Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
PFF Final 2021 Offensive Line Rankings (Regular Season)
(02-21-2022, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm guessing this is just counting regular season...but our emotions are counting the playoffs.

The line was just below average in the first half of the season. It got much worse later on, and especially in the playoffs.

Maybe we just need to run it back with the same guys and hope they stay healthy and progress. Sike just playing, this line sucks and we need to drop a ton of money and picks on it.

Btw, 8 sacks for Jonah is atrocious.

If it were up to me I would replace all five linemen. 74 sacks is horrible.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 01:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm guessing this is just counting regular season...but our emotions are counting the playoffs.

The line was just below average in the first half of the season. It got much worse later on, and especially in the playoffs.

Maybe we just need to run it back with the same guys and hope they stay healthy and progress.

Sike just playing, this line sucks and we need to drop a ton of money and picks on it.

Btw, 8 sacks for Jonah is atrocious.

It's pretty amazing that he gave up 8 sacks. He generally grades out well.

Interestingly, in the analysis on Reiff it said that he gives up quick pressures.
Reply/Quote
I know it's foolish to use any single source as a guide to judge players, but Tom Compton's grade (49ers RT) really stood out at 86.4. He's credited with 573 snaps, so he wasn't exactly playing spot duty. He's a journeyman who's approaching his 33rd birthday, and he's an UFA.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 01:41 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wouldn’t go TE that high in this draft, but DT/DE/CB could all be good options in that spot. Maybe we’ll get lucky and the BPA will be OL anyway though.

Over the last 5 years, 14 linemen have been selected between picks 31-39:

PFF grades are from 2021

T - Cam Robinson - Jags - 67.4
T - Ryan Ramczyk - Saints - 84.1
T - Jawaan Taylor - Jags - 60.4
T - Kalen McGary - Falcons - 62.8
C - Austin Corbett - Browns - 68.8 (with Rams)
G - Will Hernandez - Giants - 55.9
G - Braden Smith - Colts - 80.6
G - James Daniels - Bears - 71.0
G - Robert Hunt - Dolphins - 67.4
G - Landon Dickerson - Eagles - 67.3

The only real flops have been:

T - Cody Ford - Bills - 46.4
T - Tevin Jenkins - Bears - 47.5
G - Forrest Lamp - Chargers - 49.4 in 2020

Tbh I think we're in a great spot to land a solid starter. Almost all of these guys plugged in and have started since drafted.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Over the last 5 years, 14 linemen have been selected between picks 31-39:

PFF grades are from 2021

T - Cam Robinson - Jags - 67.4
T - Ryan Ramczyk - Saints - 84.1
T - Jawaan Taylor - Jags - 60.4
T - Kalen McGary - Falcons - 62.8
C - Austin Corbett - Browns - 68.8 (with Rams)
G - Will Hernandez - Giants - 55.9
G - Braden Smith - Colts - 80.6
G - James Daniels - Bears - 71.0
G - Robert Hunt - Dolphins - 67.4
G - Landon Dickerson - Eagles - 67.3

Tbh I think we're in a great spot to land a solid starter. Almost all of these guys plugged in and have started since drafted.

Well, us whiffing on guys even earlier than that (Price, Ogbuehi) isn’t exactly reassuring. But hopefully we finally hit on one there if we do go OL. Maybe we’ll get lucky and Linderbaum will drop due to size concerns or something.

I’d also consider Will Hernandez a total flop. Dude is terrible, and mid 50’s is replacement level.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, us whiffing on guys even earlier than that (Price, Ogbuehi) isn’t exactly reassuring. But hopefully we finally hit on one there if we do go OL. Maybe we’ll get lucky and Linderbaum will drop due to size concerns or something.

I’d also consider Will Hernandez a total flop. Dude is terrible, and mid 50’s is replacement level.

Fair enough. 9 our of 14 ain't bad odds though.

The players are there, it's just a matter of if we pick Braden Smith or Greg Little.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Well, us whiffing on guys even earlier than that (Price, Ogbuehi) isn’t exactly reassuring. But hopefully we finally hit on one there if we do go OL. Maybe we’ll get lucky and Linderbaum will drop due to size concerns or something.

Wild to think that Will has been in the league four seasons already. I remember the draft analysis around him, and I remember liking him. His rookie contract is up this year and he has never lived up to his rookie season performance, if PFF grades are to be trusted. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:09 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Wild to think that Will has been in the league four seasons already. I remember the draft analysis around him, and I remember liking him. His rookie contract is up this year and he has never lived up to his rookie season performance, if PFF grades are to be trusted. 

The Giants have been even worse than us at developing OL in recent years. Although it looks like Andrew Thomas is going to be really good. Nice bounce back for him after a rough rookie season.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The Giants have been even worse than us at developing OL in recent years. Although it looks like Andrew Thomas is going to be really good. Nice bounce back for him after a rough rookie season.

Interestingly enough, Price was almost passable this season. He played nearly 1000 snaps and had a 62 grade. Not great, certainly replacement level but better than he ever performed here. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:16 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Interestingly enough, Price was almost passable this season. He played nearly 1000 snaps and had a 62 grade. Not great, certainly replacement level but better than he ever performed here. 

Yeah, I had heard he was playing halfway decent up there. But then just the other day I saw a clip online of him falling down completely untouched that was just shockingly bad. It made Drew Sample look like an Olympic athlete.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 10:39 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Reiff's injuries hurt his numbers and thought he did a good job.

But his injury was very predictable with his history. Would like to have him back if he comes at a slightly cheaper price tag.

In this year's case, it was a guy diving at his ankle (drawing a flag) that caused it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 02:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ******

T*****

It is interesting that during the 2021 draft quite a few posters were upset the Bengals passed on Tevin Jenkins. 

I really think there's no merit in going back and lamenting that the Bengals didn't draft this particular OT/OG/OC or that particular one. It's easy to go back and say the Bengals made a mistake in not drafting Creed Humphrey or Christian Barmore. But that's only because we have 20/20 hindsight. A lot of teams passed on such OL and had flops like Tevin Jenkins listed higher on their draft boards. 

Going back and lamenting what ifs serves little purpose. We should be grateful that the Bengals got a couple of homeruns in Ja'Marr Chase and Evan McPherson, two that fueled a trip to the Super Bowl. 
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:39 PM)Nepa Wrote: It is interesting that during the 2021 draft, quite a few posters were upset the Bengals passed on Tevin Jenkins. 

I really think there's no merit in going back and lamenting that the Bengals didn't draft this particular OT/OG/OC or that particular one. It's easy to go back and say the Bengals made a mistake in not drafting Creed Humphrey or Christian Barmore. But that's only because we have 20/20 hindsight. A lot of teams passed on such OL and had flops like Tevin Jenkins listed higher on their draft boards. 

Going back and lamenting what ifs serves little purpose. We should be grateful that the Bengals got a couple of homeruns in Ja'Marr Chase and Evan McPherson, two that fueled a trip to the Super Bowl. 

Basically, looking back on everything is foolish as we can't change it.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 10:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-get-mike-browns-guy-an-inside-look-at-their-pursuit-of-jackson-carman

Hopefully, MB will have been slapped in the face with a skunk enough times now to realize it smells bad. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:39 PM)Nepa Wrote: Going back and lamenting what ifs serves little purpose. We should be grateful that the Bengals got a couple of homeruns in Ja'Marr Chase and Evan McPherson, two that fueled a trip to the Super Bowl. 

Definitely a good way to look at it. And if Ossai wasn’t just a flash in the pan last preseason we could potentially have 3 impact players from that draft class. You do that consistently and you will have a championship team.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Hopefully, MB will have been slapped in the face with a skunk enough times now to realize it smells bad. 

Paul Alexander works with these guys...then recommends them to the Bengals.

It's like if you move out of a haunted house and then invite the ghost to live in your next house...
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 08:26 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: For those that don’t want to click the link:

20. CINCINNATI BENGALS (UP 2)

LT Jonah Williams | 77.9
LG Quinton Spain | 72.3
C Trey Hopkins | 51.4
RG Hakeem Adeniji | 48.4
RT Riley Reiff | 67.3

The Bengals' offensive line is vastly improved from a season ago, but the last few weeks of the regular season showed how fragile that is — and how quickly it can become a problem if injuries arise. Jonah Williams has been impressive at left tackle, earning a 77.9 PFF grade, even if he has a tendency to lose badly when he does lose (he has allowed eight sacks).

Quinton Spain has played some of his best football, and there were other positive contributors, but not one member of the line played all 17 games, and the play of the backups has been problematic in some cases. Of the 11 players the team has used for 50 or more snaps, seven of them carry sub-58.0 PFF grades.

Get Adeniji the frick outta the starting lineup is all I can say. For the life of me I just cannot understand Pollack starting 
this guy over Carman who makes splash blocks that can give us the edge like in the AFC Championship on the Perine TD.

Bring in James Daniels, Andrew Norwell and Morgan Moses or something like it. No excuses as top OL will want to block
for Joe and Joe.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 03:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Get Adeniji the frick outta the starting lineup is all I can say. For the life of me I just cannot understand Pollack starting 
this guy over Carman
who makes splash blocks that can give us the edge like in the AFC Championship on the Perine TD.

Bring in James Daniels, Andrew Norwell and Morgan Moses or something like it. No excuses as top OL will want to block
for Joe and Joe.

I think all 3 of Pollack, Taylor, and Callahan are accountable for that one. I seriously doubt a position coach makes that decision on his own when it comes to the Super Bowl.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I think all 3 of Pollack, Taylor, and Callahan are accountable for that one. I seriously doubt a position coach makes that decision on his own when it comes to the Super Bowl.

True. It was a huge mistake by all of them and it might of cost us the game. I know Carman is inconsistent but at least he 
isn't just consistently bad like Adeniji is. I have hope for Carman and D'Ante Smith, I honestly don't know about Adeniji after
what he showed, he plays way too high with poor technique.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 04:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True. It was a huge mistake by all of them and it might of cost us the game. I know Carman is inconsistent but at least he 
isn't just consistently bad like Adeniji is. I have hope for Carman and D'Ante Smith, I honestly don't know about Adeniji after
what he showed, he plays way too high with poor technique.

They should just cut Adeniji. He’s really not even good enough to be a backup.

Reply/Quote