Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PRICE
As long as he doesn't have to hike the ball to John Ross, we should be ok.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 04:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I feel pretty confident about that.  I'm going to have to go off topic in order to explain why I feel that way, so please bear with me for a moment.

About a month ago I changed jobs, leaving the only engineering firm I've ever worked for, for another company that offered me a better position.  My manager at my old job had been my primary instructor in college, and then my daily mentor for the past seven years.  Leaving the company had zero to do with said manager, but more to do with the project engineer for the civil division of the firm chasing clients away with his Long Island attitude.

Anyway, former manager and I speak on the phone about twice per week.  Today, I mention to him that my new job is about to get exciting, as they are going to put a load of responsibility on me, that I've not yet had to undertake thus far in my surveying career.  Mark (former mgr.) says that he's going to be in town today, asks me to join him for lunch.  We have lunch, along with a good conversation about lots of things, new work included.  I explain the project that I'm being assigned, he explains similar ones that I pretty much did most of the work on, under his charge.  He even goes so far as to ask me to email him the deeds, for him to read over, should I get hung up on anything.

Why would he do this?  Not because he's heartbroken that I moved on and he misses me.  But, because I'm his student.  How I perform under pressure in the world is a reflection of his teachings.  The last thing he wants is for one of his students to fail, at anything.

That is why I feel like it would do Billy Price a lot of good to have a conversation with his college coach.

Reminder, let's keep the thread on topic.  Oh wait, that's your job, sorry.   Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 05:31 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Reminder, let's keep the thread on topic.  Oh wait, that's your job, sorry.   Hilarious

Hey, I pre-apologized in the preamble of my ramble, for being about to go off topic.

So up yours pal!  I've got a message to deliver..   Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 04:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I feel pretty confident about that.  I'm going to have to go off topic in order to explain why I feel that way, so please bear with me for a moment.

About a month ago I changed jobs, leaving the only engineering firm I've ever worked for, for another company that offered me a better position.  My manager at my old job had been my primary instructor in college, and then my daily mentor for the past seven years.  Leaving the company had zero to do with said manager, but more to do with the project engineer for the civil division of the firm chasing clients away with his Long Island attitude.

Anyway, former manager and I speak on the phone about twice per week.  Today, I mention to him that my new job is about to get exciting, as they are going to put a load of responsibility on me, that I've not yet had to undertake thus far in my surveying career.  Mark (former mgr.) says that he's going to be in town today, asks me to join him for lunch.  We have lunch, along with a good conversation about lots of things, new work included.  I explain the project that I'm being assigned, he explains similar ones that I pretty much did most of the work on, under his charge.  He even goes so far as to ask me to email him the deeds, for him to read over, should I get hung up on anything.

Why would he do this?  Not because he's heartbroken that I moved on and he misses me.  But, because I'm his student.  How I perform under pressure in the world is a reflection of his teachings.  The last thing he wants is for one of his students to fail, at anything.

That is why I feel like it would do Billy Price a lot of good to have a conversation with his college coach.

That is the way to be, sounds like a great mentor, congrats on the new job man. :andy:
Reply/Quote
He played one season at center at Ohio State, and the NFL is an entirely different ball game, so, while snapping may be the same (which he's still relatively new at after 3 years at guard in college and only one at center), he has to do it while thinking of all of the line calls and adjustments he has to make, all while getting ready to do his own job.

Plus, the quarterback and center have to get used to each other and comfortable with the hand-to-ass connection, so I'm not worried about it.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 06:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He played one season at center at Ohio State, and the NFL is an entirely different ball game, so, while snapping may be the same (which he's still relatively new at after 3 years at guard in college and only one at center), he has to do it while thinking of all of the line calls and adjustments he has to make, all while getting ready to do his own job.

Plus, the quarterback and center have to get used to each other and comfortable with the hand-to-ass connection, so I'm not worried about it.

Like someone else said, if it's still going on come preseason game #3, then we need to be concerned.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 06:13 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: He played one season at center at Ohio State, and the NFL is an entirely different ball game, so, while snapping may be the same (which he's still relatively new at after 3 years at guard in college and only one at center), he has to do it while thinking of all of the line calls and adjustments he has to make, all while getting ready to do his own job.

He’s a first round draft pick. Snapping a ball is the most basic skill for a center. And he can’t do it consistently with no one in his face. What do you think he’s gonna do with someone like Donald in his face?? Magically just figure it out. It’s a big issue
[Image: BernLocksig.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I'd be willing to put $$ on certain fans insisting that the FO bumbled the pick and should have stayed at the 12 spot and picked the guy now in Detroit.  I don't necessarily agree with that assessment ,but I'd bet that you're going to hear it if Price doesn't quite live up to expectations.  Heck, a few will probably insist PA should have never been let go and they should fire Pollack ASAP..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I blame the lions. They stole Ragnow from us. Just read a few articles about how he is dominating in lions camp...and then come back to see Price is still botching snaps left and right. He has got to get this fixed in a hurry.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 06:47 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Like someone else said, if it's still going on come preseason game #3, then we need to be concerned.
Obviously, but a lot of work can be done between now and then.
(08-04-2018, 06:48 PM)BernLock Wrote: He’s a first round draft pick. Snapping a ball is the most basic skill for a center. And he can’t do it consistently with no one in his face. What do you think he’s gonna do with someone like Donald in his face?? Magically just figure it out. It’s a big issue

He did shotgun snaps almost exclusively at Ohio State, and maybe they're making him do it in a different way than he's used to doing it.  

Either way, I'm not concerned with it yet.

When I was growing up and even in high school when I went worked with different centers, it was always weird getting the snap for a while, but then it got easy.  When I would have to switch from the norm, like freshman year when I was playing JV and had to take snaps with the varsity first team, it was always difficult because I wasn't used to it.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 07:06 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: I blame the lions.  They stole Ragnow from us.  Just read a few articles about how he is dominating in lions camp...and then come back to see Price is still botching snaps left and right.  He has got to get this fixed in a hurry.

And you'll be thanking them when Price starts dominating and becomes the anchor of a hell of an offensive line.

It's the first week or training camp, people........  stop panicking. 
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 07:06 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: I blame the lions. They stole Ragnow from us. Just read a few articles about how he is dominating in lions camp...and then come back to see Price is still botching snaps left and right. He has got to get this fixed in a hurry.

He’s not playing C though.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 07:21 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: And you'll be thanking them when Price starts dominating and becomes the anchor of a hell of an offensive line.

It's the first week or training camp, people........  stop panicking. 

Im not panicked at all my man.  I just mentioned that ragnow is dominating and apparently that upsets you.  I hope price works out..we need him to.  I just wish the lions wouldent have took the ragnow...we would be talking about him dominating rather than 10 botched snaps.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 07:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He’s not playing C though.

Hes at lg right now, because they have a glasgows brother at center.  Do you think he wouldent be able to handle center?  Hes a much more experienced center than price...which is why we are seeing the growing pains still.  Ragnow would be dominating at center too.
Reply/Quote
I stated this in the training camp thread but I would like to explain it here as well so that fans understand the psychology behind Price's issue with snaps.

I am a sport psychologist and I am currently working with a college baseball team on similar issues.  

There is a psychometric instrument called TAIS;  The Attentional  Interpersonal Style Inventory.  Basically athletes vary are their ability to shift from a broad scanning of the field of play to specific details.  This would apply to most sporting events.  Some athletes struggle with shifting his or her attention from a broad scan to a narrow detailed perspective.  An analogy would be taking a photo snapshot of the Grand Canyon (broad view) and then noticing specific flowers in the photo (narrow view).  You heard the saying: "You can't see the forest for the trees?"  It means sometimes athletes (or people in general) can't see the broad picture because they are focusing on a specific problem or detail.  

Price maybe going through this difficulty for a variety of reasons, Geno Atkins being one (Someone said this in another thread :), game book, taking responsibility to call out assignments, speed of game, not used to QB under center.  

Price is apparently distracted internally and externally.  Once the game slows down, it will help.  Once Price learns assignments, it will help.  Once he feels comfortable with QB under center, this will help.  

Another thing, Price is an aggressive player with a high motor.  This means his somatic arousal is taut.  High somatic arousal (tension) in additional to overthinking is not a good combination at the NFL level because the game speed is significant compared to college level play.

Some athletes adjust and learn to shift their attention because they are able to "chunk" bits of information and it takes up less head space. Nevertheless, some athletes cannot adjust and cannot shift his or her attention appropriately.    

The worse case scenario for Price: he gets moved to RG.      
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 07:42 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Hes at lg right now, because they have a glasgows brother at center.  Do you think he wouldent be able to handle center?  Hes a much more experienced center than price...which is why we are seeing the growing pains still.  Ragnow would be dominating at center too.

Can’t say how’d he’d do here cause he’s not here. Doubt he’d enjoy going up against Geno Atkins every day.

Reply/Quote
Price should have everything polished off by the time the Bengals play in the Super Bowl this year...
Reply/Quote
The next 4 weeks will shed some light on all of this. I don't care if there are zero mistakes by the starters, on both sides of the ball, if depth struggles through the preseason, they will be in trouble, and I will hold to my 7-9 prediction. (As wrong as I hope I am.)
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 06:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is the way to be, sounds like a great mentor, congrats on the new job man. :andy:

Yeah, I'm much happier being utilized to a fuller extent, for sure.  As for Billy Price, I hope that he has a similar conversation with his mentor.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2018, 07:44 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I stated this in the training camp thread but I would like to explain it here as well so that fans understand the psychology behind Price's issue with snaps.

I am a sport psychologist and I am currently working with a college baseball team on similar issues.  

There is a psychometric instrument called TAIS;  The Attentional  Interpersonal Style Inventory.  Basically athletes vary are their ability to shift from a broad scanning of the field of play to specific details.  This would apply to most sporting events.  Some athletes struggle with shifting his or her attention from a broad scan to a narrow detailed perspective.  An analogy would be taking a photo snapshot of the Grand Canyon (broad view) and then noticing specific flowers in the photo (narrow view).  You heard the saying: "You can't see the forest for the trees?"  It means sometimes athletes (or people in general) can't see the broad picture because they are focusing on a specific problem or detail.  

Price maybe going through this difficulty for a variety of reasons, Geno Atkins being one (Someone said this in another thread :), game book, taking responsibility to call out assignments, speed of game, not used to QB under center.  

Price is apparently distracted internally and externally.  Once the game slows down, it will help.  Once Price learns assignments, it will help.  Once he feels comfortable with QB under center, this will help.  

Another thing, Price is an aggressive player with a high motor.  This means his somatic arousal is taut.  High somatic arousal (tension) in additional to overthinking is not a good combination at the NFL level because the game speed is significant compared to college level play.

Some athletes adjust and learn to shift their attention because they are able to "chunk" bits of information and it takes up less head space. Nevertheless, some athletes cannot adjust and cannot shift his or her attention appropriately.    

The worse case scenario for Price: he gets moved to RG.      

I think he saw Dalton in the showers and now he's just skurred having him stand right behind him when he's bent over.

j/k Wink

Great synopsis from a trained perspective. ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote