Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF - OL pressures in AFCCG
(01-31-2023, 03:19 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm still confused why we never even entertained him or anyone. Like he played not so great to end the season, but at the very least considering he can play decently enough at many OL positions that he was never signed.

As for Volson I thought he played pretty well in the Championship game. It was the right side that failed us.

Drafting Volson, signing Cappa and with younger guys already on the roster, i'm betting that they simply decided to go that way and might have entertained signing him if he was really needed. They seem to be trying to stay as young as possible. 

I do wonder, since he didn't play at all last year, if he would be willing to sign, knowing he'll be coming off the bench, only when needed?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:20 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: They aren’t cutting Mixon

I didn't say they will. I'm just saying they could.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 03:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Carman - 3 total pressures, 0 sacks. 64.7 pass block grade
Volson - 2 total pressures, 0 sacks. 48.4 pass block grade
Karras - 2 total pressures, 0 sacks. 58.1 pass block grade
Scharping - 9 total pressures, 2 sacks. 23.7 pass block grade
Adeniji - 7 total pressures, 3 sacks. 38.0 pass block grade

So for those that felt Carman actually did solid last night, PFF agrees with you.
They gave Carman the highest pass block grade on the team.

They tagged Scharping and Adeniji for 5 sacks and 16 total pressures between the two.
Their pass blocking grades reflect that, as they are both under 40.

they had a gameplan to attack our weakness...

And it worked
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 01:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't say they will. I'm just saying they could.

Sure they could but they won’t.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Adeniji and Sharping have to go. I really thought Sharping would be a great asset but he was released be the TEXANS I guess for a reason!
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 02:32 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Sure they could but they won’t.

Well that's their choice, but I (and some others) think it's a potential way to improve the team.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:03 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Don’t know why so many so called sports experts were so confident we would win that game. The past 3 KC games were all close even when we were healthy. I knew our line wouldn’t play as well as they did the week before. I was really hoping it would snow in KC. We need to fix not just the Oline but D line too. We couldn’t get to a gimpy damn QB, I know they held a lot but still. Fix the ****** lines or it won’t matter who is throwing/catching the ball.

I would let Carmen compete at LT with Williams, or see if Williams can transition to RT. We need some Oline depth. It sucks to finally have the Oline gel only to go down just before the playoffs.

Agreed. Totally terribly timed injuries when the guys had gelled and been healthy most of the year.
The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have. Vince Lombardi
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 02:50 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Well that's their choice, but I (and some others) think it's a potential way to improve the team.

I’m not debating the merits I’m just giving MHO that he’s a untouchable .
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 03:45 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not debating the merits I’m just giving MHO that he’s a untouchable .

Nothing against you, but I don't really care if the Front Office considers a player untouchable.
If I personally think moving on from a player could improve the team, I'm going to propose that as a potential option for discussion on a message board.
Because ultimately nothing we say on here is going to impact what the team chooses to do or not do.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 03:48 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Nothing against you, but I don't really care if the Front Office considers a player untouchable.
If I personally think moving on from a player could improve the team, I'm going to propose that as a potential option for discussion on a message board.
Because ultimately nothing we say on here is going to impact what the team chooses to do or not do.

Oh no worries. I get your thought process. Several agree with you that that’s a good direction. JMHO that it’s horribly unlikely.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I wonder if Carman could steal the LT job away from Jonah in camp?

Carman - Jonah - Karras - Cappa - Collins

Or maybe a high draft pick at RT, and cut Collins. Keep developing Volson, and have him first off the bench at guard.

That might be the plan this next season. What is great about Volson is he can play every position on the OL but Center.

Carman coming along was the best thing to happen to us, Adeniji failing like that in the biggest moment was the worst.

Oh well, with that many backups playing on the OL we were bound to struggle against a good Chiefs DL.

It can be fixed. Karras, Cappa and La'el are still really good players. Cappa was fantastic this season before going down.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That might be the plan this next season. What is great about Volson is he can play every position on the OL but Center.

and people continue to think Volson is the second coming of Munoz once again

fine guard. Leave him there
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: and people continue to think Volson is the second coming of Munoz once again

What the hell are you talking about? No one is saying anything like that at all. The dude is versatile, and this is the truth.

You were wrong about both Volson and Carman, saying they both suck and you gave up on Carman before the season ever
started. You said Carman was a bust. Pretty dumb to quote me as saying Volson is versatile and then say I am proclaiming him 
the second coming of Munoz.Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:38 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: and people continue to think Volson is the second coming of Munoz once again

I wouldn't call him "fine". Serviceable at best, but if everyone is healthy; I'd say he's the worst starter on our team and we should look to upgrade or hope he improves drastically. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What the hell are you talking about? No one is saying anything like that at all. The dude is versatile, and this is the truth.

You were wrong about both Volson and Carman, saying they both suck and you gave up on Carman before the season ever
started. You said Carman was a bust. Pretty dumb to quote me as saying Volson is versatile and then say I am proclaiming him 

He actually gave Volston more credit than I would. Volston is not a very good starting OG. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: What the hell are you talking about? No one is saying anything like that at all. The dude is versatile, and this is the truth.

never said Volson sucked. I said he is ok. Not bad, but not good. 

Carman has only played 2.5 games, and yes he played fine. Didnt think him at LT would be an option. Guess I was wrong, but it's not even guaranteed he'll be a starter next year
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He actually gave Volston more credit than I would. Volston is not a very good starting OG. 

Yeah, and you cannot even spell Volson's name correctly. Ninja Hilarious

(01-31-2023, 06:51 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: never said Volson sucked. I said he is ok. Not bad, but not good. 

Carman has only played 2.5 games, and yes he played fine. Didnt think him at LT would be an option. Guess I was wrong, but it's not even guaranteed he'll be a starter next year

Okay, guess we are all good then Frank. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:29 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I thought Scharping was a pretty good investment as a backup (former starter and all). Man what a disappointment he turned out to be.

The Texans didn't want him. I knew he would be trash
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 10:44 PM)Tony Wrote: The Texans didn't want him. I knew he would be trash

It’s the Texans, they make more bad decisions than good. That one checks out though.

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 06:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That might be the plan this next season. What is great about Volson is he can play every position on the OL but Center.

Would be pretty happy with Volson as a versatile backup to the Gs spots. I still think that the best way to upgrade this line in FA this year is by signing one of the good Cs that are going to be FAs this year and moving Karras back to LG.

(Pre-disclaimer that I know PFF isn't gospel, but I think it's largely pretty okay at getting a general grasp of at least a simple good-or-bad.)
Free Agent Cs (PFF's C Ranking, out of 38):
CLE, Ethan Pocic (3rd)
NYJ, Connor McGovern (10th)
MIN, Garrett Bradbury (11th)

We're pretty much stuck with Jonah/Carman at LT in 2023, so after a C upgrade actually upgrading two spots on the OL, then draft a RT on day 1 or 2 of the draft. It wouldn't be an ideal OL, but it'd be another step forward and at least you'd have fully good IOL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote