Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peko on Bengals attitude
We can talk about an undefeated season, but that doesn't mean it is likely to happen. They can talk about championships but they are a long way off from one.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Well Peko is right about the mindset and we are right about him being washed up and being part of the problem when he was here.

These mediocre players are the type we should of been upgrading, not holding onto far past their prime.

How was he part of the problem? The team kept him, the coaches ran him out there. Someone wants to pay you and send you out there are you going to say no thanks?

The issue here is the issue it has been since the early 90's. Mike Brown and whatever lap dog he has on the sidelines as coach.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Nope. 

This falls under the category of where there is smoke, there is fire.

Guys leave, guys talk about the mindset here, the way things are done here that are wrong, they ***** about Mike Brown and then...here on a message board people get upset and call them washed up or get butt-hurt.

I find it funny, Peko said the same thing we've said for years, but when he says it people get upset. This team has the wrong coach, owner and mindset. 

Oh, I agree with Peko totally.....but part of the problem was hanging on to guys that maybe should have been gone a year or so earlier...and Peko fit that category.  Of course, I would be remiss not to mention that maybe taking a guy like Billings was finally addressing the issue that Peko was beyond being more than a rotational guy at this point.  Too bad he got hurt in training camp.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:06 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Nope. 

This falls under the category of where there is smoke, there is fire.

Guys leave, guys talk about the mindset here, the way things are done here that are wrong, they ***** about Mike Brown and then...here on a message board people get upset and call them washed up or get butt-hurt.

I find it funny, Peko said the same thing we've said for years, but when he says it people get upset. This team has the wrong coach, owner and mindset. 

Was just thinking the same thing lol and in typical peko fashion he said it in about the nicest way possible. I have no problem with it, he's talking up his new team like he's supposed to and it is clearly the truth
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: How was he part of the problem? The team kept him, the coaches ran him out there. Someone wants to pay you and send you out there are you going to say no thanks?

The issue here is the issue it has been since the early 90's. Mike Brown and whatever lap dog he has on the sidelines as coach.

His poor play at times was a problem don't you think Murdock?

The coaches were and are the bigger problem for sure, they should of got an upgrade at DT years ago.

Just happy we finally moved on from two of these types of players, Maualuga being the other one.

Billings and Minter should help this team immensely, just the types we needed, they are not one trick ponys like Peko and Maualuga.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 12:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Interesting comments from Peko. I think this is something that us fans have already known for awhile though...

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/864586114505596928

[Image: C_-gai1UIAAC68I.jpg]

We've Known peko should have been gone a long time ago.. ill tell you that.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:12 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: How was he part of the problem? The team kept him, the coaches ran him out there. Someone wants to pay you and send you out there are you going to say no thanks?

his level of play was the problem he wasn't very good often on rollerskates moving backwards... wasting all his energy on his belly dance for his 1 good play a game,.
Reply/Quote
He missed a lot of tackles because he had bad vision. He was also getting pushed around way to much for his size.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: His poor play at times was a problem don't you think Murdock?

The coaches were and are the bigger problem for sure, they should of got an upgrade at DT years ago.

Just happy we finally moved on from two of these types of players, Maualuga being the other one.

Billings and Minter should help this team immensely, just the types we needed, they are not one trick ponys like Peko and Maualuga.

(05-17-2017, 02:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: his level of play was the problem he wasn't very good often on rollerskates moving backwards... wasting all his energy on his belly dance for his 1 good play a game,.

Yes his play slipped off, and once again is that the player's fault or the coaching staff's fault for not having a replacement or having a plan?

If someone paid me millions of dollars to do a job, and my abilities slipped but they kept paying me and sending me out there each day who is actually to blame? 

No one on this board would say "Here, take this money back I'm not good enough now."  

His play has slipped, but I still think he'd be useful in a rotational or limited role which is exactly what he'll be in Denver and he'll probably be pretty successful. He's not a multi-down starter but with the right coaching staff I'd bet they find a use for him there and he plays limited but productive snaps.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 12:50 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Irony is that Bengals now have a better shot at winning a playoff game/championship without Peko.  Props to him for his time and contribution here, but it was time to move on from Peko about 2 years ago.

If I had a dollar for every person that said the current team has a better shot at winning a playoff game that particular upcoming season, Id be rich beyond my wildest dreams..... and no the Bengals aren't winning a playoff game this year no matter how much they tear it up in the season.*

*See Marvin Lewis history
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 02:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Yes his play slipped off, and once again is that the player's fault or the coaching staff's fault for not having a replacement or having a plan?

If someone paid me millions of dollars to do a job, and my abilities slipped but they kept paying me and sending me out there each day who is actually to blame? 

No one on this board would say "Here, take this money back I'm not good enough now."  

His play has slipped, but I still think he'd be useful in a rotational or limited role which is exactly what he'll be in Denver and he'll probably be pretty successful. He's not a multi-down starter but with the right coaching staff I'd bet they find a use for him there and he plays limited but productive snaps.

I did say that the coaches were/are the bigger problem, but that does not mean when a player plays poorly they are not a problem either.

Happy he is in Denver is all i can say and we finally can see some young talent get a shot.

Just watch this D-line improve this year big time. Cool
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 12:45 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Interesting comments from Peko. I think this is something that us fans have already known for awhile though...

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/864586114505596928

[Image: C_-gai1UIAAC68I.jpg]

Precisely my point. The Bengals and us Bengals fans have elevated winning a single playoff game to mythical status...when most of the league has won 5+ game since our last win.
Reply/Quote
I think a lot of you guys are kind of missing the point of what he was saying/what the topic is about. 

This isn't about Peko and his role on those teams, its about the attitude of the franchise and what they consider a "success". Yeah, Peko was part of those teams but that doesn't mean he shared the same attitude or was the sole reason for that attitude.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 12:50 PM)Lionel Hutz Wrote: Irony is that Bengals now have a better shot at winning a playoff game/championship without Peko.  Props to him for his time and contribution here, but it was time to move on from Peko about 2 years ago.

Do we? We had arguably a Top 3 NFL roster for a couple years and didn't win one.

We now likely have one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL.

IF you count on 3-4 rookies playing at near Pro Bowl level we might have a shot at a championship. I think it's going to take guys like Billings, Jackson, Ross, and Mixon some time to develop.
Reply/Quote
So he was a leader/Captain and did nothing about this?

[Image: sour-grapes.jpg]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 01:45 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Don't quite put a feather in the teams cap here by letting him go. It was overdue.

Yeah...when we had a great roster...you have to wonder what would have happened had we replaced Maualuga and Peko.

In some ways, it's easier to do it after a 6-10 season than when you have a Top 3 roster and spending to get the team to the top.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think a lot of you guys are kind of missing the point of what he was saying/what the topic is about. 

This isn't about Peko and his role on those teams, its about the attitude of the franchise and what they consider a "success". Yeah, Peko was part of those teams but that doesn't mean he shared the same attitude or was the sole reason for that attitude.

I give Marv a lot of crap, but you can't tell me for a second that Marv and his staff go around saying there goal is to win a playoff game. I mean, really. I put this into him hearing all the noise from the fans and media about it, and got sick of it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:18 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I think a lot of you guys are kind of missing the point of what he was saying/what the topic is about. 

Precisely!

It's the same attitude that the fanbase has. We don't talk about winning Super Bowls. We talk about making the playoffs and winning 1 game.

When you haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years...that makes sense.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:03 PM)GodFather Wrote: If I had a dollar for every person that said the current team has a better shot at winning a playoff game that particular upcoming season, Id be rich beyond my wildest dreams..... and no the Bengals aren't winning a playoff game this year no matter how much they tear it up in the season.*

*See Marvin Lewis history

Agreed! We have one of the worst...if not the worst offensive line in football.

We've added a couple shiny weapons on offense and people are talking playoff and Super Bowl.

We've yet to replace guys like Nelson and Hall. We've yet to replace Whitworth and Zeitler with capable players. Andre Smith may soften the blow of losing Zeitler...but he's injured a lot. When we drafted him there was that image of him running shirtless at his combine and we wondered how he'd age. He's just not an incredibly fit guy and that may lead to injuries.

On paper, this roster is nowhere close to our roster of 2 years ago.

People are projecting Mixon and Ross to be Pro Bowl caliber guys from Day 1...I just don't see it.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 03:24 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: I give Marv a lot of crap, but you can't tell me for a second that Marv and his staff go around saying there goal is to win a playoff game. I mean, really. I put this into him hearing all the noise from the fans and media about it, and got sick of it.

If they admit it or not, can you imagine anything different than wanting to win a playoff game? He is undisputedly the worst coach in the playoffs. It can't even be argued any differently without a 12 pack and a freaken wild imagination?

Reply/Quote