Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF: Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done
(05-04-2021, 11:54 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I am pretty sure the football gods hate us so anything that can go wrong usually does.  I am also pretty sure Mike Brown will live to 105 and still be the GM of this team.

Hey, I thought Jonah was a great pick and one of the safest ones.

Man... I was wrong.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:50 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Do you see the weakness of your 7-9 prediction due to the offense or the defense or both equally bad?

BTW..I agree about the OL nd DL (trenches) need to work towards dominance. They are not close on either side of the ball yet.

I def have more questions about the defense. That said, this should be the year where we can truly gauge Zac's abilities on offense. He has literally everything he needs outside of the line, and the line - hopefully - shouldn't be so bad that it's excuse worthy.

We can probably safely judge Lou as well, although I'd say we have less talent on defense.

(05-04-2021, 11:38 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: How would you feel if say Jonah has a minor injury misses 2-3 games late. Reiff jumps to LT, Smith takes over at RT and looks pretty good in the short stretch. Carman takes over a G position and looks pretty good, and Hill starts early due to a Hopkins setback and plays really well as well?

I guess it'd depend on how dominant those guys looked, and for how long they were in. We've had some pretty bad linemen that looked good for a few games. Hopefully we wouldn't pass on a top Tackle prospect in 2022 because Smith looked good for 3 games.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:11 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I def have more questions about the defense. That said, this should be the year where we can truly gauge Zac's abilities on offense. He has literally everything he needs outside of the line, and the line - hopefully - shouldn't be so bad that it's excuse worthy.

We can probably safely judge Lou as well, although I'd say we have less talent on defense.

I guess it'd depend on how dominant those guys looked, and for how long they were in. We've had some pretty bad linemen that looked good for a few games. Hopefully we wouldn't pass on a top Tackle prospect in 2022 because Smith looked good for 3 games.

I loved our defensive picks.

I don't think we're going to be a top  10 defense, but I think we're going to be more consistent. We're deeper on defense than we've been in years. Honestly, I think on that side we just need somebody to make a few big plays throughout the year  and spark a few games.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:35 AM)Benton Wrote: I loved our defensive picks.

I don't think we're going to be a top  10 defense, but I think we're going to be more consistent. We're deeper on defense than we've been in years. Honestly, I think on that side we just need somebody to make a few big plays throughout the year  and spark a few games.

I feel like the only thing I'd like to see on the defensive side is a veteran linebacker. 
Reply/Quote
Defense should be interesting. We finally once again have pass rush ability both inside and outside on the DL and also pass rush from the secondary - which has been extensively retooled and now if they play their beloved zone we actually have people back there who are good in zone. We used both Free Agency and the draft to reload on defense so we are not in the spot we were last year where injuries forced us to play "players" like LeShaun Sims.

We actually did the same thing on offense, especially offensive line. We definitely improved RT and by taking 3 linemen we again reloaded and as such we are not likely to be again seeing MJ in the lineup. Carman also looks like he will be an excellent Guard and combined with XSF and Spain means our Guard room is not a disaster area. Smith, Johnson and Adeniji are the backup Tackle group at present and again it is solid.

My biggest reservation is Zac Taylor and Lou as coaches. Pollack I am not concerned about and he will coach up the picks just fine. But ZT and Lou? Eh....
Reply/Quote
Arguing over who they should have picked vs who they did? You can't undo a pick for a very long time and they should know that by now, but it's the Brown family.. It's like arguing they should pay us for being fans which I'm personally in favor of, but it ain't happening so there's no point in arguing about it.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I see a lot of maybes on that list.

Maybe Jonah can stay healthy.
Maybe Spain can return to form under Pollack.
Maybe Carman can be a stud guard.
Maybe we can re-sign Reiff.

I don't see anyone on the line (aside from 1 year Reiff) that is on the level of Jamarr Chase or even Tee Higgins. Yet.

And it’s not like we’re asking them to fix everything in one year. Just fix one thing. That’s been a problem for six seasons in a row. And was their #1 need entering this offseason. Just fix that one thing to protect your #1 weapon on offense (Burrow) and stop wasting Mixon’s talent and the money they’re spending on him.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:52 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The long haul does realistically is not addressed in a season or two. Jonah Williams is long haul and Carman is long haul. If Spain can return to previous form then he as well could be long haul. Trey Hopkins is only 28 so he as well could be long haul. If D'Ante Smith develops to half of his potential then he as well is long haul. 

Reiff was a signing to get them by until long haul could be addressed at RT. Who knows with the proper coaching Fred Johnson could be the long term answer at RT. If you go back to the Texans game he displayed some of the potential he has. 

You’re like that Spades partner that bids, “ I got one and five possibles.”
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:38 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: How would you feel if say Jonah has a minor injury misses 2-3 games late. Reiff jumps to LT, Smith takes over at RT and looks pretty good in the short stretch. Carman takes over a G position and looks pretty good, and Hill starts early due to a Hopkins setback and plays really well as well?

How many parlay bets is that? Three?
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 04:44 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: And it’s not like we’re asking them to fix everything in one year. Just fix one thing. That’s been a problem for six seasons in a row. And was their #1 need entering this offseason. Just fix that one thing to protect your #1 weapon on offense (Burrow) and stop wasting Mixon’s talent and the money they’re spending on him.
They had a plan to get better overall It did not align with your pic of Sewell or  noone is a good pick plan. As I studied the draft, it was very obvious, the OL position group was deeper than the WR group, there were no obvious #1 WR's after 1st 15 picks. So, they went Chase who is a stud and made our top 3 WR's group one of best in league. 

They signed a great pass protector in Reiff to start st RT. Then drafted an OL with pick 2 and by trading down got 2 additional picks in round 4.

I may mot agree with all the choices. but do agree with their draft strategy in 2021.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:16 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The more attention given to stopping receivers makes Mixon chomp at the bit!

I keep thinking about Mixon.  He is probably the most energetic guy we have on the roster when it comes to cheering for his team.  That sounds hokey, but when he was injured (haha) and he ran all the way down the field to jump on AJ Green after his game-winning TD against Atlanta in the final seconds...well, I will just say I liked it.

When you consider that the Bengals:

Paid him
Signed Pollack
Added the biggest guard (or damn near it) in the draft
Added a solid RT from FA
Released Gio (so maybe he might actually start being used as a receiver)
Added the hands-down best WR in the draft (Remember his tweet about stacking the box no mo?)
Signed his buddy and former OK teammate, Perine (Yes, it was the Texans, but it had to kill Mixon to see him go off for 95 yards on 13 carries and 2 TDs...He probably was seeing how those two changes at Guard made such a difference)
Added another solid blocking TE (Moss)

It says to me that they self-scouted enough to realize that they need to have more balance on offense, and a healthy Mixon can make that happen.  It might also sound hokey, but I would think the practice reps are going to be a lot better preparation with the defense as constructed now as opposed to the M*A*S*H unit they rolled out last year. 

The Browns really got their offense going by fixing their offensive line with better players and a better coach, which helped their rushing attack take off.  I am hoping the Bengals get a similar payback for their efforts there as well.  

I believe this offense as it sits can 30-burger any team in the league.  That is a bit optimistic given how awful they looked against the likes of Baltimore last year, and you can imagine they would have also struggled against the elite defenses like the Rams and Bucs, but they have had such a massive upgrade on the offensive line vs. what essentially started last year (XSF going down in week 1).  The addition of Chase.  They didn't lose any weapons outside of Gio.  Of course, it will all come down to the big guys (Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Boyd, Higgins, Sample, Uzo, Moss) being healthy, but combined with the aforementioned improvements for the rushing attack, this offense has me more excited than I was when the Bengals had Green in his prime.  
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 04:00 PM)Benton Wrote: If every thread relating to rookies and the draft is going to devolve into chase v sewell, we need to just make JN one big ol' mega thread.

Time for both sides to let it go and look forward to September.

No shit.  Some of the whining about the Chase selection makes me wonder if some folks would rather have Chase bomb just to prove they were right as opposed to seeing the team succeed.  

I wanted Chase, but selecting Sewell wouldn't have been "stupid, careless, mindless, etc".  It would have just been a different approach.  I am very excited to see what this young offense can do in 2021. The fact that they have ALL the young core of weapons (Chase, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon, Burrow) signed for at least 3 years is very exciting.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 08:56 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No shit.  Some of the whining about the Chase selection makes me wonder if some folks would rather have Chase bomb just to prove they were right as opposed to seeing the team succeed.  

I wanted Chase, but selecting Sewell wouldn't have been "stupid, careless, mindless, etc".  It would have just been a different approach.  I am very excited to see what this young offense can do in 2021. The fact that they have ALL the young core of weapons (Chase, Boyd, Higgins, Mixon, Burrow) signed for at least 3 years is very exciting.  

Right. And people can say what they want about win/loss records, nobody likes what happened the last 2 years, but I doubt anyone can criticize legitimately what Taylor is doing to rebuild this team. Bringing in solid vets from other winning NFL programs, drafting Captains and leaders from NCAA Championship teams, guys who know what it takes to win and who are used to winning, and getting rid of players who have been here so long they are used to losing. Bringing in players who hold themselves accountable and aren't just here to collect a paycheck. The future is bright. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 09:16 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right. And people can say what they want about win/loss records, nobody likes what happened the last 2 years, but I doubt anyone can criticize legitimately what Taylor is doing to rebuild this team. Bringing in solid vets from other winning NFL programs, drafting Captains and leaders from NCAA Championship teams, guys who know what it takes to win and who are used to winning, and getting rid of players who have been here so long they are used to losing. Bringing in players who hold themselves accountable and aren't just here to collect a paycheck. The future is bright. 

the team is building an good roster but none of the coaches have shown they know what to do with it yet. Not critizing his Roster but his abilities as a coach

after 3 years of dumping and replacing the roster... There should be no more excuses.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:00 AM)Benton Wrote: Hey, I thought Jonah was a great pick and one of the safest ones.

Man... I was wrong.

No, you weren't.  Bama rookies that are "spent" and underperform the first year (or get injured) is almost a proverb.  He rated a 70 according to PFF in (essentially) his rookie season and with a COVID offseason. He had an absolute turd storm next to him at LG.  Yes, he was injured again, but I think the future looks very bright for our LT.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 08:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: They had a plan to get better overall It did not align with your pic of Sewell or  noone is a good pick plan. As I studied the draft, it was very obvious, the OL position group was deeper than the WR group, there were no obvious #1 WR's after 1st 15 picks. So, they went Chase who is a stud and made our top 3 WR's group one of best in league. 

They signed a great pass protector in Reiff to start st RT. Then drafted an OL with pick 2 and by trading down got 2 additional picks in round 4.

I may mot agree with all the choices. but do agree with their draft strategy in 2021.

I didn’t have a “pic” of Sewell or “noone” so you’re wrong as usual. I would have been fine with trading down and drafting Slater, Darrisaw, or Vera-Tucker, and accumulating multiple picks to address multiple positions. It was Tobin who was locked in on his “pic” of one of three players and refusing to view the draft any other way.

And if you’re idea of a great strategic plan is to draft a projection with weight and injury concerns in the second round and apply a one year bandaid to the RT position making it a draft need again next year then I don’t think you understand strategic thinking.
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 09:19 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: the team is building an good roster but none of the coaches have shown they know what to do with it yet.  Not critizing his Roster but his abilities as a coach

Well, I guess we are going to see. He has his roster this year, so this is his make or break. 
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:35 AM)Benton Wrote: I loved our defensive picks.

I am all over the place with this defense.  I could talk myself in to them being a top 10 unit with a bunch of high-energy, relentless guys that have depth and talent on the defensive line now.  The LBs are a year older and will have a better offseason to prepare, plus they made a few more nice FA acquisitions to prevent the likes of a LeShawn Sims from ever seeing the field again. 

Then, I look at the question marks:  What is Tre Waynes?  Will he be even a solid option at outside CB?  Will the young pass rushers make an impact?  Will Reader start to look like what we thought we were getting?  The depth is massively improved, but there are still a lot of question marks.  I will say this, though:  they will probably have a lot more energy and enthusiasm with an offense that can attack you a number of ways and not always be going 3 and out.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 12:50 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I feel like the only thing I'd like to see on the defensive side is a veteran linebacker. 

With you 100%.  Not Bynes, necessarily, but someone a bit closer to their prime.  
Reply/Quote
(05-05-2021, 09:19 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: No, you weren't.  Bama rookies that are "spent" and underperform the first year (or get injured) is almost a proverb.  He rated a 70 according to PFF in (essentially) his rookie season and with a COVID offseason. He had an absolute turd storm next to him at LG.  Yes, he was injured again, but I think the future looks very bright for our LT.  

Well, you know what the say about top 11 draft picks. It’s usually their third year when they finally play in 16 cumulative games (fingers crossed.)
Reply/Quote