Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF: Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done
(05-04-2021, 04:20 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Its funny, the pro Sewell crowd kept on banging the table 
For Penei Sewell over and over
But they never said why other than.running with what the 
National media said....It was just a general statement 
Without concrete reasons. Oh yeah they said he was another
Clone of Anthony Munoz.
Thing was Munoz was a traditional physical mauling
Run blocker..there was no spread offenses back in his say.
No 5 WR sets. 

I am 100% a build thru the trenches advocate. With that said there is no logical reason to degrade the selection of a talent like Ja'Marr Chase.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:06 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Yet a vast amount just cannot see it or just wish not to. For far too many it was Sewell or bust. I am a build from the trenches out guy but there is a truth to this draft that I have noticed a large amount of these boards do not wish to admit to. There was a single consensus #1 caliber WR in this draft...period. There was not a close second. There were highly rated WRs that will be compliments but they are not going to be do it all receivers. They are not built to run short crossing routes without getting smashed. They are edge threats that are not going to exploit the tough parts of the field.

Those same folks will also not admit that Rashawn Slater was really close to Sewell in talent and some even felt Slater was more refined and more NFL ready. The same folks don't have the vision to see that the game of a guy like Christian Darrisaw mirrors very closely to guys like Wirfs who anyone in their right mind would like to have on an O line.

Yes Jonah Williams has had injuries but he has shown his worth when he is on the field. Yes Reiff is on a one year deal but it is a one year deal that sets them up for an extension if things are working out. Trey Hopkins is a good center and should be even better with better play on each side of him. Those hating on Carman simply are not looking objectively at situation. He is a quality player and there is nothing in his history that would say otherwise. Spain over his career has actually graded pretty well until he was under the tutelage of Turner, who is trash as an O line coach.

I believe that a line of Williams, Spain, Hopkins, Carman, Reiff is one that could border on extremely good under a better line coach than Turner and thank goodness we got that.

I believe the jury is out of Fred Johnson. I don't think he has the feet to play LT at the NFL level but I do think under the proper coaching that he could be a pretty decent RT.

I believe they could have a really talented kid in D'Ante Smith. He has the foundation of height and length that cannot be developed along with athletic traits that can continue to be developed. He had already demonstrated some natural strength and nasty demeanor and that should continue to grow as he adds mass and strength in an NFL training program.

There are things to look forward to if people wish to see them.

The article from PFF says basically what I said after the draft, which is this should be an average OL. That is an improvement over a bad OL.
What people should not expect though is a dominant OL.

This OL mixed with the elite pass catchers and hopefully an improved defense should get this team around middle-of-the-pack in terms of record.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 04:25 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The article from PFF says basically what I said after the draft, which is this should be an average OL. That is an improvement over a bad OL.
What people should not expect though is a dominant OL.

This OL mixed with the elite pass catchers and hopefully an improved defense should get this team around middle-of-the-pack in terms of record.

I would factor in better blocking scheme fit for the personnel we have as well. It seemed very often that the reads from this line Turner were just off in comparison to how the defense was attacking.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 03:36 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I thought that was Bleacher Report.

Could have been. I may be mistaken. But the irony would have been delicious.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 04:28 PM)Beaker Wrote: Could have been. I may be mistaken. But the irony would have been delicious.

I don't know about PFF, but Bleacher Report definitely gave an F in real time when Chase was picked. They've since amended some of the webpages to say it isn't a reflection of Chase, but rather the Bengals making a poor decision.
Reply/Quote
After committing to improving the Oline this off season, it has the potential to be average?

Be still my beating heart because I’m not sure if it can handle that sort of excitement.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: After committing to improving the Oline this off season, it has the potential to be average?

Be still my beating heart because I’m not sure if it can handle that sort of excitement.

They could have committed more if they didn't have to also commit to the following:
- Finding a replacement for AJ Green
- Finding a replacement for Carl Lawson
- Finding a replacement for WJ3
- Finding a replacement for Mackenzie Alexander
- Improving the NFL's worst pass rush
- Improving on a bad run defense

The point is, they had more needs to address than just OL, so that's why OL wasn't as much as some people wanted.

Getting to average is fine when it's coming up from being one of the worst.
They can look to take it to above average next season when they (hopefully) won't have as many other needs.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: After committing to improving the Oline this off season, it has the potential to be average?

The one-eyed man is King in the land of the blind.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 04:20 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Its funny, the pro Sewell crowd kept on banging the table 
For Penei Sewell over and over
But they never said why other than.running with what the 
National media said....It was just a general statement 
Without concrete reasons. Oh yeah they said he was another
Clone of Anthony Munoz.
Thing was Munoz was a traditional physical mauling
Run blocker..there was no spread offenses back in his say.
No 5 WR sets. 

Posts like this are unfair and simply untrue.

I keep hearing it was the Sewell side that was insulting, but frankly both sides have been equally immature and insulting throughout.

This post insinuates that Sewell people are dumb and just relied on national pundits alone.

Plenty of people laid out FANTASTIC arguments on both sides. Lets just say we didn't agree and it's not because one side "thinks this is Madden" or "didn't provide good reasons".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote

Amen to this.

Like I said in another post, I get the excitement over Chase. Our WR's are now ELITE.

When do us o-line guys get to say the same? Certainly not now. We're being beaten over the head for not being elated with "average".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They could have committed more if they didn't have to also commit to the following:
- Finding a replacement for AJ Green
- Finding a replacement for Carl Lawson
- Finding a replacement for WJ3
- Finding a replacement for Mackenzie Alexander
- Improving the NFL's worst pass rush
- Improving on a bad run defense

The point is, they had more needs to address than just OL, so that's why OL wasn't as much as some people wanted.

Getting to average is goodwhen it's coming up from being one of the worst.
They can look to take it to above average next season when they (hopefully) won't have as many other needs.

Where’s Marvin when you need a t-shirt slogan? Too bad John Facenda isn’t around for the NFL Film’s edition of the Bengal’s 2021 season, “Getting to average is good.”

The autumn wind is average . . .
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The one-eyed man is King in the land of the blind.

Based upon Mike Brown’s results as a GM, he as blind as a f’n bat.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:40 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Where’s Marvin when you need a t-shirt slogan? Too bad John Facenda isn’t around for the NFL Film’s edition of the Bengal’s 2021 season, “Getting to average is good.”

The autumn wind is average . . .

smh. we were what the 30th ranked oline in football last year? getting to average should drop us around 16th ranked which would drop us right in the middle of some playoff teams for a team with a ton of holes to fill that IMO is a huge jump, i'm not saying it's amazing but it is a big step in the right direction, and remember Rome wasn't built in a day it takes a few years to see growth with a new system. Now if we don't see marginal improvements then burn it down but for now let's be happy they are looking in the right direction.
Reply/Quote
It's funny that some people think signing a stop gap average ot to a 1 year deal for cheap and spending 1 draft pick in the top 130 is exactly what we needed to do. It's laughable really

Oline is clearly weakest position grp on team and once again it will be highest priority of off-season next year. Hopefully it actually gets addressed next year.

We had so many holes to fill it's hard to fill them all but fixing oline should have had a much higher priority. It was all just lip service. We're putting a band aid on a bullet hole for the 2nd straight off-season.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:52 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: It's funny that some people think signing a stop gap average ot to a 1 year deal for cheap and spending 1 draft pick in the top 130 is exactly what we needed to do.  It's laughable really

Oline is clearly weakest position grp on team and once again it will be highest priority of off-season next year.  Hopefully it actually gets addressed next year.  

We had so many holes to fill it's hard to fill them all but fixing oline should have had a much higher priority.  It was all just lip service.  We're putting a band aid on a bullet hole for the 2nd straight off-season.

No one has said it's, "what we needed to do."

But they had too many needs to address everything.

They still have $15-20 mill to spend in the cap before signing draft picks. However, they freed it up too late, resulting in the FA pool being mostly dried up.
I wanted them to go get a guy at least in the $7 mill range at G to help solidify the OL, but they didn't.
I wanted them to sign an OT to a multi-year deal, not a 1-year deal. But that didn't happen.

With that said, if they went all in on OL, we'd be complaining that they didn't address pass catchers and/or DL.

That's what happens when you're a terrible team. Too many needs.
As such, it should be acceptable to make progressive strides.
Bad -> Average -> Good -> Elite
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:52 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: It's funny that some people think signing a stop gap average ot to a 1 year deal for cheap and spending 1 draft pick in the top 130 is exactly what we needed to do.  It's laughable really

Oline is clearly weakest position grp on team and once again it will be highest priority of off-season next year.  Hopefully it actually gets addressed next year.  

We had so many holes to fill it's hard to fill them all but fixing oline should have had a much higher priority.  It was all just lip service.  We're putting a band aid on a bullet hole for the 2nd straight off-season.

Objectively, this isn't enough for the long haul. I feel like if some on the Chase side could admit that, both sides wouldn't be debating so fiercely. It was nice to get Chase, but at least admit that we're kicking the can down the road for one more year. Hopefully we start trying to add stud lineman next year. I don't want "average", I want a couple guys like Whitworth and Zeitler.

Hopefully Carman develops into one of those, but we'll see. We have another year to hopefully find some diamonds in the rough. If it doesn't work, I'll be pounding the o-line drum again next year. For the 6th year in a row.
Reply/Quote
All draftee's can bust. There is no such thing as generational talent or whatever the sports writers try to cram up fans butts. Way too many great players who were predicted to set a new standard in the NFL and be the GOAT, fell flat on their faces once transitioning to the NFL. Bengals pulled out a great draft. I'm sure if they would have taken Sewell, they still might have but maybe not? It is what it is and any type of complaining now will not and cannot change the past. Heck, we're not even in a place to use hindsight 20/20 to figure if it was a great pick or not? I was team Sewell but my couch sittin ass is not smarter that the guys who pulled this draft off.

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:52 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: smh. we were what the 30th ranked oline in football last year? getting to average should drop us around 16th ranked which would drop us right in the middle of some playoff teams for a team with a ton of holes to fill that IMO is a huge jump, i'm not saying it's amazing but it is a big step in the right direction, and remember Rome wasn't built in a day it takes a few years to see growth with a new system. Now if we don't see marginal improvements then burn it down but for now let's be happy they are looking in the right direction.

You had me at “marginal improvements.”
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 05:45 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Based upon Mike Brown’s results as a GM, he as blind as a f’n bat.

But Pumpkin has 1 eye
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 06:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: All draftee's can bust. There is no such thing as generational talent or whatever the sports writers try to cram up fans butts. Way too many great players who were predicted to set a new standard in the NFL and be the GOAT, fell flat on their faces once transitioning to the NFL. Bengals pulled out a great draft. I'm sure if they would have taken Sewell, they still might have but maybe not? It is what it is and any type of complaining now will not and cannot change the past. Heck, we're not even in a place to use hindsight 20/20 to figure if it was a great pick or not? I was team Sewell but my couch sittin ass is not smarter that the guys who pulled this draft off.

Case of beer says you’re selling yourself short. Because the first part of your sentence proves the second part wrong.
Reply/Quote