Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF: Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done
(05-04-2021, 06:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: But Pumpkin has 1 eye

It’s puff, puff, give, Craig.

You’re f’n up the rotation.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 06:31 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Case of beer says you’re selling yourself short. Because the first part of your sentence proves the second part wrong.

Hmm

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I said early in this process, your OL doesn’t have to be elite (it’s nice if it is) it just can’t be awful. The line shouldn’t be awful which means we shouldn’t lose games before we ever get off the bus. Now it’ll be on Burrow and the weapons to make it work, but if the line gives a league average performance the team has a shot.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: The best part is that PFF is the very publication who gave the Bengals a grade of F after their first round selection of Chase. After rounds 2-7, they are now complimenting the Bengals on their choices.

A lot of us were weary of the following rounds and how the rest of the first was going to play out. A lot of good tackles to the 2nd, which probably made it easier for the bengals to trade back. It also Madeira more expensive for NE to move up. I feel like another team moved up ahead of us and gave less. Those 2 4th round picks gave us a really good defensive piece and a high ceiling tackle that needs developing. If those 2 players become starters and good rotation pieces the Carman pick was really smart.

Of course, it can blow up in there face and the guys who were there can be all pros lol but let’s hope this works!
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 06:03 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You had me at “marginal improvements.”

we lost 11 games and tied 1. 6 of those games were one score games, "marginal improvements" wins at least half of those games puts us in the realm of 7-9 to 9-7 no one expects this team to make a deep playoff run this season but we should be getting close "marginal improvements" gets us close to playoff caliber, then you go all in to make a 2-3 year run at it.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 01:16 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Williams, who missed all of his 2019 rookie year due to injury, produced a blocking grade on true pass sets that ranked in the 87th percentile among tackles. Hopkins now ranks 14th in pass-blocking grade over the past two years among qualifying centers. To help out those two, the Bengals signed right tackle Riley Reiff, who was a Minnesota Vikings cap casualty. Last year, he produced a 73.8 PFF grade and ranked 15th among left tackles in pass-blocking snaps played per sack allowed (gave up just one in 2020).

It is weird that they used 3 different criteria for 3 players in the same position group on the same team in the same paragraph.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 06:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Objectively, this isn't enough for the long haul. I feel like if some on the Chase side could admit that, both sides wouldn't be debating so fiercely. It was nice to get Chase, but at least admit that we're kicking the can down the road for one more year. Hopefully we start trying to add stud lineman next year. I don't want "average", I want a couple guys like Whitworth and Zeitler.

Hopefully Carman develops into one of those, but we'll see. We have another year to hopefully find some diamonds in the rough. If it doesn't work, I'll be pounding the o-line drum again next year. For the 6th year in a row.

Well let me ask you this.

If the line goes from terrible to average(even if it's for this season as implied)wouldn't that be something?

A line that can block "average" mixed with a dominant receiving corps all over the field could increase rushing yards, higher percentage of completions, and oh yeah that thing...  um...  TDs!

Those coverage sacks and pressures should go down as well.

Just look on the sunny side man.  I know it's hard.  It can happen.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 04:00 PM)Benton Wrote: If every thread relating to rookies and the draft is going to devolve into chase v sewell, we need to just make JN one big ol' mega thread.

Time for both sides to let it go and look forward to September.

Here's the rub; more than one of the people that were "team Chase" are now bitching about the oline in other threads.

Personally, I was good either way. I like what the FO did. Ts, those that wanted the WR got him. Now plz quit whining in other threads because the FO drafted Carman to play G. 

You don't have a leg to stand on! Much like our QB last season.

As to OP; good positive post!
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: We haven't seen anything on the field yet. Team Chase celebrations was expected but the constant gloating when we really don't know if the gamble worked has gotten old already. 

The crying has gotten old as well. People need to be excited that the Bengals had a very good draft.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 07:36 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The crying has gotten old as well. People need to be excited that the Bengals had a very good draft.

I'm with you and I say that as a kid who watched the '80s Super Bowl and the terrible '90s. Optimism isn't always easy a Bengals fan, but this was a good draft (plus, this is the best time of the year to remain positive).

Let's hope Zac and co. can improve as coaches and do better with the talent added to the roster.
Reply/Quote
People need to look past Sewell v Chase. Regardless of opinion, Chase was the pick and that's the end of it. I completely agree with that. I also agree that on paper our OL looks like it could be average. What still needs to happen is much better OL depth. Another Williams injury and it's going to start going downhill.

I hope Carman is amazing. If he's half as good as some on here claim, it's going to be a great pick. I like the Hill pick a lot. We could certainly use an upgrade at C. Nothing against Hopkins, but an upgrade would be great. Everything on Smith says he's 1-2 years away from contributing. Doesn't make it true, but that is the popular opinion. If that's the case, that's not depth. Add in Jordan, Price, Sutherland, Johnson, and Prince, and I hope they sacrifice a live chicken or whatever it takes to keep the starters healthy. Otherwise, it's going to be another shit show on the OL.

The positive is that there will still be cuts. Hopefully this isn't the final OL and we can add some improvement to the depth chart.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 04:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The article from PFF says basically what I said after the draft, which is this should be an average OL. That is an improvement over a bad OL.
What people should not expect though is a dominant OL.

This OL mixed with the elite pass catchers and hopefully an improved defense should get this team around middle-of-the-pack in terms of record.

All Teams had strengths and weaknesses. Ravens awesome offensive line geared towards running game. Yet they don't have an elite WR group, just average and have a great TE

Bengals have an elite throwing QB throwing to an elite 3 WR set in Chase, Higgins and Boyd. Their OL was bad running and in pass protection in 2020. An average OL means better passing and run games adding Chase to the trio and Burrow hopefully all 16 games. Our new RT allowed 1 sack in 2020, that is huge.

Our offense will be much better in 2021, but still wish we would add Ertz to help entire offense.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yet a vast amount just cannot see it or just wish not to. For far too many it was Sewell or bust. I am a build from the trenches out guy but there is a truth to this draft that I have noticed a large amount of these boards do not wish to admit to. There was a single consensus #1 caliber WR in this draft...period. There was not a close second. There were highly rated WRs that will be compliments but they are not going to be do it all receivers. They are not built to run short crossing routes without getting smashed. They are edge threats that are not going to exploit the tough parts of the field.

Those same folks will also not admit that Rashawn Slater was really close to Sewell in talent and some even felt Slater was more refined and more NFL ready. The same folks don't have the vision to see that the game of a guy like Christian Darrisaw mirrors very closely to guys like Wirfs who anyone in their right mind would like to have on an O line.

Yes Jonah Williams has had injuries but he has shown his worth when he is on the field. Yes Reiff is on a one year deal but it is a one year deal that sets them up for an extension if things are working out. Trey Hopkins is a good center and should be even better with better play on each side of him. Those hating on Carman simply are not looking objectively at situation. He is a quality player and there is nothing in his history that would say otherwise. Spain over his career has actually graded pretty well until he was under the tutelage of Turner, who is trash as an O line coach.

I believe that a line of Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Carman, Reiff is one that could border on extremely good under a better line coach than Turner and thank goodness we got that.

I believe the jury is out of Fred Johnson. I don't think he has the feet to play LT at the NFL level but I do think under the proper coaching that he could be a pretty decent RT.

I believe they could have a really talented kid in D'Ante Smith. He has the foundation of height and length that cannot be developed along with athletic traits that can continue to be developed. He had already demonstrated some natural strength and nasty demeanor and that should continue to grow as he adds mass and strength in an NFL training program.

There are things to look forward to if people wish to see them.

I agree with everything you say here, but the bolded isn't true.  Chase was the consensus number 1 guy, but Waddle went 6 and Devonta was considered another guy in that tier.  

We just have to hope that they hit on some of these offensive line picks.  If Carman doesn't work out, we are right back where we were last year with the interior line - and that's bad,.
Reply/Quote
If you’re not excited about this upcoming season then there is something wrong with you.If this OL works out they way most people believe it will,then it would be above average.And if it is,then lookout because this offense will be red hot.Everything else is set for this offense.We just need this OL to be good.It will be fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 07:38 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm with you and I say that as a kid who watched the '80s Super Bowl and the terrible '90s. Optimism isn't always easy a Bengals fan, but this was a good draft (plus, this is the best time of the year to remain positive).

Let's hope Zac and co. can improve as coaches and do better with the talent added to the roster.

Dave Lapham ran through this in a podcast recently. 1988 Bengals Superbowl offensive line... Munoz was a 1st rounder.... every other starter was 5th or 6rh round or after.

I, too, was an 80s kid (1980)
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:27 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Dave Lapham ran through this in a podcast recently. 1988 Bengals Superbowl offensive line... Munoz was a 1st rounder.... every other starter was 5th or 6rh round or after.

I, too, was an 80s kid (1980)

The thing with that team was being able to run the ball and hit a lot of plays downfield in the passing game. Those are going to be very important areas this year as well, and I'm a lot more optimistic about both this year than I have been in awhile.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: All Teams had strengths and weaknesses. Ravens awesome offensive line geared towards running game. Yet they don't have an elite WR group, just average and have a great TE

Bengals have an elite throwing QB throwing to an elite 3 WR set in Chase, Higgins and Boyd. Their OL was bad running and in pass protection in 2020. An average OL means better passing and run games adding Chase to the trio and Burrow hopefully all 16 games. Our new RT allowed 1 sack in 2020, that is huge.

Our offense will be much better in 2021, but still wish we would add Ertz to help entire offense.

This is exactly it, unless you get Brady to keep everyone or draft like 7 starters every year you have to choose somethings to be lesser at. I think with Burrows strengths it makes sense to build a solid oline and put lots of talent in the skill guys(again look at Brady in Tampa). I think if we build a solid defense to go with it this could be the game plan going forward.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:19 PM)Beaker Wrote: The best part is that PFF is the very publication who gave the Bengals a grade of F after their first round selection of Chase. After rounds 2-7, they are now complimenting the Bengals on their choices.

That’s weird because on their draft coverage I watched it was all A’s and B’s for selecting Chase. A few said they should have taken Sewell, but they understood the Chase pick and that it certainly wasn’t wrong.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:48 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: That’s weird because on their draft coverage I watched it was all A’s and B’s for selecting Chase. A few said they should have taken Sewell, but they understood the Chase pick and that it certainly wasn’t wrong.

Yeah, it was BleacherReport that gave the F after the Chase pick. 
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:48 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: That’s weird because on their draft coverage I watched it was all A’s and B’s for selecting Chase. A few said they should have taken Sewell, but they understood the Chase pick and that it certainly wasn’t wrong.

Bleacher report is the website that gave the F.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote