Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PFF O-line ratings
I totally agree with what Pollack says in the article below. Here is a piece of it.. We are in a totally in open competition in practice and preseason ( sounds like it will not be decided till the 1st week of season). Interesting he pointed out ALL the guards did things well and also make mistakes...

“We won't have a set lineup until the night before we play the Colts,” Pollack said after Saturday’s practice. “It’s only been one pre-season game. Still have three more to go. It’s way too early to anoint anybody. A lot of competition. Then get in the season and you have to hold your job.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-report-o-line-still-in-flux-eifert-shines-wrs-on-the-move
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 12:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I totally agree with what Pollack says in the article below. Here is a piece of it.. We are in a totally in open competition in practice and preseason ( sounds like it will not be decided till the 1st week of season). Interesting he pointed out ALL the guards did things well and also make mistakes...

“We won't have a set lineup until the night before we play the Colts,” Pollack said after Saturday’s practice. “It’s only been one pre-season game. Still have three more to go. It’s way too early to anoint anybody. A lot of competition. Then get in the season and you have to hold your job.”

https://www.bengals.com/news/camp-report-o-line-still-in-flux-eifert-shines-wrs-on-the-move

Good article. Guess Pollack doesn’t put any stock in PFF either. LOL

Reply/Quote
Last year, we kept

2 Centers
4 Guards
3 Tackles

If we follow suit this year, I can see us keeping

2 Centers, Proce & TJ Johnson
4 Guards, Boiling, Westerman, Redmund, & Hopkins

But if we keep 3 Tackles again, I can only see us keeping 2 guys currently on the roster: Glenn and Hart

Taylor's out for the year
Ced, Fisher, & Perkins are not good.

So, I think we should look to bring in another OT. Will we? Probably not. We'll probably keep Fisher.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 08:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Supposedly, Westerman and Redmond had big blocks there.  Redmond was stonewalling his guy for much of the time he played.  The rest of the line would get pushed back and he just flat stayed put, engaged with his guy.  However, he was blown by on one pass protection (guessed wrong?) and, although he stayed with his guy (I liked that) and shoved him past Dalton, it was a big whiff initially.  He also had the bad false start.  

Not ready to give up on Redmond but need to see him stone the opponent's #1s in the preseason.  Maybe he will get his shot, also.  

And as down as I was on Bobby Hart (everything I read showed poor play as a Giant), he seems to be the frontrunner for RT.  Apparently, he played through an ankle injury for a large part of last season.  Some friction came because he didn't want to play the final game of the season as they were long eliminated because of the ankle injury.  I don't know, I would have real problems with any team that sat Eli Manning for Geno Smith.

Pollack faced him twice a year and liked him.  He is also just 23 years old.  

Yeah, agree with everything as usual Racer. Hart surprised me in a great way honestly.

I honestly do not care how it shapes up if Hart is the best RT, have him there, but i still like the thought of our
Line thoughts with Boling at LT, Westerman LG, Price C, Redmond RG, Glenn RT.

I think Pollack ought to do this and do it soon. As good as Hart looked at RT, it is no Cordy Glenn and we get
both Westerman and Redmond on the field at the same time at their proper positions.

(08-12-2018, 08:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Clearly deserves a:  "That's what she said"

It was even dirtier the first time i said it, had to edit. Damn football terms can sound nasty. Mellow

(08-12-2018, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Losing initially on a play isn't the end of the world, even good OL get beat from time to time.  It's going to happen, you just try to learn from each mistake.  The fact that he recovered, and caught up with the play is not only a sign of quality coaching, but a credit to the player's pride and tenacity.  OL that have the determination to follow a play to the end, rarely get beaten by the same player repeatedly.

Great post.

(08-12-2018, 11:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Completely agree, but I was a little bummed that it was a backup that got him on a simple swim move.  You're right, though, as how many times have we seen Og just look at his guy go kill Dalton or a RB?  I love Redmond's attitude and Westerman and Price seem to be cut from the same cloth.  Not trying to sound douchey, but I don't want a group of pacifists out there.  I want the front five to want to overpower and demoralize their opponent.  

Have to have the attitude. This is why i have no hope for Ogbuehi. The WANT is what wins Superbowls.

Doesn't matter about talent.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 12:36 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I totally agree with what Pollack says in the article below.  Here is a piece of it.. We are in a totally in open competition in practice and preseason ( sounds like it will not be decided till the 1st week of season).  Interesting he pointed out ALL the guards did things well and also make mistakes...

I love the open mindedness, we just need to get our Lineup and get that chemistry going sooner IMO.

Boling - Westerman - Price - Redmond - Glenn

Do it Pollack, give that a try, could be great.
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 03:56 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Just saw a tweet that Westerman was the highest rated Bengal O-lineman in last night's game.

Wonder how the Bengals graded it.

[Image: DkbbNrAV4AAzkA2.jpg:large]

Went ahead and edited an image of the rankings into your post.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:07 PM)treee Wrote: Went ahead and edited an image of the rankings into your post.

Looks like Ced was our 4th best according to PFF. Fisher and Perkins were worst by far and Price was mediocre.

Either way, we have a lot of OL work to do and may the best men win starting jobs and roster spots.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I prefer to rely on my own eyes to evaluate talent. Besides, “PFF!” is the sound a fart makes.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:20 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I prefer to rely on my own eyes to evaluate talent.  Besides, “PFF!” is the sound a fart makes.

You got some weak farts mate. Get some meat and beer in your diet! 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Looks like Ced was our 4th best according to PFF. Fisher and Perkins were worst by far and Price was mediocre.

Either way, we have a lot of OL work to do and may the best men win starting jobs and roster spots.

Our first unit had 2 TDs  in their real 2 series with no line penalties or sacks, I dont think it is despair just yet.
Reply/Quote
52.9. Grade for Hopkins. Looks like PFF agreed with me. Meow
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:07 PM)treee Wrote: Went ahead and edited an image of the rankings into your post.

Wondered where that came from. Thanks. Made it a better post.
Reply/Quote
To my knowledge PFF is little more than an opinion site. They definitely aren't coaching any team and make zero decisions for teams and probably have a considerable amount of bias towards certain teams and players. In short just another group of pundits which amounts to relatively nothing in the grand scheme of things. 
Sure, you can base your own opinions on whatever PFF says, that's your choice as a fan, but again, they in no way are in any way, shape or form ever going to take or be responsible for any team or players performance.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 08:40 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Losing initially on a play isn't the end of the world, even good OL get beat from time to time.  It's going to happen, you just try to learn from each mistake.  The fact that he recovered, and caught up with the play is not only a sign of quality coaching, but a credit to the player's pride and tenacity.  OL that have the determination to follow a play to the end, rarely get beaten by the same player repeatedly.

That's the thing Sunset !

I couldn't tell you how many times I've seen Ogbuehi whiff or flat out just get beat and then just stand there like a knot on a log. "ok, you guys take this one Imma just watch until the next play"

Westerman deserves a shot at starting RG in the next game for sure.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:20 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I prefer to rely on my own eyes to evaluate talent.  Besides, “PFF!” is the sound a fart makes.

Only polite women farts sound like that.

But funny and get the gist. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Our first unit had 2 TDs  in their real 2 series with no line penalties or sacks, I dont think it is despair just yet.

Completely agree.  I've watched the game twice now, some good things by everyone and some bad things by everyone. 1st unit looked good pass blocking, but not as good run blocking just yet. IMO, I wasn't impressed by Hopkins, he should be replaced Westerman or Redmond. Hart is clearly better than anyone else at RT, that I saw. I know we have talked about Redmond at RT, but seeing him play, I don't think he is athletic enough. More of a phone booth kind of guy. 
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 03:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I love the open mindedness, we just need to get our Lineup and get that chemistry going sooner IMO.

Boling - Westerman - Price - Redmond - Glenn

Do it Pollack, give that a try, could be great.

I know it's naïve of me, but I'm with you on this Nate.  I'm disappointed that they don't give it a shot, and I'm disappointed that Westerman's just going to be buried behind Boling while Hopkins is mediocre on the right.

I appreciate Essex's really nice breakdown, and he is clearly a more knowledgeable guy than I am, but I just don't have any confidence in Hopkins.

Armchair coaching is easy to do though.  I admit it.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:44 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Our first unit had 2 TDs  in their real 2 series with no line penalties or sacks, I dont think it is despair just yet.

I was not projecting despair, I was thrilled with our OL starting unit. My point was even though we did extremely getting the 2 TD's fan favorites Price and Fisher over Ced. were graded worse.

I am not hating on Price, he is a rookie and I think in time turns into an all pro center, I was just pointing out the numbers and as I have said numerous times in numerous threads, Fisher and Perkins look a lot worse than Ced right now. Yet, many ignore it because they hate Ced.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 07:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That was a well designed and perfectly executed play.  Westerman did a great job on the pull, and pick up of his man.  That is the type of thing we haven't seen around here, in a while.

Redmond also owned his guy to create that hole
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:39 PM)Sweetness Wrote: You got some weak farts mate. Get some meat and beer in your diet! 

Hilarious ThumbsUp

(08-13-2018, 01:09 PM)3wt Wrote: I know it's naïve of me, but I'm with you on this Nate.  I'm disappointed that they don't give it a shot, and I'm disappointed that Westerman's just going to be buried behind Boling while Hopkins is mediocre on the right.

I appreciate Essex's really nice breakdown, and he is clearly a more knowledgeable guy than I am, but I just don't have any confidence in Hopkins.

Armchair coaching is easy to do though.  I admit it.

We will see, i just am giving my honest opinion on what looks like to me would be the best Lineup with the players
at their area of strengths. Boling played LT pretty darn well those last two games, played LT in college. Westerman
is clearly a LG and pretty much everyone is agreeing on this. Redmond is a mauling RG that just needs to work on
his pass protection and Glenn would be that monster RT to dominate on the right side.

Just makes sense to me.

I like Hopkins as a backup, a versatile backup.
Reply/Quote