Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Brown stadium deal ending in 2026- will the Bengals stay
I'm more optimistic that the Bengals will stay than I was a couple of years ago. I mean I still hope the Bengals would relinquish their strangle hold on the Banks and build a legit practice Facility somewhere else in the area.

I bring this up because 2026 isn't that far away and prominent local politician Greg Hartman recently stated his opposition against any new money added to the stadium in the enquires Cincinnati podcast. Starts around the 27 minute mark.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cincinnati.com/amp/5591698002

I don't think it will be that big of an issue because 
1.)  I think the future is bright for the franchise & City 
2.) PBS will need some renovations for the World Cup anyways. Which will happen in 2026 when the deal is up.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 09:23 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm more optimistic that the Bengals will stay than I was a couple of years ago. I mean I still hope the Bengals would relinquish their strangle hold on the Banks and build a legit practice Facility somewhere else in the area.

I bring this up because 2026 isn't that far away and prominent local politician Greg Hartman recently stated his opposition against any new money added to the stadium in the enquires Cincinnati podcast. Starts around the 27 minute mark.

2.) PBS will need some renovations for the World Cup anyways. Which will happen in 2026 when the deal is up.

It will be very tempting for the Bengals to move.. they will have a ton of $$$$ thrown at them by other cities.. I am hoping their Ohio roots keep them here... it is going to be an uphill battle though with the 2nd smallest market in the NFL to keep them. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 09:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It will be very tempting for the Bengals to move.. they will have a ton of $$$$ thrown at them by other cities.. I am hoping their Ohio roots keep them here... it is going to be an uphill battle though with the 2nd smallest market in the NFL to keep them. 

There’s at least a couple smaller markets than us. Buffalo and Green Bay off the top of my head.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 10:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s at least a couple smaller markets than us. Buffalo and Green Bay off the top of my head.

Green Bay is publically owned. They're essentially owned by their fanbase.

The Bills have new ownership, along with a new stadium.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 10:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Green Bay is publically owned. They're essentially owned by their fanbase.

THey do?

'cause I was there last year and it looked like the same stadium that was there in 2013 and 2015...
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 10:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Green Bay is publically owned. They're essentially owned by their fanbase.

Wrong on the new stadium 
J24

Reply/Quote
I think they will, but if they move, I hope it’s to Portland, OR. Then I could actually go to games. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 10:08 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Green Bay is publically owned. They're essentially owned by their fanbase.

I was just disputing market size. Not chances of teams moving.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 09:23 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm more optimistic that the Bengals will stay than I was a couple of years ago. I mean I still hope the Bengals would relinquish their strangle hold on the Banks and build a legit practice Facility somewhere else in the area.

Well, what a politician says they're going to do and what they actually do are often two different things.  

If Mike wanted to move, he wouldn't be covering the bills for stadium upgrades that the county agreed to pay in the PBS lease.  Katie has also said that they think PBS can be viable past the end of the lease, which isn't something you would say if you were looking to move.  That said, money talks and bullshit takes the bus.  If a city basically agrees to build them a stadium, they would have to entertain it, especially if business remains down.  I mean, if Burrow is as advertised and they still can't sell out PBS, they pretty much have to move if they get a better offer.  However, I think most teams are not banking on public money in their stadium plans.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 09:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: It will be very tempting for the Bengals to move.. they will have a ton of $$$$ thrown at them by other cities.. I am hoping their Ohio roots keep them here... it is going to be an uphill battle though with the 2nd smallest market in the NFL to keep them. 
With LA gone here are the Cities that have a chance to steal the Bengals away from Cincinnati. None of them are Home runs for ownership over Cincinnati. 

London
Positives- New Stadium, Big Market(western Europe)
Negatives-  Travel, Taxes, interest?, Jaguars have a built-in market

San Antonio
Positives- Texas loves Football, Tax payer Stadium
Negatives- Cowboys empire

Toronto- 
Positives- Canada Market
Negatives- would have to build stadium with own money

Orlando
Positives- Bigger Market, NFL quality Stadium
Negatives- 3 teams in Florida already and a tourist town.

St.louis
Positive- Bigger Market than Cincy
Negatives- Been screwed by the NFL multiple times

San Diego- 
Positives- great City, Super Bowl City, 
Negatives- Crowded market with Chargers and Rams 100 miles away + privately funded stadiums

Northern California(Oakland or Sacramento)
Positives- Bigger Market
Negatives- private fund stadiums + 49ner territory

Those are the biggest options for relocation. Out of all those cities none of them really concern me as overly enticing to leave Cincinnati for. If I were to say the biggest worries would be St Louis, Orlando, and San Antonio but all of those seem Longshots.

Also I think eventually we will see a mass expansion in the 2030s going from 32 to 40 teams.  

(08-19-2020, 10:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: There’s at least a couple smaller markets than us. Buffalo and Green Bay off the top of my head.
New Orleans, Buffalo, Green Bay, Las Vegas, and Jacksonville are all below Cincinnati I. TV Markets.
J24

Reply/Quote

Yep... Green Bay is the smallest with Cincy and Buffalo .. the big cities will be a calling for sure in 2025
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 11:03 PM)J24 Wrote: With LA gone here are the Cities that have a chance to steal the Bengals away from Cincinnati. None of them are Home runs for ownership over Cincinnati. 

London

San Antonio

Toronto- 
Positives- Canada Market

Orlando

St.louis

San Diego- 
Negatives- Crowded market with Chargers and Rams 100 miles away + privately funded stadiums

Positives- Bigger Market

Those are the biggest options for relocation. Out of all those cities none of them really concern me as overly enticing to leave Cincinnati for. If I were to say the biggest worries would be St Louis, Orlando, and San Antonio but all of those seem Longshots.

Also I think eventually we will see a mass expansion in the 2030s going from 32 to 40 teams.  

New Orleans, Buffalo, Green Bay, Las Vegas, and Jacksonville are all below Cincinnati I. TV Markets.

I would add a few more up and coming cities.. Salt Lake, Portland, Columbus, Chicago (3rd largest city), Omaha (larger now than Cleveland, love football and growing).  
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 10:14 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: THey do?

'cause I was there last year and it looked like the same stadium that was there in 2013 and 2015...

My apoligies. I should have said "coming", or in the "works".

There was a big piece a while back on that it was agreed that New Era Stadium was nearing it's ending.  They were in the midst of looking at new locations, and working out the financials.  I think they're also looking for a new naming partner.

Either way, it sounds like the Bills will be getting a new building sooner than later.  Whereas here, I don't we can plan on replacing PBS for at least another 10 years at the very minumum.  The best we can offer is an upgraded facility.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 11:03 PM)J24 Wrote: With LA gone here are the Cities that have a chance to steal the Bengals away from Cincinnati. None of them are Home runs for ownership over Cincinnati. 

London

San Antonio

Toronto- 
Positives- Canada Market

Orlando

St.louis

San Diego- 

Positives- Bigger Market

Having lived a long time in both ends of California I know there is no way the Bengals make a CA move.  CA politics are far beyond what Mike Brown would want to deal with.  The costs would eat his family fortune to the bone and there isn't a rabid fan base in CA for NFL football.  Every possible city out there is in deep financial distress before COVID, now it's a catastrophe getting worse by the day.  CA is out for along time.

No to Britain.
Texas is ideal if located in San Antonio but that would take getting past Jerry Jones.  Not impossible since Jones has a price for any deal. Mike would have to pay him a ransom and that isn't in Mike's DNA.

After COVID has wrecked city and state finances from coast to coast there is no way any city can cough up the cash to make Mike move.  How long will city finances be impacted so bad that paying a NFL team to move is politically possible?  I bet not until the 2030's.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 10:23 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: I think they will, but if they move, I hope it’s to Portland, OR. Then I could actually go to games. Ninja

Keeping it brief to minimize risk of bringing outside topics into Jungle Noise... Portland seems like it'd be pretty low on a billion dollar business' (which is essentially what a football team is) list of destinations to move to as of right now.

- - - - - - - -

As to the OP... there's no way to know for one reason: Mike Brown will be 90-91 then. 

Is he still alive in 2026? I think he'd hem and haw to get more concessions but ultimately not move the team if he is still alive for the same reason he won't sell the stadium naming rights. It's his Dad's legacy in this city. He probably also wouldn't want to move to a new city at the age of 90, have to buy a new house and find new restaurants/etc.

Katie/Troy are a wildcard because I have no idea what they would do if they're owners of the team when the time rolls around. I feel like there's a bigger chance of the team leaving if they are.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 11:48 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: My apoligies. I should have said "coming", or in the "works".

There was a big piece a while back on that it was agreed that New Era Stadium was nearing it's ending.  They were in the midst of looking at new locations, and working out the financials.  I think they're also looking for a new naming partner.

Either way, it sounds like the Bills will be getting a new building sooner than later.  Whereas here, I don't we can plan on replacing PBS for at least another 10 years at the very minumum.  The best we can offer is an upgraded facility.
PBS doesn't need an extensive rebuild though like the Bills stadium.  
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2020, 11:47 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would add a few more up and coming cities.. Salt Lake, Portland, Columbus, Chicago (3rd largest city), Omaha (larger now than Cleveland, love football and growing).  

Portland- to close to Seattle; maybe Vancouver but that would be a long shot as well for same reason.
Columbus- Ohio State is already a pro team doubt any team would move there. Plus the NFL has that market already .
Salt Lake- Sunday football with the Morman population won't work.
Chicago- they already have a team no need for another
Omaha- interesting but I still doubt it.
J24

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 12:08 AM)J24 Wrote: Portland- to close to Seattle; maybe Vancouver but that would be a long shot as well for same reason.
Columbus- Ohio State is already a pro team doubt any team would move there. Plus the NFL has that market already .

Portland could open up because the stranglehold on the Northwest opened up when Paul Allen passed away. Not only did he own the Seahawks, but he also owned the Portland Trailblazers. Teams had a hard time moving to Portland because the Blazers pretty much occupied the prime areas to build stadiums. Portland is also the largest sports market that only has one (of the big four) professional teams.

As for the topic, never say never, but I don't see the Bengals leaving Cincinnati.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-20-2020, 12:00 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Keeping it brief to minimize risk of bringing outside topics into Jungle Noise... Portland seems like it'd be pretty low on a billion dollar business' (which is essentially what a football team is) list of destinations to move to as of right now.

- - - - - - - -

As to the OP... there's no way to know for one reason: Mike Brown will be 90-91 then. 

Is he still alive in 2026? I think he'd hem and haw to get more concessions but ultimately not move the team if he is still alive for the same reason he won't sell the stadium naming rights. It's his Dad's legacy in this city. He probably also wouldn't want to move to a new city at the age of 90, have to buy a new house and find new restaurants/etc.

Katie/Troy are a wildcard because I have no idea what they would do if they're owners of the team when the time rolls around. I feel like there's a bigger chance of the team leaving if they are.

(08-20-2020, 12:08 AM)J24 Wrote: Portland- to close to Seattle; maybe Vancouver but that would be a long shot as well for same reason.

(08-20-2020, 01:16 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Portland could open up because the stranglehold on the Northwest opened up when Paul Allen passed away. Not only did he own the Seahawks, but he also owned the Portland Trailblazers. Teams had a hard time moving to Portland because the Blazers pretty much occupied the prime areas to build stadiums. Portland is also the largest sports market that only has one (of the big four) professional teams.

As for the topic, never say never, but I don't see the Bengals leaving Cincinnati.

Plenty of money and plenty of fans in Portland. There’s currently a group formed to try and bring a MLB team to Portland, not to mention there’s already an NBA and MLS team there.

Cincy = 303,000 pop. (2019) 64th largest city
Portland = 654,000 pop. (2019) 26th largest city
Reply/Quote

Haha... I'm sure the Utah Jazz played their fair share of Sunday games in front of packed houses back in the day. An NFL team would do well in Utah. They'd have to change their name though. Somehow Utah Bengals makes even less sense than Utah Jazz.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote