Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF: Cincinnati did exactly what it should have done
(05-04-2021, 06:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Objectively, this isn't enough for the long haul. I feel like if some on the Chase side could admit that, both sides wouldn't be debating so fiercely. It was nice to get Chase, but at least admit that we're kicking the can down the road for one more year. Hopefully we start trying to add stud lineman next year. I don't want "average", I want a couple guys like Whitworth and Zeitler.

Hopefully Carman develops into one of those, but we'll see. We have another year to hopefully find some diamonds in the rough. If it doesn't work, I'll be pounding the o-line drum again next year. For the 6th year in a row.

The long haul does realistically is not addressed in a season or two. Jonah Williams is long haul and Carman is long haul. If Spain can return to previous form then he as well could be long haul. Trey Hopkins is only 28 so he as well could be long haul. If D'Ante Smith develops to half of his potential then he as well is long haul. 

Reiff was a signing to get them by until long haul could be addressed at RT. Who knows with the proper coaching Fred Johnson could be the long term answer at RT. If you go back to the Texans game he displayed some of the potential he has. 
Reply/Quote
I agree with their summation. Now they need to build from average to good but average is some much better than crap at this point in time.
Reply/Quote
The talk of the deep ball got me excited because, even though it admits that he wasn't perfect on those throws, he now has Chase, as well as a full year with the other guys, a better offensive line, and what will be a more established run game to keep defenses honest.

I gotta admit that I thought we were at least a year off and, while it may still play out that way, I'm getting excited about even watching this team!
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 07:07 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Well let me ask you this.

If the line goes from terrible to average(even if it's for this season as implied)wouldn't that be something?

A line that can block "average" mixed with a dominant receiving corps all over the field could increase rushing yards, higher percentage of completions, and oh yeah that thing...  um...  TDs!

Those coverage sacks and pressures should go down as well.

Just look on the sunny side man.  I know it's hard.  It can happen.

Dude I promise you I've never said this line isn't better than what it was. I do think it can/probably will be "average" this year.

I'm just a line guy. Have been for probably 10+ years now. So what you guys are feeling with Chase? I want to feel that way about the line.

I don't think this means I'm being negative, etc. I'm excited about our WR's and Burrow as much as anyone else.

I just want a line that dominates. I'm tired of it being the unloved stepchild of the offense.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:52 PM)OSUfan Wrote: The long haul does realistically is not addressed in a season or two. Jonah Williams is long haul and Carman is long haul. If Spain can return to previous form then he as well could be long haul. Trey Hopkins is only 28 so he as well could be long haul. If D'Ante Smith develops to half of his potential then he as well is long haul. 

Reiff was a signing to get them by until long haul could be addressed at RT. Who knows with the proper coaching Fred Johnson could be the long term answer at RT. If you go back to the Texans game he displayed some of the potential he has. 

I see a lot of maybes on that list.

Maybe Jonah can stay healthy.
Maybe Spain can return to form under Pollack.
Maybe Carman can be a stud guard.
Maybe we can re-sign Reiff.

I don't see anyone on the line (aside from 1 year Reiff) that is on the level of Jamarr Chase or even Tee Higgins. Yet.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 07:38 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: People need to look past Sewell v Chase. Regardless of opinion, Chase was the pick and that's the end of it. I completely agree with that. 

I hope Carman is amazing. If he's half as good as some on here claim, it's going to be a great pick.

Bam that's the spirit!

Let's goooooooooo!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:44 PM)Benton Wrote: Bam that's the spirit!

Let's goooooooooo!

As soon as we drafted him, I just moved on.  A+ player, maybe not my ideal pick, but an amazing talent.

Those guys are no longer draft picks, they are Bengals.

That being said, I hope they approach the offseason a little differently next year,
Reply/Quote
Wanted Sewell and will want OL 1st again next year.

That being said I think the Bengals had a solid draft that certainly improves them and they needed it.

Excited to see how this team looks yet still somewhat skittish about the OL.

But if Carman can plug right in while making the transition to Guard and with the addition of Reiff, it could workout.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Dude I promise you I've never said this line isn't better than what it was. I do think it can/probably will be "average" this year.

I'm just a line guy. Have been for probably 10+ years now. So what you guys are feeling with Chase? I want to feel that way about the line.

I don't think this means I'm being negative, etc. I'm excited about our WR's and Burrow as much as anyone else.

I just want a line that dominates. I'm tired of it being the unloved stepchild of the offense.

I don't think Pollack is a miracle worker by any means but any improvement in talent on than line and proper coaching will bring it up some notches.

Unless this team were heavy hitters in FA for offensive line I don't think they could swing from 30th to dominant by just drafting.

Reiff is nice but should've just been the start.

By the way.  Nothing makes me confident about this team.  From owner to HC and anyone in between.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
For one of the first times in a while...........

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=10135930]
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:00 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I don't think Pollack is a miracle worker by any means but any improvement in talent on than line and proper coaching will bring it up some notches.

Unless this team were heavy hitters in FA for offensive line I don't think they could swing from 30th to dominant by just drafting.

Reiff is nice but should've just been the start.

By the way.  Nothing makes me confident about this team.  From owner to HC and anyone in between.

I think we agree. We have a long way to go to be dominant. I wanted Sewell to be that first step, but we went elsewhere. I think this line can hold up ok for now. Enough for the offense to make some plays. I don't think Burrow will take the beating he did last year. Tbh, I think we're a 7-9 type of team at best regardless of who we took in the draft.

Anyways, next year I hope we'll start trying to add big pieces to the line. In the meantime, this offense could/should be fun to watch.

Tbh, as much as I'm "meh" about the line, I'm more worried about our coaching than anything else. This has to be a make or break year for Zac and Lou. We need to see some major steps. There's no reason this rebuild should take a decade.
Reply/Quote
So does this mean ZT and Duke are brainy smurfs, or no?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 08:37 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The  thing with that team was being able to run the ball and hit a lot of plays downfield in the passing game. Those are going to be very important areas this year as well, and I'm a lot more optimistic about both this year than I have been in awhile.

Well, and the no huddle.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think we agree. We have a long way to go to be dominant. I wanted Sewell to be that first step, but we went elsewhere. I think this line can hold up ok for now. Enough for the offense to make some plays. I don't think Burrow will take the beating he did last year. Tbh, I think we're a 7-9 type of team at best regardless of who we took in the draft.

Anyways, next year I hope we'll start trying to add big pieces to the line. In the meantime, this offense could/should be fun to watch.

Tbh, as much as I'm "meh" about the line, I'm more worried about our coaching than anything else. This has to be a make or break year for Zac and Lou. We need to see some major steps. There's no reason this rebuild should take a decade.

Do you see the weakness of your 7-9 prediction due to the offense or the defense or both equally bad?

BTW..I agree about the OL nd DL (trenches) need to work towards dominance. They are not close on either side of the ball yet.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think Sewell will be the next great OT. I don't think 10 years from now people will think this was the right decision, I could see us reaching for an OT after the impending disaster this year, but it will be a year too late most likely since it is rare to have a chance to draft an OT like him. I would compare Chase to someone like Torry Holt who was great but I still would rather have the next Orlando Pace.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think we agree. We have a long way to go to be dominant. I wanted Sewell to be that first step, but we went elsewhere. I think this line can hold up ok for now. Enough for the offense to make some plays. I don't think Burrow will take the beating he did last year. Tbh, I think we're a 7-9 type of team at best regardless of who we took in the draft.

How would you feel if say Jonah has a minor injury misses 2-3 games late. Reiff jumps to LT, Smith takes over at RT and looks pretty good in the short stretch. Carman takes over a G position and looks pretty good, and Hill starts early due to a Hopkins setback and plays really well as well?
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:38 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: How would you feel if say Jonah has a minor injury misses 2-3 games late. Reiff jumps to LT, Smith takes over at RT and looks pretty good in the short stretch. Carman takes over a G position and looks pretty good, and Hill starts early due to a Hopkins setback and plays really well as well?

If Jonah only misses 2-3 games, I think we can all chalk it up to a successful season.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 09:16 PM)wanga Wrote: I agree with their summation. Now they need to build from average to good but average is some much better than crap at this point in time.

That will come with QUALITY coaches.

Everyone wants quality players but are forgetting quality coaching.   Tiger
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 11:46 PM)Benton Wrote: If Jonah only misses 2-3 games, I think we can all chalk it up to a successful season.

I am pretty sure the football gods hate us so anything that can go wrong usually does.  I am also pretty sure Mike Brown will live to 105 and still be the GM of this team.
Reply/Quote
(05-04-2021, 10:09 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: For one of the first times in a while...........

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=10135930]

Eh... That's maybe not the best gif if you're trying to convey something positive  Hilarious

I'm 42. Kelly's "I'm so excited" traumatizes me to this day.
Reply/Quote