Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peko on Bengals attitude
(05-17-2017, 03:56 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: So peko is complaining we didn't cut him sooner?   Players are the ones on the Field... Peko is a DT we have been ran all over in our playoff games.. what was he doing?  Good for the team stuff like running onto the field from the bench during the Pitt playoff game.?    If this came from someone playing at a high level I would listen more closely.

He's simply stating that the organizational culture here for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years isn't like that of other teams in the NFL.

For instance, how many GM's keep there jobs after not winning a playoff game for 5 years? Well ours hasn't won one in 26+ years.

How many coaches have an epic playoff meltdown like Marvin did against the Steelers...his 5th straight playoff loss...and keep their job?

My last 2 sentences are evidence that the Bengals aren't like the other NFL teams.
Reply/Quote
It's the mindset of a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26 years. It's only natural.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 08:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's simply stating that the organizational culture here for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years isn't like that of other teams in the NFL.

For instance, how many GM's keep there jobs after not winning a playoff game for 5 years? Well ours hasn't won one in 26+ years.

How many coaches have an epic playoff meltdown like Marvin did against the Steelers...his 5th straight playoff loss...and keep their job?

My last 2 sentences are evidence that the Bengals aren't like the other NFL teams.
Maybe if he had ever played well or even made a play in any of those playoff games, he might have earned the right to talk.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 08:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's simply stating that the organizational culture here for a team that hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years isn't like that of other teams in the NFL.

That's pretty much how I see it.  Personally, I don't know how I can possibly find the time to wonder why super passionate players aren't lining up to play for Mike and Marvin AS WELL AS sit here and wonder why super models aren't lining up to hop in the sack with my ugly, broke ass.

At the same time, the Bengals shooting for a playoff win is a logical, if somewhat anti-climactic quote/claim.  Think about how Hue got blasted for mentioning the Browns vying for a title when he should have said "Hey, 3 wins would be a huge improvement!"
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Exactly !

He's simply stating what many of us have been complaining about for years - the culture here isn't one of winning, there's no discipline, no true single focus in all aspects of the game on the ultimate goal.

Yes they tweak around the edges here and there but if Mike really wanted to win Marvin would have been gone years ago.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 08:52 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe if he had ever played well or even made a play in any of those playoff games, he might have earned the right to talk.

This is worth mentioning again. Let's not pretend that our QB, run game and run defense haven't played a part in said epic collapses.

We might as well start blaming AJ, AD, Burfict and Geno because they are also apart of the problem of Being content with a playoff win. They are also winless in the playoffs.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I don't question their motive or will for wanting to win a SB. I question their approach to those playoff games.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 09:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

He's simply stating what many of us have been complaining about for years - the culture here isn't one of winning, there's no discipline, no true single focus in all aspects of the game on the ultimate goal.

Yes they tweak around the edges here and there but if Mike really wanted to win Marvin would have been gone years ago.

Because mike had winning records before marvin?
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 09:29 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly !

That's debatable. There is a culture of winning, as the Bengals have continually had winning records in the regular season. So that one is all based on what you consider "winning culture".
There is a single focus which is winning a playoff game. It may not be the focus some fans prefer, but I think all fans would be satisfied with (at least) one playoff win.

The milestones for every team should be:
1) Avoid losing season
2) Have a winning record
3) Make playoffs
4) Win playoff game(s)
5) Make conference championship game
6) Make Super Bowl
7) Win Super Bowl

The Bengals have accomplished 1-3 and are now on milestone #4. Achieve that first then focus on the next.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So is what he said true? Would bengals Fandom be happy with JUST winning a playoff game??? the last time I saw that happen I was watching it on a 13 inch tube TV.., LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2017, 08:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And this can go on for the next umpteen years and some fans will continue to defend the organization.

At the start of the season, teams shoot their arrow at a target called 'the Super Bowl.' The Bengals are like every other team in the NFL. This organization has been so inept for so long of a time that we moved the target to 'playoff appearances' because they don't want to invest in winning it all.

Isn't this what fans do? I don't think there is a poster on here that doesn't defend this organization that doesn't have a beef with they way things turnout. I'm going to say I think Peko is partially full of crap. I can't believe that as an organization we sit around all offseason saying, "Gosh, our goal is to win 1 playoff game".  I also think winning a playoff game will boost the confidence level of everyone involved and we could get on a run and win it all. 
IMO, the window isn't closing. This team has talent! Denver's last SB, they won it because of defense. Manning couldn't pass the ball more than 10 yards without it looking painful. We have a young fast defense that could dominate like Denver's D did. So thanks to Denver for taking this slob off our hands.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 10:42 AM)ochocincos Wrote: That's debatable. There is a culture of winning, as the Bengals have continually had winning records in the regular season. So that one is all based on what you consider "winning culture".
There is a single focus which is winning a playoff game. It may not be the focus some fans prefer, but I think all fans would be satisfied with (at least) one playoff win.

The milestones for every team should be:
1) Avoid losing season
2) Have a winning record
3) Make playoffs
4) Win playoff game(s)
5) Make conference championship game
6) Make Super Bowl
7) Win Super Bowl

The Bengals have accomplished 1-3 and are now on milestone #4. Achieve that first then focus on the next.

Compare us to our peers in the league. This is what's happened since our last playoff win:

- 23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. 72% of the league
- Every team besides the Browns, Texans and Lions has won at least 4 playoff games
- 11 teams have won at least 11 playoff games
- 26 teams have at least 5 playoff wins, which is how many the Bengals have in their 49 year history
- 13 teams have been to multiple Super Bowls 
- 14 teams have won a Super Bowl

Here's the playoff records for all teams from 1991-2015

Patriots: 25-12
Packers: 19-16
Steelers: 18-14
Ravens: 15-8
Broncos: 15-11
Cowboys: 14-10
49ers: 14-11
Colts: 14-15
Seahawks: 12-10
Eagles: 12-13
Giants: 11-7
Panthers: 9-7
Bills: 8-7 (3rd longest streak, at 21 seasons)
Saints: 7-7
Jets: 7-8
Chargers: 7-9
Rams: 6-4
Cardinals: 6-5
Redskins: 6-6
Oilers/Titans: 6-9
Falcons: 6-9
Vikings: 6-13
Raiders: 5-5
Jaguars: 5-6
Buccaneers: 5-6
Dolphins: 5-9
Bears: 4-6
Chiefs: 4-11 (broke a 22 year streak last year)
Texans: 2-3 (both wins over Bengals)
Browns: 1-2 (streak is now at 19 seasons)
Lions: 1-8 (their streak is only 1 year shorter)
Bengals: 0-7 (the streak is now up to 26 seasons)

The only teams to not play in a Super Bowl during this span are:

Jets

Dolphins

Browns

Bengals

Texans

Jaguars

Chiefs

Lions

Vikings
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 12:05 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Isn't this what fans do? I don't think there is a poster on here that doesn't defend this organization that doesn't have a beef with they way things turnout. I'm going to say I think Peko is partially full of crap. I can't believe that as an organization we sit around all offseason saying, "Gosh, our goal is to win 1 playoff game".  I also think winning a playoff game will boost the confidence level of everyone involved and we could get on a run and win it all. 
IMO, the window isn't closing. This team has talent! Denver's last SB, they won it because of defense. Manning couldn't pass the ball more than 10 yards without it looking painful. We have a young fast defense that could dominate like Denver's D did. So thanks to Denver for taking this slob off our hands.

And that's precisely the point. We've elevated winning a playoff game to some mythical level. If we can just win one it will boost our confidence.

Really EVERY team in the NFL has talent. Even the Browns.

Since our last playoff win - 72% of the league has been to the Super Bowl.

We've won 5 playoff games in our 50 year franchise existence. 5! Since our last playoff win, 26 teams have 5 playoff wins.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 12:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Here's the playoff records for all teams from 1991-2015

[Image: 9ReRvb8.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 12:38 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Compare us to our peers in the league. This is what's happened since our last playoff win:

- 23 teams have been to a Super Bowl. 72% of the league
- Every team besides the Browns, Texans and Lions has won at least 4 playoff games
- 11 teams have won at least 11 playoff games
- 26 teams have at least 5 playoff wins, which is how many the Bengals have in their 49 year history
- 13 teams have been to multiple Super Bowls 
- 14 teams have won a Super Bowl

Here's the playoff records for all teams from 1991-2015

The only teams to not play in a Super Bowl during this span are:

Jets

Dolphins

Browns

Bengals

Texans

Jaguars

Chiefs

Lions

Vikings

Ok, so all you're really saying is that if the Bengals consider themselves to have a "winning culture" right now, you disagree because of the stats you put up. But you throwing up these stats doesn't mean that someone's opinion that a winning culture could be to have a consistent winning regular season and making that playoffs is not considered a winning culture. It's simply your opinion vs someone else's.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 12:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ok, so all you're really saying is that if the Bengals consider themselves to have a "winning culture" right now, you disagree because of the stats you put up. But you throwing up these stats doesn't mean that someone's opinion that a winning culture could be to have a consistent winning regular season and making that playoffs is not considered a winning culture. It's simply your opinion vs someone else's.

If we never win a SB but just make the playoffs every year and are satisfied of the results (which they seem to be), that is not a winning culture. It is accepting failure and selling it as a victory. You know the old you can polish a turd, but in the end, its just a turd and still smells like shit saying? Much like our acceptance of playoff appearances, without victories.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 01:04 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If we never win a SB but just make the playoffs every year and are satisfied of the results (which they seem to be), that is not a winning culture. It is accepting failure and selling it as a victory. You know the old you can polish a turd, but in the end, its just a turd and still smells like shit saying? Much like our acceptance of playoff appearances, without victories.

I fully understand that, but some on here think that by the Bengals having their focus be to win a playoff game somehow correlates to not caring to win a SB. Why can't people accept that someone would want to think iteratively and achieve a milestone before putting all the focus on the end game?

The way I look at the Bengals approach is like how plenty of people look at weight loss.
Sure, some individuals may put all the focus on losing 50 lbs, but others first look to achieve the loss of 10 lbs. Only once that is accomplished will they start setting higher goals.
Both approaches can work, there's no one way it has to be approached.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
So Peko goes to a team that wants to win a championship, but has no real viable candidate at the QB position.. 
No Mr Peko, you saw the writing on the wall. Age and lack of production was spelling the end of your career in Cincinnati. I don't buy for one minute he left to pursue a championship with a quarterbackless team over one with a well established QB, but it sure makes nice sports page fodder. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Most teams don't even make the playoffs the way we have the last 6 years. And we have a better chance then the team he joined. But don't let me sound like Hobspin to fight back against this attack from Peko. Great job repaying the team for their loyalty to you. Kept you way longer than any other team would have.

Peko should know he'll be remembered for his useless 15 yarder in the playoff meltdown we could have actually won. At least Jones was defending the defensive huddle, and Burfict was knocking Steelers out for us. Peko was just a hangeroner chasing people on the field who weren't even thinking about him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2017, 12:44 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Ok, so all you're really saying is that if the Bengals consider themselves to have a "winning culture" right now, you disagree because of the stats you put up. But you throwing up these stats doesn't mean that someone's opinion that a winning culture could be to have a consistent winning regular season and making that playoffs is not considered a winning culture. It's simply your opinion vs someone else's.

The Bengals DO NOT have a winning culture. They've won a grand total of 5 playoff games in 50 years!

The players themselves come out and talk about how they don't have a winning culture here. Many players have done it.

Teams like the Steelers and Patriots start the year thinking Super Bowl. Anything less is a disappointment.

The Bengals generally fail to beat teams like the Steelers. They also generally don't play well in the big Primetime Games against good teams...and also haven't won a playoff game in 26+ years.

You're shifting the target A LOT to consider this team to have a winning culture.
Reply/Quote