Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patriots jump to the lead for Dalton
(03-18-2020, 12:07 PM)McC Wrote: They will NOT keep him here and force him to sit as a backup.  Forget about the cap.  Sentiment will not allow that to happen.  He could still be after the draft but he will not be here when the season starts. 

It turns out this was a really lousy year to have a QB you want to trade.

Mike Brown was stubborn with Palmer and the gamble paid off big time.

I think there is a chance they gamble again with Dalton hoping to get a lot more for him before the trading deadline when another team loses its starter to injury.

Not saying it would be the best move, but there is a chance.
Reply/Quote
Feel like there’s not a great market for Dalton and we might end up releasing him. The only QB needy teams are the Patriots, Chargers and Bears. I think the Changers are looking at pick number 6 to upgrade at QB. The Bears have options with guys like Cam Newton, Nick Foles and Winston. I never really believed the Dalton to New England thing, I think they covet there picks and will roll with what they have and draft a QB.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Mike Brown was stubborn with Palmer and the gamble paid off big time.

I think there is a chance they gamble again with Dalton hoping to get a lot more for him before the trading deadline when another team loses its starter to injury.

Not saying it would be the best move, but there is a chance.

Well, that would not be out of character for Mike.  But they even went public saying they would trade him and even further said it wouldn't be to anywhere he didn't want to go.  In a battle of Mike's well known stubbornness and his well known sentimental side, it would be interesting to see which side wins. Also, the difference between the Palmer and Dalton situations is that Dalton never basically told Mike to eat shit.

And then there is also the significant factor of a trade requiring another team interested.  That may or may not exist.

Now, I do think, even if they forced him to stay that he would not cause problems and would always be a team guy.  Like I said, not a good year to have a QB you want to trade.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 11:58 AM)bengals1969 Wrote: Not a chance the Bengals fall for that.  The Bengals have no compelling reason to cut Dalton as they can easily afford his salary under the cap.  The Bengals have leverage, all of it.  They get their QB of the future, they have a great teammate to help him adjust to the NFL.  They have a great backup until the trade which all knows is coming.  Nobody is getting Dalton this season, if there is a season, unless they meet the Bengals price.

I don't see it discussed often or written about by the media, but is there any possibility the Bengals draft Burrow and he sits behind Dalton for a year to never see the field (or at least he doesn't play until Dalton loses a string of consecutive games/gets hurt)?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't see it discussed often or written about by the media, but is there any possibility the Bengals draft Burrow and he sits behind Dalton for a year to never see the field (or at least he doesn't play until Dalton loses a string of consecutive games/gets hurt)?

In a word, NO.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:20 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Feel like there’s not a great market for Dalton and we might end up releasing him. The only QB needy teams are the Patriots, Chargers and Bears. I think the Changers are looking at pick number 6 to upgrade at QB. The Bears have options with guys like Cam Newton, Nick Foles and Winston. I never really believed the Dalton to New England thing, I think they covet there picks and will roll with what they have and draft a QB.

Dalton just having one year on his contract would make him perfect for a team wanting to draft a QB this year and give him a year to develop.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown is one stubborn MF'er and like he did with Palmer, i see him holding out on Dalton until his demands are met. He will keep Dalton on the roster as a backup if he doesn't get what he wants. I would have no issue with this approach, since i want a 2nd or Thuney for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2020, 04:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It wouldn't shock me at all if we get a retirement announcement in a bit. What does he have to keep playing for ? Another blown out knee from some stud DE ?

He still wants to play to 45 years old, to promote his Brady training products, and he also (apparently) wants to prove he can win without Bill.

I think he also wants to stick it to the Pats for not getting him some receiver help.

Word it that his decision to leave came after DeAndre Hopkins was traded to some other team.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't see it discussed often or written about by the media, but is there any possibility the Bengals draft Burrow and he sits behind Dalton for a year to never see the field (or at least he doesn't play until Dalton loses a string of consecutive games/gets hurt)?

I doubt it.  Dalton is too good a QB to be on the shelf for long, somebody will pay the price.  All I'm saying is the Bengals can't be leveraged, they have time and a QB hungry team doesn't.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:07 PM)McC Wrote: They will NOT keep him here and force him to sit as a backup.  Forget about the cap.  Sentiment will not allow that to happen.  He could still be after the draft but he will not be here when the season starts. 

It turns out this was a really lousy year to have a QB you want to trade.

Dalton and the Bengals are on the same page, Dalton wants a trade he has some control over the team and the Bengals want to accommodate him.
So that implies they will be patient in the process including going into the season, if there is one.  No reason for him to be a problem at all, he is in agreement with what the Bengals are doing.  It helps him look good to owners if he's seen pitching in with Joe's introduction to the NFL.

They'll wait.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 12:20 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Feel like there’s not a great market for Dalton and we might end up releasing him. The only QB needy teams are the Patriots, Chargers and Bears. I think the Changers are looking at pick number 6 to upgrade at QB. The Bears have options with guys like Cam Newton, Nick Foles and Winston. I never really believed the Dalton to New England thing, I think they covet there picks and will roll with what they have and draft a QB.

Well considering how many QB's were available in free agency, it's not surprising that the trade market was a little barren. I've thought all along that it will be a game of musical chairs and the only way we get something for Dalton is if some team gets left high and dry without a clear option. As of now, there's only 1-2 teams still looking, and Jameis Winston is still available, as well as Cam Newton via trade.

I think Chicago and New England are our best shots. Dalton makes a ton of sense for either team.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Foles to Chicago...running out of spots.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Foles to Chicago...running out of spots.

They sure haven't been acting like a team up against the cap. 

4th round comp pick, otherwise known as a fifth rounder.

Wonder if Jax will pay some of his insane salary.

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: Foles to Chicago...running out of spots.

It's what Patriots or Chargers for Dalton now? I would say Patriots fits best for Andy and Cam fits better in LA.

I think Herbert ends up in LA though.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
So if the Pats or Chargers don't pony up for Andy, does he get outright released?
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:32 PM)McC Wrote: They sure haven't been acting like a team up against the cap. 

4th round comp pick, otherwise known as a fifth rounder.

Wonder if Jax will pay some of his insane salary.

JAX eats a massive cap hit and the rumor is Foles is restructuring his salary as part of the deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:01 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well considering how many QB's were available in free agency, it's not surprising that the trade market was a little barren. I've thought all along that it will be a game of musical chairs and the only way we get something for Dalton is if some team gets left high and dry without a clear option. As of now, there's only 1-2 teams still looking, and Jameis Winston is still available, as well as Cam Newton via trade.

I think Chicago and New England are our best shots. Dalton makes a ton of sense for either team.

Do we hold him til there is an injury in camp or early in the season? That feels risky.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:50 PM)jason Wrote: Do we hold him til there is an injury in camp or early in the season? That feels risky.

I think that goes against him getting a crack at a job and doing right by him. I would guess if the Patriots pass we release him. The issue now though is without a second bidder there is no real reason to trade for him knowing we will probably cut him.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:46 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So if the Pats or Chargers don't pony up for Andy, does he get outright released?

The problem the Bengals have with Dalton is that teams know the Bengals need to unload him so they are lowballing offers or waiting for them to outright release him. The Bengals have no leverage.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2020, 02:46 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: So if the Pats or Chargers don't pony up for Andy, does he get outright released?

Why?  They don't need his salary for cap purposes, at least at the moment.
At worst Dalton is backup to Joe B and a happy backup at that since he wants a big say in where he goes.  Remember Dalton and the Bengals are on the same page, unlike with Carson, and Mike Brown took his time.  Plus Dalton is a good QB with playoff experience.  He has high value and the Bengals have his rights for the season.
Reply/Quote