Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Patrick Mahomes update
(01-25-2023, 06:06 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Jacksonville didn't do it in the second half at all. 

That’s why they are home. I don’t see a scenario where we let mahomes have a clean jersey. He might look “ok” for a drive or two, but the NFL and chiefs are setting the bengals up here for another brutal visual for an opposing bengals team. The entire country will be watching as mahomes (inevitably) is in visually excruciating pain or can’t finish the game.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Two things:
1) If Mahomes injury isn't that bad, good. Chiefs fans will have no excuse when we win, "But Patrick's injury ..." Rolleyes

2) Even if he's close to being his normal self on Sunday. All it takes is one hit to bring all that pain back or to make the injury worse and knock him out of the game completely.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 06:07 PM)Synric Wrote: I like how the tweet mentions limping in a boot. I'm not a medical professional but I do know that even perfectly healthy people limp while wearing a boot it's a weight thing lol.

And the fact that a boot isn’t the same height as a shoe….
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 06:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Two things:
1) If Mahomes injury isn't that bad, good. Chiefs fans will have no excuse when we win, "But Patrick's injury ..." Rolleyes

#2) Even if he's close to being his normal self on Sunday. All it takes is one hit to bring all that pain back or to make the injury worse and knock him out of the game completely.

We are on the same page with your number 2.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 06:09 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: That’s why they are home.  I don’t see a scenario where we let mahomes have a clean jersey.  He might look “ok” for a drive or two,  but the NFL and chiefs are setting the bengals up here for another brutal visual for an opposing bengals team.  The entire country will be watching as mahomes (inevitably) is in visually excruciating pain or can’t finish the game.

I mean I agree with you... 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Hilton's gona have Pats lunch Sunday.
Reply/Quote
Here is a fairly reasonable breakdown from Reddit. Take it with a grain of salt, but none of this sounds outlandish.

Quote:A medical analysis of Patrick Mahomes’s injury.
Otherwise titled: Patrick Mahomes almost definitely does not have a high ankle sprain.

Thought I would provide an analysis of what mahomes is dealing with this week… I’ve never done a non bengals player before but figured it’s probably the most important injury of the week.

As always… I have ten+ years of sports medicine experience but am not affiliated with the bengals (or chiefs in this case).

First let’s tackle the kind of ankle sprains (before I say why I think Pat most certainly does not have a high ankle sprain).

There are many ligaments and tendons in the ankle that make the anatomy complicated. But for simplicity you can categorize ankle sprains, or ligament injuries, into three major categories: lateral, medial, and high.

When someone generally says “I sprained my ankle” they generally mean a lateral ankle sprain. They’re common bc our feet tend to invert (go in towards the middle of our bodies) when we roll the ankle. There are 3 main ligaments on the outside or lateral aspect of our ankle that often get injured when this occurs. This can range from low grade (walk it off and keep playing and ice it later) to pretty high grade (ruptured ligaments, needing a boot for several weeks, etc.)

Medial ankle sprains are less common. The main ligament on the inside of your ankle is big and broad and strong. And we usually don’t roll the ankle that direction except under major stress. Mahomes suffered this kind of injury mechanism when he got rolled up on. You see linemen get this a lot too and the ligament can also get damaged with other mechanisms.

A high ankle sprain is much different. It’s an injury to the big and broad set of ligaments that actually hold the bottom parts of the shin bones (tibia and fibula) together. They are essentially above the ankle joint while the medial and lateral ligaments are below the joint.

A true high ankle sprain is a major injury. It’s very uncommon for someone with a legit high ankle sprain to walk without a boot especially in the first couple weeks. And if you look at most contact sport athletes with a high ankle sprain it’s a 4-6 week recovery if not longer.

One of the reasons for this is that it leaves the space between the tibia and fibula and ankle joint itself unstable with a high likelihood of further injury (and it hurts like hell). It’s one of those injuries you generally can’t just tape up and play through (though maybe it’s happened I don’t know).

I contend that mahomes has more of a medial sprain than a high ankle sprain. I think the team pushes out “high ankle sprain” because it’s more vague and people don’t really know what it is. But at worst I’d bet there’s mild swelling on mri in the high ankle area but no actual injury. They would not, and he likely could not, play through that due to the pain and instability.

Therefore I believe he’ll play Sunday with some mild pain but likely not be limited much. His injury mechanism looks like a nasty medial sprain. But if he truly had a high ankle sprain I do not believe he would have finished Saturday nor practiced today.
My only contribution here is that I have had a high ankle sprain before and they are miserable, bluntly put. There is no way I could have ran and moved around, regardless of painkillers. I'm not Patrick Mahomes of course, but he is moving very smoothly. I won't be surprised to see him look fairly normal on Sunday. 
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 06:01 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I would disagree. I am not remembering anything off the top of my head in the passing game but there were 100% running plays that Huntley couldn't make where Lamar would have. That long run to put the Ravens at the goalline by Huntley? Lamar scores there if he has that kind of room. There was another play early on where Huntley was caught by Hubbard or Hendrickson, can't remember which. It was short of a first down, but Lamar would have converted there. 

I have no idea if the Bengals would have lost if Lamar played, but that game was close enough that I am glad we don't have to find out. 

Fair points but I also think there would have been more energy in the stadium had Lamar played which would have been to our advantage.

I think the stats that Huntley posted were on pace for what you had seen from Lamar this season. 

Im not saying that Huntley is better by any stretch. Im just saying Lamar was not having a great year after the first 3 games of the season and he got progressively worse as the season was going on. 
Reply/Quote
Mahoma's needs to share that juice hes drinking for his ankle with Cappa!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 06:13 PM)motoarch Wrote: Hilton's gonna have Pats lunch Sunday.

We will need to take out Jarick McKinnon as he will be Patrick's personal protector.
Reply/Quote
Anyway you look at it is that Mahomes is playing so we will be able to see how he reacts on that ankle. You give him A Gap pressure and also force him to drive the ball off that foot outside the hash marks.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I'm expecting Mahomes to be ready, willing, and able to perform this weekend. I really don't think the injury will be a factor this Sunday, unless that same area gets injured again.
Reply/Quote
Let him get plenty of rest of the sidelines as we drive down the field and get TDs while he gets three and outs.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
I thought from the start the injury wasn't as bad as people were making it out to be. Now I'm certain he doesn't have a high ankle sprain even though a source supposedly confirmed it. We are gonna be facing a fully healthy Mahommes. It's gonna be another tough game but no matter how you shake it we were gonna have two tough games if we want to win it all.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 06:14 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Here is a fairly reasonable breakdown from Reddit. Take it with a grain of salt, but none of this sounds outlandish.

My only contribution here is that I have had a high ankle sprain before and they are miserable, bluntly put. There is no way I could have ran and moved around, regardless of painkillers. I'm not Patrick Mahomes of course, but he is moving very smoothly. I won't be surprised to see him look fairly normal on Sunday. 

That was quite an extensive analysis. I'm starting to think Mahomes injury was not actually a high ankle sprain, but another ankle injury, as pointed out in the post. He was a full participant in practice today. Not even "limited in practice."

But at least with all the coverage, the Bengals also won't be fooled.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 06:09 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Two things:

#2) Even if he's close to being his normal self on Sunday. All it takes is one hit to bring all that pain back or to make the injury worse and knock him out of the game completely.

What’s understood doesn’t need to be said.

If I’m a defender for the Bengals I’m not playing dirty, I’m just not a member of the Chiefs and Mahommes would know that after the very 1st hit. And god forbid Mahommes get at the bottom of a pile. My main goal would be to see Chad Henne
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Mahomes pride will be what hurts the most after Sunday.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 07:58 PM)Nepa Wrote: That was quite an extensive analysis. I'm starting to think Mahomes injury was not actually a high ankle sprain, but another ankle injury, as pointed out in the post. He was a full participant in practice today. Not even "limited in practice."

But at least with all the coverage, the Bengals also won't be fooled.

I think the Chiefs have basically said that as well but saying it's not as bad as a previous ankle injury he has. I think it's basically only NFL and media still pushing the severe ankle sprain and likely will take about how amazing and unimaginable it is he plays the same as always. 
Reply/Quote
It's gonna be toof and nails with this coming game, he'll be playing, Mahommes is a top caliber player and I suspect he'll be a go when Sunday comes. Hendrickson and Hubbard have an advantage if his mobility is affected.
Reply/Quote
(01-25-2023, 09:21 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: It's gonna be toof and nails with this coming game, he'll be playing, Mahommes is a top caliber player and I suspect he'll be a go when Sunday comes. Hendrickson and Hubbard have an advantage if his mobility is affected.

He’s going because he didn’t have a high ankle sprain. The effect of his injury may not enemies be noticed unless he re-injures it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote