Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Peko Played A Hell Of A Game
For as much hate as he gets on this board, Peko played a hell of a game, even if it didn't show up in the stats.

I always say his job as a NT in a 4-3 is just to hold his place and clog up the middle, but he was actually getting a good push into the backfield on a lot of plays and was opening lanes for backers and even just causing the QB and RBs to have to change direction.

It seems like he's been playing that well all season, so let's hope he keeps it up!!

Unappreciated player played a hell of a game!
Reply/Quote
Sure he did! I saw him jump up and do some sort of celebration, when he didn't even make the play.

I guess that is the that locker room enthusiasm that they keep speaking of?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 08:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: For as much hate as he gets on this board, Peko played a hell of a game, even if it didn't show up in the stats.

I always say his job as a NT in a 4-3 is just to hold his place and clog up the middle, but he was actually getting a good push into the backfield on a lot of plays and was opening lanes for backers and even just causing the QB and RBs to have to change direction.

It seems like he's been playing that well all season, so let's hope he keeps it up!!

You're about to have a lot of ratings and ranking thrown at you..... Yawn

Looks like he's playing alright to me too, but I've never been one of the people who claim he is total gah-bage.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 08:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: For as much hate as he gets on this board, Peko played a hell of a game, even if it didn't show up in the stats.

Peko always plays well. Nothing new there.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 08:52 PM)jason Wrote: You're about to have a lot of ratings and ranking thrown at you..... Yawn

Looks like he's playing alright to me too, but I've never been one of the people who claim he is total gah-bage.

Completely fine with me because I'll just say "read a book on the structure of NFL 4-3 defenses and then go watch the tape."
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 08:54 PM)Joe Pong Wrote: Peko always plays well. Nothing new there.

That's not true at all.   Some days, he plays on roller skates.  Yesterday, he didn't go backwards much at all.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

Peko doesn't get hate.  He gets evaluation.  Some people seem unclear on the difference.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 10:18 PM)McC Wrote: Peko doesn't get hate.  He gets evaluation.  Some people seem unclear on the difference.  

Bingo !

Some on here can't have a discussion of a players abilities without calling it hate.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 10:18 PM)McC Wrote: Peko doesn't get hate.  He gets evaluation.  Some people seem unclear on the difference.  

agreed
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote

(09-28-2015, 11:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Bingo !

Some on here can't have a discussion of a players abilities without calling it hate.

(09-28-2015, 11:26 PM)magikod Wrote: agreed

Disagree.

If people evaluated his play like they should and understood what a nose tackle's responsibility is in a 4-3 defense, they'd know that Peko does his job pretty well, even if he's not making splash plays.

Yesterday, however, he did play especially well and was in the backfield a lot because he pushed the center backwards.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 12:39 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Disagree.

If people evaluated his play like they should and understood what a nose tackle's responsibility is in a 4-3 defense, they'd know that Peko does his job pretty well, even if he's not making splash plays.

Yesterday, however, he did play especially well and was in the backfield a lot because he pushed the center backwards.

For god's sake. This is the laziest excuse for Peko's shit play the last 3 years. 
People know what a 4-3 NT is supposed to do Brad. 
Peko doesn't do it.
No one wants splash plays. They want consistent NT play. He rarely delivers that. His job is to eat blocks and help control the LOS.
We saw last year, when Geno isn't doing the heavy lifting, Peko is not good. 
Reply/Quote
If the idea is to REALLY evaluate Peko then you need some pretty detailed stats. Things like:

a) Opponent YPC running inside versus running outside

b) YPC with Peko in versus out

c) Comparative stats on pressures and such - the problem here is our defensive sets frequently go to 3 DE and 1 DT (Atkins) on passing downs.
Reply/Quote
I thought he made some good plays. Key to him is keeping him fresh. Rotation, rotation & again rotation.
Reply/Quote
Flawed logic, flawed logic everywhere.

First of all, the entire premise of the "hey, this guy played 1 good game, so HA! TOLD YOU SO TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT BASHED HIM LAST YEAR!" type of posts is absurd if you actually have a functioning brain. Nobody said that it's impossible for Peko to ever have a solid game again in his career, so let's calm down with that type of shit real quick.

As it has already been pointed out, no Brad, you aren't among the only people on here that know what a 4-3 NT is supposed to be doing. Most of us that waste way too much time discussing the details of this team know exactly what Peko's role is, and he just hasn't been doing it very well for the past 1-2 years now.

Peko's criticism over the last 2 seasons has been absolutely warranted. People aren't just making shit up for funsies and whatnot, he was really bad last year and pretty damn bad in 2013. Does that mean he never had a meaningful snap in those 2 seasons? No. Does that mean he was getting pushed out of the play on every single rush? No. It just means that he was being abused more often than the average NT, and that's just how things happened. Nobody is making it up, nobody is blindly following what other people are saying, we all have eyes and watch the games.

Peko played well on Sunday, there's no doubting that. To act like 1 or 2 games of solid play negates the last 2 years of mediocrity or worse? GTFO. Yes, some of us have exaggerated how bad Peko has been at times, but his play has been far from pretty since the beginning of the 2013 season.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 08:54 AM)djs7685 Wrote: Flawed logic, flawed logic everywhere.

First of all, the entire premise of the "hey, this guy played 1 good game, so HA! TOLD YOU SO TO ALL THE PEOPLE THAT BASHED HIM LAST YEAR!" type of posts is absurd if you actually have a functioning brain. Nobody said that it's impossible for Peko to ever have a solid game again in his career, so let's calm down with that type of shit real quick.

As it has already been pointed out, no Brad, you aren't among the only people on here that know what a 4-3 NT is supposed to be doing. Most of us that waste way too much time discussing the details of this team know exactly what Peko's role is, and he just hasn't been doing it very well for the past 1-2 years now.

Peko's criticism over the last 2 seasons has been absolutely warranted. People aren't just making shit up for funsies and whatnot, he was really bad last year and pretty damn bad in 2013. Does that mean he never had a meaningful snap in those 2 seasons? No. Does that mean he was getting pushed out of the play on every single rush? No. It just means that he was being abused more often than the average NT, and that's just how things happened. Nobody is making it up, nobody is blindly following what other people are saying, we all have eyes and watch the games.

Peko played well on Sunday, there's no doubting that. To act like 1 or 2 games of solid play negates the last 2 years of mediocrity or worse? GTFO. Yes, some of us have exaggerated how bad Peko has been at times, but his play has been far from pretty since the beginning of the 2013 season.

First off, I don't think I've ever seen any of the haters acknowledge that Peko has ever played even a decent game.  Sunday, he played beyond a solid game, he played a hell of a game, which the haters would just wait for a bad game and jump all over that, which most of his games aren't even bad, they're just not flashy.

People definitely made it up to sound like they know what they're talking about and then other people jumped on the bandwagon because it was a safe way to make them feel credible by bashing a guy that doesn't stand out in his play, so no one would defend him.

Everyone is watching the player with the ball or when the ends/Geno start to get pressure, but no one pays attention to Peko clogging the middle, which Sunday he went above and beyond, but no one would have mentioned it.

I highly doubt you evaluated his play enough over the past two years to make a statement like it's been mediocre or worse because not many people ever watch a NT.  I doubt you even watched enough of him on Sunday to make a statement that he played well, but it's me so you feel the need to come in and act like a hard ass, as you do in response to a lot of my posts, which, by the way, is hilarious, so keep it up.
Reply/Quote
Agreed.

Let's just hope he plays a hell of a game against the Chiefs, Seahawks, Bills.......you get the picture.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2015, 08:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sure he did!  I saw him jump up and do some sort of celebration, when he didn't even make the play.

I guess that is the that locker room enthusiasm that they keep speaking of?

True.  I remember the play well because the announcers proclaimed Peko made the play.  But I will say this, he clogged the lane forcing the RB to go laterally which essentially ended the play.  That's why he celebrated.  Got to give the pick guy his due because he has played very well.... at least from my eyes.
Reply/Quote

you use the word Hell alot....
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 09:37 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: First off, I don't think I've ever seen any of the haters acknowledge that Peko has ever played even a decent game.  Sunday, he played beyond a solid game, he played a hell of a game, which the haters would just wait for a bad game and jump all over that, which most of his games aren't even bad, they're just not flashy.

People definitely made it up to sound like they know what they're talking about and then other people jumped on the bandwagon because it was a safe way to make them feel credible by bashing a guy that doesn't stand out in his play, so no one would defend him.

Everyone is watching the player with the ball or when the ends/Geno start to get pressure, but no one pays attention to Peko clogging the middle, which Sunday he went above and beyond, but no one would have mentioned it.

I highly doubt you evaluated his play enough over the past two years to make a statement like it's been mediocre or worse because not many people ever watch a NT.  I doubt you even watched enough of him on Sunday to make a statement that he played well, but it's me so you feel the need to come in and act like a hard ass, as you do in response to a lot of my posts, which, by the way, is hilarious, so keep it up.

1. I couldn't care less who created this thread. My post would be identical regardless. I find it funny that you're accusing me of this when I've NEVER seen you in any of the in-depth Peko arguments so far on the new boards. I've been involved in many of them, where were you?

2. Many of us have acknowledged whenever Peko has played well. It just hasn't happened many times over the last couple of seasons. It's not because he's "not flashy", NT isn't typically a "flashy" position in a 4-3 defense, so that's not what most of us are complaining about. If you want to cry about those people, go ahead and cry about them, but don't lump everyone into one group when there are those of us that clearly know Peko's role.

3. STOP acting like you're the only person that watches football and pays attention to certain parts of the field. You're not. I promise you that. No matter what absurd stance you decide to constantly take, you don't "win" arguments by just claiming that nobody else watches anybody on the field without the ball. I know at least a few guys that post on here that are MUCH more qualified than a guy like you to talk about 4-3 NT play. Those guys happen to believe that Peko hasn't been very good lately and has been declining pretty hard after 2012.

4. People have already made mention to Peko playing well on Sunday. You aren't some visionary for starting a thread about it. Stop patting yourself on the back for something so silly.

5. Don't say that "everyone" watches the ball and "no one" pays attention to Peko and then claim that you just sit there and watch Peko the entire time. It makes you look stupid. I'm sure you have no idea why though.

You're a joke, and no one takes you seriously Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2015, 10:12 AM)djs7685 Wrote: 1. I couldn't care less who created this thread. My post would be identical regardless. I find it funny that you're accusing me of this when I've NEVER seen you in any of the in-depth Peko arguments so far on the new boards. I've been involved in many of them, where were you?

2. Many of us have acknowledged whenever Peko has played well. It just hasn't happened many times over the last couple of seasons. It's not because he's "not flashy", NT isn't typically a "flashy" position in a 4-3 defense, so that's not what most of us are complaining about. If you want to cry about those people, go ahead and cry about them, but don't lump everyone into one group when there are those of us that clearly know Peko's role.

3. STOP acting like you're the only person that watches football and pays attention to certain parts of the field. You're not. I promise you that. No matter what absurd stance you decide to constantly take, you don't "win" arguments by just claiming that nobody else watches anybody on the field without the ball. I know at least a few guys that post on here that are MUCH more qualified than a guy like you to talk about 4-3 NT play. Those guys happen to believe that Peko hasn't been very good lately and has been declining pretty hard after 2012.

4. People have already made mention to Peko playing well on Sunday. You aren't some visionary for starting a thread about it. Stop patting yourself on the back for something so silly.

5. Don't say that "everyone" watches the ball and "no one" pays attention to Peko and then claim that you just sit there and watch Peko the entire time. It makes you look stupid. I'm sure you have no idea why though.

You're a joke, and no one takes you seriously Rolleyes

Do you ever post without arguing with someone? You seem to be one of those guys who got picked on too much in school and on here you act 10 foot tall and bullet proof. You're shtick is getting very old.
Reply/Quote