Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
PFF ranks Zac Taylor #22 of 26 NFL head coaches
(06-27-2022, 10:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  I say 5th in the AFC, 8th is about right for Taylor.

Do you guys agree?

Yes, finishing 5th in the AFC (1st in the Division, 8th in the NFL) in margin of victory is about right for Zac.

But that's not what you said before corrected. You said:

Quote:The pattern is that he can't put a team away.  Best he can do is hang close and hope he gets the breaks at the end of the game.

and also said

Quote:Everywhere else in the football world an easy win by a large margin is more impressive than pulling one out in the last seconds.  In fact many power rating calculations use "margin of victory" to help determine which teams are superior. Only in Bengal land are the best coaches rated by how few points he can win by.

and then said:

Quote:Yet some people still claim we should be considered favorites to make it to the Super Bowl because Taylor won a lot of close games.

when presented with the facts that Zac was #1 in the division, #5 in the conference, and #8 on the NFL in margin of victory
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes, finishing 5th in the AFC (1st in the Division, 8th in the NFL) in margin of victory is about right for Zac.

But that's not what you said before corrected. You said:

and also said

and then said:

when presented with the facts that Zac was #1 in the division, #5 in the conference, and #8 on the NFL in margin of victory

I have never been corrected on anything.

It is 100% true that a larger margin of victory is generally considered better than winning close games.  Next time someone claiming Zac is the best coach because he won the most close games please remind them of this.

And I agree #5 in the AFC is about right for Zac based on what he has done so far.  But I also believe that we should (will) finish a lot higher than #5 in the AFC this year.
Reply/Quote
Just to be clear.

Just because I was talking about point differential at the same time I was talking about Taylor being about #5 in the AFC that does not mean that point differential is only way to judge a coach.
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have never been corrected on anything.

Of course you were. You said:

Quote:Best he can do is hang close and hope he gets the breaks at the end of the game.
This was corrected by pointing out he was 1st in the division, 5th in the conference, and 8th in the NFL in margin of victory.

In what world is that: " hang close and hope he gets the breaks at the end of the game."?

No one expects you to concede the point, but then again, no one takes you seriously. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-27-2022, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No one expects you to concede the point, 

Will all of you concede the point that winning a bunch of close games is not a sign of a great coach because great caoches win by bigger margins?

(06-27-2022, 11:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: but then again, no one takes you seriously. 

You don't understand.  I don't do this for ME.  I do it for ALL OF YOU.  I give you something different.  I give you entertainment.  I am a giver. 

And I admit that I am not perfect.  Sometimes I just try too hard or give too much.  I can't help it.  That's just the way I am.
Reply/Quote
(06-25-2022, 11:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still. We only allowed Mahomes and the Chiefs Offense 3 points in the 2nd half in BOTH games where we played them. 

That is quite an accomplishment IMO.

Our Defense did suck in both first halves against them but it is how you finish after all.

How many of those games quoted were from the first part of the season, when the Chiefs and Mahommes looked way out of sync?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-28-2022, 12:16 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Will all of you concede the point that winning a bunch of close games is not a sign of a great coach because great caoches win by bigger margins?

Didn't we pistol whip Baltimore and Shitsburgh twice each last season....and easily handle Detroit and Las Vegas? 

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 10:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: How many of those games quoted were from the first part of the season, when the Chiefs and Mahommes looked way out of sync?

Four of the six. Here is Mahomes average passer rating, broken down into halves (as best as I can).

Weeks 1 - 9 - 94.2
Weeks 10 - 18 - 105.58

The Chiefs had a late bye week, but here is Mahomes before and after the bye week.

Before BYE - 95.28
After BYE - 107.53

EDIT - Four of those games were in weeks 1-9, not three.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 10:21 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Three of the six. Here is Mahomes average passer rating, broken down into halves (as best as I can).

Weeks 1 - 9 - 94.2
Weeks 10 - 18 - 105.58

The Chiefs had a late bye week, but here is Mahomes before and after the bye week.

Before BYE - 95.28
After BYE - 107.53

Thank you! So half of them. I figured 4 or 5 of the games mentioned were in that stretch of bad play. They sure turned it around.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 10:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: Thank you! So half of them. I figured 4 or 5 of the games mentioned were in that stretch of bad play. They sure turned it around.

Yeah, I was off by one game. Four of those games were in weeks 1 - 9, not three. Counting is hard. 
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 10:21 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Didn't we pistol whip Baltimore and Shitsburgh twice each last season....and easily handle Detroit and Las Vegas? 

(06-29-2022, 10:21 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Four of the six. Here is Mahomes average passer rating, broken down into halves (as best as I can).

Weeks 1 - 9 - 94.2
Weeks 10 - 18 - 105.58

Before BYE - 95.28
After BYE - 107.53

Fred is so funny. One moment it’s the talent that turned the culture around and the winning then when we just win 6-8 last games with 6 of them vs playoff teams by field goals it’s the coaching. Back when Marvin was here it was always the players I bet.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 10:12 AM)Wyche Wrote: How many of those games quoted were from the first part of the season, when the Chiefs and Mahommes looked way out of sync?

KillerGoose answered for me Wyche. Wink

(06-29-2022, 10:21 AM)Wyche Wrote: Didn't we pistol whip Baltimore and Shitsburgh twice each last season....and easily handle Detroit and Las Vegas? 

Yes we did and conveniently ignored by Fred.

He likes to play down Zac's good season big time where he came into his own as a HC. 

(06-29-2022, 10:21 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Four of the six. Here is Mahomes average passer rating, broken down into halves (as best as I can).

Weeks 1 - 9 - 94.2
Weeks 10 - 18 - 105.58

Before BYE - 95.28
After BYE - 107.53

Thanks KG. ThumbsUp

(06-29-2022, 10:22 AM)Wyche Wrote: Thank you! So half of them. I figured 4 or 5 of the games mentioned were in that stretch of bad play. They sure turned it around.

Yes, we played Mahomes and Andy Reid when they were at their best and beat them.

The Chiefs have no excuses.

(06-29-2022, 11:03 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Fred is so funny. One moment it’s the talent that turned the culture around and the winning then when we just win 6-8 last games with 6 of them vs playoff teams by field goals it’s the coaching. Back when Marvin was here it was always the players I bet.

Whatever suits him at the time. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 11:03 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Fred is so funny. One moment it’s the talent that turned the culture around and the winning then when we just win 6-8 last games with 6 of them vs playoff teams by field goals it’s the coaching. Back when Marvin was here it was always the players I bet.

None of this makes any sense.

The talent did change the culture and the proof is that we had zero "winning culture" for two seasons under Taylor until we got more talent.

As for the rest of your post it is just gibberish.  I have always said that our weakness last years was mainly o-line (players) not coaching.  Why do you just make stuff up in your head like this and claim I said it?
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 06:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: None of this makes any sense.

The talent did change the culture and the proof is that we had zero "winning culture" for two seasons under Taylor until we got more talent.

As for the rest of your post it is just gibberish.  I have always said that our weakness last years was mainly o-line (players) not coaching.  Why do you just make stuff up in your head like this and claim I said it?

The talent bolstered by Taylor’s insistence on drafting captains, players that loved ball, free agents from winning teams, and extremely high character players was a huge recipe. You’ve never acknowledged it in those terms and everybody on this board bar none agrees with me. You are on your perch and your lonely island. You mentioned that the close wins were not indicative of good coaching as good coaches win decisively yet they blew you up when the Bengals had a high margin of victory. You need to research more Fred and go less on memory. Happens to all of us. Hope that helps
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 09:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: You’ve never acknowledged it in those terms and everybody on this board bar none agrees with me.

I don't care who agrees with you.  The only reason you bring it up to me 100 times every day is that it drives you crazy that the actual evidence proves I am correct.  

(06-29-2022, 09:05 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  You mentioned that the close wins were not indicative of good coaching as good coaches win decisively yet they blew you up when the Bengals had a high margin of victory. 

Nobody blew up anything I said.  I agree that #5 in the AFC is about right for Taylor.  How about you?  That is where he ranked in point differential.
Reply/Quote
(06-29-2022, 10:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't care who agrees with you.  The only reason you bring it up to me 100 times every day is that it drives you crazy that the actual evidence proves I am correct.  

Nobody blew up anything I said.  I agree that #5 in the AFC is about right for Taylor.  How about you?  That is where he ranked in point differential.

I’m going to nominate you for entertainer of the year lol

Reply/Quote