, that money is likely going to be utilized to sign the likes of Hubbard and Bates to long-term extensions.  

Two things:
1) I didn't necessarily mean Thuney, but the Bengals do now have the money to have signed him had they been willing to part with certain veterans before FA started. Anyone as "low" as Zeitler and upward would have been fine.

2) The Bengals typically only use ~$5 mill or less of a current cap toward extensions. They are highly unlikely going to give Bates and Hubbard $10+ mill from the current cap. What I would expect more is that a good amount of the remaining cap will be rolled over to 2022.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-09-2021, 09:13 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yep, my point was he was a better prospect before he became a vegan, but he switched back and started to improve his strength and weight.  He could have been a day 2 pick, but that was a pretty dumb idea for an offensive lineman.  Makes me question how much he wants to play football just a bit.  

What do you mean it makes you question how much he wants to play football?
Wouldn't it be safe to assume he switched to a vegan diet because he thought it would make him healthier?
It wouldn't necessarily mean he isn't thinking about football.
In fact, the reason for switching could actually be because he thinks it would help keep him better conditioned.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 09:57 AM)ochocincos Wrote: What do you mean it makes you question how much he wants to play football?
Wouldn't it be safe to assume he switched to a vegan diet because he thought it would make him healthier?
It wouldn't necessarily mean he isn't thinking about football.
In fact, the reason for switching could actually be because he thinks it would help keep him better conditioned.

As an offensive linemen, the moment he started losing significant weight should have been a clue that it wasn't a good idea.  I just thought it was an odd choice.  And I didn't say that is absolutely the case, but it made me question it. 
Reply/Quote
(05-10-2021, 11:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: As an offensive linemen, the moment he started losing significant weight should have been a clue that it wasn't a good idea.  I just thought it was an odd choice.  And I didn't say that is absolutely the case, but it made me question it. 

Per this article, it states that Jackson still weighed 320 lbs this past year, he just lost body fat.

Quote:CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) - It’s not every day you see a football player, especially an offensive lineman, switch to a vegan diet. But that’s what Iowa senior left tackle Alaric Jackson did this offseason.

“To each his own, for the most part,” Jackson said on Tuesday. “I don’t think it’s unusual or anything. I’m just eating food instead of eating meat. Nothing really crazy.”
Jackson said that he still weighs 320 pounds, but just lost body fat. He told his coaches, and the strength and conditioning staff about his diet switch. So far, it seems to be working.
“From our perspective, we’re just trying to help him and coach him to make sure it works in the realm of the sport of football,” said interim strength and conditioning coordinator Raimond Braithwaite. “It’s a challenge, but it’s doable. I support him for becoming a vegan.”

https://www.kcrg.com/2020/10/11/iowa-offensive-lineman-alaric-jackson-switches-to-vegan-diet/

EDIT - Jackson also weighed 321 during postseason workouts, according to both NFL.com and his RAS. So I think the whole going-vegan thing is being blown way out of proportion.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

We'll have to see.

If the information I read was correct much of his weight loss had to do with COVID restrictions and not having the normal access to dining facilities and so forth as well as limited access to weight room equipment and things of that nature. Even at the 300 range he was around at the Senior Bowl he seems to play with natural strength.
Reply/Quote