Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
PFF - OL pressures in AFCCG
(01-30-2023, 11:33 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Experience has shown me when offenses completely shut down for entire halves of games, it's not a very reliable offense.

Ask Colts fans if they think worrying about an offense shutting down for entire halves is struggling to find evidence. Then ask Falcons fans. That's Matt Ryan's entire legacy, shutting down for a half.

Why not just ask Bengal fans how their team did in the games you cited? Why would they give 2 shits about Matt Ryan?

I really haven't tracked what you guys are debating; I'm simply saying when folks start using partial games to support a point; they're struggling to support that point. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why not just ask Bengal fans how their team did in the games you cited? Why would they give 2 shits about Matt Ryan?

I really haven't tracked what you guys are debating; I'm simply saying when folks start using partial games to support a point; they're struggling to support that point. 

We don't need a replacement Fred.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:57 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: They could trade him and have zero cap hit.  Also someone in another thread mentioned something about that 5th year option not being guaranteed just yet. Although I'm not sure how true that is.

I could have sworn i read by Goodberry or the like, that the 5th year option is only guaranteed for injury so if he can pass a physical, he can be cut (or option recinded) though I'm no expert on that.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:46 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: We don't need a replacement Fred.

Well then quit trying. He was well known for cherry-picking stats to prove his feeble point. 

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:54 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well then quit trying. He was well known for cherry-picking stats to prove his feeble point. 

He was also known for injecting himself into conversations solely for the sake of arguing with no real care to discussing what was actually being discuessed so he could derail the thread.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Even when the team had a healthy O-line they were not all that good.  They finished #22 in sacks allowed which is an improvement from last year but that is still in the bottom 1/3 of all NFL teams.  

The team simply needs better talent in front of Burrow.  Jonah gave up a league high number of sacks, Volson struggled and Collins was inconsistent and often injured.  Those 3 spots on the O-line need addressed before next season or else it's going to be the same thing as the last 2 years.  Burrow getting hit left and right with little time to let routes develop with virtually no running game expecting Burrow to make miracles.

To be fair there was a lot of change at the position. They were really awful early on, got significantly better as the season went on then suddenly we were smacked with injuries bad late in the year.

Also Jonah got hurt what a few games into the season as well?

I'm not against picking up new pieces, but our starters if they stay healthy aren't bad. My biggest question mark is RT, but I feel like if Carman is going to play like he did in the playoffs then him and Jonah can be the book end tackles next year. Just got to hope one of the 2 can play on the right side.

Also Volson played solid IMO and people are wanting to kick him to the bench?
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 11:57 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He was also known for injecting himself into conversations solely for the sake of arguing with no real care to discussing what was actually being discuessed so he could derail the thread.

No argument or attempt to derail (really don't see how you jumped to that). 

Just a simple observation that when folks use portions of a game to support their point; they're reaching. 

Really no need to start with the insults. There used to be a member in this forum who'd often resort to personal attacks when he had nothing left to grasp. 

Are you sure you're not being exactly what you attempted to use as an insult?

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 12:26 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: To be fair there was a lot of change at the position. They were really awful early on, got significantly better as the season went on then suddenly we were smacked with injuries bad late in the year.

I'm not against picking up new pieces, but our starters if they stay healthy aren't bad. My biggest question mark is RT, but I feel like if Carman is going to play like he did in the playoffs then him and Jonah can be the book end tackles next year. Just got to hope one of the 2 can play on the right side.

Volson wasn't very good.  At the same time, he did show improvement as the year went along and I personally feel the team should commit to him at LG next year.  OL have to play to get better.  If you're drafting OL, you have to stick with them through the struggles and let them develop.  

He wasn't good, but he was serviceable enough.  You can be perfectly fine if a guy like Volson is the 5th best guy on your OL.  If he's one of your top 3, like he was after the late season injuries, you're going to have problems.
Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:40 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: He looks lost and confused out there...like he's a rookie seeing his 1st NFL action. For such a massive guy, he also gets pushed around far too easily. It was hard to watch him and Adeniji get constantly beat and manhandled last night. 

It's kind of funny but Spain was tweeting at the Bengals that he'd be ready to go next year if needed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 03:11 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's kind of funny but Spain was tweeting at the Bengals that he'd be ready to go next year if needed. 

I'm still confused why we never even entertained him or anyone. Like he played not so great to end the season, but at the very least considering he can play decently enough at many OL positions that he was never signed.

As for Volson I thought he played pretty well in the Championship game. It was the right side that failed us.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 12:26 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: To be fair there was a lot of change at the position. They were really awful early on, got significantly better as the season went on then suddenly we were smacked with injuries bad late in the year.

I don’t see anyone “wanting” to bench him. I merely entertained the idea of moving Jonah to guard (which I think he’d excel at) if Carman becomes a real option at LT. It’s more about it being a potential upgrade than Volson being bad. He was decent for a rookie, and I’d be fine with him at LG going forward.

Reply/Quote
(01-30-2023, 04:07 PM)Science Friction Wrote: He should not have been on the plane ride home.

With his quick feet and ability to pull well, he did pretty decent in Jumbo packages.
I'd even give him a whirl at FB in short yardage. 
Reply/Quote
I hate this for Joe Borrow! He takes the blame for these losses but in truth this OL has cost this team and Burrow a chance at something special two years in a row. I don’t understand how this FO can be okay with seeing Joe go through that the last three years. The Chiefs signed Orlando Brown , Joe Thuney and through the draft have built Mahomes a wall to sit behind. Can we go get an elite OL already
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 04:14 AM)Bengals731 Wrote: I hate this for Joe Borrow! He takes the blame for these losses but in truth this OL has cost this team and Burrow a chance at something special two years in a row. I don’t understand how this FO can be okay with seeing Joe go through that the last three years. The Chiefs signed Orlando Brown , Joe Thuney and through the draft have built Mahomes a wall to sit behind. Can we go get an elite OL already

Well when you lose your starting RT, LT and RG in successive games the line blocking is going to suffer. Our line of three backups, a rookie and only one established player caught up to us. Had we still had our starters we win easily. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 04:29 AM)Joelist Wrote: Well when you lose your starting RT, LT and RG in successive games the line blocking is going to suffer. Our line of three backups, a rookie and only one established player caught up to us. Had we still had our starters we win easily. 

Or maybe just a little bit of depth on the OL would be nice too
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 04:38 AM)Bengals731 Wrote: Or maybe just a little bit of depth on the OL would be nice too

We have a LOT of depth on the OL - but NO TEAM has multiple reserve OL that just step in and stop high end pass rushers. It's called depth for a reason - they aren't starters. Unfortunately we've had the right side of our OL wrecked in back to back seasons by injuries - remember last season Reiff got hurt right when postseason started and EVERY Guard on the roster was playing hurt. 

Now if you want to try to figure out why we keep having our OL wiped out by injuries that might be a better question. Is it conditioning, coaching, drafting players made of glass? 
Reply/Quote
How about
Cut Collins (will he even be healthy when the season starts? And even if he is, how effective will he be? He already struggled moving laterally)
Sign McGlinchey to play RT. He locked great this year, and will become a FA. SF has other guys to pay so he'll likely be a cap casualty. Plus, Mike Brown really loved him a few years ago when he was entering the draft, that may mean something.
Let Scharping walk. I don't think he's the worst backup option, but he doesn't do anything someone cheaper can't do. Thank you, next.
Draft someone in the mid-late rounds to develop. I'd like to go corner in the first round, but obviously never reach just for need.

Starters: Williams, Volson, Karras, Cappa, McGlinchey
Bench: Carman (swing tackle, 6th OL), Smith, Adeniji, (draft pick), Brown (G/C)
Build a great wall up front to protect Burrow!
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 04:47 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: How about
Cut Collins (will he even be healthy when the season starts? And even if he is, how effective will he be? He already struggled moving laterally)
Sign McGlinchey to play RT. He locked great this year, and will become a FA. SF has other guys to pay so he'll likely be a cap casualty. Plus, Mike Brown really loved him a few years ago when he was entering the draft, that may mean something.
Let Scharping walk. I don't think he's the worst backup option, but he doesn't do anything someone cheaper can't do. Thank you, next.
Draft someone in the mid-late rounds to develop. I'd like to go corner in the first round, but obviously never reach just for need.

McGlinchey is going to cost a lot, and that's assuming he isn't retained by the 49ers.
However, the Bengals can get back a pretty significant cap amount by cutting Collins and Mixon.
Mixon - $7.2 mill
Collins - $6 mill
Total - $13.2 mill

The Bengals could look to do these moves to cover the cost of McGlinchey for 2023 while still keeping Jonah Williams in his 5th year option.
Then, in 2024, Jonah's freed up money covers McGlinchey while Carman (or a new draft pick) takes over LT full-time.

Also, absolutely not to having Adeniji back on the team next year. Dude is terrible.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 04:47 AM)BuildTheWall Wrote: How about

Mike McGlinchey is going to be a hot commodity in Free Agency. A team like the Bears who desperately need good veteran Offensive Tackles and have tons of money to spend could really give alot to a guy like McGlinchey.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2023, 11:16 AM)ochocincos Wrote: McGlinchey is going to cost a lot, and that's assuming he isn't retained by the 49ers.
However, the Bengals can get back a pretty significant cap amount by cutting Collins and Mixon.
Mixon - $7.2 mill
Collins - $6 mill
Total - $13.2 mill

The Bengals could look to do these moves to cover the cost of McGlinchey for 2023 while still keeping Jonah Williams in his 5th year option.
Then, in 2024, Jonah's freed up money covers McGlinchey while Carman (or a new draft pick) takes over LT full-time.

Also, absolutely not to having Adeniji back on the team next year. Dude is terrible.

They aren’t cutting Mixon
Reply/Quote