Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Pacman goes off
After reading Adam Jones' rant several times over I can't disagree with anything he said.  I want to debate it but I can't.  Adam played for Mike Zimmer who was one of the two best defensive coordinators the Bengals ever had. 

If you're unfamiliar with technique, it has to do with how the defensive line takes its set opposite the offensive line.  A "3 technique" is when the defensive lineman takes his set aligned with the outside shoulder of a guard.  A "1 technique" is where the defensive lineman sets up on the inside shoulder of a guard.  A "2 technique" is where the defensive lineman lines up helmet to helmet with the guard.  A pure nose tackle uses a "0 technique" by lining up helmet to helmet with the center.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:32 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I’m going to argue with us not winning one more game all season. Not sure I agree our ST suck either. The rest though...

Agreed, because they still have a game against the Giants. Only way they lose that is if Burrow doesn't play.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 10:49 AM)pally Wrote: He shares a similar opinion of many on this board

"Y'all need to fix the coaching staff. Special teams suck. The defensive coordinators need to be fired," Jones said on Instagram. "The best f------ three technique playing f------ nose guard. I ain't ever seen Geno (Atkins) line up over the center. Never in my entire f------ career. Geno over the f------ center every f------ play now."

"The DBs, y'all playing catch and tackle. They must be teaching y'all that s--- too," Jones continued. "But then y'all are cutting (traded) Carlos (Dunlap). I understand what y'all are doing, but I don't. Y'all are giving up the season I guess. The Bengals won't win but one more game.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/adam-jones-rips-bengals-coaches

Living in the Dallas area I don't see games unless the NFL network replays the Bengals.  After watching the Turds game on the NFL TV who can disagree with Adam's criticism of the defense?  Remember the defense was the entire focus of free agency and it's a sheit show.  
DB's don't have a chance with the lack of rush,  Mayfield didn't know the Bengals were rushing him.  
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:14 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Ah. I remember pac man.

He had some nice returns.

He also had like a personal foul every game.

I’m ok with him just being white noise.

Lol no he didn't. Pacman only had three personal fouls in his career here in Cincinnati. The one vs Pittsburgh, the one vs the Raiders that same year, and then one back in 2012. The one vs the Raiders didn't even stick, because there was an offsetting personal foul. The only personal fouls that he had that actually counted was against Pittsburgh and whatever happened in 2012. To put that into perspective, Vontaze Burfict had 8 personal fouls in 2013 alone; four times the amount that Pacman had in his entire career here. You're thinking of Burfict, not Adam.

Two personal fouls in 7 seasons. He was also one of the best corners we have had in recent memory. Leon Hall and Adam Jones was a fantastic duo. 
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:10 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Agree. WTF was that rant anyway? He's not even on the team.

Neither is anyone who posts here.
Reply/Quote
I figured there would be more misspellings.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:44 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: As much as it irritates me that Jones is just running his mouth, I do miss the sense of excitement that I felt when he was back there to receive a punt.  

I remember getting upset when they would use someone other then him on returns.

Any punt to him had potential to change the game.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:49 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I remember getting upset when they would use someone other then him on returns.

Any punt to him had potential to change the game.

There certainly was much to not like about Jones, the personal fouls, all of the off the field incidents, but one thing that was never in doubt was his effort and ability on the field.  You knew that he played fearless, and was a threat to score any time he touched the ball.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There certainly was much to not like about Jones, the personal fouls, all of the off the field incidents, but one thing that was never in doubt was his effort and ability on the field.  You knew that he played fearless, and was a threat to score any time he touched the ball.

Would be nice if we could find a way to get half that effort out of some of the guys currently on this defense.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Really liked Pacman while he was playing here, but he's in over his head here.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Neither is anyone who posts here.

Not entirely true.  Theoretically, fans are the 12th man.

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:14 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Ah. I remember pac man.

He had some nice returns.

He also had like a personal foul every game.

I’m ok with him just being white noise.

[Image: thats-racist.gif]

j/k. It's not racist. I just thought it was an interesting phrase to use. Big Grin

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 12:12 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: After reading Adam Jones' rant several times over I can't disagree with anything he said.  I want to debate it but I can't.  Adam played for Mike Zimmer who was one of the two best defensive coordinators the Bengals ever had. 

If you're unfamiliar with technique, it has to do with how the defensive line takes its set opposite the offensive line.  A "3 technique" is when the defensive lineman takes his set aligned with the outside shoulder of a guard.  A "1 technique" is where the defensive lineman sets up on the inside shoulder of a guard.  A "2 technique" is where the defensive lineman lines up helmet to helmet with the guard.  A pure nose tackle uses a "0 technique" by lining up helmet to helmet with the center.

Thanks for the lesson, Teach. Au165 explained, above your post, what is actually happening. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I could care less what Pacman says.

That being said he ain't entirely wrong either imo.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 11:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: Aside from the obvious issues in his approach, he is actually wrong on two fronts. Geno Atkins is not lining up at nose guard every play. Also he has lined up at nose tackle in the past shading over the center specifically when they used to kick Dunlap inside to play some DT on rushing downs early in their careers. Funny enough, they ran more 4 man fronts this week then I had seen them run all season it felt like.

Noticed that as well; probably to do with Reader out and wanting to stop the run V the Browns.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I thought the most telling part is the way he said they teaching these DBs that bs ... Pertaining to the whole db way of covering start to finish..
Reply/Quote
He had a Blunt burning... I love Gangsta ass Pac. He brought swagger and attitude...
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2020, 01:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: There certainly was much to not like about Jones, the personal fouls, all of the off the field incidents, but one thing that was never in doubt was his effort and ability on the field.  You knew that he played fearless, and was a threat to score any time he touched the ball.

He also demanded effort from his teammates and got on their asses when they screwed up.  He might be a turd, but he was a relentless worker and ferocious competitor.  He was nothing short of one of the league's best corners in his time here.  
Reply/Quote
Pac was one of the dumbest humans ever to play for the Bengals.

H was also one of the greatest return men I have ever seen, and for a short period one of the best CBs in the entire league.
Reply/Quote
He could change the course of the game in one play.
He was special.
Reply/Quote