Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peko news
Apparently, the Vikings, Eagles and 49ers are all interested.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/domata-peko-generating-interest-from-vikings-others/

Personally, I'm indifferent to Peko at this point. I don't think he's been as bad as some think, but he is 32 now and declining.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Apparently, the Vikings, Eagles and 49ers are all interested.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/domata-peko-generating-interest-from-vikings-others/

Personally, I'm indifferent to Peko. I don't think he's been as bad as some think, but he is 32 now and declining.

This is my position on the guy as well.  When you have more needs, and a guy is on the decline, cut bait and free up cash.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I am surprised teams are interested honestly.

32 year old DT that just takes up space, go ahead and have him.

Let him leave please. Add a young guy to the group.

I have high hopes for an Atkins/Geno DT lineup to go along with Dunlap and a talented rookie.
Reply/Quote
Great, this would be the bidding war we actually won!

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Me to those teams interested in Peko:

[Image: 96860d78102a06601c8d579356a84f049ef01d5d...e41efc.jpg]
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I hope Peko signs a huge deal. Helps with the comp picks for next year.
Reply/Quote
So I have read the Bengals want to bring Peko back to 'Mentor Billings'

This is hysterical to me, it's so non sensical and just like the Reds pulling Arroyo out of the grave to have in camp - Worthless and adds no value (These franchises are very similar, IMO)

Anyway, back to football

The Bengals want to bring back Peko

Old, Slow, 'Motor' guy, who is aging and has been a long time bengal (Who cares)

They want him to mentor Billings - who has not taken a pre season snap yet

They already employ coaches for this sort of stuff

They want to spend money, and 2% of their roster on a truley useless player

Then, even if Peko could 'mentor' billings to be Warren Sapp, they will just let him walk in 3 years anyway.
Reply/Quote
Good! Then the team will be forced to upgrade the position via FA. One would have to assume if they're serious about finding a mentor for Billings they'd bring in someone with some game experience. And, quite frankly, as long as it's not Peko I'll be happy
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure I like the implications of resigning guys just to be mentors. Any veteran who happens to be around can mentor the rooks, in one way or another. Besides, that sort of thing just begs conflict between mentors and coaches (and lawd knows the Bengals have their coaching issues). It already seems like Burfict is doing more coaching than the coaches.
Reply/Quote
Peko has been a great Bengal.

I wish him the best and hope he gets a fat contract with another team.
Reply/Quote
You guys are ridiculous. Peko has been a great Bengal, and for years was a force on the line. Yes, he is getting older and needs more relief to still play. But, he has the game experience, the know how to stay healthy in this league (which is a biggie) and is a leader in the locker room, and that's exactly what you look for when you are looking for a mentor for a young player. The Peko hatred is ridiculous.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys are ridiculous. Peko has been a great Bengal, and for years was a force on the line. Yes, he is getting older and needs more relief to still play. But, he has the game experience, the know how to stay healthy in this league (which is a biggie) and is a leader in the locker room, and that's exactly what you look for when you are looking for a mentor for a young player. The Peko hatred is ridiculous.

It's not personal. He's just a shell of what he used to be. It's time to move on. I don't care what he did for us in the past, his play has drastically falls off. No use keeping him around if he's dead weight. 
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys are ridiculous. Peko has been a great Bengal, and for years was a force on the line. Yes, he is getting older and needs more relief to still play. But, he has the game experience, the know how to stay healthy in this league (which is a biggie) and is a leader in the locker room, and that's exactly what you look for when you are looking for a mentor for a young player. The Peko hatred is ridiculous.

So is paying him 4.5 million bucks, when other, younger players are possibly leaving because the team "doesn't have the cap space".

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:07 PM)Sled21 Wrote: You guys are ridiculous. Peko has been a great Bengal, and for years was a force on the line. Yes, he is getting older and needs more relief to still play. But, he has the game experience, the know how to stay healthy in this league (which is a biggie) and is a leader in the locker room, and that's exactly what you look for when you are looking for a mentor for a young player. The Pueko hatred is ridiculous.

This is the EXACT mindset that Mike Brown has, and it kills this franchise every year. LOYALTY > PERFORMANCE = NO PLAYOFF WINS!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 02:41 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Apparently, the Vikings, Eagles and 49ers are all interested.

Personally, I'm indifferent to Peko at this point. I don't think he's been as bad as some think, but he is 32 now and declining.

Oh, no.  Who will mentor Billings?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I am perfectly fine if he signs elsewhere. But if he comes back, hopefully he wont teach Billings to do this during playoff games like the last one..

[Image: thepekoman.0.gif]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote

Maybe him being such a great mentor will be just as impactful as Whit and Winston taking Ogbuehi under their wing... I don't know how he could have looked so good without their help.  

I think that is a line we have been brainwashed in to thinking. Wtf do we pay coaches for if the veteran players are the ones who have to coach up other players?

We have a glut of young DTs that need to see the field. Billings, Hardison, we will probably draft one and Thompson is still here. 

We sometimes keep 3 often 4 DTs on the 53 man roster. Keeping old washed up Peko over a young guy ensures we are not developing a replacement and one of they guys we have recently drafted with a mid round pick is off the roster. 

And I would rather have Atkins one of the best DTs in the league who is under contract be the mentor/leader.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:24 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I am perfectly fine if he signs elsewhere. But if he comes back, hopefully he wont teach Billings to do this during playoff games like the last one..

[Image: thepekoman.0.gif]

I was so pissed when he did that.  Ten years in the league and you're still capable of this?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Bengals obviously want Peko to be John Thorton 2.0

Like Peko as a locker room presence but indifferent to him as a starting player.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 04:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: So is paying him 4.5 million bucks, when other, younger players are possibly leaving because the team "doesn't have the cap space".

Well I would suppose any deal they bring him back on would probably be a year for a whole lot less than that.....
Reply/Quote