Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paulie G
(10-18-2016, 06:13 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Gilberry is available if we want him back. I'll absolutely agree that losing Nelson was a huge blow and we were foolish to let it happen. 

I think the play has been sloppy and undisciplined. Tackles are missed. Dumb penalties. A lack of fire from the DC on the sidelines. Last year we might've had some carryover from the Zim years. Now players are really taken cues both explicit and implicit from Guenther and the fact is, he's uninspiring and unimpressive. 

But he can sure chew the hell out of some gum!  ThumbsUp
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Paulie has been outcoached alot so far this year
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 02:31 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: The talent disparity is real Fred.  Zimmer took mostly garbage outside of our CB's and made them mediocre.  Over a couple of seasons Zimmer had them at a top 5 defense.  Paul G has turned a top 5 defense into mediocre with unquestionably more talent. 

Please don't compare the two teams.

Very valid point
Reply/Quote
Paul Guenther shows flashes of brilliance; I think the Denver game in 2014 is a perfect example and even his scheme against New England in the first half last week was highly effective. It takes a lot to frustrate Tom Brady and for two and a half quarters the Bengals did it. If Paul wants to get to the next level he needs to learn to adjust on the fly and neutralize someone like Rob Gronkowski or Ezekiel Elliott on the next defensive series. It's one thing to be torched on one play but I get furious when the Bengals get torched the same way multiple times whether it's the Steelers' off-tackle run or the Gronkowski over the middle gain for twenty yards.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 01:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Our defense is built around the front 4 getting pressure. We don't really have good pass rushing LB's. We don't really have elite DB's.

When we don't get pressure on the QB from the front 4, things break down.

Peko doesn't get pressure. MJ really hasn't. Teams know they can double Atkins to take him out of games. Then that just leaves Dunlap.

Let's be reminded that this defensive coordinator had three of his most important players in the locker room celebrating a playoff win with the game still in progress.

Lewis, Guenther, Alexander and Zampese; coaches who have apparently not established any expectations for their players.
Reply/Quote
I did like the results when we had six dbs vontaze and vinny rey as the linebackers Atkins, m.j and Dunlap as the down lineman both times we blitzed..first time we sent vinny and Shawn Williams off the right side forcing brady to throw it away...The second time it was first drive of second half we blitzed josh shaw off the slot while m.j slanted inside sacking brady..I think this package has the speed and flexibility to cause some confusion
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 02:31 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: Geathers v Dunlap - Dunlap
Mj v mj - wash
Pat sims v Atkins- Atkins
Peko v peko - wash
Dhani v Burfict - burfict
Rey m v Rey m - wash
Keith rivers v Dansby - wash
Jjo v jones - wash
Hall v Kirk- hall
Roy Williams v Shawn Williams.....
Crocker v iloka - iloka

The talent disparity is real Fred.  Zimmer took mostly garbage outside of our CB's and made them mediocre.  Over a couple of seasons Zimmer had them at a top 5 defense.  Paul G has turned a top 5 defense into mediocre with unquestionably more talent. 

Please don't compare the two teams.

Look at what hes doing in Minnesota with a bunch of Bengals retreads and no namers. Vikings have one of the best defenses in the league. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 01:21 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: As far as coaching goes, I am a baseball guy, and have never coached or played a snap of organized football.

So let me throw this out there.  We have the same DC as we had last year.  I believe we had the number two defense as far as points allowed and was only 1 point away from the front runner?

If that's true, and we have the same DC, do we really believe that HE is the issue and not the fact that we have a few new faces from last year?  Gilberry, Lamur, and Nelson gone.  Hunt, Dansby, and Williams in place of???

This is a legitimate question, but I will offer that the loss of Vance Joseph is overlooked.  He had the secondary playing aggressive, and they were up on receivers. Coyle has the Bengals back in the "Third and Artrell(Hawkins)" days, where they are just hoping a QB makes a mistake, which doesn't happen because there is also little to no pass rush. 

I am one that puts more on a coach than many.  The saying about it not being Xs and Os, but Jims and Joes, doesn't account for the coach getting the most out of their Jims and Joes.  

People trashed me for bringing up Harbaugh as who I would want to coach this team, but does anyone think that he couldn't do significantly better with the talent we have?  Why are these coaches so reluctant to change a philosophy that isn't working?  It drives me crazy.  
Reply/Quote
Paulie G.. Lol, looks like a fat guy trying to be a member of the show Jersey Shore for Halloween.
Reply/Quote
I don't blame Guenther yet. He's working with a Dline coach that has been out of the league for years, and a LB coach that has never had strong defenses (some laughable ones in Washington). He needs to push to fire some of his assistant coaches.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 11:26 AM)jj22 Wrote: I don't blame Guenther yet. He's working with a Dline coach that has been out of the league for years, and a LB coach that has never had strong defenses (some laughable ones in Washington). He needs to push to fire some of his assistant coaches.

Burney was out a couple of years, but his past resume ain't all that bad.  Haslett, on the other hand.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Same DC, different lb coach, different line coach, different secondary coach..Seems to be a theme there..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We are currently 25th in DVOA for defense, yet there is an excessive focus on the offensive line's deficiencies.  We are 28th against tight ends and 29th in passing defense against running backs, while overall being #24 against the pass and #18 against the run.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef
“I’m Pacman Jones n****, what the [expletive] I got on me?”
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 05:16 PM)lostpoet2 Wrote: We are currently 25th in DVOA for defense, yet there is an excessive focus on the offensive line's deficiencies.  We are 28th against tight ends and 29th in passing defense against running backs, while overall being #24 against the pass and #18 against the run.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

It's more concerning given the fact that this team takes pride in being a defensive team. Also were 27th in redzone defense this season last season we were 4th.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 04:18 PM)Wyche Wrote: Hell, he's on the bench.  From my vantage point, Clarke has outproduced him in limited action.

Yes he has outplayed him

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 03:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While I agree that conceptually we need to blitz...we haven't had good pass rushing LB's in years...so then you have to safety blitz and put CB's in man coverage. That leads to huge plays if you don't get there.

The front 4 alone is not getting pressure on the QB.

It would be so awesome if we drafted a LB capable of getting 10 sacks a year.
These LBs can't cover so they might as well blitz...same result.
Reply/Quote
We definitely gotta create more pressure. We're trying to keep the heat off of our secondary by playing a lot of vanilla zone but against guys like Brady, that will just get shredded every time. We've done a good job at eliminating the big plays, but we've traded that in for basically giving offenses a free pass for anything under 10 yards. We gotta find the happy medium here.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 02:00 AM)Derrick Wrote: These LBs can't cover so they might as well blitz...same result.

When was the last time you saw a CB or S blitz on this team...so predictable.  I actually think Josh Shaw could excel at this...but we will never change to try and improve.  It is just the same ol' block better, tackle better....I am starting to understand this...it takes the focus off their lame-ass, predictable scheme.  

What I wouldn't give for a HC and staff with aggression and balls.  

Dear Santa,....
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 10:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: When was the last time you saw a CB or S blitz on this team...so predictable.

Shawn Williams has blitzed multiple times and has even been credited with two "QB hurries".  You either don't watch the ganes or have no idea what you are seeing.

(10-20-2016, 10:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: What I wouldn't give for a HC and staff with aggression and balls.  

You wouldn't know one if you saw him.

Can't find the more recent numbers but in '14 Marvin Lewis was ranked as the 12 most aggressive coach by FooballOutsiders (based on going for it on fourth down)

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/aggressiveness-index-2014

If all it took to be a good coach was to blitz every down then every coach would be blitzing every down.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 05:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Shawn Williams has blitzed multiple times and has even been credited with two "QB hurries".  You either don't watch the ganes or have no idea what you are seeing.

You wouldn't know one if you saw him.

Can't find the more recent numbers but in '14 Marvin Lewis was ranked as the 12 most aggressive coach by FooballOutsiders (based on going for it on fourth down)

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/aggressiveness-index-2014

If all it took to be a good coach was to blitz every down then every coach would be blitzing every down.

Tell me the number of blitzes by Shawn Williams and any safety or CB on the Bengals as a percentage of defensive snaps, oh picker of the cherries, and I think you will start to get my point (this time, it isn't the one on top of your head).

As far as going for it on fourth down being the yardstick for a coach's balls, that mere suggestion shows your complete ignorance as a fan.  Whenever a team is trailing, and has the ball late in a game, a coach has no choice but to go for it on fourth down.  It also ignores the situation of fourth down, such as field position, distance to gain, etc.

And I didn't say that all the Bengals need to do is blitz more often.  It is a combination of a number of things.  It is a matter of being more aggressive in not being so vanilla in their schemes on both sides of the ball.  It is having your defenders not giving up such a cushion that you don't give up any big plays, but you die a slow death by having uncontested short passes and no pressure on the QB.  It is running the ball with an extra TE in to an 8 man front because the defense isn't challenged by more than two receivers in a pattern.  

Sorry that your understanding is so basic that you believe that aggressiveness is simply a matter of going for it on fourth down.  I really look forward to your analysis on the % of CB and S blitzes in all defensive snaps....and the source.  
Reply/Quote