Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF - OL pressures in AFCCG
Good job to Carman. Not only playing well but playing well in the 2 biggest games of the season. I think you almost have to see if Jonah can fit somewhere else on the line if JC proves he can continue playing LT. Get value out of both of them and we know JC can’t do guard well.
Reply/Quote
Yikes at those numbers.

It's why I can't spend today obsessing over the officiating. You're not going to win in the playoffs with an offensive line performing like that. And even if they had somehow squeaked out a win last night, good luck playing the Eagles defensive front.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've always thought that Jonah might be a better RT, but it depends on Collins and how healthy he is, and what they do with him. Besides the ACL/MCL, he also had back problems all year. 

Carman will be the most popular o-lineman on the team until the first snap next year.  He took advantage of his opportunity like nobody expected.

I have no idea what it would cost to move on from La'el Collins next year.  Jonah is apparently locked in for another season.  Without a long-term deal, Jonah will have no choice but to swallow his pride and play whatever position the give him in camp.  I'd stick him at RT and find out what he can do.  

Barring laziness or stupidity on the offseason, Carman would be my starting LT at the beginning of camp.  He'd be on notice just like Jonah.  One screwup and he's back on the bench with a capable vet ready to step back into the LT spot.  

I think Volson will be fine with more development.  I look for him to take another big step forward in 2023.  

I'd consider drafting a tackle in the second or third round to develop for 24.  I don't think Collins or Williams will be Bengals at that point.  
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought Scharping was a pretty good investment as a backup (former starter and all). Man what a disappointment he turned out to be.

He looks lost and confused out there...like he's a rookie seeing his 1st NFL action. For such a massive guy, he also gets pushed around far too easily. It was hard to watch him and Adeniji get constantly beat and manhandled last night. 
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:55 PM)wcu Wrote: Thanks for posting.  It does make you wonder if the team changes its opinion on Carman after playing well the last two weeks, but with a severely limited sample size.  I doesn't seem like Jonah Williams is the long term answer at LT.

Sadly, it looks like if the right side of the OL had played even slightly below average, we might have had a shot.  Instead, Adeniji becomes the poster child of our defeat again.  Surely he's gone after this debacle.

Limited but playing 2 of the top 5 defensive teams in the league under very pressurized situations.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:12 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I've always thought that Jonah might be a better RT, but it depends on Collins and how healthy he is, and what they do with him. Besides the ACL/MCL, he also had back problems all year. 

If they keep Jonah he is going to cost 12.6 million for the 2023 season.  I would much rather use that money toward a stud free agent RT instead of keeping Jonah and hoping he could make the transition to RT.  Let Carman take over LT.

If you get a stud free agent RT you could also get rid of Collins and his 8 million dollar contract.  Getting rid of Williams and Collins would save 19.6 million toward the 2023 cap
Reply/Quote
This is an excellent thread. Thanks to all of you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: So Jonah to RT in that scenario?

Naw Jonah to free agency

Where he will undoubtedly go to a division rival and become Andrew Whitworth because why not
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:42 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If they keep Jonah he is going to cost 12.6 million for the 2023 season.  I would much rather use that money toward a stud free agent RT instead of keeping Jonah and hoping he could make the transition to RT.  Let Carman take over LT.

If you get a stud free agent RT you could also get rid of Collins and his 8 million dollar contract.  Getting rid of Williams and Collins would save 19.6 million toward the 2023 cap

There’s no “if” they keep Jonah. They picked up his 5th year option.

Reply/Quote
If Scharping and Adeniji had played equal to Carman last night, we win by at least 11 points.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
Jonah doesn’t SUCK

BUT…does he ain’t worth 12 million a year.

Maybe he tests the market and comes back at a better price

Imo 6-7 million is fair because he has been a day 1 starter but he’s too injury prone and took a step back this year protection wise. We need to get off that athlete at tackle shit we love. Those guys need to be STRONG MEN
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s no “if” they keep Jonah. They picked up his 5th year option.

Oh so we’d have to cut him

I kinda see us doing that

Just too much money gotta get spent this off-season
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:47 PM)Housh Wrote: Naw Jonah to free agency

Where he will undoubtedly go to a division rival and become Andrew Whitworth because why not

They already picked up Jonah’s 5th year option. It would cost the full $12 million in dead cap to cut him.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/jonah-williams-29046/

Reply/Quote
All I know for sure is we were an Oline away from going back to the Super Bowl and they've got to fix that.

Adeniji is not the answer as a backup, neither is Scharping I'm afraid. Williams isn't hot garbage but he's not that great either. Who knows when or if Collins can get back ?

Priority #1 this offseason is Oline as far as I'm concerned.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:42 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: If they keep Jonah he is going to cost 12.6 million for the 2023 season.  I would much rather use that money toward a stud free agent RT instead of keeping Jonah and hoping he could make the transition to RT.  Let Carman take over LT.

I think 5th year options are fully guaranteed.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They already picked up Jonah’s 5th year option. It would cost the full $12 million in dead cap to cut him.

They could trade him and have zero cap hit.  Also someone in another thread mentioned something about that 5th year option not being guaranteed just yet. Although I'm not sure how true that is.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They already picked up Jonah’s 5th year option. It would cost the full $12 million in dead cap to cut him.

May as well try him at RT at this point because he's not good enough for an LT. Collins will likely not be back to start next year and I assume will miss most of it
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:53 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I can't believe our effing o-line effed us again for the 2nd effing year in a row. Dammit!!!!!!!!

3 reserves will do that but as mentioned Carman did pretty good.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:38 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Yikes at those numbers.

It's why I can't spend today obsessing over the officiating.  You're not going to win in the playoffs with an offensive line performing like that.  And even if they had somehow squeaked out a win last night, good luck playing the Eagles defensive front.

I was telling friends during the game that neither Bengals or KC will have an easy time against a very stout Eagles team.  Bengals did not play especially well against KC or against Ravens and I think Burrow needs to view film on how disguised defenses are giving him slow reads.  Bengals could have won, I thought they would go on down field and score FG and win.  They certainly were out of sorts.  They did not have composure.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
Unless Collins is back early and ready to go, I assume Carman, Volson, Karras, Cappa and Williams. And that the Bengals take a RT in Rd 1 or Rd 2 (Future RT after Williams contract expires).

What they do with Collins will be interesting - appears to be some cap savings if they move on from him ($5M dead cap hit over 2 seasons instead of $18M cap hit if he remains a Bengal for the rest of his contract)
Reply/Quote