Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton
(03-17-2020, 04:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It wouldn't shock me at all if we get a retirement announcement in a bit. What does he have to keep playing for ? Another blown out knee from some stud DE ?

I now think he goes to Miami after they let him pick who they take wish all those picks.   That would be a hoot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 03:55 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Honestly, I think the Pats schemed around Brady's deteriorating arm strength.

If he keeps playing and goes elsewhere, I expect his decline to be more apparent.

I read that he wants personnel and scheme control for whatever his next team ends up being.  So he's gonna be a player/coach/GM?  Surprised he's not asking for an ownership share.

Personally, I have never been a fan of legacy tarnishing. 
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:10 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Forgot about that, and good to see you again.

Thank you and right back atcha.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:12 PM)McC Wrote: I read that he wants personnel and scheme control for whatever his next team ends up being.  So he's gonna be a player/coach/GM?  Surprised he's not asking for an ownership share.

Personally, I have never been a fan of legacy tarnishing. 

I figure Brady's level of competitiveness is to the point of mental illness and he simply can't stop playing.  At any rate, given that the guy is the GOAT and he was a 199th pick AND his career's death was predicted a few Lombardi's ago I say don't believe he's done until you see the box go into the ground.

I started off joking about Miami giving him some choice over all those draft picks to get him there, but I could actually see it happening.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I figure Brady's level of competitiveness is to the point of mental illness and he simply can't stop playing.  At any rate, given that the guy is the GOAT and he was a 199th pick AND his career's death was predicted a few Lombardi's ago I say don't believe he's done until you see the box go into the ground.

I started off joking about Miami giving him some choice over all those draft picks to get him there, but I could actually see it happening.  

He gave them the draft pick wish list in the same package with the dozen FA's he wants signed.  And how much pleasure would it give him to go to Miami and put beat downs on Bill?

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 03:58 PM)McC Wrote:
My sources tell me
that the Bengals brass had a teleconference meeting yesterday and Duke said he wanted to call so and so and so and so yesterday and Mike said FA doesn't start until Wednesday.  They reminded Mike that it was the legal tampering period.  Mike, lawyer that he is, told them there's no such thing as legal tampering and that is that.  And then Mike said wake me up Wednesday and we'll jump right in.

I suggest you quit using CNN Fake news sources in the future.  Smirk
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:43 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I suggest you quit using CNN Fake news sources in the future.  Smirk

I don't have sources.

Reply/Quote
So he's going to Tampa Bay, he got tired of the snow it seems.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:38 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: So he's going to Tampa Bay, he got tired of the snow it seems.

Florida also has zero state taxes
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:58 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Florida also has zero state taxes

Between him and his wife they’re worth more than half a billion dollars. I doubt money is a big factor.

Now those WR’s on the other hand...

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 01:01 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Between him and his wife they’re worth more than half a billion dollars. I doubt money is a big factor.

Now those WR’s on the other hand...

Don't forget his personal trainer, I'm sure he's the meat of the sandwich.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
I have to think Dalton is lower down on the Pat's wish list of QBs to get. They could go after Cam Newton, Josh Rosen, or Jacoby Brissett. They have options so the Bengals better not be holding out for a high draft pick. Move on from Dalton and get what can be had.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 09:48 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I have to think Dalton is lower down on the Pat's wish list of QBs to get.  They could go after Cam Newton, Josh Rosen, or Jacoby Brissett.  They have options so the Bengals better not be holding out for a high draft pick.  Move on from Dalton and get what can be had.

Brissett makes a lot of sense because he came from NE.  They know all about him.

Rosen sucks and Cam does not really fit the Patriots offensive style as well as Dalton.  Plus we don't know if he is 100% healthy.  He has taken a beating over his career, and he may never be as good as he was before the injury that kept him out last year.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 10:58 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Brissett makes a lot of sense because he came from NE.  They know all about him.

Rosen sucks and Cam does not really fit the Patriots offensive style as well as Dalton.  Plus we don't know if he is 100% healthy.  He has taken a beating over his career, and he may never be as good as he was before the injury that kept him out last year.

My eye test says Rosen sucks, but I recall the Patriots were interested in him a couple years ago so thus my speculation about him being a cheap target to acquire.
Reply/Quote
I was watching the NFL Network this morning and the people on there are saying, that NE will not be in any rush to pick up Brady's replacement. So Dalton might be in limbo for awhile.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:12 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I was watching the NFL Network this morning and the people on there are saying, that NE will not be in any rush to pick up Brady's replacement. So Dalton might be in limbo for awhile.

Smart move by the Patriots.  They can pretend they are cool with Stidham at QB which effectively lowers the price they have to pay to acquire someone else.  Why give up a third round pick for Dalton when you can wait it out and maybe only give up a fifth rounder? I'm guessing that is the Pat's strategy.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:14 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Smart move by the Patriots.  They can pretend they are cool with Stidham at QB which effectively lowers the price they have to pay to acquire someone else.  Why give up a third round pick for Dalton when you can wait it out and maybe only give up a fifth rounder? I'm guessing that is the Pat's strategy.

Could also be a game of chicken going on to see if the Bengals end up cutting him, ala Cordy Glenn. 

OTOH, how long can the Pats wait, given how complicated their system is supposed to be?

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:51 AM)McC Wrote: Could also be a game of chicken going on to see if the Bengals end up cutting him, ala Cordy Glenn. 

OTOH, how long can the Pats wait, given how complicated their system is supposed to be?

Not a chance the Bengals fall for that.  The Bengals have no compelling reason to cut Dalton as they can easily afford his salary under the cap.  The Bengals have leverage, all of it.  They get their QB of the future, they have a great teammate to help him adjust to the NFL.  They have a great backup until the trade which all knows is coming.  Nobody is getting Dalton this season, if there is a season, unless they meet the Bengals price.

Right now they are sitting on nearly $30 million in cap space and could still cut Dre if they need more.  
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:12 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I was watching the NFL Network this morning and the people on there are saying, that NE will not be in any rush to pick up Brady's replacement. So Dalton might be in limbo for awhile.

No need for them to rush at all.  There is not a single "must have" QB available right now, and the situation is still fluid.  If a team trades for Cam then the guy he replaces could be on the market.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:58 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Not a chance the Bengals fall for that.  The Bengals have no compelling reason to cut Dalton as they can easily afford his salary under the cap.  The Bengals have leverage, all of it.  They get their QB of the future, they have a great teammate to help him adjust to the NFL.  They have a great backup until the trade which all knows is coming.  Nobody is getting Dalton this season, if there is a season, unless they meet the Bengals price.

Right now they are sitting on nearly $30 million in cap space and could still cut Dre if they need more.  

They will NOT keep him here and force him to sit as a backup.  Forget about the cap.  Sentiment will not allow that to happen.  He could still be after the draft but he will not be here when the season starts. 

It turns out this was a really lousy year to have a QB you want to trade.

Reply/Quote